BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-01-14 3:06 PM
in reply to: Shrekrcr

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (OPEN)
Originally posted by Shrekrcr

You got it on the weight loss........at least a hundred pounds...screw it.....I will just throw it out there........I am 6' 2" and 341.1 as of this morning.

Matt

Thanks Matt.

Thank you for putting that out there. I care far more about who you want to be than who you are today. You want to be healthy, active, and weigh less than 250# by the end of 2015. That's great, and I hope I can be part of your journey. (I'll let you do all the hard work though.)

For everyone, what you are today and what you have been in the past can provide context to what you want to do, but please do not let them define you or limit what you want to do.

Matt has provided a great place for me to start with all of you.

Matt, How does a 6'2" 225# ATHLETE behave? How does he look? He eats a healthy diet, gets enough rest, is excited to be healthy and active. He gets up off his rear and swims, bikes, runs, walks, canoes, rock climbs (or whatever he enjoys doing) with a smile on his face. His kids think he's superman (and he is, just don't attempt to fly faster than a speeding bullet) and his wife gets to hear other women comment on how totally HOT her man is (and she really knows it too). Imagine shopping for a new suit, and having to purchase dress pants separate from the jacket because the pants that come with the jacket are way too big! His friends are amazed at what he does on a "normal" day. That future athlete is confident and disciplined and makes good choices about what he consumes because he knows what his body needs and he can therefore limit his indulgences (not necessarily to zero, but at a healthy level).

Now the Matt of today will have some significant challenges to become the Matt of 2016. Have you checked with a doctor? He's starting to surround himself with people (hint, hint, all of us in the mentor group) who will support and encourage the new Matt, and he may find old friends unhappy to lose their current friend. Others will be inspired by your changes and start changing for themselves. You might very well get injured (Matt, please be very careful as you start running.) Your wife may become jealous both of the time you're devoting to your own health and the success you're achieving. (I've heard a number of women grouse that their husband can lose 30# at the drop of a hat while they struggle to lose 5#.)

Matt, There is a weight loss forum here on BT. You'll find support and inspiration there. I'll also encourage you to take pictures AND MEASUREMENTS frequently (at least once a month) and not just rely on the scale. There have been a number of threads with BEFORE/AFTER pictures. You can't do BEFORE/AFTER or BEFORE/DURING if you don't have the "BEFORE" pictures and measurements!

2014-01-14 3:14 PM
in reply to: fadullium

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Originally posted by fadullium

Hey everyone! My name is Jon and if you'll have me I'd like to join the group. =)

A little about me, I’m a 32 year old father of two C-R-A-Z-Y boys (10 and 6) and I am the lesser of two halves that have been going strong for almost 11 years now. By day I slave away in a cube farm and at night well... I mostly play referee to the two boys ;-)

Over the past few years my brother has completed a number of sprint and Olympic distance Triathlons and has FINALLY convinced me to bite the bullet and join him this year.

I did wrestle in high school and swim in middle school but that feels like a lifetime ago and I don’t consider myself much of an athlete. I am somewhere between an avid and recreational cyclist and while I prefer the challenges of single-track mountain biking, I’m willing to learn to ride on pavement and I believe that I’ve put in a couple of good sessions on the trainer to get my legs and lungs used to a decent (for me) cadence/ speed. For swimming, in addition to my overall fitness, I’ve had to focus on my rhythm, form, and technique (all things I had in middle school that I THOUGH I would still be able to pull off.) As for running, that’s on hold for me right now. I injured myself trying too much too fast and I’ve got to take a break. I thought I could go back to my old Marine days and get right back into running 3 miles and well, I was wrong and 8+ years and about 60 lbs later running hard and long proved to be a mistake. There’s a thread here where I’ve asked for advice here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

My goals for 2014 are pretty basic. First, I’d like to be able to complete a sprint, and if that goes well one or two more before I even think of signing up for an Olympic distance to be run early fall (Savage Man 30). Second, I’d like to be more fit. If I can “run & gun” with the big boys at my current weight (I’m currently around 237lbs from a high (a low really) of 277) then I’m all for it but I suspect that with continued training I may just have to lose another 50 lbs. ;-)

2015? – We’ll see if I don’t break down trying to make it through THIS year =P

I look forward to learning from, working with and maybe meeting all of you

Welcome Jon,

(Grin) I got my brother involved in tri's back in 2006. He and I have competed head-to-head three times since then. That first race, he was just starting while I was training for a HIM, so I spotted him some time. The second and third, we were more evenly matched so it was straight-up "who finished first?" That last race, I ran the whole 10K like a scalded dog because he was behind me and I didn't want him running me down. Lay down some smack talk and start putting the hurt on him. (My brother was the better runner back in our HS days when we ran track and XC together.)

