BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-01-09 7:03 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Originally posted by trigal38

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79
Originally posted by trigal38

Alright, I tried Sufferfest Local Hero today.

Funny thing, I was thinking I was just going to fluff my way through the workout and not really try to hit the cadence numbers and all that today. Just get a feel for the workout. Ummm, that didn't work out so well.  During the last sprint my HR hit 203 and I got a little freaked! I pedaled easy for the rest of the workout after that.

I think it is safe to say I need to do one of those tests to set my zones and all that but I can't find the instructions anywhere. If anyone can find the link or remind me what to do I'd appreciate it.

I think my HR seems high for the whole workout:

Avg HR: 158 bpm
Max HR: 203 bpm

My resting when I got on the bike was 75 bpm.

You can't expect to beat Cippo in a sprint with a heart rate of any less than 200 bpm, lol. In all serious though have you been training with heart rate long? Just wondering what you usual HR numbers are. I'm guessing a test would be a good way to set up your HR zones, I know if you search it on the site there is a good thread about doing a LTHR test. You will have yo do one for cycling and running as the two will differ quite a bit. As for your max HR I wouldn't get to freaked out about it. I know a girl that has a LTHR of 220. Some people just have a high max HR.

Ha ha ha ha, I thought they were joking! I was thinking seriously, you want me to sprint again?! I need to read these workouts a little more closely before I listen to you guys about which ones you "like" .

I tried training with HR last year but it didn't last long for various reasons or um..... excuses. So no, not long at all. I'm just happy I got my watch and everything to work correctly so I'm going to try to figure all this out again.

If you though the sprints are bad in LH, wait till you try Fight Club, by the end if they say attack one more time your ready to throw the tv out the window. But again, it's a lot of fun, lol.

Derek I haven't found any fun in doing any of these interval workouts lol. However like one of my friends told me intervals are like vegetables, you may not like them but they are good for you.

2014-01-09 7:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by bswcpa

WHAT is going on??     I haven't gotten notifications for eons so I checked the old forum and see I've missed a ton of posts and notice you all started a new group.  You may have been trying to get rid of me but I'm sorry to let you know  I FOUND YOU and I don't plan to let you go.   I may be even more sporadic in posting during tax season but I'm still claiming my spot as a member of the beloved Junkies.    Bio coming later.  

Brenda glad to see you checking in and claiming your spot. I'm pretty sure Dirk and the rest of us would have come looking for you had you not checked in here. Once a Junkie always a Junkie.

Edited by strikyr 2014-01-09 7:06 PM
2014-01-10 6:05 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Brenda....no way your going to loose us glad to see you found us!

Tonly lol on the veggie/ intervals

Dina good for you to push thru what sounds like some pretty hard riding!!!

So I got my pre- training bloodwork done and it turns out I am pretty anemic and I have to do a more in depth adrenal test no wonder I am feeling exhausted. I had hoped by now all would be good with these 2 things but nooooo. I am hoping if I can get my anemia in order my HR will come down during training even after reading Derek's post about some people's HR being high this always worries me, so I am a little afraid to push to hard during my runs, although the trainer pushes us during his w/o and it gets up to the 180s and I am fine with that..... I guess after all this time I think it should be lower during my runs.

Oh and we are having a heat wave 29 here this morning!!
2014-01-10 6:38 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I have been lurking the past few days but somewhat unable to post.  Of course we had the blizzard blow through this past weekend that caused minor issues at work.  Only a several circuits were out but the actual damages were very minimal.  The conductors were galloping and the phases were contacting each other and causing the circuits to lock out.  Once a line goes into this condition there's nothing that can be done.  You have to wait until some of the ice melts off or the winds slow.

After Monday I needed to go to Columbus Ohio to do some pre-assessments for potential new linemen we are hiring.  It was only 2 nights out of town and one full day of pre-assessing but the day was a long one.  The good news is that I found a solid candidate for my line crew.  He climbs like a monkey and was constantly active helping others throughout the day.  He will be getting a job offer very, very soon.

Others......

