BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-02-18 10:36 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Chelmsford, England
Subject: McFuzz Group Triathlon
it seems a far fetched idea that we will all ever meet up for a Triathlon being so far apart.

I think a more manageable idea would be to agree on maybe a weekend or fortnight where we would all compete the same Triathlon.

this would need to fit in with everybody's training schedules,

so a few ideas I think we should stick to a sprint 750 meter swim, 20 Km (12.5 mi) bike, 5 Km (3.1 mi) run or Olympic
1.5 Km (.93 mi) swim, 40 Km (25 mi) bike, 10 Km (6.2 mi) run

but if you want to do something different speak up.

I am very flexible with the dates that we do this as long as it is after May and before September but please do reply and say the dates that you would rather have.

this will only work if we all want it to.

2014-02-19 4:43 PM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

, West-Vlaanderen
Subject: RE: McFuzz Group Triathlon

I'm pretty sure i posted something on here yesterday... but i dont see it so here goes:

I didnt tell anyone about it so far but if I manage to get subscribed, there are a few other OD's i'm doing this year.

These are the dates:

01-06
29-06
07-07
15-08
03-09
13-09

And some pics of my bike and run!!!

beginning of race

I'm the chubby one with the massive legs. Hans was just getting off the bike. :D

me finishing

The finish. I was dying here.I probably could poke an eye out with my nipples too.

finish

Diarrhea-cha-cha-cha. Or just plain mud. Those were once withe sportsocks... Aah, I remember those days.

muddy

An example of how a lot of parts were. 

I forgot to write in my report I have flat feet. No problems though. I hae supportive soles i wear everytime i wear shoes. But for some odd reason I only put in my right sole on sunday. Needless to say, when I tried to run today, my left leg still hurted alot. So no decent training today.
2014-02-19 10:26 PM

User image

Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED)
Originally posted by Jynxy

I'm not one to make excuses but I seem to still be trying to catch up on my missed nights sleep, just went out for my quick run and even though I did well 8.30 min/miles I didn't smash it and struggled badly at the end as I was suffering stomach aches. I really wanted to go out and put a line in the sand, it was on as I went out hard with 8.10 to start kept that through the next to half miles but on the fourth(which is a little incline) I backed off and that's where the pain started and I dropped to 9 min/miles.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with me doing a core workout earlier in the day ??

Just to leave nothing out I now have really bad gas !!! burpppp

Veyr detailed!
2014-02-19 10:28 PM

User image

it seems a far fetched idea that we will all ever meet up for a Triathlon being so far apart.

I think a more manageable idea would be to agree on maybe a weekend or fortnight where we would all compete the same Triathlon.

so a few ideas I think we should stick to a sprint 750 meter swim, 20 Km (12.5 mi) bike, 5 Km (3.1 mi) run or Olympic

but if you want to do something different speak up.

I am very flexible with the dates that we do this as long as it is after May and before September but please do reply and say the dates that you would rather have.

great Idea!
happy to do sprint, if its around august i might try OD, i will go with majority
2014-02-19 10:31 PM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

Originally posted by Tridimi

I'm pretty sure i posted something on here yesterday... but i dont see it so here goes:

I didnt tell anyone about it so far but if I manage to get subscribed, there are a few other OD's i'm doing this year.

These are the dates:

01-06
29-06
07-07
15-08
03-09
13-09

And some pics of my bike and run!!!

beginning of race

I'm the chubby one with the massive legs. Hans was just getting off the bike. :D

me finishing

The finish. I was dying here.I probably could poke an eye out with my nipples too.

finish

Diarrhea-cha-cha-cha. Or just plain mud. Those were once withe sportsocks... Aah, I remember those days.

muddy

An example of how a lot of parts were. 

I forgot to write in my report I have flat feet. No problems though. I hae supportive soles i wear everytime i wear shoes. But for some odd reason I only put in my right sole on sunday. Needless to say, when I tried to run today, my left leg still hurted alot. So no decent training today.

Awesome job Dimitri!

It looks a lot of hard work but fun.

