Other Resources The Political Joe » Would you want to be the President? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Would you want to be the President?
OptionResults
Yes. Elect me.
No. That job sucks.

2013-12-26 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Would you want to be the President?

Seriously, would you want to be the President?  The last 4 have me thinking no. They have all aged at double the normal rate while in office, and have been pummeled by the opposing party.

2013-12-26 4:45 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Would you want to be the President?
I feel I have aged double the normal rate the last few years. Seriously, I think the job would suck for so many reasons. However, this would be an opportunity to be in the history books....good or bad. Sure, I would.
2013-12-26 6:22 PM
in reply to: rayd

User image

Elite
Originally posted by rayd

I feel I have aged double the normal rate the last few years. Seriously, I think the job would suck for so many reasons. However, this would be an opportunity to be in the history books....good or bad. Sure, I would.

Ray, you've got my vote! First Presidential Address? Lights dim...strobe lights appear...first few chords of Welcome to the Jungle deafen the reporters, Axl starts howling...yeah, I like this new regime!!!

2013-12-26 9:02 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Elite

It's a silly question. (Don't take that personal) The kind of people that like that kind of stuff are the kind of people that want to do it. You want fame money and power for the rest of your life.... ya, being one of the most powerful people on the planet must really suck. Do you honestly believe those that want the power and spotlight give a rats butt what the commoners or opposition think?

And as far as aging at double the rate... no, they haven't. What ever that means. They have not aged at double the rate of those willing to put their goals and ambitions in front of everything else no matter what. Par for the course.

2013-12-26 9:13 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Elite
Boise
President, no. Dictator, yes.
2013-12-26 10:14 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by powerman

It's a silly question. (Don't take that personal) The kind of people that like that kind of stuff are the kind of people that want to do it. You want fame money and power for the rest of your life.... ya, being one of the most powerful people on the planet must really suck. Do you honestly believe those that want the power and spotlight give a rats butt what the commoners or opposition think?

And as far as aging at double the rate... no, they haven't. What ever that means. They have not aged at double the rate of those willing to put their goals and ambitions in front of everything else no matter what. Par for the course.

I respectfully disagree. I look back a ways and there are only a few presidents I'd place in the category of desiring "fame, money, and power for the rest of their lives."

Many of them I wouldn't. For instance, starting off with Eisenhower, I don't see Ike as the type who wanted all that.

I'd fast-forward past JFK who's private life illustrated a massive desire to take full advantage of his position in life.
LBJ, extremely power-hungry (and I'm not convinced he didn't have something to do with JFK's early departure).
Nixon was as power-hungry as they come.

Gerald Ford? Money, power, fame? Nah.

Jimmy Carter? Fame, money, power? I don't see it.

Reagan? Fame, money, power? I don't see it.

Bush Sr.? Nope.

Clinton...see JFK.

W. ...I'm not convinced.

Obama. no, I don't see it.

It's politics. Folks have different ideas as to what's best for the nation. Some do everything they can to get to the top (see Nixon), others rise out of circumstance (see Ford)...others hear a call from their party.

btw, it's a terrible job to have. You have to have thick skin. How many jobs are guaranteeing you will be disliked by almost half of every voting citizen? I worked as a high school basketball ref for about 7 years. That's as close as ya come to the "like/dislike" split! I will say I enjoyed the work so maybe I shouldn't rule out a future run!

2013-12-26 11:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

I worked as a high school basketball ref for about 7 years. That's as close as ya come to the "like/dislike" split! 

Bro.....put down the egg nog. 

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-26 11:22 PM
2013-12-27 3:19 AM

User image

Elite

I respectfully disagree. I look back a ways and there are only a few presidents I'd place in the category of desiring "fame, money, and power for the rest of their lives." Many of them I wouldn't. For instance, starting off with Eisenhower, I don't see Ike as the type who wanted all that. I'd fast-forward past JFK who's private life illustrated a massive desire to take full advantage of his position in life. LBJ, extremely power-hungry (and I'm not convinced he didn't have something to do with JFK's early departure). Nixon was as power-hungry as they come. Gerald Ford? Money, power, fame? Nah. Jimmy Carter? Fame, money, power? I don't see it. Reagan? Fame, money, power? I don't see it. Bush Sr.? Nope. Clinton...see JFK. W. ...I'm not convinced. Obama. no, I don't see it. It's politics. Folks have different ideas as to what's best for the nation. Some do everything they can to get to the top (see Nixon), others rise out of circumstance (see Ford)...others hear a call from their party. btw, it's a terrible job to have. You have to have thick skin. How many jobs are guaranteeing you will be disliked by almost half of every voting citizen? I worked as a high school basketball ref for about 7 years. That's as close as ya come to the "like/dislike" split! I will say I enjoyed the work so maybe I shouldn't rule out a future run!

