BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-01-02 4:54 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

WELCOME to the Mad Manatees! We are all mentors and mentees, which sounds like manatees--hence our name.

IMPORTANT: All experience levels and goals welcome. We have beginners, multiple-iron finishers, folks at the highest levels of endurance sport, and everyone in between. Our training philosophies, gear, and methods are similarly varied. What we share is a commitment to health--physical, social, mental, spiritual, nutritional, et-al--and to each other. Every edition of the Manatees (13th season now?) is a very active group. Please check in (even to admit you're procrastinating or overwhelmed) and be passionate about health through sport. Keeping up your training log here on BT and opening it to other group members is mandatory. (If you don't know how, we'll help you set up). We know how BT works and how to guide you through its wealth of resources.

AS ALWAYS, ALL FORMER MANATEES ARE WELCOME AT ANY TIME.

I'm TriAya/Yanti, random pod herder, but we all offer support and whatever relevant information and experience we have.

TO JOIN, PLEASE REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE (include or later add bio ASAP). Bio: whatever you want from format below/what you want us to know.

We believe the journey is the reward, and look forward to having you as a fellow traveler. 

NAME: What you're actually called.
STORY: Who you are, why you want to triathlon, any athletic background/none
FAMILY STATUS: Family situation (single/partnered/family/pets)
CURRENT TRAINING: If/how you have been training so far
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: If any
2013 RACES/EVENTS: If any
BODY COMPOSITION: any reshaping achievements or goals (weight reduction or otherwise)

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2014-01-13 10:49 PM

2014-01-02 5:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014--OPEN

YANTI (TriAya)

Growing up in Indonesia, I swam with national and high school teams. In the U.S, I coached/competed/won in martial arts (both traditional and sport fighting) at the world level, but after an injury became sedentary and eventually morbidly obese. Fast forward … a student suckered me into doing a charity marathon—then I learned how to ride a bike and picked swimming back up! After 15 years in the States, I've been back in Indonesia for 4.5 years, mostly on the paradise island of Bali. Triathlon and endurance sports here have exploded in these years and it's been tremendous to be part of that, as a competitor, coach, and organizer.

Family status: I'm 37, partnered with Kingsley Bugarin OAM (a world-class swimmer/parathlete/community service guy), have a black Lab smarter than I am and trains the other dog and cats to outsmart me, too. We call it the Funny Farm. My dad passed away last year so I spend a lot of time in Jakarta (capital, 1.5hr plane flight from Bali), helping my mom out (she has Alzheimer's) and holding the family business together. My third city of residence is Perth, with Kingsley (who also comes to Indonesia often).

Current training: General base training for long-course tri and open water later in the year. I eat vegan whole-foods when training (not racing or recovery).

2013 Races: IM New Zealand (DNF), some 10K runs, Bali Tri, Bali 10K Ocean Swim, IM Japan (DNF), IM Western Australia, Hillarys Sprint Tri, Bali Aquathlon

2014 Races:
February - V Fremantle Adventure Race (swim bike run paddle run)
March - Batam International Triathlon (probably Oly distance), Batam Cycling Tour (60-100km)
March/April - couple of 10K ocean swims
May - Bintan International Triathlon (may sherpa for people I'm coaching instead), Tour de Bali (200km cycling)
June - Bali Half Marathon
July - Bali 10K Ocean Swim
September - IM Malaysia
December - IM Western Australia

I'm sure I'll be adding a bunch more races as they come up.

Body Composition: I'm down about 140lbs from my peak weight, but I've been down more, and I'd like to be again (especially for long-course racing!)

Experience, Encouragement, Empathy, and Extreme Fun are what I offer you! I've done dozens of endurance races all over the world. I was a researcher, writer/editor, and headquarters trainer for a global fitness and sports company for several years, so I'm pretty keyed into sports physiology and endurance coaching. I have the dubious distinction of being BT's top poster, but I also read all the forum threads, BT news, articles, programs, lots of blogs, and other endurance forums, books, news, and research. Am currently in training to be a certified Open Water swim coach and race official.