Dina,  Your HR sounds like a spike from a poor connection from your HR monitor.  Occasionally I will get something similar but there are a couple of factors that seem to point to the reason it occurs.  Sometimes, and more times than not, it happens when there is a bad connection due to little moisture/sweat to conduct the signal.  For this reason, especially in the cooler months, I will wet the monitor prior to use.  The other common reason is on the bike.  When I drop into the aero bars and squeeze my elbows together it creates a small gap that will most of the time knock the HR monitor out but other rimes it has caused a large spike.

Whatever the problem is I wouldn't get alarmed until you've begin to see something like that occur more frequently.  However, if you felt dizzy or like your heart gave you a fluttering sort of feeling you should stop your activity.  I am guessing that isn't what you felt and that thing were otherwise normal. 

Tony,  Enjoy the HM training!  That is still my favorite running distance to train for.  There's not a huge time commitment but it is still very much an endurance event, something I feel I have a bit of an advantage over a few other people.

You mentioned your recent bike ride felt a bit easier.  That could be a strong indication of the increase in fitness as you stated but maybe you should do another test to be sure you're using the correct FTP numbers.  It's likely you either tested a little easier than you could have or you had some fatigue built up that didn't allow you to test well.  The numbers I am using right now feel a little off some of the time and I feel it's because of the fatigue I carried into my last test.  I don't think the numbers are far off but it could impact the way I'm training.

Derek and Matt,  You two have me peeking into the Sufferfest workouts to see if I can handle these workouts.  One of these days I'll do one of them but I hate to pull out of my HIM focussed plan right now.  I suffer plenty through all of my workouts right now, I don't need to add anything harder or more abusive for another 8 weeks or so.

Brenda,  You know we're not ditching you!  You bring the smiles to this group.  Heck most of the time I feel your smiling face through your posts. 

New group?  We haven't had anyone bight yet so we'll see who jumps in.  I was out of town when I got the email notification that we were going live.  In the past the group has filled up so quickly that I was nervous about how to manage taking on new people.  This time around it appears I/we may not have to worry about it so much.

2014-01-10 9:38 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk I was kind of thinking the same about my zones and maybe I may need to do another test. They have actually increased over last year which is what I would have expected. The other thing is maybe I was a little too quick to pass judgement on my workout. Even though my HR wasn't as high as I might have expected it to be during the workout my legs felt like lead the following day lol so I know I pushed hard in the workout. I'm also thinking they may have just thrown me a softball for the first workout. I'll see how tonight goes as it looks like it is going to be a tougher interval session which I have to follow with a short run.

JoAnne I hope you can get your anemia under control so it doesn't affect your workouts. I had to laugh about the heatwave you are having. We are actually going to be in the 50's possibly near 60 degrees tomorrow. However it is supposed to rain today and tomorrow. I was hoping to hit the trails and MTN bike but I probably won't be able to until Sunday. It's supposed to be around 50 but windy, I'll take it lol.

I'm very surprised we've had no new members yet. Maybe there are just more groups open this year this time around. These groups used to fill up so quickly.
2014-01-10 10:07 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by pistuo

posted this in the main forums, but open to any advice or thoughts you guys have...

So I just got into tris a few years ago. Have a nice tri bike and rode it over 4,000 miles this year (including an IM). After my race, I decided it was time to add a roadie to the stable and picked up a nice all carbon Scott CR 1 Elite model on closeout at the end of the year. I got fit on it and have the same saddle as my tri bike. I've only been riding it about once a week and have got in 3 rides on it so far (all in the 40 mile range) and after each ride I am having pain in my lower back (that lasts about a week). I think some of it is soreness, but there is also some pain that feels like more than soreness.

Any advice?

Will, it's got to be postural. If you don't have this problem on your tri bike then I'm confident we can get rid of it on your road bike.
But I will need to see side photos of you riding that bike. It would also be helpful to have side photos of you on your tri bike to see the position there that is NOT bothering your back.