Sorry, not buying it. Colin Powell... served his country, understood duty, understood leadership, understood politics... would not touch the Presidency with a 100 foot pole.... why, because he didn't want it. Primary reason I would have voted for him.

Of all of them, sure, Carter was a humble man that wanted to serve his "community". Money, power, and fame didn't really fit him. He is about the only one that does not fit my mold... but the rest of them, especially today???

Bush Sr. had been hob nobbing with the powerful elite since before he got to office. Same with Jr. And Obama... seriously, he's a narcissist plain and simple. No, not because FOX news says so... because he is. I can't speak for early America.... but for modern times he has to be the most undeserving President in history.... and one of the worst to boot.

Nobody has a gun to anyone's head. Carter is probably more pure humanitarian. Everyone else wants it, or they would not do it.

Just to advance in my place of work, I can see what there is for me further up the ladder. I don't want the top. It's a choice.

Edited by powerman 2013-12-27 3:20 AM
2013-12-27 9:07 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I agree with Powerman. If you need to raise a billion dollars to run you got to want it. If you do all that campaigning you have to want it. If you are willing to have people go through your life with a fine tooth comb and run the risk of every skeleton and bad day in your life to come out you have to want it.

I am not saying you do not have some pure motives in there too. People are people and I doubt anyone would do something they know is completely wrong and harmful.

If you take a job with a lobbing firm for millions a year after you leave congress did you do it for the people or for the money? You have a hard time convincing me it was for the people.
2013-12-27 9:42 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by chirunner134

I agree with Powerman. If you need to raise a billion dollars to run you got to want it. If you do all that campaigning you have to want it. If you are willing to have people go through your life with a fine tooth comb and run the risk of every skeleton and bad day in your life to come out you have to want it.

I am not saying you do not have some pure motives in there too. People are people and I doubt anyone would do something they know is completely wrong and harmful.

If you take a job with a lobbing firm for millions a year after you leave congress did you do it for the people or for the money? You have a hard time convincing me it was for the people.

Preach it.
2013-12-27 11:06 AM

Master
, California

Re: ChineseDemocracy

now think about person / people standing behind each of those presidents, working on their campaigns and beyond.

Rahm Emanuel.  Cheney and Rumsfield.  Carville.  I can't remember back farther than that off the top of my head.  But that's where you'll find the very power hungry types and that's where you'll find a bunch of people each president owes money or favors to.

2013-12-27 11:13 AM

Master
, California

Bush Sr. had been hob nobbing with the powerful elite since before he got to office.

That may be true, but out of all the presidents in my lifetime, he's the one I'd give the benefit of the doubt.  He was the Director of Central Intelligence during the height of the Cold War, before he eventually became president.  I can't say for sure, but I believe he saw threats that at least partly motivated him to enter the political arena.

2013-12-27 11:34 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by spudone

Bush Sr. had been hob nobbing with the powerful elite since before he got to office.

That may be true, but out of all the presidents in my lifetime, he's the one I'd give the benefit of the doubt.  He was the Director of Central Intelligence during the height of the Cold War, before he eventually became president.  I can't say for sure, but I believe he saw threats that at least partly motivated him to enter the political arena.

you might be right that might been part of the motivation. There are other parts for sure. Just like I think GW Bush wanted it so he could go to war with Iraq for trying to kill his father.
2013-12-27 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by chirunner134 I agree with Powerman. If you need to raise a billion dollars to run you got to want it. If you do all that campaigning you have to want it. If you are willing to have people go through your life with a fine tooth comb and run the risk of every skeleton and bad day in your life to come out you have to want it...(sic)..... I am not saying you do not have some pure motives in there too. .

That's why they are the 1%ers.  Everyone who has reached the pinnacle of their profession; sports, entertainment, politics, academics etc. has sacrificed and (likely) sold a bit of their souls to get to where they are.  Politics is simply a profession; the 'best' (?)  rise to the top. 

Would I do it?  I'd TRY, but I wouldn't be successful in todays definition of "successful politician".  Regardless of who's in office, I'm glad for the folks who DO take on that burden of "World Leader".  After all, SOMEBODY has to object of Powerman's rage.

2013-12-27 12:59 PM

User image

Pro

you might be right that might been part of the motivation. There are other parts for sure. Just like I think GW Bush wanted it so he could go to war with Iraq for trying to kill his father.

Wait.....I didn't realize that I could want to become President just so I could bomb someone.  I change my mind, I'd do it!

2013-12-27 1:05 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Left Brain

Wait.....I didn't realize that I could want to become President just so I could bomb someone.  I change my mind, I'd do it!

yep. Maybe not the only reason but it could be a driving one for sure. At least that is one of the impression I got from Richard Clarke telling the president there is no link between Iraq and 9/11 and Bush kept saying no find one.

