Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-23 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: "Visitor" Etiquette
So of course *my* friends are biased so why not ask here

Been together 13 years......the MIL has always been, well, "odd" is polite. I'll try not to digress, but she rarely visits our home and when she does it's usually when I'm not around. Still waiting for the divorce she is. I go out of my way to make all the right foods (gluten free, nut free, salt free, every diet restriction you can think of, blah blah blah) and am gracious, never saying A WORD oh these 13 years of criticism and belittlement.

Anyway, it's THE oddest behavior ever and I *should* just let it go but I find it almost intrusively offensive. In our prior home, our master bath was actually INSIDE our master bedroom. During family gatherings she would ALWAYS insist on traipsing through our bedroom to use THAT bathroom.

Thanksgiving arrives and in our new house I hear her amble UP the stairs and into our private upstairs bathroom -- which of course wasn't very clean, instead of our guest bathroom? WTH?

So as Christmas is looming I joke about putting "out of order" or leaving a couple of giant sized dildos around the upstairs bathroom, but not sure how to say, "gee, can you just stay out of our private area????"

Husband of course doesn't want to say anything because he's certain she just wants to "start something," as usual.

So what is it, dildos? Sexy lingerie? :D

2013-12-23 3:01 PM
in reply to: travljini

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: "Visitor" Etiquette

Originally posted by travljini So of course *my* friends are biased so why not ask here Been together 13 years......the MIL has always been, well, "odd" is polite. I'll try not to digress, but she rarely visits our home and when she does it's usually when I'm not around. Still waiting for the divorce she is. I go out of my way to make all the right foods (gluten free, nut free, salt free, every diet restriction you can think of, blah blah blah) and am gracious, never saying A WORD oh these 13 years of criticism and belittlement. Anyway, it's THE oddest behavior ever and I *should* just let it go but I find it almost intrusively offensive. In our prior home, our master bath was actually INSIDE our master bedroom. During family gatherings she would ALWAYS insist on traipsing through our bedroom to use THAT bathroom. Thanksgiving arrives and in our new house I hear her amble UP the stairs and into our private upstairs bathroom -- which of course wasn't very clean, instead of our guest bathroom? WTH? So as Christmas is looming I joke about putting "out of order" or leaving a couple of giant sized dildos around the upstairs bathroom, but not sure how to say, "gee, can you just stay out of our private area????" Husband of course doesn't want to say anything because he's certain she just wants to "start something," as usual. So what is it, dildos? Sexy lingerie? :D

My feeling is that you will always get what you are willing to put up with.  Sometimes I have gritted my teeth, but I also threw my father-in-law out of our house on Memorial Day one year because I just got tired of him running his mouth about how awful it was that our Soldiers were in iraq.  I just didn't want to hear it on that day....so he left.

2013-12-23 3:20 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by travljini So of course *my* friends are biased so why not ask here Been together 13 years......the MIL has always been, well, "odd" is polite. I'll try not to digress, but she rarely visits our home and when she does it's usually when I'm not around. Still waiting for the divorce she is. I go out of my way to make all the right foods (gluten free, nut free, salt free, every diet restriction you can think of, blah blah blah) and am gracious, never saying A WORD oh these 13 years of criticism and belittlement. Anyway, it's THE oddest behavior ever and I *should* just let it go but I find it almost intrusively offensive. In our prior home, our master bath was actually INSIDE our master bedroom. During family gatherings she would ALWAYS insist on traipsing through our bedroom to use THAT bathroom. Thanksgiving arrives and in our new house I hear her amble UP the stairs and into our private upstairs bathroom -- which of course wasn't very clean, instead of our guest bathroom? WTH? So as Christmas is looming I joke about putting "out of order" or leaving a couple of giant sized dildos around the upstairs bathroom, but not sure how to say, "gee, can you just stay out of our private area????" Husband of course doesn't want to say anything because he's certain she just wants to "start something," as usual. So what is it, dildos? Sexy lingerie? :D

That's weird. Has no one ever mentioned it to her? Something along the lines of, "Just to let you know, I wasn't able to clean our restroom before you came over, so you might be more comfortable using the guest bathroom that I cleaned." That's the direct way. 