2014-01-10 10:33 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

NH
Originally posted by Jo63

Hey Dina you sounded like me with my ride today, my legs are a bit sore from yesterday and my ride was a little rough funny thing though the power meter glitched out and my max read 999 lol

Nice max power output!
2014-01-10 12:59 PM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Jo63 Brenda....no way your going to loose us glad to see you found us! Tonly lol on the veggie/ intervals Dina good for you to push thru what sounds like some pretty hard riding!!! So I got my pre- training bloodwork done and it turns out I am pretty anemic and I have to do a more in depth adrenal test no wonder I am feeling exhausted. I had hoped by now all would be good with these 2 things but nooooo. I am hoping if I can get my anemia in order my HR will come down during training even after reading Derek's post about some people's HR being high this always worries me, so I am a little afraid to push to hard during my runs, although the trainer pushes us during his w/o and it gets up to the 180s and I am fine with that..... I guess after all this time I think it should be lower during my runs. Oh and we are having a heat wave 29 here this morning!!

Glad you got the test done though so now you can try to get that issue worked out. What kind of changes will you have to make? Good luck!

2014-01-10 5:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Dirk, I've been following the base and build plans for a while and I'm planning on doing the HIM build next. I usually just swap out or add a SF workout in where I see fit. They are fun and I can usually use then as a gauge of if my FTP is up or down depending on if if can complete the workout or not. A local pro cyclist I train with pret much does 80% SF rides 4-5 times a week but he will turn down the intensity to 90% or so. I'm planing on doing the tour of Sufferlandia however I figure much of it will get at 90% intensity.Tony, I like the HM plan before the HIM, I am just starting a run build for a HM at the end of May and I am planning on doing Challenge St.Andrews the first week of July. Hopefully it works for the both of us, lol.Brenda, glad to see you found us.
2014-01-10 7:35 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Derek, I'm glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to try the tour of sufferlandria! That is going to be one painful week, hopefully I make it through the entire thing...

And since we are talking about bikes. I need some input on proper position for the bike shoes. I broke down and ordered to pair of shimano's and I Believe the fit came in pretty good. The fit around the ankle is snug and my toe is close to the end of the shoe. There seems to be plenty of foot room in the toe box which I prefer, I hate the feeling of my feet being squeezed. Any way, when I put the cleats on I positioned them as far back (towards the heel) as they would go, mostly because I think someone in the group mentioned this was the best spot. On Wednesday I had my 1st significant ride with them and really like how they felt. It seemed like I had more control of the bike and I was able to give a stronger pedal motion.

now for the issue, on Thursday after walking my normal routes at work I started to get a soreness in my foot. The soreness in my right foot and is located on the bottom outside edge of my foot, basically halfway down my foot in the meaty section. When I sit down and take weight off of it all sorenes goes away, but walk for a short time and it feels like I am walking on a golf ball. Today showed some improvement but not a lot, but I was able to get a 2 mile run in with only minimal discomfort. Once i finished my run i took a ball and massaged the bottom of my foot, this felt amazing and did wonders but I am guessing if I walked around much the discomfort would've come back. I initially thought it may have been a running issue, but I have been decreasing my milage this week for an upcoming race. So my next thought was the bike shoes and new pedals, prior to these I have been using cages so a pretty big change to the pressure points. My thought is that maybe I should move the cleat forward some to take pressure off my arch and soft tissue, especially along the side of my foot. I also thought that maybe some inserts that would soften the shoe maybe be an option

any thoughts or suggestions?

2014-01-11 7:22 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Bronze member

Matt maybe there is something that could help you in either of these articles?

http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/cleats.html

http://sheldonbrown.com/shoe-pedal.html

Or really I would go to a bike shop and have them check it out. Good luck, hope the foot pain clears up quickly for you!

2014-01-11 9:26 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Matt hopefully it's just that you used a few muscles in your foot that you weren't used to using, due to the new shoes. I know I've switched running shoes and have had this happen a few times, or if I haven't played hockey in a while I will get it from my skates. Usually goes away in a few days. Hopefully that's all it is.
2014-01-11 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt I'm probably not going to be alot of help but a good bike shop definitely can hook you up like Dina said or it could be what Derek is saying where it may just take a little time to get used to the setup going from the cages to the new shoes, cleats and pedals. If this continues to be persisent maybe you need to make an adjustment on the cleat on the right shoe.

