General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prep work for pullups Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-26 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Subject: Prep work for pullups

One of my goals for 2014 is to do real pushups and unassisted pullups (even one pullup is impossible for me now).  I don't have a gym membership (used to use the assisted pullup machine when I did go to the gym).  I don't have a pull up bar yet.  We do have a bowflex but an older one that doesn't have a pullup option.  What can I do now to start strengthening the right muscles to eventually move to assisted then real pullups when I get a bar?  I can do lat pulldowns with my bowflex, will that help?

2013-12-26 4:52 PM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Prep work for pullups

Lat pulldowns with enough resistance that you can only do 1-5 reps per set with 3+ minutes rest between sets.  Do 3-5 sets every other day.

2013-12-27 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Lat Pulldowns and other pulling exercises (rows) and core ( the core work will help stabilize and reduce the swinging), and also use the pullup assist machine..

with the pullup assist machine (the heavier the weight the less of your body weight you lift). as you get stronger you can reduce the weight from machine, to increase the amount of body weight you are lifting.
2013-12-27 5:45 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Ontario

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Lat pulldowns with enough resistance that you can only do 1-5 reps per set with 3+ minutes rest between sets.  Do 3-5 sets every other day.

thanks don,  I will start with this.  I'm sure it will take me a few sessions to get the weight right and hopefully in a month when I get a pullup bar I might be able to do ONE !

2013-12-27 5:46 PM
in reply to: momo

User image

Expert
Ontario

Originally posted by momo Lat Pulldowns and other pulling exercises (rows) and core ( the core work will help stabilize and reduce the swinging), and also use the pullup assist machine.. with the pullup assist machine (the heavier the weight the less of your body weight you lift). as you get stronger you can reduce the weight from machine, to increase the amount of body weight you are lifting.

thanks for the reply.  I can do lat pulldowns and rows with our bowflex but don't have a gym membership right now to use the assist pullup machine.

2013-12-27 6:21 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I was In a similar situation at the start of LAST YEAR. There is no reason other than not owning a bar that you can't do pullups TODAY!

I bought a resistance band you wrap around your knee or out a foot end to lessen the work you have to do. Mine was a Jump Stretch 75lb from amazon, but they sell them branded by RAGE crossfit at sports authority and lots of other stores.

I started with 75lb band then moved to a 50 25 and now I can do pullups unassisted however I'll still use the bands when from time to time or at the end of workouts so I can still complete a set (like doing curls with 30s then fatiguing and finishing with 25etc)

I strongly recommend a band and bar. It's so much more motivating to ACTUALLY go through the pull-up motion. Also, specificity in training right? Train for a marathon by cycling for cardio and lifting legs? Nah, you gotta run! And you need to do some pullups!

I wish you the best-anyone can overcome the push-up/pull-up battle. Small steps and you'll get there. GOOD LUCK!

2013-12-28 9:49 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cathyd

thanks don,  I will start with this.  I'm sure it will take me a few sessions to get the weight right and hopefully in a month when I get a pullup bar I might be able to do ONE !

You're welcome!

Here's why this was my recommendation - You said you can't even do one pullup right now.  Strength is how much force your muscles can create for one contraction.  Since you can't do one rep, focusing on strength is the shortest route to doing a pullup.  No offense to any of the other posters, but some of those suggestions, while they will increase strength, won't increase it as much as a workout structure focused on it, meaning they're not the quickest way to a full pullup.  A workout structure with multiple sets of 1-5 repetitions near maximal effort with long rests that allow nearly full recovery is a strength focused program, and will usually result in the greatest strength improvements.

As a side note, 6-11 repetitions with 1-1.5 minutes rest typically focuses on hypertrophy (size gains), and 12+ repetitions with :30 rest focuses on anaerobic endurance.  In all of these structures, there is a fair amount of "crossover", meaning that a program focused on strength will still result in some size and anaerobic endurance gains, just as a program with the goal of size gains will still increase strength and anaerobic endurance, but not as much as if the program design aligns better with the primary goal.

2013-12-29 9:38 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

This is pretty spot on.  

2013-12-29 11:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion

I do bodyweight exercises exclusively now and I would suggest 'just hanging'.  Yeah, just see how long you can hang and try to increase that.  That will strengthen that whole region too to eventually prepare you for doing a pullup.  

You can also get a step stool and start in the 'up' position of the pullup (chin at bar), kick the stool out of the way and do a 'negative' on the decline - just try to lower yourself back down as slow as possible - do a few of these with a few minutes of rest between.  This will develop the functional strength needed real quick.

2013-12-29 12:27 PM
in reply to: Ron

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-01-01 11:21 AM
in reply to: Teejaay

Expert
Ontario

Originally posted by Teejaay

Originally posted by Ron

I do bodyweight exercises exclusively now and I would suggest 'just hanging'.  Yeah, just see how long you can hang and try to increase that.  That will strengthen that whole region too to eventually prepare you for doing a pullup.  

You can also get a step stool and start in the 'up' position of the pullup (chin at bar), kick the stool out of the way and do a 'negative' on the decline - just try to lower yourself back down as slow as possible - do a few of these with a few minutes of reset between.  This will develop the functional strength needed real quick.

What Ron said ... the negative pull up (and push up if you are interested in improving those too) has helped me more than anything!  You can't do too many like that in a session though because it will wear you out!  I've done them with a bench and I jump up into the pullup then keep tight and go super slow on the way down .. you can also do them using a  band too.   Hanging from the bar is great for your grip strength as well!!