Edited by TriAya 2014-01-02 6:10 AM
2014-01-02 6:43 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Name - cdban66/Chris

STORY: I had been somewhat athletic in High School, playing soccer, beach volleyball and basketball, but that was a long time ago. Marriage, two children, business ownership, and the general busyness of life just got in the way. A number of years back I began going to the gym, lifting weights and such. Then, in late July, 2010, we had a family weight loss challenge. In order to lose (BTW, I did win the challenge), I began running. My youngest daughter suggested we run a race at Walt Disney World, so I began to prep for that and my oldest sister joined in as well. Before that race had happened, I began looking for more challenge/diversity, since I was enjoying the training. I had a friend who had been in tri’s a while back, he gave me his old bike and it grew from there. Now I try to race a few times a year and have begun to consider longer races in my future

STATUS: I am a 6’3”, 47 yr old male and I've been married for nearly 27 years. I have 2 girls, ages 23 and 25. My wife, Ann or TW (THE Wife), is the most wonderful person a man could have in his life and has been very supportive of this addition to my lifestyle.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently in a run focus stage, but in about mid February, after a trail race, I will move to all 3 sports. I have found that I really enjoy trail running, so part of my training is done there whenever possible. As well, I have begun to occasionally add more intensity to running and biking. This has brought on a better focus to recovery as well, and as I get a bit older, I realize the importance of the entire process, not solely the training. More than anything else, this has been about changing to a less sedentary lifestyle.

LAST YEAR: 2012 and 2013 were skinny racing, or should I say participating, years. I did a couple of races, but family obligations (there were many) took precedence, as they always do. My hope is to see time improvements from last year, especially in the run, and advances in my overall endurance fitness.

2013 RACES: I PR'd my HM in March. That was followed by a couple of sprints during the summer, a pretty good bike crash in the middle of a July race was the lowlight. I pretty much stopped racing by September.

2014 races: Flatwoods Ramble 10 mile trail run in Feb., Sarasota Half Marathon relay with my sis in March. Probably about 3 or 4 sprints in the summer, then something longer at the end of the season. All this is very soft and I have started to look at the calendar and firm it all up.

BODY COMP: As I mentioned above, this all started as part of a family weight loss challenge. I started at 240 lbs. At my lowest I had reached 207, which felt low for me. Currently I am about 225, with a goal weight of 210+/- for race season.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MANATEE: I am not the fastest, but I am supportive, upbeat, and really do want to be a better triathlete. I am starting a single speed/fixie bike build in January, with the intention of learning more on the mechanical side. I have an eye towards a tri bike build in the future. And I recently recieved a Timex Global Trainer, so I have a learning curve on the gadget side of things. I read logs for info and motivation, post a bit (not as much as Yanti) and you will likely receive an "Inspire" or 2 from me every week.

2014-01-02 8:16 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

NAME: Your jmkizer / Janyne

STORY:  I'm 45, married with one dog, Emma.  We live near Raleigh, NC.  I've lived in the Raleigh area since 1990.  Before that I lived, in order of appearance, in Newfoundland; Milwaukee; Wappingers Falls, NY; Waterloo, IA; Ramsey, NJ; and Shippensburg, PA.  I ran cross country in high school and college and then "took a break."  You know, got married, stopped paying attention to my weight, etc.  Then someone gave me a picture of me and my dog.  I looked at it and tried to identify that fat person with my beautiful puppy!  No way!  Started riding bikes.  Stopped eating junk. Started riding bikes a lot.  Decided to run some.  Joined a gym with a pool and decided that I should swim too…  Now I'm looking forward to my fourth iron distance event!

FAMILY STATUS:  Married with one dog.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Run focused at the moment!

2013 RACES/EVENTS:

Myrtle Beach Marathon
Gator Half tri
Kerr Lake Olympic distance tri
Lake Logan Opympic distance tri
BikeMS double century
Beach2Battleship iron distance tri
Ridgewoord Turkey Trot 8k

RACES/EVENTS PLANNED FOR 2014

Myrtle Beach Marathon
Ironman Chattanooga

2014-01-02 8:59 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
MtnBikerChk/MBC/Randee

Background: Played softball as a kid and through high school and have been skiing since I was 10. But generally did enough to get by. After I graduated college I met a guy who got me into mountain biking. He moved to another state and left me with my mountain bike. It took me a long time to get any good at it! In my mid 30s I got a road bike and started to do a lot of charity rides (middle distance) and by my late 30s I was interested in doing a few relay sprint tris. By the time I was 39 my husband had become a marathon runner and I was bored just sitting and watching so I decided to start running. Of course, too much too soon led to injury which left me with nothing left to do but swim. Spring of 2013 I turned 40 and decided "what the heck I'll give it a go." 10 Tris later (6 off road and 4 on road) here I am. I'm calling this my MID LIFE CRISIS.

Family status: Married for 12 years with 3 fur kids - 1 greyhound and 2 cats. We lost our first greyhound to osteosarcoma last March and it still stings. She was 11.

