Tiburon Volunteer Fire Department
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 34s
Overall Rank = 254/334
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had trouble falling asleep. Was worried about over sleeping as usual. This was the first event I have ever done by myself, so there was no potential for a back-up "where are you phone call?" Ate bagel & cream cheese, 1/2 banana, and granola bar. Wanted coffee, but stuck with decaf tea so my nerves would n't act up.
Event warmup:

Got to the race extra early. Thought start was 7 AM, but it was 7:30. Gave me time to drive bike route and warm up with light jog and most importantly stretch. I always mean to warm up and stretch, but the race times are always so early that I never have time. Felt good to get stretch in.
Swim
  • 14m 29s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

Why!!!! I was in second wave and still got slowed up by numbskulls doing backstroke. How in the world can you sight doing the backstroke? It is bad enough getting stuck behind somebody who decides to breast stroke, but when someone cuts in front of you because they are swimming diagonally and can't see where they are going it drives me crazy. The swim is my best leg, I really don't like coming to dead stop to let some idiot veer across my path.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

More PAM! Suit was stuck on calves as usual.
What would you do differently?:

Don't leave wet suit crumpled on grass, hang up on bike rack. (I was half way home when I realized I had never packed up my wet suit. Luckily it was turned in and I was able to go get it the next day)
Bike
  • 46m 11s
  • 9 miles
  • 11.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I paced myself too slowly. Also could not get into big gear (had trouble in last tri too, so bike went to shop right after this tri). I think I could have pushed a lot harder. Was passed a lot, unnecessarily.

Need to practice more sprints up hills and continue to work on gaining power.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Transistion was pretty fast. Better than usual.
Run
  • 22m 33s
  • 2 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is where I suck the most. I did not EVER run until last year and I have only improved in my endurance. I can always slog (slow jog) the entire course, but I need to work on speed. I am always happy to just participate in tri's, but my competitive spirit is always deflated on the run when I get passed by everyone.

I need to concentrate on running before my next tri. Drills, distance, the whole works.
Post race
Warm down:

I warmed up, but did not warm down/stretch until later that evening at home. There is something about stretching in public that I absolutely hate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I love swimming, but need to cut back and concentrate on bike and especially run.

Event comments:

I really liked this race because it was so caual. I would have liked to see a water stop in between the bike/run. The swim waves could have been better organized as far as age/ability. Overall I had fun and would do it again in the future.

Last updated: 2006-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:29 | 800 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 119/334
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Swim was unusual because you have to swim out and around a break wall, then out around a buoy and exit through a boat ramp. I had to decide whether to wear shoes to swim and leave them near exit shoot or go without shoes. You have to run about 2 blocks on pavement after the swim to get back to transisition area. Opted not to wear shoe, but next time I will probably bring slip on shoes. Feet were a little sore when I got home. The event was put on by the volunteer fire department and it was very casual. As I jogged to transition area I struggled to unzip wet suit as I ran. Had trouble getting a hold of zipper leash and fireman offered to help me unzip. Very generous, but I did it myself. As a full figured woman I should have waited and kept the top of my wet suit up as I jogged, because wet sports bra's don't offer much support. Felt a little exposed and jiggly as I ran. Noticed a few interested looks from spectators as I jiggled past them.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:46:11 | 09 miles | 11.69 mile/hr
Overall: 272/334
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Course was altered due to landslide and road closure. I guess it normally is a loop, this year it was out to closure and back. There were hills but they were small and relativley easy. the pavement was a bit rough in spots. Also, the road was open to traffic, but only a couple cars came through. If you like a curvy course (which I do) then this would be a good race for you.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:33 | 02 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 316/334
Performance: Below average
Course: Nice flat course. Shady most of the way.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-01 6:50 PM

User image

Napa
Subject: Tiburon Sprint Triathlon

2006-08-01 7:09 PM
in reply to: #499927

User image

Nashville
Subject: RE: Tiburon Sprint Triathlon
Hey, sounds like you did great and you had nice weather. It rained on me for my first sprint saturday.....ick. good Job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tiburon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed