General Discussion Race Reports! » Paul Bunyan Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Paul Bunyan Triathlon - Long Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bemidji, Minnesota
United States
Front Runner
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at CBs family cabin in Blackduck overnight with 5 others.Slept OK--woke up in middle of night to use outhouse but fell asleep again/ Had a 40 min drive to start. Got up at 5:00am and were out of there just before 6 am. Had a greek yogurt and banana for b-fast. Abbreviated morning routine, but that was fine.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike some to get the legs moving. Good call. My legs weren't so weird feeling on the swim. We got there in plenty of time, but I had to quick get my wetsuit on to get going on time.
Swim
  • 31m 33s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a tough swim bc of the choppy water. I thought I might be sea sick since I was up and down esp on the way out. On the way back it wasn't like we got pushed in, but at least it wasn't as rough. I didn't get caught in a scrum with others because I was kinda late to start.
It was possible to touch bottom until the second buoy! ANd some people were walking it as fast as I was swimming it.
Thought I must be very slow, bc it felt like I was barely moving in the choppy water, but actually I did fine.
What would you do differently?:

Wetsuit on and swim warm-up well in advance of the gun.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Pretty good transition for me bc it was so close to the swim exit and the trans area was so small.

Woozy after the choppy swim, which made me feel like I was putzing but actually ok.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 19s
  • 21.5 miles
  • 19.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I worked it hard because I felt like I was so slow on the swim, tho not too bad. I was moving well on the way out in spite of the wind.

Probably nothing. COuld not eat on the bike. I had chews but I just didn't bother. Ate a banana close to the race so it was OK. Also I made a stronger drink concentration than usual so I just figured that would be fine. Drank the bottle before I got off the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Not bad.
Run
  • 47m 25s
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

My gum dissolved right away so I didn't have that which can be tough for me. It was fine bc it was a pretty cool and overcast day so I didn't feel too parched.. Had a good run for me. Didn't bonk even tho I hadn't eaten on the bike. Enough Skratch labs concentration that I think I was OK as a result. Drank a little water at each opportunity (3 stops) A little sloshing. No cramps, just a little knee stuff--which I'm pretty sure is a result of an off balance sacrum which chiro is working on.

It was pretty average. First longer run this year at 5 miles instead of 5 k, so pace was slower.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing--kinda sorry for that later since it was a long drive back. Ate three packs of chips after the race. Waited for awards. My first podium at a triathlon and everyone in our group won their division. Lunch at Bridit's Pub, which was really good. Walked around Bemidji and then drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hoped to break 2:30 and I did by about 2 minutes.
This was my best overall performance all season and definitely best swim and bike. Stayed positive, really worked the bike well.
Also no cramping at all in legs. I really think the Skratch Labs everyday mix is doing it because that is the only thing I changed.

Event comments:

I liked it. RD was a little flighty--changed the swim wave schedule right before it started. Ended the meeting and right to the gun after which was disorienting. But it was a good time, a good vibe. Small race especially the long course. A lot of small races do 10 year age groups, but this was beginner friendly and lots of awards given which contributed to a friendly atmosphere.

Last updated: 2013-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:33 | 1760 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: LS vortex
Course: Two loops straight out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:19 | 21.5 miles | 19.75 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A kind of confusing early part of the course. It seemed like it was different from the map but maybe not.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:25 | 05 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Average
I think it was actually a 9:29 pace.
Course: Pretty flat thru the campus and over the bridge. Just little up and downs to keep it interesting. Long downhill into the finish which made you feel strong. Long course run through an art fair was a little like an obstacle course. There were few of us on the long course so most people probably never knew we were racing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-01-01 5:48 PM

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Subject: Paul Bunyan Triathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Paul Bunyan Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Paul Bunyan Triathlon - Short Course

Started by GotBackup
Views: 1132 Posts: 1

2013-07-29 4:09 PM GotBackup

Paul Bunyan Triathlon - Short Course

Started by GotBackup
Views: 1268 Posts: 4

2012-07-26 2:23 PM BikerGrrrl

Paul Bunyan Long Course

Started by KathyG
Views: 2270 Posts: 18

2010-08-08 4:06 PM maureen

Paul Bunyan Triathlon Short Course

Started by Kevin G
Views: 1664 Posts: 6

2010-08-04 10:14 PM KathyG

Paul Bunyan Long Course

Started by rhvonlehe
Views: 1115 Posts: 1

2009-07-26 11:13 PM rhvonlehe
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.