BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2014-05-20 12:14 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by ChrisM

Thanks Jason, the complicating factor somewhat is that I didn't know any of these folks, and they didn't know me.  Some knew each other, etc...  So I was a little more hesitant about the whole situation, as in our normal groups we tend to be able to read our friends better and can predict what they are going to do.

I always knew it, but that ride really cemented in my mind that the group I currently ride with has no group riding skills whatsoever.  It's like 3-6 people all just doing their own ride.  And they never get much better. 

Yep...there is a huge difference between fairly strong riders that are in "a group" and fairly strong riders that are actually "group riding."  It's a very interesting dynamic that occurs when a group works well together and it's one of the reasons I love riding.  It's really no different that something like basketball where it's a lot more fun to play with 4 other guys who are all on the same page than 4 other guys who think they are Kobe Bryant.

2014-05-20 1:16 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by ChrisM

Thanks Jason, the complicating factor somewhat is that I didn't know any of these folks, and they didn't know me.  Some knew each other, etc...  So I was a little more hesitant about the whole situation, as in our normal groups we tend to be able to read our friends better and can predict what they are going to do.

I always knew it, but that ride really cemented in my mind that the group I currently ride with has no group riding skills whatsoever.  It's like 3-6 people all just doing their own ride.  And they never get much better. 

Yep...there is a huge difference between fairly strong riders that are in "a group" and fairly strong riders that are actually "group riding."  It's a very interesting dynamic that occurs when a group works well together and it's one of the reasons I love riding.  It's really no different that something like basketball where it's a lot more fun to play with 4 other guys who are all on the same page than 4 other guys who think they are Kobe Bryant.

LOL, exactly, everyone wants to be a hero

2014-05-21 8:17 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Ironman Texas was this weekend and I had a number of friends racing, so I headed up there to watch.  While people were out on the bike, I snuck in a quick 50 mile ride -- I'm happy to say that my cycling legs are finally coming back to me!

Watching IMTX was a ton of fun.  We hung around and went to the finish line at 11:30 to watch the last finishers come in....absolutely amazing to feel the energy and see the expressions/emotions on the faces of those finishers.  That said, I still do NOT have the IM bug

I am with you although we may be the outliers in this group .

I love the HIM distance but have no urge to sit on my bike for 5-6 hours most weekends during IM prep.  The 2.5-3.5 hour rides seem to keep it fun for me although I did just put in 12 hours on the bike in the past 6 days.

2014-05-21 8:18 AM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Racing an Olympic this weekend - weather is looking perfect right now.

Anxious to see what all the work this winter has resulted in.  Anybody else racing?

2014-05-21 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Ryan, you are lucky. I have the Ironman bug right now and it sucks. I'm not even doing triathlons. My mind goes thru all these weird gyrations on a daily basis on the key metrics I'd like to be at and this crazy long-term plan that would get my bike and run fitness extremely high over the next year before introducing the swim.
2014-05-21 9:30 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by JAYCT Ryan, you are lucky. I have the Ironman bug right now and it sucks. I'm not even doing triathlons. My mind goes thru all these weird gyrations on a daily basis on the key metrics I'd like to be at and this crazy long-term plan that would get my bike and run fitness extremely high over the next year before introducing the swim.

That is impressive - thinking WAAAAY ahead is probably a good idea!

That said, maybe a third outlier makes not having the bug less of an "outlying" position.  I don't really have the IM bug (yet) either, and for a similar reason to Ryan - the thought of 5-6 hours on my bike makes me a little panicky at the moment.  Not from a physical standpoint - all mental.  It feels like there's just so much to get done with the kids/work/etc. that I start thinking about it after about 90' and start feeling the need to get back.  After 3 hours, I'm half crazed.

Nothing ruins a good ride more than feeling like you have to get back.  I realize that if I prioritized it, I could fit it all in (that's a common comment from folks that actually jump in and DO), but I'm talking about the "want/feel" aspect.  There's a difference between being able to do it and wanting to do it enough to start, yeh?

I suppose with the job search in full swing, it's tougher than usual for me to take the time.  I was able to find more time when I was working full time than now, when I'm consulting and looking (which is weird to me!).

Someday…  

Matt

2014-05-21 9:35 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JAYCT Ryan, you are lucky. I have the Ironman bug right now and it sucks. I'm not even doing triathlons. My mind goes thru all these weird gyrations on a daily basis on the key metrics I'd like to be at and this crazy long-term plan that would get my bike and run fitness extremely high over the next year before introducing the swim.

Like developing your duathlon abilities? Getting into some of those could help motivate your running some more, give you the mindset of developing two things at once. And you really have to run in order to do well at those.

2014-05-21 9:47 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

That said, maybe a third outlier makes not having the bug less of an "outlying" position.  I don't really have the IM bug (yet) either, and for a similar reason to Ryan - the thought of 5-6 hours on my bike makes me a little panicky at the moment.  Not from a physical standpoint - all mental.  It feels like there's just so much to get done with the kids/work/etc. that I start thinking about it after about 90' and start feeling the need to get back.  After 3 hours, I'm half crazed.