If there is something you want done no better seat than the presidency to get it done.

2013-12-27 10:14 PM

User image

Elite

I respectfully disagree. I look back a ways and there are only a few presidents I'd place in the category of desiring "fame, money, and power for the rest of their lives." Many of them I wouldn't. For instance, starting off with Eisenhower, I don't see Ike as the type who wanted all that. I'd fast-forward past JFK who's private life illustrated a massive desire to take full advantage of his position in life. LBJ, extremely power-hungry (and I'm not convinced he didn't have something to do with JFK's early departure). Nixon was as power-hungry as they come. Gerald Ford? Money, power, fame? Nah. Jimmy Carter? Fame, money, power? I don't see it. Reagan? Fame, money, power? I don't see it. Bush Sr.? Nope. Clinton...see JFK. W. ...I'm not convinced. Obama. no, I don't see it. It's politics. Folks have different ideas as to what's best for the nation. Some do everything they can to get to the top (see Nixon), others rise out of circumstance (see Ford)...others hear a call from their party. btw, it's a terrible job to have. You have to have thick skin. How many jobs are guaranteeing you will be disliked by almost half of every voting citizen? I worked as a high school basketball ref for about 7 years. That's as close as ya come to the "like/dislike" split! I will say I enjoyed the work so maybe I shouldn't rule out a future run!

Sorry, not buying it. Colin Powell... served his country, understood duty, understood leadership, understood politics... would not touch the Presidency with a 100 foot pole.... why, because he didn't want it. Primary reason I would have voted for him.

Of all of them, sure, Carter was a humble man that wanted to serve his "community". Money, power, and fame didn't really fit him. He is about the only one that does not fit my mold... but the rest of them, especially today???

Bush Sr. had been hob nobbing with the powerful elite since before he got to office. Same with Jr. And Obama... seriously, he's a narcissist plain and simple. No, not because FOX news says so... because he is. I can't speak for early America.... but for modern times he has to be the most undeserving President in history.... and one of the worst to boot.

Nobody has a gun to anyone's head. Carter is probably more pure humanitarian. Everyone else wants it, or they would not do it.

Just to advance in my place of work, I can see what there is for me further up the ladder. I don't want the top. It's a choice.

So Dwight Eisenhower was all about fame, money, and power? Well, maybe you know something I don't.
So you also believe President Obama is a "narcissist, plain and simple." Hmm. Interesting. I do chuckle when I hear that. When I think of folks who are narcissists, I typically don't think of folks like President Obama. I see rap stars, rock stars, celebrities, etc. Not too many constitutional law professors.
Considering Colin Powell has been on board with many of President Obama's foreign AND domestic efforts, I don't think it's surprising he avoided a foray into politics. Do you honestly believe he would have been painted any more positively by Fox "News?" I'm sure he thought about about a run and said, "why?" He's seen in a positive light by a majority of Americans...why take the reputation hit?

Honestly, Jesus Christ could drop out of the sky, run for office, and be skewered by the 24/7 "news" cycle. Politics is a nasty arena. The folks who get into it I truly believe do it for the right reasons. Most folks on the national stage could be making way more money (with 1000 times less stress and headaches) in the private arena. As I said, go down the line all the way back to Ike, and most of these guys seemed to me to get into the mix because they believed they could help serve their nation.

2013-12-27 10:52 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy  Honestly, Jesus Christ could drop out of the sky, run for office, and be skewered by the 24/7 "news" cycle. Politics is a nasty arena. The folks who get into it I truly believe do it for the right reasons. Most folks on the national stage could be making way more money (with 1000 times less stress and headaches) in the private arena. As I said, go down the line all the way back to Ike, and most of these guys seemed to me to get into the mix because they believed they could help serve their nation.

I am actually baffled right now that you can actually believe this. Look at any group of people all the way from church groups, PTA, up to the President. There are those that want to be in control, and those that do not. There are literally MILLIONS of ways to serve and contribute from here to the POTUS for those that want to. MILLIONS. Every single group I have EVER been involved in, the majority in control WANT to be in control. And those that don't "rarely" are.

And I always get a chuckle when I hear about how much these folks can be making in the private sector.... do you have any idea how much "power" is worth? Ask Clinton how much being President has made him. You actually believe he could be better off if he would have been a lawyer instead of a politician sitting in the most powerful seat on the planet? You do realize people pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars just for him to show up and open his mouth right? His calendar is booked. And where exactly does one get to be a leader of industry, or the top in his field, making "1000 times more".... with no headaches??? CD... seriously. Come on.

Ya, go down the line. Every single wrung on every single ladder requires more stress, responsibility, and headaches. And it gives you more money, more control, and more position and status. That does not mean every single person is self centered selfish control freaks... but it certainly does not make them Gahdi either. And I know TONS of people that make the conscious decision not to step into the spot light, and TONS that do.