If you want to be passive aggressive about it, just put a lock on the door, that can be locked with a key outside the bathroom. Just lock the door(s). When she goes up to use it, it will be locked. She'll think someone is using it and go to another bathroom!  Perfect!  

2013-12-23 3:34 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by KSH

That's weird. Has no one ever mentioned it to her? Something along the lines of, "Just to let you know, I wasn't able to clean our restroom before you came over, so you might be more comfortable using the guest bathroom that I cleaned." That's the direct way. 

If you want to be passive aggressive about it, just put a lock on the door, that can be locked with a key outside the bathroom. Just lock the door(s). When she goes up to use it, it will be locked. She'll think someone is using it and go to another bathroom!  Perfect!  

My first thought too - just lock the door!
2013-12-23 3:46 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Yep, lock it if you can.

But man, that sounds odd...  I wonder what the reason is?  Is the guest bathroom uncomfortable or unpleasant in some way?  I would say our is pretty utilitarian.  Not much for comforts, but you got everything you need in it -  so what's the problem?

2013-12-23 3:53 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Kido

Yep, lock it if you can.

But man, that sounds odd...  I wonder what the reason is?  Is the guest bathroom uncomfortable or unpleasant in some way?  I would say our is pretty utilitarian.  Not much for comforts, but you got everything you need in it -  so what's the problem?

is your guest bath out in the open - mine is RIGHT NEXT TO the dining room table, and i have an open dining/living room floor plan.  if you were doing something....smellier or noisier.....in there everyone in the house would know.  perhaps she wants some privacy?  

but, i also find it odd and luckily have a 3rd bathroom should that situation arise....just tell her (well - make your husband tell her - his fam, his problem) that your room is your only place that is off limits to guests and if she has problems with the guest bath let you (him) know and you can work out a compromise.

2013-12-23 4:10 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Elite
Boise
I'm not sure it's the same situation, but I've got 3 sister-in-laws and they all head right for the bathroom in our bedroom. They all do it at each other's house too. Not every single time, but more than 50%.
2013-12-23 4:15 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Not trying to put thoughts/ideas in your head....but....are your pill bottles always in the same place?

If that's not a concern.....just hide the toilet paper and see if she goes back in there after the first time.

2013-12-23 4:16 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Sensei
Sin City

That's just weird to me.

Leave a deuce as an arrival gift.  If you get complains about not flushing YOUR toilet, then you can ask why are they going in YOUR bathroom in the first place.

2013-12-23 6:55 PM

User image

Elite
I'd say no to the dill DOH's! and lingerie.
Set up some nice things in the other bathroom for her. Towels, moisturizer, girlie stuff.
Let her know that she just can't use your private quarters. Be very polite and remind her that if there's anything she needs in the bathroom you need her to use, you will get it for her.

• ..and yes, I understand you know this already, but as an educational piece for the young ones out there who can still learn...NEVER let this type of behavior begin. Once it's begun, it's tough to stop it. We all want to be accommodating, but letting folks traipse through your bedroom and/or private bathroom is a big no-no.

• Have you ever told her not to do this? I'm personally not crazy about "unspoken rules." If someone doesn't get it (no matter who they are and how much we love them) they have to hear it very clearly.
    Good luck!!!

(wait, just re-read your post...what's the 13 YEARS of criticism and belittlement all about? I'd take about 13 SECONDS of that before she was out my front door. Is there a reason she keeps getting an invite to the house? Doesn't your hubby realize she's being a byo$h? I don't care if she's my mother, my wife is treated right, period. He should make that crystal clear, and if he can't, I'd boot her out of my house...but that's just me.)
    2013-12-23 11:14 PM

User image

Master
    Beijing

That's just weird to me.

Leave a deuce as an arrival gift.  If you get complains about not flushing YOUR toilet, then you can ask why are they going in YOUR bathroom in the first place.

I was going to say that this kind of behavior would be reciprocated.... with an "upper decker*" the next time I visited their house. *For those of you who are not versed in the parlance... an upper decker is a deuce in the tank, not in the bowl.

2013-12-24 1:10 AM
    in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Regular
    Madrid
    Maybe in a Freudian sort of way she just wants to leave her scent. Kind of mark her territory. You know, kind of like the dog.
    2013-12-24 7:27 AM

User image

Champion
    Checkin' out the podium girls
    Originally posted by moondawg14

That's just weird to me.