Nothing ruins a good ride more than feeling like you have to get back.  I realize that if I prioritized it, I could fit it all in (that's a common comment from folks that actually jump in and DO), but I'm talking about the "want/feel" aspect.  There's a difference between being able to do it and wanting to do it enough to start, yeh?

I suppose with the job search in full swing, it's tougher than usual for me to take the time.  I was able to find more time when I was working full time than now, when I'm consulting and looking (which is weird to me!).

Someday…  

Matt

Do you get into bike events much? Not races, but big rides. These have helped me get through them. I've also done some of the routes on my own, like when I go up to Wisconsin for the rides. It's usually been less difficult to get through something someone else made as it somehow seems more official. I have to do it otherwise I didn't complete the workout. Whereas when I create the route it can be easier to call it in earlier and cut some parts out.

It also helps when the terrain is more interesting. More locally it's a lot of farmland area, so it can drag at times. Up at the events are a lot of solid, challenging hills to keep engaged with. I can have an idiot grin on my face for more than 4 hours straight.

I don't do IM because I'm not as big on the actual races and having to go so easy so much of the time. You can do something with the training to make it more interesting. Not every ride will go like this, you'll still have to get through some dull ones, but it can help a lot when you have at least some fun ones to look forward too.

ETA: The "every weekend" part seems to come up often, but I would suggest taking a good look at a plan. 2.5-3.5 seems to come up as a favored bigger ride. Take a good look at how often various plans may have for going over that. It may not actually be that often where it's necessary to go much farther. I'm not actually trying to push anyone towards it, but rather to offer another perspective to help in the decision making. Seeing about overcoming some obstacles.

Edited by brigby1 2014-05-21 9:57 AM
2014-05-21 11:40 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Someday…  

Matt

I don't want to be on the bike for long hours (3 - 3.5 hours is long enough to feel like I got a solid ride in, but usually not so long that I'm wondering when the hell it's going to end), but I can't fathom the idea of running a marathon! 

If I could make an ideal race distance to play on my strengths, I'd probably go for an IM distance swim, HIM distance bike, and a 5k run

2014-05-21 12:03 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I don't want to be on the bike for long hours (3 - 3.5 hours is long enough to feel like I got a solid ride in, but usually not so long that I'm wondering when the hell it's going to end), but I can't fathom the idea of running a marathon! 

If I could make an ideal race distance to play on my strengths, I'd probably go for an IM distance swim, HIM distance bike, and a 5k run

Hello!  Sign me up!  

I don't mind the 5-6 hour rides required for IM, it's the marathon that gets to me.  I'm glad I did the one IM but I don't see myself signing up for another any time soon.

2014-05-21 12:05 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by rymac

Anxious to see what all the work this winter has resulted in.  Anybody else racing?

Good luck!

Ottawa Half Marathon on Sunday for me.  I too am anxious to see how the work over the winter translates.

2014-05-21 12:41 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Hello!  Sign me up!  

I don't mind the 5-6 hour rides required for IM, it's the marathon that gets to me.  I'm glad I did the one IM but I don't see myself signing up for another any time soon.

I also find Leadman distances more appealing than IM. Wish they would get some more of those races out.

2014-05-21 12:44 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by brigby1

Like developing your duathlon abilities? Getting into some of those could help motivate your running some more, give you the mindset of developing two things at once. And you really have to run in order to do well at those.

I've thought about those but there aren't a lot of them around here. I have certain key metrics like 4.3w/kg on the bike while simultaneously being able to run a 1:27ish 13.1. I also want to drop down at least 10 pounds below what I've raced at previously and probably more like 15. I had gained some weight and life kind of got in the way of my mojo for awhile. I was crit racing in the spring at close to 200 pounds (fat). I did Placid a couple years ago at over 185. I'm only 5' 8.5". No bueno. I've dropped 10 over the last month and am again floating in the 187-188 range pact couple weeks. Not even dieting just eating less garbage. When I ran before it just hurt. I've gone on a handful of runs and was pleasantly surprised how much better I felt the past couple weeks. I did run a marathon around 180lbs and did ok for me. Really, weight is a big limiting factor and source of big time gains for me because I could be in the 165-170 range so there is a lot of low hanging fruit there which would juice up a lot of the metrics I'm talking about. Right now I'm just re-establishing a bit of a run base but I do have some bike race goals so am taking it easy running...also don't want to overdo it. My aerobic engine is fine but it is my ligaments etc that aren't ready for a ton of pounding again yet.

I feel more mature about it all than I was a few years ago. I also recently just picked up "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald. Rusty's post and others like it that I've come across has sort of got me over the mental hurdle I think. I always knew and complained I wasn't at a good race weight but now I feel more compelled and committed to do something about it.