And yes, some did honestly think they could help serve their nation. Now what kind of a mind set does it take, to think that out of 300 million people, and tens of thousands of bright and ambitious people in politics.... that YOU, are the right person for the job and can help out. That takes a special mind set right there. Some selflessness... sure, but nowhere close to all.

Edited by powerman 2013-12-27 10:55 PM
2013-12-28 7:51 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy  Honestly, Jesus Christ could drop out of the sky, run for office, and be skewered by the 24/7 "news" cycle. Politics is a nasty arena. The folks who get into it I truly believe do it for the right reasons. Most folks on the national stage could be making way more money (with 1000 times less stress and headaches) in the private arena. As I said, go down the line all the way back to Ike, and most of these guys seemed to me to get into the mix because they believed they could help serve their nation.

I am actually baffled right now that you can actually believe this. Look at any group of people all the way from church groups, PTA, up to the President. There are those that want to be in control, and those that do not. There are literally MILLIONS of ways to serve and contribute from here to the POTUS for those that want to. MILLIONS. Every single group I have EVER been involved in, the majority in control WANT to be in control. And those that don't "rarely" are.

And I always get a chuckle when I hear about how much these folks can be making in the private sector.... do you have any idea how much "power" is worth? Ask Clinton how much being President has made him. You actually believe he could be better off if he would have been a lawyer instead of a politician sitting in the most powerful seat on the planet? You do realize people pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars just for him to show up and open his mouth right? His calendar is booked. And where exactly does one get to be a leader of industry, or the top in his field, making "1000 times more".... with no headaches??? CD... seriously. Come on.

Ya, go down the line. Every single wrung on every single ladder requires more stress, responsibility, and headaches. And it gives you more money, more control, and more position and status. That does not mean every single person is self centered selfish control freaks... but it certainly does not make them Gahdi either. And I know TONS of people that make the conscious decision not to step into the spot light, and TONS that do.

And yes, some did honestly think they could help serve their nation. Now what kind of a mind set does it take, to think that out of 300 million people, and tens of thousands of bright and ambitious people in politics.... that YOU, are the right person for the job and can help out. That takes a special mind set right there. Some selflessness... sure, but nowhere close to all.

Oh trust me, I do believe JC could drop out of the sky and be skewered. "Now you come? How many of my relatives had to suffer and die while you lived it up sitting up there in cooshie heaven! How many people have you let starve to death? And now, you're here and you're going to discriminate against those that didn't bow down to you all these years? BOOO!!!"

btw, yes, I agree with your point (which makes sense) regarding folks that rise to the top. But, the difference between that guy or gal that heads the PTA, or a science project team, or a student government, is in their ability to command respect. Love them or hate them, or a combo of both, SOMEONE will rise to the top of each party, and they're not nominating people dragged in kicking and screaming.
As much of a humanitarian many of these former (and current) president/s were and are, they all believed they could make a difference by being POTUS.
  • ..and yes, of course a retired POTUS can command millions with every speech. That said, there's a difference between great communicators (Reagan, Clinton, Obama) and lesser-skilled communicators (Carter, GHWB, W)
  • Do you really see all of these guys as money-grubbing individuals? I really don't. We can agree to disagree.

btw, in the history of this nation no POTUS has to deal with as obstructionist a Congress as exists today. Not even close. It's the toughest job in the world, and it's only gotten tougher.

2013-12-28 7:55 AM
    in reply to: Guest

User image

Pro
    No. My approval rating is 88% now and it would just plummet if I became President.
    2013-12-28 10:27 AM

User image

Elite

btw, yes, I agree with your point (which makes sense) regarding folks that rise to the top. But, the difference between that guy or gal that heads the PTA, or a science project team, or a student government, is in their ability to command respect. Love them or hate them, or a combo of both, SOMEONE will rise to the top of each party, and they're not nominating people dragged in kicking and screaming. As much of a humanitarian many of these former (and current) president/s were and are, they all believed they could make a difference by being POTUS. ...and yes, of course a retired POTUS can command millions with every speech. That said, there's a difference between great communicators (Reagan, Clinton, Obama) and lesser-skilled communicators (Carter, GHWB, W) Do you really see all of these guys as money-grubbing individuals? I really don't. We can agree to disagree. btw, in the history of this nation no POTUS has to deal with as obstructionist a Congress as exists today. Not even close. It's the toughest job in the world, and it's only gotten tougher.

Well first, I don't want to sound that cynical. I do not think everyone at the top of their thing is evil and selfish or money hungry.... but let's go with cynical for a minute... sometimes people follow out of plain fear. Sometimes puppets are presented and they are willing to do it. And at some point... people stop being people, and they become their egos. Even the mere thought of being POTUS... holding the office that only 44 men before you have held... forever be remembered.... that's a pretty powerful drug. But enough cynicism...