Current training: I'm half heartedly doing an off season program until March when I'll kick it into high gear. I'm an accountant so February - April are usually very tough on me physically and emotionally. All I can do is hope I come out the other side without losing too much fitness. I went though 2013 without any real kind of training plan and just muscled my way through my sprint tris. This year will be different.

2013 races - did a handful of 5ks, 10ks, 2 HMs, 6 off road Sprint Tris and 4 on road.

2014 races - so far the only ones I've PAID for are:
June 2014 - Patriot HIM relay, I'm going to swim because I need to get in a good, panic free long distance swim
September 2014 - Pumpkinman HIM - this is my A race

There's also a HM in May I want to do and a few Olympic distances but I'm not committing to anything too early this year

Body Composition: I weigh about 10lbs less than I did when I graduated college and 4lbs less than high school. I'm thrilled with that. I have the body of a cyclist (read: POWERFUL THIGHS) so I have little hope of losing much more - but watch out for me on the bike as I blow by you! JK

Why I'm a good manatee mentee? I'll cheer you on and offer my support when you need it! I'm so looking forward to a great 2014!!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-01-02 9:00 AM
2014-01-02 9:34 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Name: amd723/Ann-Marie

Story: I've always been active playing a wide variety of sports , but always hated running. I only ran to keep me in shape for the other fun sports and then , only ran as much as I had to and NO more! For some reason, in 2008 I decided to join a running group and train for the 2008 Disney marathon. Somewhere along the way I actually started to like running. I stopped laughing at people who ran in the rain and became one of them! In 2010, I decided to venture in triathlons. Since then, I've averaged more triathlons a year then stand alone running events. I think this year the pendulum may swing the other way. We'll see.

Family Status: Single with one big hairy kid. Ok, dog, but he costs me almost as much as a child. I also have a number of siblings an in-laws with whom I race, so they make frequent appearances in my log.

. Current Training: I haven't been on my bike since 11/10/13, REV3 HIM. I am run focused right now, but am generally managing to swim 2x per week.

2013 races: I ran a few 5 and 10ks, a 15k, an 8 mile spartan race and 3-4 sprint or international distance tris. I abandoned the REV3 HIM at about the 8 mile mark of the run ( AAARRRGGGHHH) because the hamstring I'd been rehabbing and babying for months picked that race to say it had enough. Stupid hamstring! I took a little bit of time off from running after that race to give the hamstring a break and started doing yoga to supplement the massages and hamstring exercises I was already doing. My hamstring is much better and I expect 2014 to be a happy hamstring year

2014 races: I have 2 races on the agenda so far- 2/8' a trail HM and 2/22, a trail 25k. I have not decided wether or not I'm going to target a HIM this year or not. I'm sure I will also race 4-5 shorter distance tris and other road races.

What will make me a good mentee: I try to stay pretty active with the group and with inspires.

2014-01-02 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

NAME: rrrunner (no I don't stutter, it stands for Rio Rancho runner) aka TJ

STORY: I am a 47 years old and have been married to my best friend (DH) for over 25 years and we have two amazing sons who are 24 (DS1) and 23 (DS2). We live in Rio Rancho, NM (near Albuquerque). I was a runner in high school but college, marriage and motherhood took over and I became sedentary. I was up to about 180 at my heaviest which is no bueno for a 5'7" woman. About 10 years ago I started running again and dropped to the 160-ish range. Then about 6 years ago I was motivated to loose the rest of it and get to a healthy weight so by counting calories and running A LOT I got down in to the mid 130's. During a Christmas family gathering in 2010 my sister-in-law asked me to do a sprint tri with her. At first I said no but wanted to motivate her to get healthy so I agreed. I became addicted and she's since given up on tri, sigh. DS2 is coming off an injury but likes to run and tri so we'll likely do some races together this year. DS1 tolerates running so we'll do some shorter run races with him this year.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been on a run focus for a few months but just dialed that back a bit and started a training plan geared toward an OLY that I plan to do in June. I'm still trying to do at least 4 runs/week and am using the Jack Daniels plan. I'm taking a swim clinic once a week for 8 weeks so that is giving some real meaning and benefit to my swims. Doing about 3 swims/week. I love my bike but it's kinda the neglected step-child lately

2013 EVENTS: It was a busy one!

Oceanside 70.3
Baker to Vegas Relay
NMLE Memorial Ride metric century
HITS Grand Junction OLY
Bolder Boulder 10k
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun TT
Tri for the Cure sprint
Live Love Tri sprint
Santa Fe Tri sprint
Rock N Roll Denver HM
a few 5k's sprinkled in there for good measure

2014 SEASON: I told DH that I would try to race closer to home this year and not drag my beloved sherpa all over the western half of the US. Soooooo...