I was going to say that this kind of behavior would be reciprocated.... with an "upper decker*" the next time I visited their house. *For those of you who are not versed in the parlance... an upper decker is a deuce in the tank, not in the bowl.

The very concept of the "upper decker" fills me with pre-pubescent type joy.
    2013-12-24 9:08 AM

User image

Master
    Sunny Southern Cal

Are these also intended for guests or just embarrassment factor?  This could take an unexpected turn.

2013-12-24 9:17 AM

User image

Pro

That's just weird to me.

I don't get that kind of stuff.  What's wrong with just telling someone, under no uncertain terms, exactly how you feel and what you won't tolerate in your own home?

2013-12-24 9:31 AM
    in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Pro
    Tejas
    Boundaries, set them, yourself. Sounds like this lady treats you like dirt and has little respect for you or your privacy. Let her know from you, one on one, where she can and can't go in YOUR house. If she's offended, she can always leave and pay for a hotel when visiting. I had similar problems with my sister in law. I -footed around and tolerated her rude and intrusive behavior for several years. I finally invited her to get the f### out of MY house and don't ever come back. So far, it has worked. I've found that you simply can't be nice to mean/rude people, they will walk all over you.

2013-12-24 11:58 AM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
    Sin City

Originally posted by Left Brain

That's just weird to me.

I don't get that kind of stuff.  What's wrong with just telling someone, under no uncertain terms, exactly how you feel and what you won't tolerate in your own home?

I think it's funny you thought those were serious suggestions.

But I agree with you 100%.  Having a mature conversation about the rules of your house is a FAR superior way to handle this instead of taking a crap in the upper tank of your own master bathroom toilet.  I surely don't want anyone to misunderstand the joke and actually go home and do that as a form of problem solving.

2013-12-24 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
    NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

That's just weird to me.

I was going to say, "Stock the pond with brown trout".  That oughta do it.

2013-12-24 12:17 PM
    in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Champion
    NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Oh wait, you want a serious answer.

How about, "Mrs. Johnson, I'd really appreciate it if you'd use our guest room instead of the master bath which is through our private bedroom."

2013-12-24 12:19 PM

User image

Pro

That's just weird to me.

But I agree with you 100%.  Having a mature conversation about the rules of your house is a FAR superior way to handle this instead of taking a crap in the upper tank of your own master bathroom toilet.  I surely don't want anyone to misunderstand the joke and actually go home and do that as a form of problem solving.

No, moondawg was suggesting an "upper decker" (admittedly I'd never heard of that) in THEIR house.  And yeah, hopefully that wasn't a serious suggestion.  I'm going to stick with my reply......just tell the woman what's off limits to her. 

Unrelated, but a funny story.  When I was in the Marine Corps a bunch of us ended up at a dinner our old Drill Instructor put on at his home with his family.  This guy was a Samoan, about 6'5", a Staff Sergeant and veteran of some crazy combat missions in Vietnam.  To call him a badass would be the understatement of the century.....he was just a huge and powerful man.  One of the guys, right after dinner, "broke wind" in the dining room.......and the Sgt. went friggin' crazy.  A couple of guys who laughed, along with the offender, got their arses kicked, and the rest of us ran for our lives.  LOL  Apparently you do NOT fart in the dining area of a Samoan household.  Lesson learned.

2013-12-24 12:29 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
    Sunny Southern Cal

That's just weird to me.

No, moondawg was suggesting an "upper decker" (admittedly I'd never heard of that) in THEIR house.  And yeah, hopefully that wasn't a serious suggestion.  I'm going to stick with my reply......just tell the woman what's off limits to her. 

Unrelated, but a funny story.  When I was in the Marine Corps a bunch of us ended up at a dinner our old Drill Instructor put on at his home with his family.  This guy was a Samoan, about 6'5", a Staff Sergeant and veteran of some crazy combat missions in Vietnam.  To call him a badass would be the understatement of the century.....he was just a huge and powerful man.  One of the guys, right after dinner, "broke wind" in the dining room.......and the Sgt. went friggin' crazy.  A couple of guys who laughed, along with the offender, got their arses kicked, and the rest of us ran for our lives.  LOL  Apparently you do NOT fart in the dining area of a Samoan household.  Lesson learned.