You have alot of Tri's on your list especially being OD's, they seem hard to come by here with only 3 this season
2014-02-20 3:18 AM
in reply to: Lanne

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Those are only the ones in my province. There is almost one or more every weekend in Belgium once spring starts. OD's are very popular here.

2014-02-20 6:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
agree on maybe a weekend or fortnight where we would all compete the same Triathlon.

I'd be up for trying to arrange but think I may fail unless you pick a weekend in Sept, the other months are a little busy for me with:
June - 1 weekend racing, 1 weekend Scuba diving
July - 2 weekend Scuba diving, 1 weekend reccy'ing a course, 1 weekend volunteering
August - 2 weekends racing, 1 weekend diving

Happy to look at Sept and indeed there was an Olympic I was looking at on the 14th Sept.

Kate
2014-02-20 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4921078

User image

Elite
Dimitri that race looked like a total blast! You guys are great at posting pics...I need to figure that out. I love seeing pics of faces to put with the names...also the different terrain we all train on. I'll have to get some shots of the desert mountain trails I run on!
Keep up the good work guys! Day in and day out consistency is where it's at!
2014-02-20 11:18 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Once the weather is a bit better, i'll try to make some pics of my running parcours. Obviously I'll only make pics of the most beautifull parts just to make all of you jealous.

2014-02-20 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Dimitri,

Thanks for posting this.  That looks like a lot of fun even with the mud and such. 

2014-02-20 5:50 PM

User image

I am looking forward to August when I would really like to do OD in Broome, I have two more months of sprint racing to go then from May would like to start the OD training.

I have been doing HR zone plan but not really watching the HR, bit silly really. But was looking at OD plans and think this is the one I understand the best. Olympic, Basic 12 Week - HR Zone Based for where I am at to get me to the finish line.

Comments, suggestions, words of wisdom appreciated

2014-02-20 5:54 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England
evening all,

just back from swimming and updated my album

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Albums/Album/17103

so pleased with the latest one. I am going to a swim school on Saturday, its the top place in the uk and I shall be in the endless pool with the 2 greatest teachers at their disclipine. so excited

if you are at all interested http://www.trinswimwell.co.uk/about

tomorrow I am going to get my bike fit to me going to take well over an hour but hopefully it will stop my hands numbness
2014-02-20 7:52 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Lanne I am looking forward to August when I would really like to do OD in Broome, I have two more months of sprint racing to go then from May would like to start the OD training. I have been doing HR zone plan but not really watching the HR, bit silly really. But was looking at OD plans and think this is the one I understand the best. Olympic, Basic 12 Week - HR Zone Based for where I am at to get me to the finish line. Comments, suggestions, words of wisdom appreciated

I haven't been too compelled to replace my HRM because I usually ignored it as well...

I think an Olympic distance race is well within your reach.  Your training is consistent and you can easily do the distances in training and for race day.  You will want to start experimenting with sports drinks or other nutrition because 3 hours is a little too long to just "wing it." 

2014-02-20 7:57 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by ingleshteechur Dimitri that race looked like a total blast! You guys are great at posting pics...I need to figure that out. I love seeing pics of faces to put with the names...also the different terrain we all train on. I'll have to get some shots of the desert mountain trails I run on! Keep up the good work guys! Day in and day out consistency is where it's at!

So are you going to post pics of your trip to Vegas???   

2014-02-20 10:42 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

You can really see the difference Joe! Nice work! Next weekend i'm planning on measuring myself again, after one month. And taking pictures again too. Which reminds me to post the first ones.

And yet another idea. About everyone of us here is trying to eat healthy and to loose some weight. More often healthy food and really delicious often doesn't go hand in hand in my dictionary. So here's the idea. Maybe you have some nice recipes with good healthy food and want to share it!. I know I have some! I'll try and post some stuff this weekend.

2014-02-21 6:41 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Tridimi

And yet another idea. About everyone of us here is trying to eat healthy and to loose some weight. More often healthy food and really delicious often doesn't go hand in hand in my dictionary. So here's the idea. Maybe you have some nice recipes with good healthy food and want to share it!. I know I have some! I'll try and post some stuff this weekend.