We had this guy we hired from outside to be our Dept. Head. Only two wrungs from the top... I literally... and I am not joking here... I literally wanted to have his baby every time he stepped in the room. All he had to do was ask. I have never met another guy up close that had as much charisma as that guy. Then... the next wrung became vacant... and our CEO chose a lap dog instead, and he went to greener pastures. The thought was our CEO was too threatened by him to keep him around... wait... now I'm cynical again.

And no, I do not think all those guys are money grubbers.... Bill Gates could not buy what a living ex President has if he had twice his money. It's much more than just Benjamins.

And as far as the obstructionist Congress.... this is going to be painful because I really hate all of them.... but to continue with Devil's Advocate... when is obstructionism just plain holding your ground? Some on the more extreme left want more... those on the right, and yes extreme right, can't stand the few concessions that have been made. It isn't like Congress is just acting in complete autonomy.... they are a representative body of the electorate... YES, we are THAT divided. There are most certainly some serious discussions coming with where this country is going and how much our broke Government can give away.... or we will just have them when the economy actually does collapse.

You had a guy, who's only true asset was his ability to speak in public, and the electorate didn't have any record to judge him by. They put him out there before people had a chance to get to know him... which was the point. He never accomplished anything of merit in his life except go to school. He never lead anyone, or anything. He "organized". And yet for two years, we heard how he was gong to do it all so much better. A guy that never turned anything around ever, thought he could take the helm of this nation and turn it around from the iceburg that's coming.... without ever taking the helm of anything before. Now you tell me how exactly he thought he could actually do good for this country? If he truly wanted to do that... then he would have got to work in the Senate and actually did his job, and forged relationships, and learned how to work with people, even those that disagreed with him.... now if you think he is a humanitarian instead of a narcissist... then ya... uh... ya, that's all I got.

I won't shed a tear for Obama. He signed up for it. He begged for it for two straight years. He ya go Sport, knock your self out. Let's see what ya got! He can't lead, because nobody respects him. He's an empty suit.... which is another pit fall of leadership... respect is earned, not given.

.... maybe I should go spend a couple nights in a Holiday Inn Express.

Happy Holidays CD... you're a good guy.

Edited by powerman 2013-12-28 10:31 AM

2013-12-28 11:25 AM

User image

Elite
    I hear ya on the personal stories of leadership in your business...I think we've all seen that in every organization out there no matter how small.

Let's try to find some common ground, obviously we are not going to agree on our president who I believe to be most excellent, and you believe to be terrible.
    There isn't a human being alive, nor a fictional character, or deity for that matter that could take the office of POTUS and be supported by liberals and conservatives. Those on the "other side" are instantly demonized.

I guess what I was trying to get at with the narcissist claim (which in President Obama's case just isn't true in my opinion) is that when I think narcissist, I literally think of the guy or gal that can't stop looking at their self, or can't get enough of listening to their self. For example, '04 VP candidate John Edwards. Safe to say there were some narcissistic tendencies? How 'bout 75% of NFL wide receivers? I'd say so. Lady GaGa? Miley Cyrus? I guess those are my images of narcissists. Terrell Owens, Floyd Mayweather, etc.
    To say the president "can't get enough of himself," just doesn't make sense to me.
    btw, to say he can't lead, well, he certainly led two dominant presidential campaigns weathering storms that would have taken lesser-skilled politicians completely out of contention. He led the charge for health care reform, and like it or not, he got it through and protected it from the opposition fighting tooth and nail (literally to the point they'd have been happy to shut down the government and let the nation go down the tube just to prevent it from existing). He's been out front protecting our country, gunning down terrorist after terrorist with drones that are hated both by Libertarians and liberal ACLU supporters. He's found himself on the correct side of history supporting gay rights when many thought it would be "too soon" or "too risky."
    Not too shabby for an "empty suit."

powerman, I like your posts too. keep 'em coming...the more we talk, the more chance we'll actually find some common ground slightly closer together.
    2013-12-28 7:54 PM
    in reply to: Iowaman

User image

Champion
    NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by Iowaman No. My approval rating is 88% now and it would just plummet if I became President.

Like!