Edited by strikyr 2014-01-11 10:23 AM
2014-01-11 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I got another interval workout on the trainer last night and now I'm thinking the first workout was a softball. Although may HR doesn't seem as high as it should be for the workout I can say I am definitely feeling the burn in my legs and the usual discomfort overall that you get from these workouts so I think my power zones are ok. I need to compare my HR data from last season to this season. I'm curious to see if there is a difference. I will say I am definitely not laboring with my cardio so I think that's just the fact that I'm in better shape this year. We'll see last night was tough an 1:05 on the bike and then a 30 minute run on the treadmill and yeah my legs are feeling like lead. I have a 45 minute run on the schedule today and I'm going to MTN bike tomorrow since it's raining here again today.
2014-01-11 10:53 AM

User image

NH
Matt, I can't help a lot with the foot issue, but there are a bunch of things to be aware of as you move the cleats back. It is true that the further back you place the cleats the more easy it is to activate the larger muscles in the pedal stroke, including the glutes. However, you have to be sure your foot/ankle/knees are in a natural position when clipped in, speaking from a directional perspective. If you were to unclip and naturally place your foot down on the pedals at about the same front/back position, is that the same rotational position your feet are in when they are clipped in? That's the method which has worked for me, if my explanation makes sense. Essentially, you don''t want to fight against your bone structure by forcing stress on your joints. Inserts are a hot topic - post an insert question on the main forum and you'll get a page count similar to a flip turn discussion. I know plenty of people who have had great luck using inserts. On the bike, shims or wedges are common for those of us with canter problems. I use them after my fitting and it made a huge difference in my knee/ankle/foot comfort on long rides.

Tony, heart rate can be tricky depending on the length of intervals. I think you're right in using your leg feeling and in general RPE as a good guide, unless the intervals are fairly long.

I'll put some food for though out there after talking with some roadies around here who are good but not pros (Cat2s). Their take was SF type Vo2 MAx intervals are an absolute must in the roadie world where surges are the differentiator, but not as critical for time trialing. That said, they agreed that using these types of workouts makes a lot of sense for even triathletes in the winter.
2014-01-11 4:24 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - OPEN

WHEN CAN YOU START: Now

Personal Bio:

USERNAME:
jfought  Name: Jayne

STORY: My mom died of cancer 4 years ago and I realized I had better get my a$$ off the couch and find the athlete inside myself that had been there when I was younger.  It was time to start challenging myself and living life on my own terms.  I had always had difficulty running because of "shin splints".  What I found out was it wasn't really shin splints at all, what I had was called Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome.  Check out the link on my training blog page if you want the details.  November 2010, I had surgery on both legs and have been running relatively pain free since.  I started out with weight training and cycling, but started having some knee pain.  Someone suggested I try swimming.  I didn't know how to swim, but that was just another challenge.  I went to the pool, watched a lot of YouTube videos, and taught myself how to swim.  Then after the surgery on my legs, I began to run.  Well, I wasn't particularly good at any individual sport, so why not try triathlon.  That was where it started.  I started training, lost 35 pounds and felt better than I ever had.  I've done 6 sprints, 2 olys, and 6-50k ultramarathon trail races.

FAMILY STATUS: I am 47, newly divorced and dating a really awesome triathlete named Bruce.  I have two children, Ben (26) and Samantha (23). 

JOB: I've been teaching 8th grade US History for the past 15 years.

CURRENT TRAINING: Trying to maintain some sort of base for now and will start gearing up more around the beginning of March.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  So far, I've registered for the Nantahala Hilly Half Marathon trail race this April in North Carolina.  It has 4,500 ft of elevations change that just might kill me.  I've also registered for my first 70.3 at Lake Logan, North Carolina in August!  Anybody know where you can hill train in Indiana

LAST SEASONS RACES:  Last year was a transition year for me personally.  When my husband and I separated, I moved out of my house into a temporary apartment, and have moved 3 more times since then.  I'm still not settled and won't be until this summer.  Last year ended up being a running year for me.  I did a lot of trail running, and not a single triathlon.  Last year I completed 4, 50K trail races and a few shorter races.  It was a good year, but a difficult year to do any consistent training. 

