of 2

2013-12-28 7:03 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Over 50 Triathletes

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by trigal38

I'm not 50 yet but even at 41 I am really noticing my body pretty much rejecting running. I'll be happy if I can make it to 50 at this rate. Never any major injuries but always something, to the point that I just don't care that much anymore. I'm sitting here with my foot in a bucket of ice water while I'm typing this!

Sorry your foot is sore. Ice water is good. May I ask what is wrong? I messed my metatarsals from a combo of things in the fall of 2012. High mileage, box jumps and low recovery. BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group

Well, I think I probably have posterior tibial tendonitis. I have not been to the doctor this time. I've been to the podiatrist for so many other foot issues that I kind of already know the protocol. I have custom orthotics, I have a stability boot, I have a prescription NASID and I have ice. The only other thing he could tell me is that I've screwed it up so bad I need surgery and I don't really want to hear that . Thanks for asking. It forced me to go look it up. I've been wearing floppy sandals around the house and that is no no for this issue so back to my orthotics all day.

I had metatarsal issues a couple of years ago - not fun! Glad you resolved your issues.

2013-12-28 6:20 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I'm 51 and have been doing triathlons for around four years. Prior to that I was fairly active - mountain biking, cross country skiing and squash with a running phase thrown in for a couple of year starting back in 2002.

2012 was a great year for me with personal bests in just about all of the running and triathlon distances that I entered. 2013 wasn't as good, so I guess I'll find out in the next couple of years whether my peak years are behind me.

My running and biking are about equal and are much stronger than my swimming, which basically sucks. Physically I have felt really good the last two or three years - none the disciplines leave me feeling particularly sore or tired afterwards. I know that a lot of athletes use ice baths, and rollers, and stretching and massage (and etc) to aid their recovery, but I don't do any of these things because I generally don't feel like I have pain or discomfort that needs the attention. (I haven't been racing longer than 10km running and Oly tris so I'm sure that some of the other posters are putting in more volume than I do.)

In order to improve my triathlon times I guess that swimming is the low hanging fruit for me - I really haven't put in the work that's needed to improve.
Don
2013-12-29 6:24 AM
in reply to: donw

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by donw

I'm 51 and have been doing triathlons for around four years. Prior to that I was fairly active - mountain biking, cross country skiing and squash with a running phase thrown in for a couple of year starting back in 2002.

2012 was a great year for me with personal bests in just about all of the running and triathlon distances that I entered. 2013 wasn't as good, so I guess I'll find out in the next couple of years whether my peak years are behind me.

My running and biking are about equal and are much stronger than my swimming, which basically sucks. Physically I have felt really good the last two or three years - none the disciplines leave me feeling particularly sore or tired afterwards. I know that a lot of athletes use ice baths, and rollers, and stretching and massage (and etc) to aid their recovery, but I don't do any of these things because I generally don't feel like I have pain or discomfort that needs the attention. (I haven't been racing longer than 10km running and Oly tris so I'm sure that some of the other posters are putting in more volume than I do.)

In order to improve my triathlon times I guess that swimming is the low hanging fruit for me - I really haven't put in the work that's needed to improve.
Don

Don, keep it up man, looks like you are a doing great in the sport. I would not worry so much about how things are going to go in the future.

Dang……I was going to look at your logs to see what kind of swimming volume you had, but not’a. O’well, so what kind of yardage are you doing in the pool?
2013-12-29 11:40 AM
in reply to: SearayPaul

User image

I started triathlons this year at 58. I feel years younger because of it.
2013-12-29 2:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Originally posted by rick4657

I turn 55 this year and will be doing my first Ironman in Boulder on August 3rd. I have slowed down some but still can handle the training volume and speed workouts. The main thing that is different now that I am older is that I take longer to recover. Years ago I used to be able to incorporate two hard days in a row, now I have to take a rest / recovery day the day after a hard effort.

WOW nice first Ironman! You must like hills like me.

Yep, recovery really drives my training and is a fine balance for me. I paid for it last year by doing 2 HIM and a Ironman all in 3 months time frame. The first HIM was a brutal run for me and I never recovered well enough.

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group

Yes, I do like playing in the hills. I live in the South Denver Metro Area, most of my training rides have more hills and elevation than the Boulder IM course has. I did the Boulder 70.3 last year and thought that it was an easy course. The only factor that slowed me down was the 90+ degree heat on the run, the run course along Boulder Creek for the IM will have some shade and be cooler than the treeless run around the reservoir in the 70.3.