2013-12-28 9:16 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy I hear ya on the personal stories of leadership in your business...I think we've all seen that in every organization out there no matter how small. Let's try to find some common ground, obviously we are not going to agree on our president who I believe to be most excellent, and you believe to be terrible. There isn't a human being alive, nor a fictional character, or deity for that matter that could take the office of POTUS and be supported by liberals and conservatives. Those on the "other side" are instantly demonized. I guess what I was trying to get at with the narcissist claim (which in President Obama's case just isn't true in my opinion) is that when I think narcissist, I literally think of the guy or gal that can't stop looking at their self, or can't get enough of listening to their self. For example, '04 VP candidate John Edwards. Safe to say there were some narcissistic tendencies? How 'bout 75% of NFL wide receivers? I'd say so. Lady GaGa? Miley Cyrus? I guess those are my images of narcissists. Terrell Owens, Floyd Mayweather, etc. To say the president "can't get enough of himself," just doesn't make sense to me. btw, to say he can't lead, well, he certainly led two dominant presidential campaigns weathering storms that would have taken lesser-skilled politicians completely out of contention. He led the charge for health care reform, and like it or not, he got it through and protected it from the opposition fighting tooth and nail (literally to the point they'd have been happy to shut down the government and let the nation go down the tube just to prevent it from existing). He's been out front protecting our country, gunning down terrorist after terrorist with drones that are hated both by Libertarians and liberal ACLU supporters. He's found himself on the correct side of history supporting gay rights when many thought it would be "too soon" or "too risky." Not too shabby for an "empty suit." powerman, I like your posts too. keep 'em coming...the more we talk, the more chance we'll actually find some common ground slightly closer together.

OK, I accept your narcissist and raise you arrogant. "An inflated sense of one's own importance"... certainly applies. If you want to think of it as vanity, which isn't really the definition, but I get it. 

As far as his leadership skills.... so what you are saying is he is a savvy self marketer. I could not believe he defeated the Clinton political machine. When he made his first victory speech in a big win over Clinton for the nomination (forget which) I watched his speech to see what he had to say. I knew right then he would be the next POTUS. He's a great motivational speaker with prepared speeches. He's not that great of an orator when talking. 

But that is the problem with the Health care... it was evident early on he did not know how to lead.... because many at the time wanted to know why he was on the side lines for so long. He let Congress duke it out. He didn't actually do anything. And when he did step in, the concessions he gave were not even close to what he wanted. Sure he got "something" passed where Clinton couldn't... but we were in a more favorable time for HC reform, and it was not a good bill at all for what he wanted. So that is not a victory in my book.

Continuing the prior POTUS policies on war when you campaigned against every one of them is not a win. Supporting gays when it is most convenient to you and after you won the election is not leadership either. I have no idea where you get this "too soon" idea. He supported them when he had more to gain than loose. What is respectable about that?

Here's the deal with leadership... on the campaign trail you can talk all the crap and blame your opponent all you want. When you get the job, you roll up your sleeves and get to work. Some say Obama actually had a decent history of being bridge divides. When he got to office, and it was apparent the GOPs strategy was going to oppose everything no matter what... he just said screw it, and stopped trying. I get that... it's what I would do... but I do not have the skills to lead my organization let alone the country which is why I don't ask for the job. All he has done is pour more gas on the partisan fire. Continually blaming the last guy 6 years down the road is just poor leadership.

He knew what the problem with DC was when he took the job. He knew he was assuming the Presidency at a time the country was more divided since the Civil War. He knew it was not going to be easy. In that role alone... not his affiliation or political philosophy... in that role he has been a dismal failure. It is indeed exactly what I expected from a guy with his resume. He is/was not the answer.

Now trust me... that in no way what so ever means I think McCain/Palin would have been better. I would not have voted for her, but I actually think Clinton would have done a better job... and she is certainly a polarizing figure (which is why she didn't get the nod... ironic to say the least). Do I know of anyone right now that could be better... actually, I think Romney would have been. Not Romney the candidate, Romney the man... he is actually quite moderate. Who knows what his Presidency would have looked like... but he had to bend over for the GOP, so it is not really a good example. I watched a documentary on him on PBS and he did some good work in Mass, and had quite a life. The same documentary went over Obama... his big claim to fame... what got him noticed by the DNC... is he figured out a loop hole to get Federal money to tear down projects and build high rise condos. He made a crap ton of money for a lot of people when he was in IL. 

I don't know who could lead this country right now. I know I do not want Clinton or another Bush. I know there are more than two families that can run this country. I really wish Powell would step up and "serve". I really admire him and he seems to be able to straddle the line. I would "trust" that he would be working for the countries best interest. So I can rant all I want about Obama, but it isn't like I have a long list of folks I would rather have. Because I will concede to you that I agree.... the Capital is divided and so is the country. Yes we have "problems" we need solved, but right now the biggest problem is we are not getting along and there is a deep divide on which direction American's think this country needs to head. That is a HUGE problem, and I do not know who is going to be able to solve that. 