If you prefer mountain biking, consider doing an off-road triathlon like the Xterra series.
2014-01-14 5:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Northlake, Texas
Originally posted by McFuzz

Welcome Jon,

(Grin) I got my brother involved in tri's back in 2006. He and I have competed head-to-head three times since then. That first race, he was just starting while I was training for a HIM, so I spotted him some time. The second and third, we were more evenly matched so it was straight-up "who finished first?" That last race, I ran the whole 10K like a scalded dog because he was behind me and I didn't want him running me down. Lay down some smack talk and start putting the hurt on him. (My brother was the better runner back in our HS days when we ran track and XC together.)

If you prefer mountain biking, consider doing an off-road triathlon like the Xterra series.

Thanks for the welcome!

I definately plan on talking smack, and I'm not above paying off volunteers to hide his gear ;-)... anything to get a leg up, because in the end, he's really the only one I need to beat! haha

I didn't know that they (off-road Tris) even existed! I'll work on my google-fu and see what I can find.

Oh and I don't know if any of you also use garmin connect if you do feel free to add me (User ID : A_666_K9)

Edited by fadullium 2014-01-14 5:21 PM
2014-01-14 5:31 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Thanks for all of that.........some inspiring words in there........

I have been biking occasionally..........6.7 miles on Sunday in 49min......includes two short rest stops.

Matt
2014-01-14 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4921078

User image

Hello,
My name is Mike and I am in central Maryland. I would like to join the new athlete group here as well. A bit about myself: I'm 43 and married, no kids. Last March I was diagnosed with severe high blood pressure (190/110) and type 2 diabetes. My doctor gave me 2 choices; lose weight, quit smoking or continue on doing what I was doing and I would be dead of a heart attack or stroke by 50. I chose the first option. No cigarettes in 10 months and I have lost 102 lbs. I no longer take HBP medicine since I don't need it any more and I manage my diabetes with diet and exercise. I was recently asked what my New Years resolution would be since I quit smoking and lost weight. I didn't have an answer immediately but I have always have wanted to do a tri. So here I am. I ran track and CC in HS and was a lifeguard as well at summer camp. Biking is my weakness. I haven't rode a bike in 10 years. I will be looking for tips on bike equipment, training and riding technique. Thanks for volunteering and helping newbs out like myself.
2014-01-14 8:50 PM
in reply to: Mr10670

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Originally posted by Mr10670

Hello,
My name is Mike and I am in central Maryland. I would like to join the new athlete group here as well. A bit about myself: I'm 43 and married, no kids. Last March I was diagnosed with severe high blood pressure (190/110) and type 2 diabetes. My doctor gave me 2 choices; lose weight, quit smoking or continue on doing what I was doing and I would be dead of a heart attack or stroke by 50. I chose the first option. No cigarettes in 10 months and I have lost 102 lbs. I no longer take HBP medicine since I don't need it any more and I manage my diabetes with diet and exercise. I was recently asked what my New Years resolution would be since I quit smoking and lost weight. I didn't have an answer immediately but I have always have wanted to do a tri. So here I am. I ran track and CC in HS and was a lifeguard as well at summer camp. Biking is my weakness. I haven't rode a bike in 10 years. I will be looking for tips on bike equipment, training and riding technique. Thanks for volunteering and helping newbs out like myself.

Welcome to the group Mike. Congratulations on making some very positive lifestyle changes. I think the rest of the group would be interested in more of your story. What did you do to lose weight? I'd be interested in how you feel now compared to how you felt then. How does what I wrote about what Matt wants to do compare to your own story (note to all of you...you have as much to contribute to these discussions as I do...so pipe up!)?

As for cycling, what types of riding do you really want to do? You can do a triathlon on about any bicycle, it doesn't have to be the latest and lightest carbon fiber and titanium device known to mankind. (I did my first two triathlons on a steel-frame mountain bike, and rode an old road bike to a 20+mph bike split in my only HIM.) Road bikes get expensive in a hurry, with entry level bikes starting at about $700 and increasing to quite obscene amounts quickly! In addition to the bike, you'll find yourself buying shoes, helmet, saddle bag, tools, computer, spare tubes, etc. That $700 road bike will cost you $1000 by the time you get everything else (and a pair or two of bike shorts). Oh...and you'll always want one more bike...

2014-01-14 9:06 PM
in reply to: fadullium

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Originally posted by fadullium

Welcome Jon,

Thanks for the welcome!

I definately plan on talking smack, and I'm not above paying off volunteers to hide his gear ;-)... anything to get a leg up, because in the end, he's really the only one I need to beat! haha

I didn't know that they (off-road Tris) even existed! I'll work on my google-fu and see what I can find.

Oh and I don't know if any of you also use garmin connect if you do feel free to add me (User ID : A_666_K9)

That's why I'm here.

My HRM hasn't worked for a couple years, and I haven't missed it. If I get a Garmin and Garmin Connect, I'll add you, but don't hold your breath (sorry...technology isn't a priority for me).

Definitely do some smack talk. Pick a wager and then you and your brother can "negotiate" how much time he'll spot you. BTW, for the last race, he didn't tell me he signed up for the OLY 40 miles from me (we live 350 miles apart)...I found out when I saw the list of participants and then it was GAME ON!!
2014-01-14 9:40 PM

User image

That's Great, Mike! How did you lose all that weight?

Matt
2014-01-14 9:40 PM

User image

Hi Matt! It is nice to meet you. I am also very new to all of this and just registered for BT last week! Your bio caught my eye because our kids are the same ages. My son is 7 and my daughter is 4. One of my goals is to be an inspiration to them. My son already talks about wanting to go running with me this summer and my daughter of course chimes in because she doesn't want to be left out. I find it to be a great motivator to get healthy when there are little eyes watching everything you do!
2014-01-15 12:33 AM
in reply to: annplumley

User image

Originally posted by annplumley

Hi Matt! It is nice to meet you. I am also very new to all of this and just registered for BT last week! Your bio caught my eye because our kids are the same ages. My son is 7 and my daughter is 4. One of my goals is to be an inspiration to them. My son already talks about wanting to go running with me this summer and my daughter of course chimes in because she doesn't want to be left out. I find it to be a great motivator to get healthy when there are little eyes watching everything you do!

Nice to meet you too......thanks for the message. I too am concerned about the message I am sending........I want to be that Dad that was mentioned in the earlier post....

Matt
2014-01-15 2:10 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by Mr10670

Hello,

just a quick question Mike,

when was the last time you went to see your doctor ?, you say you have been doing some exercising but if you have had a history of HBP you really should get checked regularly or have you got the all clear

2014-01-15 3:41 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen
NAME: Tridimi - Dimitri

ABOUT ME: I'm 1m90 ~ 6ft and 23 inches and weighing about 99.4kg ~ 219.14 lbs. I just turned 31. I live in Belgium, Kortrijk (yes, very worldwide known city ;-)) Allthough i'm a complete newbie to the tri-world, I do have some history of sports. I have been a "competitive" swimmer from the age of 9 till 12. After that, i switched to water-polo untill i was 18 and quit sports alltogether and got fat. After a few years getting even fatter, i decided at the age of 22 that running up a small stair huffing and puffing and having kneepains wasn't healthy anymore. At that time the scale screamed in agony when i was standing on it. I weighed 132kg ~ 291 lbs.

So after a year of losing some weight I decided to start riding a road bike. And biking went well. In the years to come i lost some more weight and had some great accomplishments on my bike. I did some couple Time Trials and some randonneur bike trips (long distance trips). I once even finished a 24h solo race clocking in at 705km ~ 438 miles all by myself. (And still very proud of it!) All in all I really like biking and I think of myself as being good too in TT's and long distances. I really love climbing mountains but I carry to much mass to be good at it but I don't care. Nothing can compare to the feeling of riding up a mountain with steep roads and after hours of pushing those pedals relentlessly, seeing those last meters and finally arriving at the top.

But then i startd living together with the misses, boguht a house, got a kid and changed work. And bye bye free sports time and hello fat. :D The last year i tried with moderate succes to get back into shape. I've changed work for 2 years now, the kid is getting older and more self dependant and now i've made up my mind that 2014 has to be the turning point. I looked at what was possible. And allthough my first love is biking, it's hard to train 3 times a week on a road bike. It takes too much time and it's insane trying to train at night.

In 2013 I already started to run now and then. And sometimes a swimming session here and there. I was surprised to see that my swimming technique is far from perfect, but way better then most people. In fact when i compared my swimming times untrained over 1000meter ~ 0.625mile, i saw far from last on recreational triathlons. And when i noticed running gave me a quick condition boost with just 2*30minute run a week, I thought why not try triathlon?

So a few months back i started reading up and started doing some training and today I discovered this site so here I am, applying to this group hoping I may join :D

FAMILY STATUS: Not married (yet), 1 kid (Kasper, the sometimes not so friendly ghost).

CURRENT TRAINING: Running - biking - swimming. My biggest challenge in preparing for a triathlon is combining very irregular working hours with my partners health condition. She has, to this day, spasmophilia and something else which doctors can't seem to find even after 4 years of extensive research. This means I try to be at home in my free time as much as possible when the kid is not in school or taking a long nap. So in the weekend my training moments are really not that much.

So far 2-3 runs, 1 swim and sometimes 1 bike training is what i can get max. But I do have to admit that with a little bit more motivation 3 runs, 2 swims and 1 bike training should be possible.

I'm a very bad runner though. Thats why my main focus is (and should be I think) running a lot. 2-3 runs a week may not look like a lot of running for most of you, but over the last few weeks/months i can say this is the first time i ran more then 10 times in less then 10 years. My running time now is about 5m50/km ~ 9.22m/mile. When i go out running, I mostly just run 11km ~7 miles at a steady pace. I recently finished a 8.5km - 5.4miles race in 44:25 which made me very happy. Last sunday and monday i actually ran 7 km and the day after 11 km without getting hammered the day after. That was my first succes of the year 2014 :D

At swimming in a 25m - 82ft long swimming pool, i swim 1.6km ~ 1 mile in around 37 minutes

I train mostly by HRM when running though i have to admit i don't let it be too restrictive. When biking i try to keep a high cadence and do watch my HR a bit but then I'm mostly going on feeling. I know how my body feels and what my limits are on bike. I know keeping track of HR all the time when running and biking would really take the fun out of sport. I sport for fun, i'm not a pro.

For swimming i made up 4 different sessions with lots of variety. I got it from a triathlon book from a famous coach here in Belgium, and adapted it a bit to my needs. Later on, i'll try and post it in the group so maybe someone can helop and improve them even more! Swimming with a training plan is more fun then expected.

2014 RACES: 2014 will be a special year!! For starters me and some colleagues are going for a 3 day biking trip to the Mont Ventoux in May. But i'm not really working in that direction. My real goal is an OD tri in the beginning of July. Seeing I should have already a lot of training and some weight loss, the bike trip doesn't worry me. And on the 14th of June i'm getting married followed with a 2 week honeymoon, which actually will give me 2 weeks with A LOT of training seeing we are leavign the kid with my parents (I love my parents!!!! ;-))

Maybe when all goes well, i'll add another race in the end of August/september.

2015 RACES: HIM, definately!!

WEIGHTLOSS: Yes, please!! I love eating! I really do! There is so much good stuff to eat! Part of the reason i try to get back into sport is just about that: Getting to eat an extra dessert without having to feel guilty. I'm not interested in having sub 7% of fat. But I do realize finishing a triathlon and especially getting better running times really requires me to loose some weight. In the past, I managed to ride as much as 15.000km ~9320 miles on my bike in one year. I used to weigh 205 lbs. I love my body then. Still chubby but with a good set of muscles laying just below that layer of fat. My goal is to reach 90kg ~ 198lbs.

I have to say I also like to talk/type to much, so don't feel bad if you don't feel like reading everything :D If you want to know more of me, ask! Maybe i'll try to upload some pictures of myself too. I always find it more fun on the net if you can put a face on someones nickname (and because i want to show that "I'm not fat, I'm just bigboned" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX_xgoo4IBMLOL)
2014-01-15 6:24 AM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Originally posted by Tridimi

NAME: Tridimi - Dimitri

ABOUT ME: I'm 1m90 ~ 6ft and 23 inches and weighing about 99.4kg ~ 219.14 lbs. I just turned 31. I live in Belgium, Kortrijk (yes, very worldwide known city ;-)) Allthough i'm a complete newbie to the tri-world, I do have some history of sports. I have been a "competitive" swimmer from the age of 9 till 12. After that, i switched to water-polo untill i was 18 and quit sports alltogether and got fat. After a few years getting even fatter, i decided at the age of 22 that running up a small stair huffing and puffing and having kneepains wasn't healthy anymore. At that time the scale screamed in agony when i was standing on it. I weighed 132kg ~ 291 lbs.

So after a year of losing some weight I decided to start riding a road bike. And biking went well. In the years to come i lost some more weight and had some great accomplishments on my bike. I did some couple Time Trials and some randonneur bike trips (long distance trips). I once even finished a 24h solo race clocking in at 705km ~ 438 miles all by myself. (And still very proud of it!) All in all I really like biking and I think of myself as being good too in TT's and long distances. I really love climbing mountains but I carry to much mass to be good at it but I don't care. Nothing can compare to the feeling of riding up a mountain with steep roads and after hours of pushing those pedals relentlessly, seeing those last meters and finally arriving at the top.

But then i startd living together with the misses, boguht a house, got a kid and changed work. And bye bye free sports time and hello fat. :D The last year i tried with moderate succes to get back into shape. I've changed work for 2 years now, the kid is getting older and more self dependant and now i've made up my mind that 2014 has to be the turning point. I looked at what was possible. And allthough my first love is biking, it's hard to train 3 times a week on a road bike. It takes too much time and it's insane trying to train at night.

In 2013 I already started to run now and then. And sometimes a swimming session here and there. I was surprised to see that my swimming technique is far from perfect, but way better then most people. In fact when i compared my swimming times untrained over 1000meter ~ 0.625mile, i saw far from last on recreational triathlons. And when i noticed running gave me a quick condition boost with just 2*30minute run a week, I thought why not try triathlon?

So a few months back i started reading up and started doing some training and today I discovered this site so here I am, applying to this group hoping I may join :D

FAMILY STATUS: Not married (yet), 1 kid (Kasper, the sometimes not so friendly ghost).

CURRENT TRAINING: Running - biking - swimming. My biggest challenge in preparing for a triathlon is combining very irregular working hours with my partners health condition. She has, to this day, spasmophilia and something else which doctors can't seem to find even after 4 years of extensive research. This means I try to be at home in my free time as much as possible when the kid is not in school or taking a long nap. So in the weekend my training moments are really not that much.

