BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-05-02 8:29 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED
Matt good to see you checking. It sounds like you had a another good run an that Marathon Relay and a great hills ride. It sounds like you're right on trac with your bike and run. I hear you on the weight loss thing as well. I have been stuck in the 170-173 range for like forever. I've just been trying to get back the racing weight range 167-170 and it seems when I've made an effort to do that I've had not had any luck but lately with volume going up the weight is starting to come back down. I finally broke 170 and hope to stay down there for the remainder of the IM training.

I took the last days off from training. I was just totally worn out and it was like 22 days since my last off day. I think the increase in volume with more intensity this year finally caught up to me. I was planning an off day on Saturday but I couldn't wait so I took Wednesday off and still felt lousy yesterday so I bagged my workouts and took another day off. I feel better and I think it should help me for this weekend.

So the plan for today is to get a long bike in with my friend Wynn. I took the day off from work so I'm hoping to get out there and ride for 3 or 4 hours. Knowing Wynn he probably has something good planned for this ride and I do want to get back to work after the two unplanned rest days. I'll probably do a short run tomorrow and then Sunday I have the Half Marathon trail run in Montauk at Hither Hills park.

I've MTN biked the trails there so I am familiar with the course somewhat. The first 6 miles are very hilly and there will be sandy portions where we are close to if not right above the beach near the LI Sound. I've got no real goals for this race other then to do what I've been doing the last month or so running the trails, get a good solid run workout in. I'm figuring if I have a good run I should be in the 2:00 to 2:20 ish time range. Other then that it's all about a good workout and having fun on Sunday.

2014-05-04 6:54 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by wbayek
Originally posted by JeffY I am very discouraged right now. I've joined the junkie injury parade. Something pretty severe has happened to my left shoulder over the past few days to the point I can't raise it up without significant pain. The Bonefrog obstacle race is only 2 weeks out, so if it doesn't significantly improve by then I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I see my ART guy tomorrow, so hopefully he can fix me up.

I am inclined to feel like Jeff does.  If there was no traumatic injury it would seem likely that you had overdone it at the gym or slept on it wrong recently.  I'm sure you've done something similar in the past and it passed soon enough.  My guess is that you'll be fine for Bonefrog.

2014-05-04 7:03 AM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by JeffY
Originally posted by wbayek
Originally posted by strikyr Warren sorry to hear about the shoulder. I hope you are feeling better and are able to participate in the bonefrog race. You've been training very hard for that I'd hate for you to miss that one. I've also been forgoing some calories on the indoor workouts using water but I can't say I've gone 4 hours with that strategy. I don't think I'd make through that long a workout without a few calories.
Thanks Tony. It would be a major downer to miss the bonefrog. On the plus side they refund your money if you have a medical reason (with doc note) or let you transfer to next year, which I will probably do. The weird thing is the shoulder started hurting after I woke up a few days ago. Yeah, yeah, cue the old man jokes! As far the long ride, I wouldn't recommend going that long without calories really, but I guess I still have a pretty good hump to draw energy from!
Since it came on suddenly and without any particular trauma to point to, the odds are pretty good that it will subside quickly. Give it a few days and you might be just fine. Calories...I think that you have proven that your body can effectively switch to fat for fuel simply by accomplishing 4 hours without calories. That's great. I think that those folks who are ultra vigilant to feed their bodies during ALL of their workouts can lose the ability to seemlessly switch to fat for fuel. I say this because it's actually a very normal phenomenon to see sedentary Americans start an exercise program and they pass out because their bodies literally cannot use stored fuel and their blood sugar crashes. And the only people I've seen bonk are those people who haven't been in the fat burning zone before. (about an hour of endurance exercise without glycogen intake). But come time for the long races, you want to be adept at getting calories while racing, so doing it in workouts is good practice. On the pedal stroke topic: I don't know how much I've advocated for this publically, but I have been of the opinion for a while now that pulling up, pushing forward, and pulling back are less EFFICIENT. That means they might be a great way to increase your speed when sprinting momentarily, but don't have a place in your 'regular' pedal stroke which is done for hours on end (or even just 30+ minutes in a sprint tri). Those muscles are designed for 'recovery' of the leg during walking and running motions and even though they are smaller muscles, that doesn't mean they use less O2 per watt of power than the big mover muscles. I think it's best to simply push down. Although I do try to lift the weight of my leg itself off the crank on the upstroke. If for no other reason than I have a habit when daydreaming, of keeping downward force on the pedal all the way around. And I think that many of us probably do....so we can learn better pedaling technique in so far as we can remove parasitic power loss that we are applying to ourselves. But I don't think this should end our discussion of pedaling techique. I will bring up another sub-topic soon.