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES: Just getting off the couch and challenging myself to become an endurance athlete has been my biggest success.  I hadn't run more than a mile in my life until a few years ago and I taught myself to swim.  I can do ANYTHING because I am a bad !  LOL

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose about 10 pounds.  It would really help with the wear and tear on my body.  When you get a little older, you have to train smart and take these things into consideration ;-)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I love to do what I can to motivate and encourage others.  I also have a good sense of humor and like to have fun. 

NOTE:  My first trail race was a relay with none other than your very own Asphalt Junkie himself, Dirk.  I've also raced with one of the most inspiring women in the sport of triathlon, the one and only biggest smiling face in the sport!!  bswcpa "Brenda"!!!!! 

2014-01-11 4:58 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jayne welcome aboard! It sounds like you already know Dirk and Brenda as you probably already know they are awesome people. I know I'm going to sound a little biased but this is really the best group on BT hands down. You're story is very inspiring and you'll find this really is an awesome group of people so you've come to the right place for support and motivation. I look forward to gettting to know you better as I'm sure all the Junkies will as well.

Warren thanks and yes you are right about HR, I'm just curious about that though I am really thinking I've made big gains over last year and want to see what the difference is. I can tell you after a week of going throug the EN outseason program it's no joke. Work is definitely work and I think if I get through it I'll be much improved when I started the IM training plan.

So after today's workout I'm convinced I really can run faster. I actually was able to run a faster pace than what the workout called for however it's not easy trying to figure out what your pace is on the treadmill during these workouts. I don't have an interval option on my treadmill and it's kinda hard to do the math while trying to follow the workout. However I definitely can push myself harder than I though I could and was able to finish my workout in good shape. This old man definitely can run faster than he thought he could. I'm feeling like I can make some gains in my speed running this year and I will need to if I want to hit the magic number of 13. It's not enough to finish IMMT this year I have my eye on doing it in 13 hours so I need to make up 2 hours and running faster has to be a part of that in order to hit the goal.
2014-01-11 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Welcome Jayne! Sounds like you have a couple of challenging events scheduled

Matt sorry to hear about your feet, hopefully it is just the adjustment of new shoes.

Ughhh did another ride today, I remebred to tighten everything and I still ended up with a max power of 996 I am not sure what I have hooked up wrong I will go over the bike tomorrow and see if I can find the problem I worked really hard and was excited to see what the numbers were, oh well. There's always next time
2014-01-11 5:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Welcome Jayne! Glad you decided to join the group.
2014-01-11 5:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Welcome Jayne, as Tony stated you found one of the best groups on BT.  I also have similar problems with hill training, where I am at in Ohio the biggest hills are more of a speed bump.  So I find the best one possible and then do repeats, 1st set several markers going up the bump.  Then run to the 1st marker and back down, then the 2nd marker and back down.  Repeat until you are at the top and a 100ft long bump becomes a mountain!

Warren, I understand what you are saying about the foot placement and this may be a factor.  I am somewhat pigeon footed and when I run I tend to roll out off the outside of my foot.  My bike shoes are currently straight so the motion is more off the big toe which may be causing the issue.  I am also still on the fence though as to the source of the problem.  Doing a little internet MD over the past few days an the source may be more of an ankle issue, which brings me to todays events.

Against better judgement I decided to go forward with the trail race today, and all in all it wasn't terrible.  They did remove the creek crossing which was disappointing, but they said something about it looking like a raging river.  The course itself was a complete mess, with the change it became a 2 lap course about 3.75 each lap.  The mud was crazy thick on the 1st lap and the 2nd lap was just a mess.  Slipping, sliding going all over the place really a lot of fun but difficult.  During the run my foot did not feel terrible, occasionally I would notice it but nothing major.  I also had a few times where I could feel stress on my ankle which made think the foot issue may be from the trail run I did last Sunday, but we will see.  total time for the 7.5 miles was just shy of 1:20 at a 10:31 pace.  I know super slow, but I had to save my energy for Sunday so I can do it all over again.

