Willowsford, Virginia
United States
Rev3
Total Time = 47m 45s
Overall Rank = 1/20
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Drove with K out to Willowsford. Pretty amazing place. Saw the Raab clan and hung out trying to stay warm. They had free cofee and donuts made fresh on site. Ate a bag of them still warm. Amazing.
Event warmup:

Ran for 2-3min to loosen up and stay warm.
Run
  • 47m 55s
  • 11.5 kms
  • 04m 10s  min/km
Comments:

Started near the front with some fast runners. The 5k and 10k started together so there was no way to know who was what. After 1/4 mile I settled into my usual gap between the very front of the race and the rest of the field. There were 3 guys out in front this time and I kept them close, but definitely too fast to hang on to them.

when we hit the 5k/10k split ~mile 1 I saw the sign to go left and took the turn. The volunteers told me the course was straight, so I hesitated, but then I clarified that I was the 10k and they said that yes, I was supposed to turn. The thing was that the front 3 all went straight. That put me in the lead!

It is nerve racking to be leading a race. I'm not used to that and it's a decent amount of pressure. I had ~ 50 yard gap on a few guys and a woman so I just tried to keep the pace high without redlining so I didn't blow up. The course was pretty challenging with winding paths, jumping a few streams, climbs through fields, etc. I did my best to open the gap enough to get around each turn in time to stay out of sight. I didn't want them to have a rabbit. Once that was done I just tried to survive.
It wasn't until I started catching 5k runners and popped back on the road that I thought I was pretty safe. I ran it in and collapsed into the grass for a while!

What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Congratulated the other runners and then went out to cheer. Had a beer and changed so we could go meet my dad and m-a for lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Recent calf issues, but felt great during race

Event comments:

This is a really great race. If it wasn't for the cost, it would definitely get a 5. It was basically a whole festival. Coffee, donuts, food, beer, results on computers at the finish line, etc.

Last updated: 2013-11-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:47:55 | 11.5 kms | 04m 10s  min/km
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 1/20
Performance: Good
Course: Started and finished on a road for ~.5mi. The rest was rolling hills on trails and through fields.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-12-24 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Rev3 Fall Foliage Trail Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Fall Foliage Trail Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fall Backyard Burn Trail Running Series

Started by mgildea
Views: 878 Posts: 1

2008-10-25 12:18 PM mgildea

Fall Fitness - 5K Trail Run

Started by LostTrailRunner
Views: 745 Posts: 1

2008-10-06 5:12 PM LostTrailRunner

Angel Island Trail Run - Fall - 25K

Started by poweredbyfear
Views: 807 Posts: 1

2007-10-22 11:51 PM poweredbyfear

Waterford Fall Foliage Classic

Started by maureen
Views: 862 Posts: 4

2007-09-28 9:16 AM Maine Rob

Waterford Fall Foliage Road Race

Started by maureen
Views: 890 Posts: 7

2006-09-29 12:34 PM isis54
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.