On the subject of caloric intake during rides, I gave an unplanned attempt to keep my calories low during yesterday's long ride.  I had a bottle with 150 calories and had some dried fruit spread over 2:45.  The only trouble was that I was above threshold for the final 22 minutes of the ride and I was beginning to crash pretty hard.  I began to take the remaining minutes of the ride in 2 minute increments to chunk the effort down into achievable goals and telling myself "I can go for another 2 minutes."  This strategy worked but I was cooked and all I was able to think about was food.  After getting off the bike I had to change clothes and get off to help Lis clean up after Niki's bridal shower, so I made a protein shake and bounded off.

Pedal stroke is something I have not done any type of study work on.  I have very little input here other than it make sense to me that there would be dead spots.  At the top, just before the apex of the crank, maybe 10-10:30, seems to be where I go dead.  I would suppose that a persons cadence would also somewhat dictate where the dead spot would occur.  Riders with a faster cadence would seem to have a little more trouble getting over the top while powering through than those with a lower cadence.  I am only applying what would seem logical since it would harder to complete a revolution while applying power in 360 degrees with faster cadences than slower.  And I ride between 90-92 most of my rides but I am actually trying to transition down to high 80's right now.

I have found that when sprinting r climbing that i can get a little more power/speed output when I try to pedal complete circles, but I cannot sustain that for entire rides.  It develops a little more need for oxygen and my muscles fatigue more quickly when using this technique.

2014-05-04 6:57 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Well it feels like the race season finally began for me today. I ran my trail run HM this morning and I had a blast doing. I wasn't really sure how well I would do. I took the day off from work on Friday and did a long ride with my friends Wynn and Derric. We headed east and looped back on the north fork of LI out to a lighthouse called Horton's. Going out was great with the wind at our back we were flying along but on the way back OMG the wind was absolutely brutal. It didn't matter if we headed north and then back south to head back west it seemed we were riding in a headwind for the entire ride. I think I got a little over 66 miles in on Friday and it was the toughest outdoor ride I did this season. My legs were on fire so when I got up and Saturday and felt as sore as I did I said forget the run today and take a rest day so I can run tomorrow at the HM.

That seemed to be sound advice and I actually listened to myself and followed it. It wound up being a beautiful day a little on the windy side though but nice enough and cool enough for running. The Hither Hill trails are no joke, what a tough and challenging course! The first few miles you're pretty much running up and down hill. I think I started a little too fast but everybody was running too fast. The field was very small as well I think maybe 37 runners total but it was a fast field of folks. People were flying out there. All I wanted to do was get in a very hard effort to make up for my lack of training this week and to see how far I've come with the EN outseason program.

The first 2.5 miles went pretty well it was a lot of up and down. I caught a runner who was a ahead of me running a really good pace so for the next 8 miles I just paced off of her. I knew she was faster than me so I figured it would be a waste to pass her and then slow her down or burn all my matches trying to stay ahead. I was right she was faster than I was and it was perfect for me because she kept me honest the whole race. Had she not been there I may have slacked off my pace instead she really pushed me for the entire race.

From mile 2.5 to 10 I just followed her. There are some steep up hills and some steep down hills as part of the course is through the black diamond MTN trails. There was also some wide stretches where I was able to hammer some and get some decent work in. I figured with 3 days off from training I better push hard because I should be rested. The toughest part of the run was when we were running above the dunes over looking the LI sound and the Atlantic ocean that was awesome but running in sand uphill was not. I was definitely working very hard and pushing hard here to keep up. We actually caught my friend Karl about that point and the woman passed him but I wasn't pushing any harder and since there were like 2 miles to go they both picked up there pace so I was just trying to hang on and stay with them.