So far 2-3 runs, 1 swim and sometimes 1 bike training is what i can get max. But I do have to admit that with a little bit more motivation 3 runs, 2 swims and 1 bike training should be possible.

I'm a very bad runner though. Thats why my main focus is (and should be I think) running a lot. 2-3 runs a week may not look like a lot of running for most of you, but over the last few weeks/months i can say this is the first time i ran more then 10 times in less then 10 years. My running time now is about 5m50/km ~ 9.22m/mile. When i go out running, I mostly just run 11km ~7 miles at a steady pace. I recently finished a 8.5km - 5.4miles race in 44:25 which made me very happy. Last sunday and monday i actually ran 7 km and the day after 11 km without getting hammered the day after. That was my first succes of the year 2014 :D

At swimming in a 25m - 82ft long swimming pool, i swim 1.6km ~ 1 mile in around 37 minutes

I train mostly by HRM when running though i have to admit i don't let it be too restrictive. When biking i try to keep a high cadence and do watch my HR a bit but then I'm mostly going on feeling. I know how my body feels and what my limits are on bike. I know keeping track of HR all the time when running and biking would really take the fun out of sport. I sport for fun, i'm not a pro.

For swimming i made up 4 different sessions with lots of variety. I got it from a triathlon book from a famous coach here in Belgium, and adapted it a bit to my needs. Later on, i'll try and post it in the group so maybe someone can helop and improve them even more! Swimming with a training plan is more fun then expected.

2014 RACES: 2014 will be a special year!! For starters me and some colleagues are going for a 3 day biking trip to the Mont Ventoux in May. But i'm not really working in that direction. My real goal is an OD tri in the beginning of July. Seeing I should have already a lot of training and some weight loss, the bike trip doesn't worry me. And on the 14th of June i'm getting married followed with a 2 week honeymoon, which actually will give me 2 weeks with A LOT of training seeing we are leavign the kid with my parents (I love my parents!!!! ;-))

Maybe when all goes well, i'll add another race in the end of August/september.

2015 RACES: HIM, definately!!

WEIGHTLOSS: Yes, please!! I love eating! I really do! There is so much good stuff to eat! Part of the reason i try to get back into sport is just about that: Getting to eat an extra dessert without having to feel guilty. I'm not interested in having sub 7% of fat. But I do realize finishing a triathlon and especially getting better running times really requires me to loose some weight. In the past, I managed to ride as much as 15.000km ~9320 miles on my bike in one year. I used to weigh 205 lbs. I love my body then. Still chubby but with a good set of muscles laying just below that layer of fat. My goal is to reach 90kg ~ 198lbs.

I have to say I also like to talk/type to much, so don't feel bad if you don't feel like reading everything :D If you want to know more of me, ask! Maybe i'll try to upload some pictures of myself too. I always find it more fun on the net if you can put a face on someones nickname (and because i want to show that "I'm not fat, I'm just bigboned" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX_xgoo4IBMLOL)

Welcome Dimitri, you've got quite a story. Congratulations on the weight loss as well as the cycling. I've been known to eat dessert before dinner as well as after (yes, I like to eat too). It can be a challenge to train consistently, especially with work and family commitments.
2014-01-15 7:21 AM

User image

Subject: Feeling Positive about Swim

One  of my goals is to think positively about my efforts and not compare myself to others or get down about what I cannot do. With this in mind I will share that I was completely proud of myself for being able to swim for 23 minutes without stopping this morning! This is a big accomplishment for me and was what my training plan asked me to do so I feel successful! When I got tired, I switched to my weak attempt at a breaststroke or the side stroke to catch my breath a bit. I am also proud that I was able to alternate my breathing - breathing to the right for 25 yards, and then to the left for 25 yards. I have never tried this before and while breathing to the left was uncomfortable I did it! It is nice to head in to my day feeling proud of myself.

And now a strange question - is the only way to post in our thread to reply to someone? I apologize if I did this wrong but I couldn't figure it out! I think I may have replied to something someone else wrote but that was the only way I could see to put in a message. Still trying to figure out the ins and outs of the website.

2014-01-15 7:56 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Subject: RE: Feeling Positive about Swim

One  of my goals is to think positively about my efforts and not compare myself to others or get down about what I cannot do. With this in mind I will share that I was completely proud of myself for being able to swim for 23 minutes without stopping this morning! This is a big accomplishment for me and was what my training plan asked me to do so I feel successful! When I got tired, I switched to my weak attempt at a breaststroke or the side stroke to catch my breath a bit. I am also proud that I was able to alternate my breathing - breathing to the right for 25 yards, and then to the left for 25 yards. I have never tried this before and while breathing to the left was uncomfortable I did it! It is nice to head in to my day feeling proud of myself.