2013-12-29 8:52 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy I hear ya on the personal stories of leadership in your business...I think we've all seen that in every organization out there no matter how small. Let's try to find some common ground, obviously we are not going to agree on our president who I believe to be most excellent, and you believe to be terrible. There isn't a human being alive, nor a fictional character, or deity for that matter that could take the office of POTUS and be supported by liberals and conservatives. Those on the "other side" are instantly demonized. I guess what I was trying to get at with the narcissist claim (which in President Obama's case just isn't true in my opinion) is that when I think narcissist, I literally think of the guy or gal that can't stop looking at their self, or can't get enough of listening to their self. For example, '04 VP candidate John Edwards. Safe to say there were some narcissistic tendencies? How 'bout 75% of NFL wide receivers? I'd say so. Lady GaGa? Miley Cyrus? I guess those are my images of narcissists. Terrell Owens, Floyd Mayweather, etc. To say the president "can't get enough of himself," just doesn't make sense to me. btw, to say he can't lead, well, he certainly led two dominant presidential campaigns weathering storms that would have taken lesser-skilled politicians completely out of contention. He led the charge for health care reform, and like it or not, he got it through and protected it from the opposition fighting tooth and nail (literally to the point they'd have been happy to shut down the government and let the nation go down the tube just to prevent it from existing). He's been out front protecting our country, gunning down terrorist after terrorist with drones that are hated both by Libertarians and liberal ACLU supporters. He's found himself on the correct side of history supporting gay rights when many thought it would be "too soon" or "too risky." Not too shabby for an "empty suit." powerman, I like your posts too. keep 'em coming...the more we talk, the more chance we'll actually find some common ground slightly closer together.

OK, I accept your narcissist and raise you arrogant. "An inflated sense of one's own importance"... certainly applies. If you want to think of it as vanity, which isn't really the definition, but I get it. 

***I just checked out wikipedia's page on narcissism...it just doesn't fit President Obama. If anything he strikes me as a man who if you want to cut down, you'd have to say he's overly cerebral. By looking at issues from so many angles, by the time he's decided to go with a decision, the opposition's already dug their heels in and won't give an inch, period.

As far as his leadership skills.... so what you are saying is he is a savvy self marketer. I could not believe he defeated the Clinton political machine.
    When he made his first victory speech in a big win over Clinton for the nomination (forget which) I watched his speech to see what he had to say. I knew right then he would be the next POTUS. He's a great motivational speaker with prepared speeches. He's not that great of an orator when talking. 

***I disagree. Again, not one of his debates was a "prepared speech." With the exception of the first debate vs. Romney, and the one debate in Philly? against Hillary, he didn't lose another debate.

But that is the problem with the Health care

***...umm, there are lots of problems with the ACA. A narcissist would deny there's ANY problem. He's acknowledged (as have all experts on the subject out there) there are problems...BUT, the pre-existing system was absolutely unsustainable. The fear-mongering that still exists out there today telling stories of the gloom and doom of the bogeyman "Socialized Medicine," were the same exact cries Congress and the President heard back in the '60's when Medicare was rolled out.

• .. it was evident early on he did not know how to lead.... because many at the time wanted to know why he was on the side lines for so long. He let Congress duke it out. He didn't actually do anything.

• ***Wouldn't a narcissist have come charging in demanding every liberal demand get satisfied? This is what I don't get. If he comes charging in demanding all his specific liberal demands be met, what kind of response do you think he'd get? OR, was it the prudent political move to let his enemies on the Right fight it out amongst themselves (in the process exposing them for the obstructionists they were) than to show his hand early? The Obama opponents' adjectives seem to change based on the wind. When he doesn't step in immediately, he "lacks leadership." When he steps in immediately, uses drones to pick off terrorists, "He is reckless and bloodthirsty." Same goes for the "ruthless Chicago political machine" label. On one hand he's accused of being ruthless, and others he's "weak and passive!" If it's a negative adjective, it doesn't matter to the Right whether it's true, consistent, etc. It has become a joke.

And when he did step in, the concessions he gave were not even close to what he wanted. Sure he got "something" passed where Clinton couldn't... but we were in a more favorable time for HC reform, and it was not a good bill at all for what he wanted. So that is not a victory in my book.

***We'll agree to disagree. HC reform was a bear of a task. Does it need tweaks? Absolutely. That said, the major battle was won by Democrats led by President Obama. (you mean that narcissist labeled it ObamaCare? ...heard that one from a Righty friend of mine) ...and actually, no, the term was not coined by the president or his team.

Continuing the prior POTUS policies on war when you campaigned against every one of them is not a win.

***Oh, you mean like giving a set date for troop pull-outs from foreign wars? The list of differences in foreign policy is long. Also, do you honestly believe Romney would have ended the war in Iraq? I do not. The use of drones against terrorists bent on attacking the US or its citizens abroad is a good thing. Does it matter if it's a fundamentalist imam living abroad? To me, and most Americans, absolutely not. They're going down, and I'm glad.

Supporting gays when it is most convenient to you and after you won the election is not leadership either. I have no idea where you get this "too soon" idea. He supported them when he had more to gain than loose. What is respectable about that?