Anyway, that was a lot of info. Biking is the priority this summer for me while I get a little base back. Fall I will probably shift to a little more balance.
2014-05-21 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Someday…  

Matt

You hit it on the head for me too.  I feel so guilty leaving the kiddos with mom for 3 hours and eventually I just don't enjoy it because of that.  I think once the kids become more self-sufficient that will get better - but who knows.

Usually on the weekend for the longer ride, I am doing the first 1/2 on the trainer before the sun comes up and then head outside for the last 1/2.  Not the most fun but the result is what I am after.

2014-05-21 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Good luck!

Ottawa Half Marathon on Sunday for me.  I too am anxious to see how the work over the winter translates.

Sweet.  Good luck.

2014-05-21 3:01 PM

User image

Good luck!

You should have entered a snow shoveling contest instead.  

Good luck.

Edited by Jason N 2014-05-21 3:01 PM

2014-05-21 3:52 PM

Master
Northern IL

Someday…  

Matt

You hit it on the head for me too.  I feel so guilty leaving the kiddos with mom for 3 hours and eventually I just don't enjoy it because of that.  I think once the kids become more self-sufficient that will get better - but who knows.

Usually on the weekend for the longer ride, I am doing the first 1/2 on the trainer before the sun comes up and then head outside for the last 1/2.  Not the most fun but the result is what I am after.

Yeah, not much first hand experience with those issues. I just know that my little sister would carry her three kids along with a bike seat and trailer setup at times. 

2014-05-21 5:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Good luck!

Well, if your "intermediate" test HM was any indication, you're going to ROCK this one.

Good luck!

RR or it didn't happen.  

Matt

2014-05-22 7:37 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I'm a bit behind:

Rusty & Fred - great results, congrats to both of you.

Arend & Ryan - good luck this weekend.  Based on what you've both been doing I have no doubt you'll both have excellent races.

Question - anyone had their rear derailler hanger come off on them before.  I took my wheel out of my bike this past Sunday and the derailler and hanger came straight off.  One bolt was gone and the other looked like it was sheared off.  Not sure how or why it happened.  Bike shop has to special order the bolts to fit the hanger but I have some temporary ones designed for Ginat in there at the moment.  Just surprised this happened.

Edited by GoFaster 2014-05-22 7:38 AM
2014-05-22 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Good luck!

No racing here - been trying hard to resist the usual long list of spring 5k/10k races.  I figure if I **might** be able to race the HIM June 8th if I avoid intensity on the run until then (and I don't expect to be sprinting during that race, either!).  So, I'll pace the kids again the next few weekends - which is awesome anyway.  

So, are you on for the Grand Rapids race?  IIRC you were thinking about it (sorry if my wires are crossed here).  I've now moved on to the fence from the NFW camp.  I think I can at least get through it, even if my last 2 months have been less than ideal.  We'll see how this week and next go…  

Would help to have made hotel/flight reservations and such, but I hope it won't be that crowded a weekend (and I'll likely drive, as the decision might be last minute).

What are your goals for this weekend's race?

Matt

2014-05-22 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Good luck!

No racing here - been trying hard to resist the usual long list of spring 5k/10k races.  I figure if I **might** be able to race the HIM June 8th if I avoid intensity on the run until then (and I don't expect to be sprinting during that race, either!).  So, I'll pace the kids again the next few weekends - which is awesome anyway.  

So, are you on for the Grand Rapids race?  IIRC you were thinking about it (sorry if my wires are crossed here).  I've now moved on to the fence from the NFW camp.  I think I can at least get through it, even if my last 2 months have been less than ideal.  We'll see how this week and next go…  

Would help to have made hotel/flight reservations and such, but I hope it won't be that crowded a weekend (and I'll likely drive, as the decision might be last minute).

What are your goals for this weekend's race?

Matt

I am confirmed for Grand Rapids.  I don't think you will have any trouble getting a hotel room.  There are a lot of hotels in that area.

My goals for this weekend are to burn the doors off!!

My legs are absolutely destroyed right now from the last 10 days but I am dialing down into Sunday so hopefully they are ready to go by then.

2014-05-22 11:39 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I threw my back out this morning while picking up one of the dogs.  Yay me!

2014-05-22 12:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-05-22 12:52 PM

Master
Northern IL

I threw my back out this morning while picking up one of the dogs.  Yay me!

Uh-oh!

2014-05-22 1:16 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Fred D

I posted this on FB as well, but looking at your thoughts. I need to talk to Shane as well.

Power question for those into such things...
I am using a PT G3 on a DT Swiss hub. Tried using a disc cover this weekend but not a fan (although liked it on my 404) and also don't like the Channing of race tires and tubes etc every time I race.
Looking at 2 options:
1. Buy a better race wheel like an 808 with PT built in.
2. Race without power.
Open to suggestions or other options?

Fred - what issues did you run into with the DT Swiss wheel that you didn't encounter with the 404? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 20786 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 36893 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19556 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23857 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15721 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.