And now a strange question - is the only way to post in our thread to reply to someone? I apologize if I did this wrong but I couldn't figure it out! I think I may have replied to something someone else wrote but that was the only way I could see to put in a message. Still trying to figure out the ins and outs of the website.

everyone has different goals Ann, not to compare but I have only just started swimming again and by the time I have down 6 lengths (300m) my breathing becomes erratic and I take do downing a funny kind of doggy paddle until I can go again. I am a big believer in not stopping be it whatever im doing, when I did my long runs for Marathon training 16+ miles I had to walk for a while but I had to keep on moving.

reply is the best button to tell us about what your upto, if you wish to reply to something somebody has said you can use the Quote button and delete anything in their quote nonapplicable to what you want to reply to.

I track all my exercises in my training log, if you click on my name then on training log it will take you there and you can leave separate messages ( inspire ). this is great for keeping each other motivated
2014-01-15 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Ann, I like this goal!  You're going to be a good protege! 

You should be proud of what you've done.  (BTW, I "fixed" your post in the quote above.)   Bilateral breathing takes time to learn and overcome the "uncomfortable" feeling. 

You're doing exactly right with posting.  If you click "quote" it includes a copy of the post that you are on.  If you click "reply" it starts you with a blank post that is added to the thread. 

2014-01-15 12:32 PM

User image

Welcome to the group Mike. Congratulations on making some very positive lifestyle changes. I think the rest of the group would be interested in more of your story. What did you do to lose weight? I'd be interested in how you feel now compared to how you felt then. How does what I wrote about what Matt wants to do compare to your own story (note to all of you...you have as much to contribute to these discussions as I do...so pipe up!)?

As for cycling, what types of riding do you really want to do? You can do a triathlon on about any bicycle, it doesn't have to be the latest and lightest carbon fiber and titanium device known to mankind. (I did my first two triathlons on a steel-frame mountain bike, and rode an old road bike to a 20+mph bike split in my only HIM.) Road bikes get expensive in a hurry, with entry level bikes starting at about $700 and increasing to quite obscene amounts quickly! In addition to the bike, you'll find yourself buying shoes, helmet, saddle bag, tools, computer, spare tubes, etc. That $700 road bike will cost you $1000 by the time you get everything else (and a pair or two of bike shorts). Oh...and you'll always want one more bike...

As far as the type of cycling, I think its really simple at this point. I would stick to the roads and I don't have a real desire to mountain bike. I think a road bike is the way to go. The problem is I don't want to dump a whole lotta money at this if I am only going to do 1 race and not like it. I would start of with a good used bike in the 200 dollar range and get the basics (helmet, shorts, water bottle, tool kit, etc...) I will be fine. Like I said the bike is going to be my weak link.

As far as my weight loss, my basic principals are:
Eat foods with no added fat (some unsaturated fat, ABSOLUTELY NO SATURATED FAT)
Eat foods with no added sugar
Lower your carbohydrate intake to a reasonable number (for a adult male 240-300 grams a day)

If anyone needs to lose weight, the best thing you can do is become a food label reader. Pay close attention to the servings size and servings per container. Food makers play some pretty funny games to make their stuff look OK. The best resources out there for losing weight are Weight Watchers and the American Diabetes Association. It wasn't until I found out I had Diabetes that I realized what an epidemic it is in the USA. 1 in 10 have it and another 1 in 10 have it and don't know it. Diabetes is one of the single biggest killer of people directly or indirectly. Your risk of stroke increases 6 fold, heart attack 4 fold, gum disease, vascular disease, the list goes on. To be honest with everyone, it scared the hell out of me.

After losing all of the weight, I'm down to 185 Lbs, 10 lighter than my High school graduation weight. I feel TREMENDOUS! I have more energy, I sleep much better at night, I have more energy when I wake up. I'm not out of breath walking around my yard anymore. I exercise 6 hours a week and want to do more (why I want to start training for a Tri).

The best advice I have about dieting is this: Don't punish yourself. At your starting weight your body actually needs more energy to carry around the excess weight. Most dieters start at eating carrots and celery all day, by the 3rd day, they are right back where they were eating the same foods. I went to WebMD and used their BMI (Body Mass Index) calculator and answered the questions HONESTLY. It will tell you where you stand (my starting BMI was 38.8 (40 is morbidly obese). It will tell you how many calories you need to consume in a day to lose weight and to maintain. As you lose weight, your consumption needs to decrease as your body needs less energy to move around and function.
Another resource is many municipalities and hospitals offer wellness classes that are covered by health insurance. Even if you don't have diabetes, take a living with diabetes class. Then you will take classes on proper nutrition, exercise, and will monitor your weight. My class even offered a 1 hour session with a nutritionist who helped me with a starting diet and I ran with it from there.