Healthy and delicious do go together (not that I don't have beer, wine, ice cream, chocolate, cookies, or chips on occasion).  I have a couple cookbooks with some very good and reasonably healthy recipes.  Instead of "lightening" a recipe by using low-fat sour cream, I use the real deal and make sure I watch how big a portion I consume.  I'd rather eat a small quantity of delicious food than a larger serving of pseudo-healthy food and many of the "low-fat" or "lite" products aren't really healthy to begin. 

There is a nutrition and weight loss forum already on BT.  You might browse there for recipes as well as post your recipes. 

2014-02-21 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4952614

User image

Elite
Ok McFuzzies...I need some advice!

Months ago I set my two year Ironman goal--to complete Ironman Couer d'alene summer of 2015. Part of the overall plan was to volunteer at that same Ironman this summer. One of my best friends and I have registered to volunteer, I have rooms reserved as well for my hubby and two daughters. Another bonus is that mom, whom I see maybe once a year, was going to drive down from Kelowna, BC to spend some time together. For us, this would be a 13 hour drive. Since I've put all that into place, my friend has to cancel as she forgot about a prior committment. We found out yesterday that older daughter has a basketball camp that same week that culminates in a big tournament the weekend of the IM. That takes hubby out--plus I would hate to miss the tournament. That leaves myself and my younger daughter to go on our own. I'm trying to decide whether or not to just bag the whole trip or go ahead and go. If I don't go, I feel like I'm already failing in my two year plan--but I'm not sure if that's a logical reaction. Advice/suggestions? What would you do?
2014-02-21 7:36 AM
in reply to: #4953180

User image

Elite
And yes, Mike--going to attempt to post some pics from Vegas this weekend! :-)
2014-02-21 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Originally posted by ingleshteechur

Months ago I set my two year Ironman goal--to complete Ironman Couer d'alene summer of 2015. Part of the overall plan was to volunteer at that same Ironman this summer. One of my best friends and I have registered to volunteer, I have rooms reserved as well for my hubby and two daughters. Another bonus is that mom, whom I see maybe once a year, was going to drive down from Kelowna, BC to spend some time together. For us, this would be a 13 hour drive. Since I've put all that into place, my friend has to cancel as she forgot about a prior committment. We found out yesterday that older daughter has a basketball camp that same week that culminates in a big tournament the weekend of the IM. That takes hubby out--plus I would hate to miss the tournament. That leaves myself and my younger daughter to go on our own. I'm trying to decide whether or not to just bag the whole trip or go ahead and go. If I don't go, I feel like I'm already failing in my two year plan--but I'm not sure if that's a logical reaction. Advice/suggestions? What would you do?

For a start I wouldn't tie my competing goals into a volunteering goal, they're two separate things and it would seem a shame if you threw one in just 'cause you couldn't do the other. Also, what were the goals in volunteering and can you get them some other way? Do you feel you have to observe in order to compete and if so would another race fit the bill adequately? Then there's missing out on the tournament if you do go .... will there be other times or is this a once in a lifetime chance to see your daughter? IMCdA will likely take place for another 3 years so how would you feel about delaying your plans by a year? How do the rest of the family feel about you still volunteering?

lots of Q's but these may help you decide what's best for you and all those around you.

Hope they help, Kate
2014-02-21 11:00 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by ingleshteechur Ok McFuzzies...I need some advice! Months ago I set my two year Ironman goal--to complete Ironman Couer d'alene summer of 2015. Part of the overall plan was to volunteer at that same Ironman this summer. One of my best friends and I have registered to volunteer, I have rooms reserved as well for my hubby and two daughters. Another bonus is that mom, whom I see maybe once a year, was going to drive down from Kelowna, BC to spend some time together. For us, this would be a 13 hour drive. Since I've put all that into place, my friend has to cancel as she forgot about a prior committment. We found out yesterday that older daughter has a basketball camp that same week that culminates in a big tournament the weekend of the IM. That takes hubby out--plus I would hate to miss the tournament. That leaves myself and my younger daughter to go on our own. I'm trying to decide whether or not to just bag the whole trip or go ahead and go. If I don't go, I feel like I'm already failing in my two year plan--but I'm not sure if that's a logical reaction. Advice/suggestions? What would you do?