Those last two miles take you back out over the dunes and there are a lot of up hills here. I was totally smoked by mile 11. The last two miles I was praying I'd do anything just to make it to the finish. I didn't slow down and the HR was pegged at that point. The organizers are definitely not very forthcoming about the race in regards to the terrain. They say the first 6 miles are hilly and then it flattens out, that is not entirely true. There are hills throughout the entire course.

When you get to the end you have to go uphill and around a bend then down hill in the sand and run down the beach where you go around a dirt road where it is a wide open grass area near the parking lot to the finish. You have the ocean on your left and the open field on your right and you're running in sand for a good part of that. Going down the beach was the worst part of the finish, I'm hammering a long feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere finally I make it to the harder packed sand with my friend Karl ahead and the woman ahead of him. My friend Wynn is yelling at me telling me I could catch them. I had no chance of catching them but when you're racing you think you can catch them so I'm in an all out sprint and so are they. I'm not sure what I was thinking there but it felt so good to finish strong there right behind those guys.

I have to say this is a great little race. It's one of those hidden gems here on LI, very well organized, very well supported and the trails were very well marked. At no point did I feel like I didn't know which way to go. No major swag at this race, we actually got a t-shirt for another event that these guys host and I don't think anyone cared about that. I have to say this is an awesome race. I had a lot of fun doing this race and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I'll be back for sure next year.

Overall I think I was 29 out of 37 and my overall time was a 2:14:19. I have to check the official time I know it was 2:14 something for sure. So I'm pretty happy I came in right about where I thought I could. I don't think I could have done any better than I did today. The slowest mile was mile 4 at an 11:31 the fastest was the last at a 9:21. I think my pace was like a 10:18 for me this is pretty awesome considering it was a trail run. I'm totally fried and hope I have the energy to swim tomorrow.
2014-05-04 11:25 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
I think one of the most unnoticed words in Hebrews 12 is the word "us"... the Scripture says "let us run with perseverance the race marked out"... We were never meant to run the "race" alone. We need people to help us and encourage us and to even race alongside us. I've heard this Scripture preached with the marathon analogy, which is not bad... but I think it's more appropriate to relate it to a relay where we are racing with someone (not alone).
Anyway, just one of the reasons I like our group...
2014-05-04 11:44 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Well, I did the GASP (Great Austin to Shiner Pedal) 100 mile ride Saturday. Here's the basic report:
-Point to Point ride from Austin to Shiner. Rolling hills (not quite as big as E Texas). 10-20mph headwind/crosswind all the way!
-First 12 minutes, we rode easy with all the Longview group (which caused us to fall behind faster riders and therefore miss those pace lines)
-Then 3 of us broke away and gave a hard effort all the way to mile 80 (averaging 20.5 at that point). I had given quite a few very hard efforts. My friends were attacking hills & one of the had his tri bike and was pulling in aero and I was having to give full effort to hang on to him in that wind. There were also a few times where some guys joined our pace line and then got dropped (with me behind them) and so I had to pop out and catch the group.
-At mile 90, my legs were at their limit and the last 10 miles were a steady uphill climb on open plains with lots of wind. On the few down hills, the wind was so strong that I could not coast without being slowed. I saw my average go from 20.2 to 19.2 over that last 10 miles (riding 14mph most of it).

Overall, still very satisfied with this ride. If I could go back, I would either leave our friends sooner and get more drafting off the groups our pace OR take my stinking tri bike... would have been nice to get in aero during the hand full of totally nasty headwinds we got into.

2014-05-05 4:46 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Tony,  It sounds like you had a great time at your race.  Your strategy to sit behind someone a little faster and pace was probably a good strategy to make sure you pressed yourself to the limit.  I was used as a pacesetter last year during a race but didn't know it until after the race was over.  I found out when I messaged her on facebook after learning she had won her AG at the 70.3 Ironman in Muncie.  Anyway, a great tactical advantage can be to use a person ahead to pace or pass and it looks like you pulled off another great ace because of it.

Good job!!