Anyway that's my story. If anyone wants advice, I will certainly be willing to help.
2014-01-15 12:40 PM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

Originally posted by Jynxy

just a quick question Mike,

when was the last time you went to see your doctor ?, you say you have been doing some exercising but if you have had a history of HBP you really should get checked regularly or have you got the all clear

I went and saw my doctor about 2 1/2 months ago. She originally put on Lisinopril 5 mg. After I lost about 75 pounds I started getting light headed when getting up from lying down or sitting. My BP was too low and causing a sudden loss of blood from my brain. I still take it, but 2 a week simply for protection of my kidneys with the diabetes (my kidneys filter out more glucose that a non diabetic). My BP is now 104/72 as of this morning (yes, I monitor at home). What a difference! I can actually feel much less tension in my body. proper diet and exercise can and do make a huge difference.
2014-01-15 12:57 PM

User image

Originally posted by Shrekrcr

That's Great, Mike! How did you lose all that weight?

Matt

As McFuzz said, the Matt of the past is just that:PAST! You coming on this forum, just like myself, we both want to get better and make a difference in our lives!

See my post back to McFuzz, as to the basics of the weight loss, but there is always more to the story. If you want I can tell you more, I new to the forum as well but i think if you click on my username you will be able to message me. Once again, the best advice is this: Don't punish yourself!
Eat well, start to exercise at a level your comfortable with (get the heart rate to 120-130 BPM). On a treadmill that means you can carry on a conversation with fragmented short sentences. If you can carry on a cell phone conversation, your not working out ;-)

Again, once the weight starts flying off and you get past 10% of your start weight, you will notice a difference in how you feel and how you look. Having your wife comment on how hot you look doesn't hurt either. My wife tells me everyday! My mother in-law asked me " Do you get tired of the comments about how good you look?" My answer is NO, and HELL NO!

The only major drawback to losing weight is the cost of a new wardrobe. McFuzz mentioned the new suit. It's funny he mentioned that because I just purchased a new custom tailored suit as a treat to myself when I was just in Hong Kong for work. New pants, jacket and tailored shirt with a silk tie. Looks bad ! Just make sure you don't throw out your old clothes, donate them ;-)
2014-01-15 1:05 PM

User image

Hi All,

I hope you have a little more room in the group. I'm also signed up in another group, but they are much more technical and pro, and very encouraging, but really at a different level than I am generally.

Me:
Nancy/el penguino

Story: I'm just 44 in 9 days (New Years Eve). This will be my first (of hopefully many) year of triathlons. A true newbie slowly getting into shape! I was kind of sporty up through high school. I swam on a small local swim team for a couple years as a little kid, played soccer all through high school. Always kind of middle of the back at best. After college, my brother conned me into playing ultimate frisbee, which I loved, and is how I met my husband. I ran a marathon way back in about 1998 ish, the Marine Corps Marathon. I've been kind of a slug since then, until this spring. I started the C25K this spring, got running and lost a bunch of weight. My boss at work started doing triathlons and got me interested in trying one myself. I'm slow in pretty much everything, but I'm really good at plodding on and on and on. I'm hoping to complete a half marathon and some sprints this summer.

Family: I've been married for 13 years this January (yesterday!) to a way too smart physics professor, and have 2 great and super smart boys, 6 and 11.They have their father's brains and keep us and their teachers on their toes making sure they are actually challenged in their school work. I'm hoping they get the idea that being active is a great thing from me! I also have 4 siblings, and lots of nieces and nephews.

Training: I'm not sure how much time I'm spending right now, let's say 7 hours. I'm focused on building my run base back a bit as I had a bit of an overuse injury in November. I pushed my distance a little too fast and got a very sore hip. I took a lot of November off for that to heal and for another non-sports related medical thing to get sorted out. Then I did a Holiday Streak running every day. Now I'm running every day slowly and swimming 3 times a week, or at least trying too. My run mileage is based on the BarryP method, and my swim I'm kind of cobbling together at the moment as I try to build some endurance there too. I just started with a swim coach to work on my technique- my birthday present to myself. The bike will come back out once I can ride better outside- in Vermont, riding in the winter is a bit of a challenge, and my swim and run could use the focus!

2014-
Covered Bridge Half Marathon at the beginning of June
2-3 Sprints over the summer
really slim chance of running a marathon in the fall.
Turkey Trot 5K

2013 Season:
Turkey Trot 5K (38 minutes, and I have every intention of doing a lot better this year!)

Weightloss: I lost about 50 pounds over the spring and summer, have put about 10 back on with having Nov. off and the holidays. I was at 190, went down to under 140, and am now hovering around 150. I want to get back below 140, and we'll see after that!

Equipment: I have good running shoes, a decent swimsuit, and beat up road bike that works for now. My husband and I are trying to find me a better road bike; I did a lot of riding back and forth to work last summer, and really want to get a decent light bike- the one I ride now is kind of a hybrid- thick tires, heavy frame. We just bought a frame for a bike I'm going name Frankenbike.
2014-01-15 1:09 PM

Hi, my name is Rita and I think this group would be a good fit for me!

I'm 27 years old, a type 1 diabetic (very well controlled, insulin pump), work a non-traditional schedule in law enforcement, and live in Chicago. I've never completed a triathlon, or any type of race, for that matter...but in hopes of finding something to motivate and challenge myself, I've signed up for the Chicago Triathlon, as well as a couple of sprints leading up to it for this upcoming season.