Of the three disciplines I think that running is the hardest when you begin to age. Since I came from a running background I am not seeing my running performance drop off as quickly as some people that weren't runners to start with. Since I am fairly new to S & B (mainly swimming since I did a lot of long charity rides in the 80s.) I am still getting faster in both of them due to improved form and training.

Edited by rick4657 2013-12-29 3:07 PM
2013-12-29 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

So the years are rolling by, and yet I am still going. I race at age 52 this year, as always I am hopeful for a good year. I am thankful I can still swim, bike and run.

I find triathlon training more and more interesting and challenging. I think and regrettable my running is taken the hit the hardest. My swim and bike seam ok, just the run seams harder to recovery as well as the most effort.

What seams to be your weaker event as the years tick by?

yep same, it's a 52 year for me too.

trying to rehab my running...which got really bad near the end of this season due to PF, & heel pain. So running is my "achilles heel", next is swimming with shoulder and elbow issues.

Biking a lot now in off season....looking for my first race in March.

2013-12-29 7:04 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by b2run

Hey welcome to the sport!

I saw you posted in the other 8 year thread. I was not going post to that thread.....

Really start slow and enjoy.
2013-12-29 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
The obvious just dawned on me - I need to mention my role model, Bill Bell, who some of you have probably met. Bill started running in his early 50s when the doctor said to to help a heart problem. So Bill soon ran marathons, and then was one of the early Ironman finishers. He made the Wide World of Sports because his age was impressive then, and he podiumed even after breaking a chain.

Bill has gone on to finish a bunch of IMs and a total of 300+ tris so far! He still races, and at the Oceanside 70.3 this year, he was in the water at swim-out unzipping wetsuits. Bill is 91. He's a local hero in our circles here on the desert, and still flirts with the girls on Facebook. I want to be Bill Bell when I grow up

link

link

on edit: I have to add that you should come to the Desert tris in La Quinta in a few weeks. Bill and his buddy Pam Galbraith give the beginners clinic every year, and it's hugely entertaining, probably more so for veteran triathletes than for newbs, who universally love the clinics too. Bill usually races too.

Edited by Pacific John 2013-12-29 8:46 PM
2013-12-30 2:51 AM
in reply to: Pacific John

User image

Regular
Madrid
Cutting to the chase this aging thing is tricky. The common themes here seem to be:
1- Injury. As unwelcome as they are at some point they're probably inevitable. I find the older I get consessions have to be made in time ie go slower and or distance ie go shorter. Staying within ones limits helps a lot on the injury front. Yeah.... Duh. We learn this usually the hard way.
2- Recovery. The older I get recovery seems to take longer. Yeah I know, Duh again. I like to try to fit in 4 or 5 workouts over the course of a week ranging from 40 minutes to 1.5 hours (Mostly running and biking, Swimming in the summers only). About a year ago I started taking supplements geared towards recovery (a lot of stuff that ends in -ine). I was skeptical but a guy told me try them for a month, see if I notice anything, then stop and see if there's a difference/reversion. For me there's a noticeable difference. Not to intentionally redirect the discussion but I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on recovery geared supplements.

A couple other random thoughts.
- I've noticed drop offs around the 5 year marks ie 35, 45 rather than round numbers 40, 50.
- As mechanics change with age I found changing shoes has helped me a lot to adapt to the changes in stride and strike.
2014-01-01 11:59 AM
in reply to: Pacific John

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Pacific John

The obvious just dawned on me - I need to mention my role model, Bill Bell, who some of you have probably met. Bill started running in his early 50s when the doctor said to to help a heart problem. So Bill soon ran marathons, and then was one of the early Ironman finishers. He made the Wide World of Sports because his age was impressive then, and he podiumed even after breaking a chain.

Bill has gone on to finish a bunch of IMs and a total of 300+ tris so far! He still races, and at the Oceanside 70.3 this year, he was in the water at swim-out unzipping wetsuits. Bill is 91. He's a local hero in our circles here on the desert, and still flirts with the girls on Facebook. I want to be Bill Bell when I grow up

link

link

on edit: I have to add that you should come to the Desert tris in La Quinta in a few weeks. Bill and his buddy Pam Galbraith give the beginners clinic every year, and it's hugely entertaining, probably more so for veteran triathletes than for newbs, who universally love the clinics too. Bill usually races too.

I remember Bill. I believe I meet him on Oahu in 83' (I think). I believe he setup the non-sanctioned iron distance fun race the year before I did it on I Oahu. He may have been one of the organizers if i remember correctly.