Will,  Maybe that's why the post from John quoting Hebrews 12 was so significant to me the other day.  I was at a bit of a low spot because my knee had been giving me some issues and seeing the support of those within the group became a bit of a light.

Great ride too!  I've had my share of windy rides lately too.  I've been outside for 3 rides so far and all of them have been in windy or very windy conditions, but because of riding with strong groups I've been able to hold really strong averages.  The rest of my rides have been on the trainer so I can have a specific focus and use the power numbers as training factors more closely aligned with my targets.

2014-05-05 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by jenbmosley

IRONMAN TRAINING QUESTION

Need bike training advice.... leading up to the Half Iron distance, I logged a 20 mile ride, 30 mile, and 50 mile ride each week (most were done on a stationary bike at the gym during the last 6 weeks of training. This is a rough guideline of what I was doing.

I am planning on using the Free Beginner Full Ironman Training Plan -

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=33&memberlevel=1

However, the bike workouts start at 1-1.5 hr workouts for the first few weeks. Most of my cycling workouts over the past 2 months have ranged from 2 hrs to 4.5 hours. Should I drop my training down this much or maintain in some way where I am at? I know it will pick right back up in about a month.

I am somewhat of a volume guy.  I love training volume!!  But volume at an early stage is not necessary to increase your fitness and develop the speed you would like to have for your Ironman.  I suggest for sanity sake and family time that you go ahead and follow the time requirements of the BT plan but have a HARD training focus during these bike sessions.  Doing interval work of varying length and intensities will develop a stronger cardio system and produce a higher VO2 max that can pay off during your long rides later in your training.  

The interval work that can be done are as short as 1 minute intervals at an extremely high intensity (120%-130% RPE) with short 1 minute recoveries, 4-5 minutes at very high (100% RPE) and equal recovery.  There are other way to mix in hard riding that will increase your fitness that we can discuss later if you like.  And there should be a rotation of the above listed rides as well as some other mixed intervals and long intervals with shorter rests as well.  And you should also do one long ride a week in an endurance zone to allow those adaptations too.

But just to reiterate (and add one more point), time with your young family is more important than training for this race.  Training for an Ironman is a long duration affair of 4-6 months and time later will get very long.  In the interest of making sure you keep your training volume from being over the top all of the overall training block until you reach Ironman, I suggest you allow the time to drop back and work on harder cycling and maintain your family time for as  long as you can before the days get long............

........Family first.

Thank you Dirk and Tony. I am going to to stick with the scaled back training and still keep one long ride around where I am currently at. I plan on sticking with your advice for the shorter rides.

2014-05-05 4:52 PM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Feliz Cinco de Mayo Junkies!

Hope you all had a great training weekend. I ran a 5k on Friday night and ran my fastest time to date - 24:45. I would not have pushed it if it wasn't for that lady tring to pass me. Woohoo! Perhaps I should not have pushed it so hard 1 week post HIM. I noticed a little pain in my shin on this morning's 4 mile run (shin splint perhaps). Time to ease up a little, I have battled through shin splints many times before.

2014-05-05 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by pistuoWell, I did the GASP (Great Austin to Shiner Pedal) 100 mile ride Saturday. Here's the basic report:-Point to Point ride from Austin to Shiner. Rolling hills (not quite as big as E Texas). 10-20mph headwind/crosswind all the way!-First 12 minutes, we rode easy with all the Longview group (which caused us to fall behind faster riders and therefore miss those pace lines)-Then 3 of us broke away and gave a hard effort all the way to mile 80 (averaging 20.5 at that point). I had given quite a few very hard efforts. My friends were attacking hills & one of the had his tri bike and was pulling in aero and I was having to give full effort to hang on to him in that wind. There were also a few times where some guys joined our pace line and then got dropped (with me behind them) and so I had to pop out and catch the group. -At mile 90, my legs were at their limit and the last 10 miles were a steady uphill climb on open plains with lots of wind. On the few down hills, the wind was so strong that I could not coast without being slowed. I saw my average go from 20.2 to 19.2 over that last 10 miles (riding 14mph most of it).Overall, still very satisfied with this ride. If I could go back, I would either leave our friends sooner and get more drafting off the groups our pace OR take my stinking tri bike... would have been nice to get in aero during the hand full of totally nasty headwinds we got into.
great ride, I find wind to be one of the most demoralizing things to deal with on the bike. Hills you can see coming and you can see the top of them so you now there is end. But wind is relentless and just keeps fighting you until your toast! Again great effort for such a long ride.
2014-05-05 7:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Hope you all had a great training weekend. I ran a 5k on Friday night and ran my fastest time to date - 24:45. I would not have pushed it if it wasn't for that lady tring to pass me. Woohoo! Perhaps I should not have pushed it so hard 1 week post HIM. I noticed a little pain in my shin on this morning's 4 mile run (shin splint perhaps). Time to ease up a little, I have battled through shin splints many times before.