2014-01-11 9:05 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Originally posted by mambos

Welcome Jayne, as Tony stated you found one of the best groups on BT.  I also have similar problems with hill training, where I am at in Ohio the biggest hills are more of a speed bump.  So I find the best one possible and then do repeats, 1st set several markers going up the bump.  Then run to the 1st marker and back down, then the 2nd marker and back down.  Repeat until you are at the top and a 100ft long bump becomes a mountain!

Warren, I understand what you are saying about the foot placement and this may be a factor.  I am somewhat pigeon footed and when I run I tend to roll out off the outside of my foot.  My bike shoes are currently straight so the motion is more off the big toe which may be causing the issue.  I am also still on the fence though as to the source of the problem.  Doing a little internet MD over the past few days an the source may be more of an ankle issue, which brings me to todays events.

Against better judgement I decided to go forward with the trail race today, and all in all it wasn't terrible.  They did remove the creek crossing which was disappointing, but they said something about it looking like a raging river.  The course itself was a complete mess, with the change it became a 2 lap course about 3.75 each lap.  The mud was crazy thick on the 1st lap and the 2nd lap was just a mess.  Slipping, sliding going all over the place really a lot of fun but difficult.  During the run my foot did not feel terrible, occasionally I would notice it but nothing major.  I also had a few times where I could feel stress on my ankle which made think the foot issue may be from the trail run I did last Sunday, but we will see.  total time for the 7.5 miles was just shy of 1:20 at a 10:31 pace.  I know super slow, but I had to save my energy for Sunday so I can do it all over again.

That's not at all slow for a muddy trail run.  Mud is worse than anything else.....so hard on all of your stabilizers.  Congrats on a good race.

2014-01-12 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by mambos Derek, I'm glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to try the tour of sufferlandria! That is going to be one painful week, hopefully I make it through the entire thing... And since we are talking about bikes. I need some input on proper position for the bike shoes. I broke down and ordered to pair of shimano's and I Believe the fit came in pretty good. The fit around the ankle is snug and my toe is close to the end of the shoe. There seems to be plenty of foot room in the toe box which I prefer, I hate the feeling of my feet being squeezed. Any way, when I put the cleats on I positioned them as far back (towards the heel) as they would go, mostly because I think someone in the group mentioned this was the best spot. On Wednesday I had my 1st significant ride with them and really like how they felt. It seemed like I had more control of the bike and I was able to give a stronger pedal motion. now for the issue, on Thursday after walking my normal routes at work I started to get a soreness in my foot. The soreness in my right foot and is located on the bottom outside edge of my foot, basically halfway down my foot in the meaty section. When I sit down and take weight off of it all sorenes goes away, but walk for a short time and it feels like I am walking on a golf ball. Today showed some improvement but not a lot, but I was able to get a 2 mile run in with only minimal discomfort. Once i finished my run i took a ball and massaged the bottom of my foot, this felt amazing and did wonders but I am guessing if I walked around much the discomfort would've come back. I initially thought it may have been a running issue, but I have been decreasing my milage this week for an upcoming race. So my next thought was the bike shoes and new pedals, prior to these I have been using cages so a pretty big change to the pressure points. My thought is that maybe I should move the cleat forward some to take pressure off my arch and soft tissue, especially along the side of my foot. I also thought that maybe some inserts that would soften the shoe maybe be an option any thoughts or suggestions?

Warren has hit a very good point when discussing the rotational issues with your foot related to pedal/cleat position.  If you can, use a full length mirror the next ride and place it directly in front of you.  You'll need to pedal slowly to be able to see your feet and ankles.  As you pedal look through the mirror to see if you're able to see where your ankle is positioned related to the centerline of your foot and your knee.  Normally you should have everything centered on a line so that there is no rotational stress occurring at these joints.  (Normally, because people that are pigeon toed or have other forms  of natural misalignments may need a slightly different adjustment.)  The best position you can be in will keep everything, including your hip joints, in alignment with your knees and ankles.