2014-01-01 12:29 PM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by gr33n

Cutting to the chase this aging thing is tricky. The common themes here seem to be:
1- Injury. As unwelcome as they are at some point they're probably inevitable. I find the older I get consessions have to be made in time ie go slower and or distance ie go shorter. Staying within ones limits helps a lot on the injury front. Yeah.... Duh. We learn this usually the hard way.
2- Recovery. The older I get recovery seems to take longer. Yeah I know, Duh again. I like to try to fit in 4 or 5 workouts over the course of a week ranging from 40 minutes to 1.5 hours (Mostly running and biking, Swimming in the summers only). About a year ago I started taking supplements geared towards recovery (a lot of stuff that ends in -ine). I was skeptical but a guy told me try them for a month, see if I notice anything, then stop and see if there's a difference/reversion. For me there's a noticeable difference. Not to intentionally redirect the discussion but I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on recovery geared supplements.

A couple other random thoughts.
- I've noticed drop offs around the 5 year marks ie 35, 45 rather than round numbers 40, 50.
- As mechanics change with age I found changing shoes has helped me a lot to adapt to the changes in stride and strike.

I think my biggest challenge is JUST the readjusting of my training and racing strategy to the aging thing. It seams to happen is spurts. I mean I sure did wake up a my body said you are not doing this.

I guess like you have noticed it in increments, just with me it seams 51 is when I really noticed things. I am just learning that changing things up helps a lot more now.

2014-01-01 1:41 PM

User image

Originally posted by b2run

Hey welcome to the sport!

I saw you posted in the other 8 year thread. I was not going post to that thread.....

Really start slow and enjoy.

Yea, I should have read the original. I'm blaming my ADD.
2014-01-02 7:51 AM
in reply to: SearayPaul

New user
I'm 63, 1st Tri in 1995 at 55. I was a runner but running is still the toughest on the body. I find that biking and swimming is a good alternative to running, health wise. I hope to keep going and improving into the next age group, that's my goal.
2014-01-02 5:33 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Cycling really chaps my arse
2014-01-04 7:10 AM
in reply to: mikealti62

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by mikealti62

I'm 63, 1st Tri in 1995 at 55. I was a runner but running is still the toughest on the body. I find that biking and swimming is a good alternative to running, health wise. I hope to keep going and improving into the next age group, that's my goal.

Why to go Mike! Keep it up......

I am interested to know how was running hard on your body. Did you suffer from feet or knee injuries? Also what type of footwear did you wear in your early running career?

Thank you.

2014-01-04 7:11 AM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by La Tortuga

Cycling really chaps my arse

They make a cream for that.......

2014-01-04 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I'm 55 and my first tri was in 2008. I've been running since I was 15 and my race pace for 10K now is the same as my easy long runs of 20 years ago. In 2013 I signed up for online coaching and utilized defined training plans and ended up with my PR for the Olympic distance. For a race I've done for the last 5 years, below are my bike and run paces. Note that in 2012 the run course changed and was made more difficult. The bike courses were the same.
year bike run
2009 18.96 8:24
2010 18.86 8:26
2011 18.87 8:55
2012 20.39 9:05
2013 20.14 8:16

From an injury perspective, I've learned that I need to listen to by body more. A tight calf muscle in the past I could just run through. Now a tight calf muscle means I need to take a break or end up with a strain that could keep me from running for several weeks or more.

Last fall I changed my swim stroke to try and get more efficient to improve my swim times. I pushed too hard and ended up with tendonitis in my elbow that has kept me from swimming for 2 months.

To answer the original question, biking has been my weakest event, but is the event I've been improving on. I have neck issues and can't get as aero as most people which affects my bike pace. Running I'll never get back to where I was years ago, but I've been improving in the run relative to others in my age group. In the Olympic age group nationals last summer, in my age group I was 63rd in swimming, 76th on the bike, and 45th for the run.
2014-01-04 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Originally posted by donw

Don

Don, keep it up man, looks like you are a doing great in the sport. I would not worry so much about how things are going to go in the future.

Dang……I was going to look at your logs to see what kind of swimming volume you had, but not’a. O’well, so what kind of yardage are you doing in the pool?

I just checked my totals for 2013.
Swimming 81.65 km, 36.5 hours (37 visits to the pool)
Running 1126km, 98.5 hours
Biking 1364km, 183 hours (includes a lot of commuting)

The swimming comes in spurts. I did a weekly class in October / November which motivated me to get out for one or two additional swims per week. But I haven't been to the pool since the end of November. I'll get back to the pool again as the tri season gets closer and the end result will likely be a race pace that's a little slower than 2:00 per 100m - just like in other years. In winter, cross country skiing tends to bump swimming off of my activity list.
Don
2014-01-05 8:23 AM
in reply to: donw

User image

Pro

I agree with the injury/recovery theme. I'll be 52 in a few weeks, been running since HS. Never been injured running until last year, and it took forever to heal. Crashed my bike in August 2012 and still have nerve pain. I never needed a foam roller, ice, tape, sports massage, etc. just to get through the week. It's frustrating to think I've suddenly become mortal.