woohoo! PR's are always fun to come by

2014-05-05 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by mambos

Originally posted by pistuoWell, I did the GASP (Great Austin to Shiner Pedal) 100 mile ride Saturday. Here's the basic report:-Point to Point ride from Austin to Shiner. Rolling hills (not quite as big as E Texas). 10-20mph headwind/crosswind all the way!-First 12 minutes, we rode easy with all the Longview group (which caused us to fall behind faster riders and therefore miss those pace lines)-Then 3 of us broke away and gave a hard effort all the way to mile 80 (averaging 20.5 at that point). I had given quite a few very hard efforts. My friends were attacking hills & one of the had his tri bike and was pulling in aero and I was having to give full effort to hang on to him in that wind. There were also a few times where some guys joined our pace line and then got dropped (with me behind them) and so I had to pop out and catch the group. -At mile 90, my legs were at their limit and the last 10 miles were a steady uphill climb on open plains with lots of wind. On the few down hills, the wind was so strong that I could not coast without being slowed. I saw my average go from 20.2 to 19.2 over that last 10 miles (riding 14mph most of it).Overall, still very satisfied with this ride. If I could go back, I would either leave our friends sooner and get more drafting off the groups our pace OR take my stinking tri bike... would have been nice to get in aero during the hand full of totally nasty headwinds we got into.
great ride, I find wind to be one of the most demoralizing things to deal with on the bike. Hills you can see coming and you can see the top of them so you now there is end. But wind is relentless and just keeps fighting you until your toast! Again great effort for such a long ride.

Will x2 on that ride man, great ride. You are really stepping it up on the bike and become a force with rides like that. I totally agree with Matt in regards to the wind. Demoralizing is probably the best word you can find to describe that when it happens. It seems like many of us have experienced this lately. On the one hand it is free resistence and it does make you a stronger rider IMO but let's be honest it really sucks when you are out there for hours killing yourself on ride into the wind. Again nice solid effort.
2014-05-05 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Congrats Jenn on the PR and it looks like your race season is off to a great start.
2014-05-05 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4919947

User image

NH
Jenn, awesome race - pr a week after a HIM??? Outstanding!

Wind is tough mentally from a speed perspective. But I'll say that the power meter has completely changed how I handle training rides now. I actually don't even have speed as a field on my Garmin anymore.
2014-05-06 12:31 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Jenn, congrats on that PR... I predict a sub 24 min 5K in your near future
2014-05-06 6:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

Wow sounds like everyone is putting up some good times.  Glad to hear everyone has been doing so well. 

Just came off my biggest week of running ever.  Hit 52km.  That's the first time Ive ever gone over 50,  so I'm pretty happy with where my running is two weeks out from my HM.  Swimming is starting to come around.  Glad I still have 8 weeks before the HIM so I can get in some more pool time and hopefully a few good OWS.  Biking has been average but getting there.  Missed my long ride last week as I unfortunately had to travel to my grandfathers funeral.  I think the extra bit of time off the bike might do my legs some good as they have been feeling a little fried lately.   I have done one 100k ride so far and really tried to keep my HR consistent in upper Zone 2.  Im not used to trying to pace myself up the hills as I usually go a lot harder up them and then coast down the other side however I felt much better at the end of the ride and even averaged about the same pace.  I averaged 32 km/h so just under 20mph.  Hopefully in warmer weather and with a pile of aero gear I should be able to average over 33km/h for the 90km and the HIM and still have a solid run. 