I'm a competitive swimmer (high school, college, and on-and-off-again Masters). But I've never completed a running race, and I *just* acquired my first non-mountain bike.

I'm a newbie in every sense of the word...but I'm incredibly dedicated to my new goals, I'm just looking for a little guidance and wisdom, as well as a push in the right direction.

Looking forward to interacting and sharing with you all!

2014-01-15 2:26 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Ann, thats great!! I like to think of that myself. I set goals out for myself, not for anyone else. Besides, doing sports should be about having fun and pushing your own limits how big or small they may be.

2014-01-15 3:22 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by el penguino Hi All, I hope you have a little more room in the group. I'm also signed up in another group, but they are much more technical and pro, and very encouraging, but really at a different level than I am generally. Me: Nancy/el penguino Story: I'm just 44 in 9 days (New Years Eve). This will be my first (of hopefully many) year of triathlons. A true newbie slowly getting into shape! I was kind of sporty up through high school. I swam on a small local swim team for a couple years as a little kid, played soccer all through high school. Always kind of middle of the back at best. After college, my brother conned me into playing ultimate frisbee, which I loved, and is how I met my husband. I ran a marathon way back in about 1998 ish, the Marine Corps Marathon. I've been kind of a slug since then, until this spring. I started the C25K this spring, got running and lost a bunch of weight. My boss at work started doing triathlons and got me interested in trying one myself. I'm slow in pretty much everything, but I'm really good at plodding on and on and on. I'm hoping to complete a half marathon and some sprints this summer. Family: I've been married for 13 years this January (yesterday!) to a way too smart physics professor, and have 2 great and super smart boys, 6 and 11.They have their father's brains and keep us and their teachers on their toes making sure they are actually challenged in their school work. I'm hoping they get the idea that being active is a great thing from me! I also have 4 siblings, and lots of nieces and nephews. Training: I'm not sure how much time I'm spending right now, let's say 7 hours. I'm focused on building my run base back a bit as I had a bit of an overuse injury in November. I pushed my distance a little too fast and got a very sore hip. I took a lot of November off for that to heal and for another non-sports related medical thing to get sorted out. Then I did a Holiday Streak running every day. Now I'm running every day slowly and swimming 3 times a week, or at least trying too. My run mileage is based on the BarryP method, and my swim I'm kind of cobbling together at the moment as I try to build some endurance there too. I just started with a swim coach to work on my technique- my birthday present to myself. The bike will come back out once I can ride better outside- in Vermont, riding in the winter is a bit of a challenge, and my swim and run could use the focus! 2014- Covered Bridge Half Marathon at the beginning of June 2-3 Sprints over the summer really slim chance of running a marathon in the fall. Turkey Trot 5K 2013 Season: Turkey Trot 5K (38 minutes, and I have every intention of doing a lot better this year!) Weightloss: I lost about 50 pounds over the spring and summer, have put about 10 back on with having Nov. off and the holidays. I was at 190, went down to under 140, and am now hovering around 150. I want to get back below 140, and we'll see after that! Equipment: I have good running shoes, a decent swimsuit, and beat up road bike that works for now. My husband and I are trying to find me a better road bike; I did a lot of riding back and forth to work last summer, and really want to get a decent light bike- the one I ride now is kind of a hybrid- thick tires, heavy frame. We just bought a frame for a bike I'm going name Frankenbike.

Welcome Nancy! 

Be careful about bikes, there is ALWAYS a better bike out there and many triathletes are compelled to try finding it! 

2014-01-15 3:24 PM
in reply to: rita.trifonopoulos

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by rita.trifonopoulos Hi, my name is Rita and I think this group would be a good fit for me! I'm 27 years old, a type 1 diabetic (very well controlled, insulin pump), work a non-traditional schedule in law enforcement, and live in Chicago. I've never completed a triathlon, or any type of race, for that matter...but in hopes of finding something to motivate and challenge myself, I've signed up for the Chicago Triathlon, as well as a couple of sprints leading up to it for this upcoming season. I'm a competitive swimmer (high school, college, and on-and-off-again Masters). But I've never completed a running race, and I *just* acquired my first non-mountain bike. I'm a newbie in every sense of the word...but I'm incredibly dedicated to my new goals, I'm just looking for a little guidance and wisdom, as well as a push in the right direction. Looking forward to interacting and sharing with you all!

Thank you for joining the group Rita.  There are a few triathletes with diabetes on BT, so feel free to seek them out and ask them questions. 

2014-01-15 3:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Welcome Nancy! 

Be careful about bikes, there is ALWAYS a better bike out there and many triathletes are compelled to try finding it! 

This I know!! Luckily or not, DH is pretty good about not jumping a the next best thing- he really is a bit on the old school when it comes to bikes!

Edited by el penguino 2014-01-15 3:30 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37035 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.