A better option to attempting to view this yourself would be to use some type of video recording to check these angles.  As you slow your pedaling down you are likely to inadvertently change the mechanics of the way you normally ride.  Video recording would be more ideal because you can pedal at a more natural cadence and (hopefully) see the tracking better after slowing the video down.  You may even post the video here to allow us to assess as well.

Now about your foot.  I doubt that you have a problem with your foot that developed over one ride ride due to improper pedal placement.  I believe that in order to have had that occur you would have had some fairly significant issue during the ride that could have caused you to stop the ride altogether.  I would ask you to reexamine how your foot feels in the shoe at the point of the pain.  It sounds to me there's a possibility the shoe could be a shade narrow at that particular point in the shoe fit.  Make sure you give the riding a few more chances before making any determinations.  It could simply be the change from your riding position in cages to clipless will take s bit of time.

Honestly I feel the foot issue is less likely related to riding and more to running.

Edited by DirkP 2014-01-12 6:57 AM
2014-01-12 7:17 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by jfought

WHEN CAN YOU START: Now

Personal Bio:

USERNAME:
jfought  Name: Jayne

STORY: My mom died of cancer 4 years ago

FAMILY STATUS: I am 47, newly divorced 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  So far, I've registered for the Nantahala Hilly Half Marathon trail race this April in North Carolina.  It has 4,500 ft of elevations change that just might kill me.  I've also registered for my first 70.3 at Lake Logan, North Carolina in August!  Anybody know where you can hill train in Indiana

LAST SEASONS RACES:   Last year I completed 4, 50K trail races and a few shorter races. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose about 10 pounds. 

NOTE:  My first trail race was a relay with none other than your very own Asphalt Junkie himself, Dirk.  I've also raced with one of the most inspiring women in the sport of triathlon, the one and only biggest smiling face in the sport!!  bswcpa "Brenda"!!!!! 

I left above things I didn't know.

Welcome to the group!  We will have a great session with you involved!

Running the Huff relay a few years ago with you was awesome!  That was the year of epic water and equally epic shivering when I came out of the water and finished my leg of the relay.  I shook for 2-3 hours while standing in front of a pool watching my daughter swim following that race.

2014-01-12 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by Jo63 Ughhh did another ride today, I remebred to tighten everything and I still ended up with a max power of 996 I am not sure what I have hooked up wrong I will go over the bike tomorrow and see if I can find the problem I worked really hard and was excited to see what the numbers were, oh well. There's always next time

I don't know much about the KK computer but does it require re-calculating occasionally?  Power meters require this before every ride (I think) and only take a few seconds.  You might try checking all of the other electrical connection (if not wireless) as well, batteries, etc.

2014-01-12 8:14 AM

User image

Welcome, JAYNE!!   I got the biggest smile seeing your name pop up!   You're too kind in what you said but I got NOTHING on you.   I'll not forget your unbelievable kindness at Potato Creek - getting me to the finish line and staying with me until I was able to stand.   I called you an angel in my race report and that's how I think of you now......Angel Jayne!        You obviously love the beautiful state of North Carolina and I'm impressed with you doing your first 70.3 there.  I'll be looking for hills too, so I'll let you know if I find any- that would be fun to do some training together.    Congratulations on completing all your 50K's last year - 4 of them -  wow!   While I'm thinking of it - since you're on Facebook - you may want to join the Asphalt Junkie page and then everyone that's on there can friend you too.  So far I think DEREK is the only one not on FB. (let's get with it, Derek!   Any ways, again, welcome to the Junkies, Jayne!   You've joined a great group of wonderful folks and I know you'll fit right in. 

Thinking of MATT this morn out on the trails doing his 12 miler.   Go Matt Go!!  Hope your foot cooperates and doesn't give you pain. Will look forward to hearing how it went.  

Have a blessed Sunday everyone!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.