United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 51s
Overall Rank = 984/2231
Age Group = 35-39 Male
Age Group Rank = 97/153
Pre-race routine:

Went out for dinner and a beer with old friends from high school and fellow runner who helped inspire me to step up to the HM distance. In the morning I had my usual pre-event breakfast of a Clif bar and caffeinated Fluid perform sports drink.
Event warmup:

Met up with my running friend ("C") and her coworkers from Road Runner Sports at the race start line. Warmed up and stretched legs then downed a energy shot.
Run
  • 2h 02m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start of the run C shot out of the gate at a fast pace to get ahead of the pack of our start wave. I tried to keep up with here as my plan was to pace alongside her for at least the start of the run however I didn't want to burn myself in the first mile. Her average pace is a bit slower than mine so I figured I would catch up to her once she settled into her normal pace. As we hit the major uphill I did just that and we climbed up to the crest together. Once heading downhill momentum took over and I shot out ahead, figuring I wouldn't see her till the end of the race.

One aspect of my running that I've been working on improving is allowing myself to go fast on downhill segments. This run it really payed off as I was able to hold an 8:30 pace downhill compared to my flat 9:30-9:45 pace. Most of the downhill segments were that perfect grade to allow for a faster pace without getting too fast.

The final miles were as flat as can be. Looking at my watch I knew I was close to the holy grail of a "2 hour HM" but my legs just didn't have it in them to run a fast enough pace for the two miles to come in under 2:00. I could see the beach and hear the announcer at the finish line as the final mile seemed to take forever.

As I rounded the final corner I kicked up the pace with what little I had left to finish fast. My parents were at the finish line watching and yelled out to me as I passed by, excited to watch me finish an event for the first time.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, the run went really smooth. Speed will come with training.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched my legs and met up with my family for a round of congratulations. Watched the finish line to see C come in around 2:25 and hear her say her usual "I hate running!" (this being her 42'nd HM).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More training, as usual.

Event comments:

Pretty good race to end the year. Next year I'll run it again as the final race in the "California Half Marathon Series" for some extra bling :)

Last updated: 2013-12-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:51 | 13.1 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 97/153
Overall: 984/2231
Performance: Good
Course: Point to point route that went from inland to the coast that was generally downhill. In the first mile there was the biggest uphill of the day leading to a fast downhill. The middle of the course had a few gentle climbs followed by long gentle descents following a canyon to the coast. The final two miles were flat along a lagoon to the beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-12-30 11:30 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego Holiday Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Half Marathon

Started by peterdewey
Views: 1064 Posts: 1

2012-06-09 12:25 PM peterdewey

San Diego Half Marathon

Started by AndrewZ57
Views: 888 Posts: 1

2012-04-02 10:45 PM AndrewZ57

San Diego Half Marathon

Started by sdpadsgrl
Views: 729 Posts: 1

2012-03-19 7:21 PM sdpadsgrl

San Diego Half Marathon

Started by dm3llav
Views: 944 Posts: 1

2012-03-16 2:03 AM dm3llav

San Diego 1/2 Marathon

Started by dkolson
Views: 898 Posts: 1

2004-04-05 2:23 AM dkolson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.