I will do all of that when I get the pullup bar, I just don't have one yet and wanted to know what I could do with what I have now until I get one.  Grip could be part of my problem as I do also have some arthritis in my hands and my grip is noticeably weaker the last couple years (as in having trouble opening jars), I'm hoping to improve that as well.

How do you do negative pushups?  Just lowering yourself slowly?  I'm doing pushups on stairs now (so at an angle but full pushups rather than from knees).

2014-01-02 11:44 AM

Champion
Calgary

You're welcome!

Here's why this was my recommendation - You said you can't even do one pullup right now.  Strength is how much force your muscles can create for one contraction.  Since you can't do one rep, focusing on strength is the shortest route to doing a pullup.  No offense to any of the other posters, but some of those suggestions, while they will increase strength, won't increase it as much as a workout structure focused on it, meaning they're not the quickest way to a full pullup.  A workout structure with multiple sets of 1-5 repetitions near maximal effort with long rests that allow nearly full recovery is a strength focused program, and will usually result in the greatest strength improvements.

As a side note, 6-11 repetitions with 1-1.5 minutes rest typically focuses on hypertrophy (size gains), and 12+ repetitions with :30 rest focuses on anaerobic endurance.  In all of these structures, there is a fair amount of "crossover", meaning that a program focused on strength will still result in some size and anaerobic endurance gains, just as a program with the goal of size gains will still increase strength and anaerobic endurance, but not as much as if the program design aligns better with the primary goal.

Could you maybe comment on this a bit more? I understand, generally, less reps, more time between stets = strength gains. Bu what does the progression look like. Do you find that weight you can do 5 reps of for 5 sets. Then the next workout day you up it by a bit so you are doing like sets of 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, then you stick at that weight until you can do 5 X 5? Or is their a benefit of doing 1 rep heavy sets right from the get go, so that you are never doing 5 X 5. Is there a benefit to increasing the weight between sets? For a beginner, would their be any need to worry about these things?

I am trying to figure out this strength training thing, guidance on this is appreciated.

Is their a very good book on this that you can recommend. Something akin to the Lore of Running or Daniels for running.
2014-01-02 6:26 PM
in reply to: BigDH

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by BigDH

You're welcome!

Could you maybe comment on this a bit more? I understand, generally, less reps, more time between stets = strength gains. Bu what does the progression look like. Do you find that weight you can do 5 reps of for 5 sets. Then the next workout day you up it by a bit so you are doing like sets of 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, then you stick at that weight until you can do 5 X 5? Or is their a benefit of doing 1 rep heavy sets right from the get go, so that you are never doing 5 X 5. Is there a benefit to increasing the weight between sets? For a beginner, would their be any need to worry about these things? I am trying to figure out this strength training thing, guidance on this is appreciated. Is their a very good book on this that you can recommend. Something akin to the Lore of Running or Daniels for running.

There are different techniques that can be used for progression.  The most basic is to say if you can do 3+ sets of 5 reps, then increase the weight next session and reduce the reps.  If you're stuck and not making gains, you can then incorporate things like negatives as mentioned above, or slow down the negative (eccentric contraction) to increase the training stress applied in the session.

For most people most of the time, they can see some really nice progress just through consistent training with straight forward rep and set structure.  (Does this sound similar to much of the advice regarding endurance training?    IME, it's usually not necessary to employ some of the more complex techniques for the average person just trying to get stronger.  Now, if we're talking about power lifters or body builders, that's another story, but I'd refer them to another trainer who specializes in those sports anyway.

2014-01-06 4:10 PM

Champion
Calgary
thanks, that helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prep work for pullups Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How to coordinate strength training with swim/bike/run work outs

Started by Tri_Kor
Views: 3086 Posts: 11

2008-05-18 8:00 PM Benskull

Men - Can you do pullups? Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by KenD
Views: 23762 Posts: 159

2009-11-18 7:43 AM musclegym

Lower back work

Started by gracetheterp
Views: 1222 Posts: 3

2008-01-08 1:30 PM Q

Festivus '08 prep?

Started by newleaf
Views: 1302 Posts: 3

2007-12-24 9:36 PM Shermbelle

Want more pushups, pullups, etc?

Started by kimj81
Views: 2353 Posts: 11

2007-12-14 4:14 PM graceful_dave
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 0
This part of the program is the conditioning phase using several bodyweight exercises including pushups, pullups, dips, squats and situps.

date : April 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
Triathlon is more than just three sports. For most of us it includes the real world of work, family and a host of other obligations. Only one problem: when and how much sleep should we get?
date : March 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Improving speed in swimming is more than just doing a few sprints at the beginning and end of your workouts. It takes a little more thinking, but I promise there is no high level math involved!

date : October 2, 2005
comments : 3
In part one the focus was the packing phase of a race. Here are a few more ideas to help with a successful race.
date : July 31, 2005
comments : 5
As race day apporaches anxiety builds. Don't let packing add to that list of worries. Part 1 is a checklist compiled by many that I have used on race day.

date : July 5, 2005
author : chrisandniki
You’ll find you can work these general routines around your work and family commitments, while keeping yourself fit enough for Sprint or Olympic triathlon distances.
date : October 17, 2004
author : mbologna
One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.