That being said, I am a late comer to triathlon, and didn't swim prior to 2011. No that I really swim now, but at least I'm on the surface more than under, and I've come to terms with never being a good swimmer. On the other hand, I found out how much fun cycling could be, and there is a lot of pleasure in being able to go spend a sunny Saturday or Sunday cycling with friends. To me, racing is just the icing on the cake. I'm not winning, but that doesn't mean I don't still enjoy competition.

2011 was a great year, first year of tri, and I managed 3 marathons and a BQ. 2012 was off to a great start, signed up for 2 HIM's but then the bike crash in August killed that idea. 2013 was off to a good start, ran Boston, but got injured, did a HIM three weeks later and it was nothing but pain. Season over. 2014 I am going to do a lot of sprints and a half, and focus more on biking and swimming. Sad to say, but all those years of high mileage running are finally catching up with me, so it's evolve or perish

2014-01-05 7:03 PM

1st triathlon in 1985. Older means slower running and reduced frequency per week. Running is the hardest item to recover from and to avoid injury. Lots of treadmill running now which is easier on the body than on the road. Need to use a two week work and third week easy routine to minimize chance of going too hard, too slow. Use cross country skiing in winter months to provide variety and prevent burnout. Much harder to maintain weight as one gets older.
2014-01-05 9:00 PM
in reply to: Billyk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Been following this thread since I'm  currently 51. Played tennis competitively as a junior and for a couple of years in college. Played tennis off and on over the years and ran fairly regulary. Lifted weights, played basketball, softball and stayed pretty active. Decided to do a triathlon to get in some cross training since every time I ramped up the running I ended up with an injury. Did 2 races in 2009 and been much more active 2010 through 2013. Did 11 races in 2013: 2 HIM, 2 oly and 7 sprints. Have steadily improved each year gaining USAT All American status this year...WOOHOO!

I actually think guys like me that get into it later have an advantage over some of the guys that have been doing it for 20+ years. Our bodies don't have all that acculmulated fatigue from training 3 sports for 20+ years. Sure that can also be a disadvantage but realistically once you reach around 45 the training is going to gradually wear on your joints. Sure we are more fit and the engine may be stronger but the chassis has more wear and tear. I had 2 surgeries on my right knee 20 years ago and it gives me problems off and on but actually is better now that I do triathlons than it was when I was just running.

Biggest problem I have is my right calf. Seems that every year when I build up my run in the Winter I end up with a calf strain. I roll and stretch and ART but it always seems to pop up and I'll lose a few weeks of running. One of my resolutions for 2014 is to incorporate more functional strength exercises in my training to try to help with muscle imbalance and core stability. Don't know if it will help but certainly can't hurt.....although it does right now

The thing that has helped me improve is being consistent. Working out consistently every week. I have not really taken an off season the last few years. The volume and intensity may drop off a little during the Winter months but not substantially. Its too hard to build back up with prolonged time away. Plus with living on the Gulf Coast race season runs from late March/early April through the end of October. I also have used a coach the last couple of years and that has helped immensely. I figure I have another 1-2 years of improvement. Then 2-3 years flat or maybe losing a bit then what will hopefully be only a gradual decline.....can't wait to age up to 55+ then 60.   

I averaged a little over 10 hours a week s/b/r last year. I truly enjoy training.....swimming still up for debate. No interest in IM distance as I don't know that my body would hold up to the type of training I would need to do to race well. So, I stay motivated racing alot and meeting lots of great people along the way.     

2014-11-23 8:48 PM
in reply to: slornow

I turned 50 this year. Have been a 50th percentile runner for over 30 years. I used to have cramping and plantar fasciitis issues, but since I made a slow (1 year) transition to minimalist running, I haven't had one single injury issue (well except for the two broken clavicles). I love hearing about athletes keeping it up who are decades older than me. I want to be like you!
2014-11-24 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Well for Me at age 61 its running running running that is the challenge, I had to stop running for 20 months 2 years ago due to a severely bruised femur head that was leaking blood into the knee when I ran and a cut meniscus caused by micro fractures in the femur head in the right knee which now has osteoarthritis . Started back running about 15 months ago again I am now limited to a max 15 miles a week by my sports surgeon, while running very well right now at around 9:00/mile, 8:45 on a great day I have not been able to build running fitness since the stoppage its been a huge struggle, I can do Run walk just fine but a steady 1 hr run and a full 10K I just haven't been able to get back too.. I need a 1min walk for about every 10 minutes of run and just can't seem to get past this now I am up to 8k but getting out to 10K is taking like forever.. I need to space at least 1 day between runs and 2 is much better for adequate recovery for runs, On a side note I did manage to hit a 20 MPH avg on the bike this year at a 40Km distance a number of times which was my goal last year and with all the time I have been swimming in the pool my swim times are getting awesome I have gone from 2:30/100M 2 years ago to1:55/ 2:00 avg on a long 3000M distance pace and am ripping off fast 50's at 42 seconds and fast 100's at 1:30 Just can sustain it. Double up training days are almost a thing of the past I can work in the occasional one but very sporadically and usually pay the price for doing it later in the week necessitating additional time off to recover so doubles are just not worth it from a training stand point for me anyways..