***Really? It was about 6 months ahead of the '12 election when he decided to support gay marriage. It was not even close to a slam-dunk positive. I was very concerned that very day he may have just lost the election. I know many folks personally that shifted their support based on that issue alone. Quite sad, to think so many people think their own marriage is negatively affected by someone else's. Makes no sense, but I digress!

Here's the deal with leadership... on the campaign trail you can talk all the crap and blame your opponent all you want. When you get the job, you roll up your sleeves and get to work. Some say Obama actually had a decent history of being bridge divides. When he got to office, and it was apparent the GOPs strategy was going to oppose everything no matter what... he just said screw it, and stopped trying. I get that... it's what I would do... but I do not have the skills to lead my organization let alone the country which is why I don't ask for the job. All he has done is pour more gas on the partisan fire.

***What did you want him to do? It's like wanting to get with that girl you see across the gymnasium in high school. She's told all her friends she hates your guts, she's basically told you and everyone she knows you can "go eat sh!* and die." Hmm, what magical words could even George Washington exhumed from the grave and brought back to life have said?

Continually blaming the last guy 6 years down the road is just poor leadership.

***We hit a skid beginning in '07 under W that was downright perilous and it's a fact we hadn't been that economically crippled since the Great Depression. It took a long while for the US to dig out of that Depression as well. When asked about the slow recovery, he was factual. The prior administration drove us into a pretty deep ditch.

He knew what the problem with DC was when he took the job. He knew he was assuming the Presidency at a time the country was more divided since the Civil War. He knew it was not going to be easy.

***Yep. Totally agree.

In that role alone... not his affiliation or political philosophy... in that role he has been a dismal failure.

***Nope, totally disagree. My retirement (and many around the country) has never looked better. Many folks on the Right were locked into hating the President even before he was elected. Fox News keeps beating the drum. GOP Senators and Congressmen have continued the beating as well. Despite the fact we continue to recover, despite the fact we're drawing down militarily in Afghanistan, have left Iraq, have reached a nuclear deal with Iran, etc.

It is indeed exactly what I expected from a guy with his resume. He is/was not the answer.

Now trust me... that in no way what so ever means I think McCain/Palin would have been better. I would not have voted for her, but I actually think Clinton would have done a better job... and she is certainly a polarizing figure (which is why she didn't get the nod... ironic to say the least).

***That's about the only positive I can draw from the GOP's "destroy President Obama at all costs" campaign. They are shooting themselves in the foot with the whole "President Hillary Clinton would have been an improvement." Why? Every time they say it, just cue the '16 commercials supporting President Clinton for election. When the Right behaves like rabid attack dogs, they lose in the long run. Rabid attack dogs don't think long-term.

Do I know of anyone right now that could be better... actually, I think Romney would have been. Not Romney the candidate, Romney the man... he is actually quite moderate. Who knows what his Presidency would have looked like... but he had to bend over for the GOP, so it is not really a good example. I watched a documentary on him on PBS and he did some good work in Mass, and had quite a life. The same documentary went over Obama... his big claim to fame... what got him noticed by the DNC... is he figured out a loop hole to get Federal money to tear down projects and build high rise condos. He made a crap ton of money for a lot of people when he was in IL. 

I don't know who could lead this country right now. I know I do not want Clinton or another Bush. I know there are more than two families that can run this country.

***Well, unless someone else emerges, Hillary Clinton has to be considered the favorite. They've all got skeletons, but how 'bout Rubio? It seems to me he's the GOP's only hope. Losing Hispanics at a 70-30 clip is a death blow to the GOP. Kinda tough to win this large group over when you've got GOP and Tea Party folks shouting to "send those illegal aliens back!"

I really wish Powell would step up and "serve". I really admire him and he seems to be able to straddle the line. I would "trust" that he would be working for the countries best interest.

***I don't know...every time I flip on Hannity he's talking about how Powell is basically a Democrat in disguise. Ya gotta be careful who you wish for.

So I can rant all I want about Obama, but it isn't like I have a long list of folks I would rather have. Because I will concede to you that I agree.... the Capital is divided and so is the country. Yes we have "problems" we need solved, but right now the biggest problem is we are not getting along and there is a deep divide on which direction American's think this country needs to head. That is a HUGE problem, and I do not know who is going to be able to solve that. 

***I think we can agree this aint changing any time soon...but for some reason it certainly is fun talking about it.

Edited by ChineseDemocracy 2013-12-29 8:55 AM
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Would you want to be the President? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

100 Million for President's Vacation? Pages: 1 2

Started by Batlou
    Views: 4413 Posts: 48

2013-07-14 7:51 PM RussTKD
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : May 5, 2008
    author : TriPainter
    comments : 1
    I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
    date : September 10, 2004
    author : Ron
    comments : 2
    Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.