Talk it over with your husband and each daughter individually. 

Can you AFFORD (justify) the trip with just you and your younger daughter?  How will your husband feel about "missing out" on the trip?  How will your older daughter feel about "missing out?"  How will your younger daughter feel if dad and her sister aren't there also?  This helps separate the emotional aspects of the decision from the practical aspects.  It's nice that you want to volunteer, but IMCdA hasn't historically sold out, so volunteering doesn't get you access that you otherwise wouldn't have.  It would give you a chance to scout out the area and look at where you might stay when you race.  (We stayed at a historic hotel a few blocks from transition...expensive, but close enough to walk without getting completely tied up in traffic congestion.

If you can afford for just yourself and your daughter to make the trip and she's interested in going with you one-on-one, GO, GO, GO!!!  My mom came out to Utah last March and spent 10 days with me.  I can say it was the first time in 48 years that she has spent that kind of uninterrupted one-on-one time with me.  I've had precious few opportunities to spend extended time one-on-one with my own boys. 

What else would you do on the trip, or what would you do differently on the volunteer trip compared to the race trip?  (For example, would you skip spending time in Glacier so you can do that as the whole family next year?)  If you want to do the trip but cut back on expenses, consider joining up with a BT'er doing the race since it's just the two of you. 

2014-02-21 11:39 AM
in reply to: Kate_r

User image

Elite

My thought on volunteering was to see the whole IM unfold.  I wanted to see the whole race from the front lines.  Technically it's 'not necessary' for me to volunteer in order to sign up.  If I don't go to volunteer, I'll still be able to sign up no problem.  I'll still set IMCDA as my 2015 goal.

As for older daughter's bball tournament--there will be plenty more but I hate missing any.  Her high school years are already flying by! 

Good questions to ask myself, they are helping!

2014-02-21 3:36 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

My thought on volunteering was to see the whole IM unfold.  I wanted to see the whole race from the front lines.  Technically it's 'not necessary' for me to volunteer in order to sign up.  If I don't go to volunteer, I'll still be able to sign up no problem.  I'll still set IMCDA as my 2015 goal.

As for older daughter's bball tournament--there will be plenty more but I hate missing any.  Her high school years are already flying by! 

Good questions to ask myself, they are helping!

Fair enough...an M-dot event is far more than just the triathlon...you have pre-race checkin and the athlete dinner (which volunteers don't attend) and then the awards ceremony the day after the race...

Would another M-dot race fit into your schedule?  What if you volunteered for IMLP (Lake Placid, in late July) or IMKY (Louisville, in late August), or IMMoo (Madison, mid-September), IMFL (Panama City Beach, early November), or IMAZ (Tempe, late November)?  What if you volunteered for Vineman (Sonoma, late July)? 

2014-02-21 7:10 PM

User image

Whilst I think it is great that you support your daughter and your family so much, I think often we put off what we want or NEED to do to please everyone else (maybe not even to please everyone, its just mothering). It's a bit like when you cook a BBQ and 1 lamb chop gets burnt, who eats it? I think its always the mom (no offence dads its just what mums do, always put themselves second).

This is what you have been working to and obviously it is your plan and preparation that will ultimately get you to the end goal. If your daughter has many more events and this is just 1 for you I say do it and celebrate together at the end when you both reach your target. And daughter 2 will enjoy special time with you. And you get to see your mom no one can knock you for that.

Just Do It.
2014-02-22 2:31 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Choosing is losing... always

2014-02-22 10:49 PM

User image

Elite
This is a test to see if I can post pics from my phone! Great desert mountain run with my favorite running buddies!

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (3067KB - 8 downloads)
image.jpg (2340KB - 7 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 36920 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.