General Discussion Race Reports! » Outer Banks Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Outer Banks Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Manteo, North Carolina
United States
Outer Banks Sporting Events
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 49s
Overall Rank = 32/139
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/23
Swim
  • 29m 25s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Bike
  • 1h 06m 51s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 21.99 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Run
  • 58m 16s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 50s  min/km
Comments:

Had to stop to relieve myself coming out of T2.
What would you do differently?:

Not pee during the run!
Post race
Event comments:

The 2013 OBX Triathlon is in the books, and it was contested by several folks from Charlottesville including Ed Berger, Adam Swartout, Charlie Carter, Bob Houser, and yours truly. There may have been others, but that's all I saw. Below is a summary of my race followed by a more in-depth look at the race itself for those in the C'ville Club who might be interested.

The Outer Banks Triathlon is a USAT-sanctioned event contested each September in and around the Dare County Regional Airport in Manteo, NC. The open-water swim takes place in the salt waters of Croatan Sound along the western shores of Roanoke Island. The ride and run are essentially flat. This was my third overall race and my first attempt at the olympic distance and I found myself elbow to elbow with 269 other hopefuls. In the weeks leading up to the race I set a sub-2:40:00 goal for myself, but after coming down with a cold earlier in the week I just wanted to finish the run running… which I did… barely!

Swim (1500 meters). I survived the swim - 00:29:25.
Bike (24.5 miles). I rocked the bike - 01:06:51 (22.2 mph)
Run (10k). I finished the run running… barely - 00:58:16.

As if my run time wasn't bad enough it was made worse by an unscheduled pitstop coming out of T2. As a newbie I've not yet mastered the art of relieving myself "on the fly" so wasted a couple of precious minutes heeding nature's call. Really?! C'mon!

My overall time was 2:38:49, which was good enough for 39th overall… 32nd if you rule out the relays… 30th is you don't count the two women who smoked me. My bike time held up for 11th overall - sure is fun to race on flats after training all year in Charlottesville! The winner (Brad Tripp) finished his race in a tidy 2:13:18. The fastest female (Jessica Lehman) finished hers in a cool 2:34:19.

For anyone interested in the particulars of the race event itself, read on….

Swim. We started in waves of 100 in waste-deep water with plenty of elbow room and headed for the first of two buoys in a triangle course that ended where it began. The weather was good so the chop was light, but there was still enough swell to be slightly nauseating to the uninitiated (such as me). There was also a current that ran parallel to the shoreline, so the second wave - who saw the first wave swim well wide of the turn - aimed well inside the 500-meter buoy in order to hit the target. The legs were equidistant, but the second seemed the longest because it was against the current. Friends who've done this race in less than ideal weather have reported sketchy conditions during the swim. As I chugged along I thought to myself, "I can see that. Don't think I'd want to be out here in anything rougher than this," but maybe that's just me. The bottom along the shore was sandy and the water was shallow enough that you could stand (if you felt the urge) at any point in the first 300 or so meters. And, yes, it was wetsuit legal. And, yes, I wish I had one, too!

T1. Upon exiting the water you run up a boat ramp and through a mown field before crossing a road into the grassy transition area - about 500 meters point-to-point depending how far down the line you are. Racks are standard, and positions are assigned in groups by race numbers.

Ride. The ride is an out-and-back on flat but rough roads. The route crosses the landmark bridge, which provides the only (and very slight) elevation gain. The roads are NOT closed to traffic, but there was very little and police and volunteers were stationed along the path. Even so, it was a little disconcerting. I had very little wind - head, tail, or otherwise - but others who've raced in the past have said that the helping/hurting wind can be noticeable at times. I imagine that's particularly true on the bridge, which stretches for over a mile.

T2. There are port-a-johns upon exit. Just saying'.

Run. The run is also an out-and-back over flat terrain. The first half is on a dirt road stretching across the airport, which sounds lovely until you stop to consider the kind of dirt they have in North Cackalacky - very fine, very black, silt. It's like running on the beach at times, which makes for a slow beginning and end to the run. I ended up hopping off to the side and took my chances with the uneven surface below the mown grass. In the end I couldn't decide which was better. Actually, in the end I decided that I didn't like either! Beyond the airport you run through a neighborhood, which is nice because it's on a road (for starters) lined with shade trees and plenty of aid stations.

Amenities. The race is fairly well organized with plenty of e-mails in the lead-up to make sure you're all squared away. The "virtual" race bag (which arrives via e-mail, too) included coupons for the area and a free, one-year subscription to a fitness magazine of your choosing. Race results were available via computer at the finish line, and you could print a "receipt" with your time and splits. There wasn't any real-time scoring on-site, though, and the website wasn't updated until late that same night. Aside from a pretty nice metal and a "deluxe" pull-string race bag (you know… like the kids wear) there wasn't much else happening - certainly no complimentary massages, which is all I could think about as I slogged through the last half-mile of silty-silt. That said, it was very fan-friendly and my family who came to cheer me on had plenty of access to the event and a good time was had by all… except for me when I was peeing when I should've been running.

Registration is open for 2014 - sprint, olympic, or half iron. You chose.

Last updated: 2013-11-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:25 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 45/139
Performance:
Suit: Wetsuit legal, but I didn't wear one.
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:51 | 24.5 miles | 21.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 11/139
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:16 | 10 kms | 05m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 11/23
Overall: 61/139
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-12-28 7:31 PM

User image

Subject: Outer Banks Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Outer Banks Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Outer Banks Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by ladybug4mee
Views: 654 Posts: 1

2013-01-24 3:27 PM ladybug4mee

Outer Banks Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by SoberMike
Views: 1348 Posts: 2

2012-09-28 9:39 PM BigDH

Outer Banks Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by SpeedKnight
Views: 1166 Posts: 1

2012-09-24 8:19 PM SpeedKnight

Outer Banks Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by bgraboski
Views: 1530 Posts: 1

2012-09-24 9:07 AM bgraboski

Outer Banks Triathlon (Olympic)

Started by Theresa16
Views: 1781 Posts: 1

2010-09-22 4:20 AM Theresa16
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.