Hope everyone keeps up with the solid training and Dirk I hope your knee gets back too 100% soon.

2014-05-06 1:19 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Nice job Derek!

Whoever brought up the WIND.... I HATE wind too. Nothing kills me on a ride more than fighting against wind.

2014-05-06 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Congrats on the race!!

I doubt the effort that you seem to have put out at your HIM was so much that you had to knock things back for long.  I have noticed that long course triathlon is far easier to recover from than long course running alone.  A half or full marathon run at race pace for me will take me 1.5-4 weeks to recover from completely but a HIM seems to be less than a week before I feel I can resume some productive workouts.  (Productive=easy miles with moderate volume on the bike and run, with the running coming 4 days post race.)  By about 7 days post HIM I can begin to do some hard stuff again, particularly in the pool and on the bike.  Running a HM takes me at least a week to get my legs back to normal but I can run again within 4 days but very easy.  A full?  Well!  that's a different story altogether!!  If I get a solid massage I can be running in less than a week but it's short and easy and spread out by at least 2 rest days between runs for another week+.

2014-05-06 8:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Aaahhhhhhhh! Yep I feel better now. I have officially hit my 1st down week in training for what seems like forever! This week was supposed to have been the 1st true heavy week of the plan but instead life gets in the way and I am officially in a taper/recovery week. Monday was baseball game and pool league (billiards). Today was daughters spring choir program, Wednesday is meeting with contractor and another baseball game, Thursday is spring band program and something (don't remember) but I am sure Sara will remind me. I think Friday is free,well except for the 2 hour drive in the evening. I have attempted to get up early but I just cannot seem to motivate before 6am, regardless of how many alarms I set!

all in all though it's not a terrible thing! I have been pushing since early march and maybe back to February so i am due.

now for the good, 1200 Yd swim at lunch today. 1x200 10x50 and 1x500. Best part was that every single 50 was under 57s, I know still slow for you fish but it is uh be for me! Almost beats the 2:03avv for the 20x100 I did last week.
2014-05-06 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Hey Junkies!! Our trip out east took more out of me than I had planned, I missed 4 days of training and during that time frame had decided I would start eatting Paleo.......big mistake. Anyway I am finally back to eatting what I need and my training is going much better. Once IM is over I may try it again but for now there is no way i can eat the amount of carbs I need to eatin in fruits and veggies alone.

Now lots to catch up on.
I am just going to say congratulations to everyone who raced, you all had amazing times, and Jeff I do not know how you continue to race and train on a broken foot

Jon, love the Hebrews quote, i have never heard that one. I defefnitly will think of it when Iam training/ racing but even on a daily basis as Will said.....that's one thing I defefnitly need to work on is trying not to always do it alone.

Dirk how's the knee after the move/setback.

Warren hows the shoulder?

Thanks for the information on cadence, power and pedaling. I never really worried about my pedaling until recently when I had heard something about being more efficient.....now I don't have to worry or think about it

Jenn as far as calories go, I use a program called fitclick it is really easy to use and it is the only way I can make sure I am eatting what I need and how many calories I need I don't want to rehash all the details but when I was training for my first IM I unknowingly under ate and it did me in. So with fit click I can log my calories burned and calories eatten along with what I need for basic everyday living and know exactly where Iam at.

Tony....did you get your infinite custom blended?

Oh! And lastly my daughter Amanda and sons girlfriend Maria, finished their first Marathons on Saturday. My daughter did not train like she should have and she actually hadn't even ran the last 3 weeks, her longest run was only 10 miles, I was a bit worried but she finished with a time of 4:44 and change, Hopefully she will do another and train like she should. But Iam very proud of her determination.
2014-05-07 11:43 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
I'm impressed with all of you posting about your great (hard) training efforts and races!

So, I had a follow-up xray yesterday. Dr. said "whatever you're doing, keep it up...because it's working".
It didn't come up that I had been cycling.

He suggests that I can try to introduce a little jogging in another 2 weeks.