So to the point you will probably be able to maintain your bike or improve a bit, Improve or maintain your swim, but regardless most likely your run will continue to degrade in both speed and endurance, the positive note is that so will most others in you Age group. At my last race a long sprint I was 1st out of the water by a minute second off the bike by 28 seconds and finished 6th overall 3:10 back in the 60 to 65 AG out of 12 competitors, so I got quite literally Killed on the run, but it is what it is, I am working on it but it might just never get any better then it is now, at this point I am happy just to be able to run again at all as my surgeon told me a couple of years back that I would probably be walking with a cane by now if I didn't stop running, he is amazed at where I am now. We do an MRI every 4 months now just to keep an eye on the Knees condition and Aleeve has become my new best Friend but I try not to use it unless absolutely required . MY goal this year is get back to 10K on the run @ 54 to 56 minutes and to get in an Olympic distance race, something 3 years ago I was told wasn't going to be happening any time soon if ever. and I have come to the realization that a full Iron is probably totally out of the question but a half might be doable down the road a bit if I go slow and easy to get there.

Edited by RRH_88 2014-11-24 9:00 AM
2014-11-24 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by SearayPaul

I have a goal to do one more iron distance in two years at age 60, we shall see. The knees no longer work correctly for running. Walking will be the way to finish the distance. I will need a big cushion off the bike to have enough time to finish the race before the cutoff. Keeping up the swimming and bike fitness has been easy. I can still whip a lot of young people in the pool and hold my own on the bike. I also get beat by more young people than I used to.

Running is out of the question. I walk 3 to 5 miles per day on a 14 minute pace a couple of times a week. This will have to do. I will make the most of it. I really enjoy being the old person out there with all of the young people. The young people keep me moving. They may and do finish faster than me oh well I am old. There is no shame in finishing last.

See ya'll in two years.

Having body parts not working correctly for Ironman is not my idea of a good start. Not saying it has not been done. The biggest challenge is getting to the line. I know a few my self included that have done the training stayed healthy then weeks before something fails. Some will race some not. Good luck. btw run walk is a good approach to finish. I ended up doing that with my last Ironman and still went under 12hr. It can be done.

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-11-24 10:01 AM
2014-11-24 9:39 AM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm also 61 and have similar issues.

My orthopedic surgeon advised me to think about giving up running completely after I tore my left Achilles in 2010 and was diagnosed with degenerative tendinosis in both legs.  Our compromise was that I agreed to give up sports that required jumping, sudden starts & stops or changes of direction.

I started using the Galloway run/walk method when I was rehabbing from my Achilles.  I played with different r/w ratios and found that staying within  a 4:1 ratio works well for me.  That still lets me run four days a week (though never more than two days in a row).  I can handle up to 20 miles per week, which is enough to train for Oly distance tri's and an occasional half marathon.  A HIM or IM is beyond me at this point, but that's OK.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Over 50 Triathletes Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Planet X Carbon Clinchers 50/50. Anyone Have These?

Started by misha1809
Views: 3404 Posts: 10

2010-11-15 9:40 PM Freeswimmingfish

50 by 50

Started by dmiller5
Views: 1529 Posts: 11

2010-10-14 3:50 PM lestoad

re: Triathletes Over 50

Started by infosteward
Views: 1547 Posts: 16

2013-12-29 7:08 PM Left Brain

50 yd swim sprint?

Started by kpar
Views: 1096 Posts: 5

2005-03-30 2:57 PM docswim24

5 at 5 at 50 ...

Started by triman50
Views: 1531 Posts: 19

2004-04-01 12:10 AM richblast
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Just because it makes you want to cheer, here are some more video clips.

date : September 8, 2004
author : promotion
comments : 4
ProMotion continues to excel in the Triathlon wetsuit market with evolved designs widely regarded as the finest available and loyal support from athletes worldwide.