General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-29 4:51 PM

las vegas
Subject: swimming
I have a question regarding swimming. I am wanting to do a half iron distance race in a few months but I have no idea how to build up my swimming endurance. I can bike and run quite well but I have never had any formal swim training. Any tips for starting from near scratch?

2013-12-29 5:02 PM
in reply to: halfblackjesus

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: swimming

Originally posted by halfblackjesus I have a question regarding swimming. I am wanting to do a half iron distance race in a few months but I have no idea how to build up my swimming endurance. I can bike and run quite well but I have never had any formal swim training. Any tips for starting from near scratch?

Simple - go get some "formal swim training".  Find a local swim coach with a good reputation for working with triathlons, get him/her to check your form, tell you what you need to work on, and then go work on it.  Setup a weekly or bi-weekly schedule with the coach.  Then swim a lot. 

Voila. You will have swim endurance after you have good swim technique and after you build appropriate skills and strengths.

2013-12-29 6:13 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

I started more or less on my own, but then decided to get some lessons to make sure I wasn't going to ingrain any bad habits. It wasn't too expensive, I think I did 10 30 minute lessons over 10 weeks, and swam about 4 to 6 times per week in between.

I watched a lot of videos on you tube, bought 2 books, total immersion, and swim speed secrets. Visited the "swim smooth," website, and watched that animation guy a lot. I even brought my video camera and mounted it on a tripod at the pool (530am so no one would have an issue).

Besides that, I just swam a lot. Some good days, some bad, but the more I went, the better I got.
2013-12-29 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
The previous two posts have pretty much covered what you have to do but I would add - don't put it off to start swim training - get going right away. You may be a natural and pick it up easy but you may not so start PDQ.

You may be strong in the bike and run but you need to be able to do the swim, come out of the water and then keep going.

Have fun with it.
2013-12-29 9:21 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Swimming is, in the opinion of many here, the most technique-intemsive of the three disciplines. Getting some good coaching is a great idea so you don't develop any bad habits that may be difficult to break later on.
2013-12-29 11:41 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

What others have said. Getting lessons right away would be my suggestion. I learned to swim last year. At first, I could make it down to the other side of the pool and then be exhausted for minute. I spent a year learning to swim myself and getting the Total Immersion DVD (which now people say is bad since you'll never excel in swimming with it). I now have a coach looking at me once/week and I've slowly went from 2:00/100yds to 1:50/100yds. Even though I've only swam for a year, I picked up and engrained a bad catch, bad body rotation, and bad head/posture. To me, I felt like I was doing everything right but once I had someone look at me, their head just started shaking

2013-12-30 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by halfblackjesus

I have a question regarding swimming. I am wanting to do a half iron distance race in a few months but I have no idea how to build up my swimming endurance. I can bike and run quite well but I have never had any formal swim training. Any tips for starting from near scratch?

Well that's quite a pickle.

You didn't say if you were even swimming yet. Are you? You need to get to the pool ASAP. Find out what distance you can safely manage continuous freestyle. That means not stopping. Then take a break and and repeat. If is just 25 yards so be it, hit the wall and do it again. If you end up with 500 yards the frist swim again so be it just keep at it. Little by little just continue to build. Maybe the first weeks swim 2 times a week the second week and following weeks swim 3 times. Good luck.
2013-12-30 10:08 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Get someone to coach you. Look for local organised swim lessons and find out if they have a drop in policy. Or a masters group.

I dropped in on my local 'adult endurance hour session' and enjoyed doing the drills. Only got 10 minutes of 1:1 coaching but immediately I am told:

"your kick is huge!!'

I saw an immediate improvement from something I could never have noticed on my own.
2013-12-30 10:53 AM

User image

Get in a pool as soon as possible followed directly by finding a good local coach. I'd also look into joining a local masters swim program. With the masters you may be able to package some coaching with the ability to swim with others that will help push and motivate you. Any good masters coach will take the time to point out things you an work on during each swim session, especially if you talk to them before about your background and goals. They can likely help you find a good coach as well if you want more one on one time.
2013-12-30 11:26 AM
in reply to: travis_lt

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Don't want to be discouraging but "a few months" may not be enough time, depending on your swim background. If you're already comfortable in the water and can swim several hundred meters/yards, it's probably just a matter of getting some feedback on your stroke, working on technique, and building endurance (plus getting comfortable with swimming in open water and a wetsuit, assuming that's necessary for your race). If you're essentially a non-swimmer, or can't swim a few hundred meters continuously at any pace, then I'd suggest starting with a duathlon or maybe a shorter tri if you have the necessary swim skills by then.

For your safety and that of others, you really need to have a "cushion" of skills, confidence, and endurance for a tri swim. That is, be able to swim a bit longer than race distance (sometimes courses aren't accurate, swimmers navigate poorly and add distance to their swim, open water swims can be more tiring due to current, etc.). You should also be able to deal physically and mentally with not being able to breathe for several seconds if you are swimming in a crowd or pushed under by someone at the start, and comfortable with some level of physical contact in the water. It is also very helpful to have a "rescue stroke" (probably breaststroke or backstroke) that you can use if you panic or otherwise have difficulty in the race. Finally, you need to get into open water in the wetsuit you will use for the race, at least a few times.

Speaking from personal experience--I'm a strong swimmer and have been swimming since infancy, but panicked the first time I swam in open ocean. Ditto for first swim in a full wetsuit in cold water. It took several ocean swims for me to relax in that setting (most of my tris are ocean swims) and several goes with the wetsuit before I felt comfortable with it. Had either of those panic situations occurred in a race and been made worse by the crowding and adrenaline, I may well have been forced to drop out or needed rescue.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Swam Swum

Started by Robert Reynolds
Views: 1774 Posts: 12

2006-07-09 3:21 PM Robert Reynolds

Tri Swim Coach Swim Workshop 9/11/04- Denver, CO

Started by Tri Swim Coach
Views: 1034 Posts: 5

2004-08-23 11:49 AM Tri Swim Coach

How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle

Started by steven
Views: 2507 Posts: 7

2004-06-28 6:19 PM getwet

First Swim in a "Public" swim area

Started by slow&steady
Views: 1220 Posts: 9

2004-06-22 1:36 PM mikenhe

Swimming advice or help needed on video clip of myself swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by steven
Views: 3527 Posts: 29

2004-05-11 4:52 AM steven
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...