Yeah, guy should have excused himself to the master bedroom for that.

2013-12-24 1:02 PM
    in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Master
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Originally posted by pga_mike

That's just weird to me.

I was going to say, "Stock the pond with brown trout".  That oughta do it.

"Stock the pond with brown trout"

That's the funniest euphemism I've heard ever.
    2013-12-24 1:05 PM
    in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Master
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Originally posted by mdg2003

Boundaries, set them, yourself. Sounds like this lady treats you like dirt and has little respect for you or your privacy. Let her know from you, one on one, where she can and can't go in YOUR house. If she's offended, she can always leave and pay for a hotel when visiting. I had similar problems with my sister in law. I -footed around and tolerated her rude and intrusive behavior for several years. I finally invited her to get the f### out of MY house and don't ever come back. So far, it has worked. I've found that you simply can't be nice to mean/rude people, they will walk all over you.

Yeah, I know. Silly as I should know this as I volunteer work with survivors of domestic violence and teach boundary issues all the time.

Problem is this lady has a whole slew of mental health issues that make establishing boundaries tricky. Hence I sigh and take the passive approach I have succeeded in many other areas of just setting my foot down but, oy, the weird controlling shite that she pulls.....
    2013-12-24 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
    Dallas, TX

Originally posted by travljini
    Originally posted by mdg2003 Boundaries, set them, yourself. Sounds like this lady treats you like dirt and has little respect for you or your privacy. Let her know from you, one on one, where she can and can't go in YOUR house. If she's offended, she can always leave and pay for a hotel when visiting. I had similar problems with my sister in law. I -footed around and tolerated her rude and intrusive behavior for several years. I finally invited her to get the f### out of MY house and don't ever come back. So far, it has worked. I've found that you simply can't be nice to mean/rude people, they will walk all over you.
    Yeah, I know. Silly as I should know this as I volunteer work with survivors of domestic violence and teach boundary issues all the time. Problem is this lady has a whole slew of mental health issues that make establishing boundaries tricky. Hence I sigh and take the passive approach I have succeeded in many other areas of just setting my foot down but, oy, the weird controlling shite that she pulls.....

Go change the doorknob(s) and lock the door with a key.  

2013-12-24 2:13 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by travljini
    Originally posted by mdg2003 Boundaries, set them, yourself. Sounds like this lady treats you like dirt and has little respect for you or your privacy. Let her know from you, one on one, where she can and can't go in YOUR house. If she's offended, she can always leave and pay for a hotel when visiting. I had similar problems with my sister in law. I -footed around and tolerated her rude and intrusive behavior for several years. I finally invited her to get the f### out of MY house and don't ever come back. So far, it has worked. I've found that you simply can't be nice to mean/rude people, they will walk all over you.
    Yeah, I know. Silly as I should know this as I volunteer work with survivors of domestic violence and teach boundary issues all the time. Problem is this lady has a whole slew of mental health issues that make establishing boundaries tricky. Hence I sigh and take the passive approach I have succeeded in many other areas of just setting my foot down but, oy, the weird controlling shite that she pulls.....

I'm not trying to downplay what you are dealing with, but seriously, how does a crazy person control anything?  The answer is....you let them....and yeah, you know that.  Good luck.  Like I said, I realize that all of these types of situations have their own dynamics.

New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "Visitor" Etiquette Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Coming to Phoenix, anyone want a visitor?

Started by faded_memories
    Views: 790 Posts: 7

2011-05-18 9:06 PM thebigb

Speaking of Gym Etiquette Pages: 1 2

Started by rbschlesinger
    Views: 2050 Posts: 41

2007-01-13 7:31 PM firstnet911

Wedding etiquette question

Started by hlolaj
    Views: 730 Posts: 11

2006-04-02 6:13 PM Downunderman

Elevator Etiquette - rant Pages: 1 2

Started by hk94
    Views: 1361 Posts: 26

2006-02-12 12:51 AM tyrant

Real Estate Etiquette?

Started by BGTwinDad
    Views: 901 Posts: 13

2005-10-11 9:38 AM p4406
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : November 9, 2006
    author : McFuzz
    comments : 1
    How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.