I have only done 1 (ONE...UNO) outdoor road ride this entire calendar year. It was Sunday. I more than half expected to be weak. I felt that way at first, as the bike fit isn't entirely right and I wasn't warmed up to start with, but seldom cut myself slack and just hammer from the get-go.
But it turns out I was strong. Apparently significantly stronger than last year?

I tend to simply watch my cyclometer and try to stay ahead of 3 minutes per mile. (20mph avg). It's actually very challenging around my house to stay above 20mph for an entire ride if you are solo. Near the end I had climbed to 4 minutes ahead (so 21.3mph?)
That gave me an emotional boost.

2014-05-08 4:41 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by JeffY I'm impressed with all of you posting about your great (hard) training efforts and races! So, I had a follow-up xray yesterday. Dr. said "whatever you're doing, keep it up...because it's working". It didn't come up that I had been cycling. He suggests that I can try to introduce a little jogging in another 2 weeks. I have only done 1 (ONE...UNO) outdoor road ride this entire calendar year. It was Sunday. I more than half expected to be weak. I felt that way at first, as the bike fit isn't entirely right and I wasn't warmed up to start with, but seldom cut myself slack and just hammer from the get-go. But it turns out I was strong. Apparently significantly stronger than last year? I tend to simply watch my cyclometer and try to stay ahead of 3 minutes per mile. (20mph avg). It's actually very challenging around my house to stay above 20mph for an entire ride if you are solo. Near the end I had climbed to 4 minutes ahead (so 21.3mph?) That gave me an emotional boost.

Yep!  The above statement would be true based on my observations! 

It's good to hear that your healing well.  I hope your injury heals better than mine seems to be going right now.  

________

I'll post an update later about how I'm doing.  Thanks for asking Joanne.

2014-05-08 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by DirkP

Yep!  The above statement would be true based on my observations! 

It's good to hear that your healing well.  I hope your injury heals better than mine seems to be going right now.  

________

I'll post an update later about how I'm doing.  Thanks for asking Joanne.

As long as I don't begin running too soon, it will do well...

But I hate to hear you say that about your recovery.
2014-05-08 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
I'm poking around the web gathering thoughts about pedal stroke and I came across this article that agrees with my own ideas of pedaling.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Which-Muscles-are-Really-Used-During-t...

This doesn't cover everything I am thinking about, but it does support my previous assertion that pushing down (and nothing else) is the most efficient way to pedal. It also agrees with me that the hips need to produce the power and not the knee (I've used the term 'lower quads' to refer to using the 'knee').

More to come!
2014-05-08 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
I'm attaching a little graphic that I created.

My subjective experience when pedaling is depicted in this graphic. The red line shows the pedal arc where I apply power to the pedals when RPMs are low. 'Low' is subjective, but certainly at 80 and lower RPM.
The blue line shows the pedal arc where I apply power to the pedals when RPMs get high...say 100+.

Note that I'm referring only to DOWNWARD force. I don't go out of my way to move in circles. So that blue line after the bottom of the pedal stroke is actively resisting my other foot's downward movement and robbing me of power.

I don't do this when I'm thinking about it, but I do find myself doing this when I have been daydreaming and suddenly come to my senses...

Does this mean that it's better to spin low RPMs? No!!!
But it may be why many people find they are more powerful (or efficient) at lower RPMs. It's not because lower RPMs are 'better', it's because when they turn higher RPMs they are unknowingly (perhaps) fighting themselves.

Here's a description of how I feel when I catch myself doing this....I will have been pedaling at a 90+ cadence for a while and my legs are beginning to burn slightly and my cardio exertion is beginning to get my attention. I'm enjoying this feeling of sneaking up closer to threshold and enjoying the knowledge that I'm challenging my body and will be getting stronger....
Then I realize that I'm staying on the 'push' too long and that I'm a little bit toe-down and pushing through knee extension...I relax the knee, lower the heel and get OFF the downstroke before the bottom and VOILA! It feels like there is no resistance and I'm cruising along at an effort level I could do all day long! (and I might be seeing 250 watts).

It feels like magic.

(pedal_stroke.png)

Attachments
----------------
pedal_stroke.png (9KB - 7 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.