Runnin of the Green 7k (Denver but I have permission because DS1, DS2 and SIL are racing too) Sure to be a PR

possibles:
Rio Grande Sprint
Jay Benson Sprint
Bolder Boulder 10k
Moab Oly
City of Lakes Oly (right now looking like my "A")
Tri Rock Denver
Las Campanas Compadres
Rock N Roll Denver HM (redemption race for DS2)

MANATEENESS: I've been a Manatee for several seasons now. I'm active in the chatter, will offer my perspective when I think it's helpful and will admit I'm not great at posting inspires
2014-01-02 2:00 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Howdy Manatees!  Did you see DC Rainmaker's 3 Ways to Automatically Copy Your Data post? Tapiriink seems like it has potential. It kind of sucks that Training Peaks requires a premium ($120/yr) subscription to get it to work though.  Still if you have Garmin data that you want to get to Strava, etc. that could be nice.  I wish that it worked with DailyMile though.  I have friends that only post on DM and I've found DM to be relatively social so I've continued to hang out there.

2014-01-02 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Kate (Kgore

I'm a native Californian-of the Norcal variety, a zookeeper, and kind of a lazy stress case at times. 2014 is my 4th year of triathloning, my 3rd year of Obstacle Course Racing, my 2nd year of 1/2 Marathoning, and my 1st year of running a marathon....other than that I don't do much.  I am a freak for anything animal related--especially reptiles, and I am also into Hockey, martial arts, cross stitch, and reading....LOTS of reading!

Family status:I am 37, married to an awesome guy (Clint), and currently house a number of various animals....reptiles, amphibians, cats, and a dog....Also dealing with two older parents and their various health issues (heart attacks and cancer in 2013---lets hope there is NONE OF THAT for any of us in 2014!!!)

Current training: I am REALLY trying to get on track--and stay on it just getting a regular training routine going. I tend to hop on whole hog, then find other stuff (i.e. lazy stuff) to do and training goes away--though I still do all my races....poorly. I have a basic knowledge, low tech gear, and basic equipment; its just the mental side of things I need to get a handle on.

2013 Races: 3 1/2 marathons, 2 Spartan Beasts, multiple Mud Runs, 3 Triathlons (1 Mini, 1 Sprint, 1 International)--plus some other runs too.

2014 Races:
yeah---check my page--I have over 15 events planned--too many to write here, and probably more when I add in virtual challenges and random fun runs that popup.

In the meantime: 

Jan 4--New Years Duathlon

Feb 2--Super Sunday Fun Run 10k

Feb 16--Folsom 10 Miler run

That's my next two months.

Body Composition: I am a bit fluffy...I am still down 20 lbs from when I first started racing, but wouldn't mind hitting 140lbs---so another 30 lbs or so. Truth be told its not really a big worry for me--my weight has been around this level (+/- 5 lbs) for over 15 years--except when I gained lots from a medication. Booo. I do this more to feel "in shape" and to have fun than anything else. That being said, I do have one minor change in plans for this year---I wanna COMPETE....and not be in the bottom 10 for all of my races. That is all.

2014-01-02 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by jmkizer

Howdy Manatees!  Did you see DC Rainmaker's 3 Ways to Automatically Copy Your Data post? Tapiriink seems like it has potential. It kind of sucks that Training Peaks requires a premium ($120/yr) subscription to get it to work though.  Still if you have Garmin data that you want to get to Strava, etc. that could be nice.  I wish that it worked with DailyMile though.  I have friends that only post on DM and I've found DM to be relatively social so I've continued to hang out there.

I may hVe to check out syncmetrics since it syncs to withing scales. That may encourage me to get back on the scale - which after the last 2 weeks could be a sad thing!
2014-01-02 3:19 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

NAME: Melanie
STORY: I am a 40 year old female who enjoys being outside and active despite my body's periodic rebellion against such activities.  I got into triathlon after befriending a woman at my new (at the time) job who regularly raced.  I became hooked on this multifaceted multisport and this spring will begin my 5th season of triathlon.  I also am an ice hockey goalie, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and enjoy kayaking/general outdoorsy activities. 

As a kid I was always active (a total tomboy playing football/baseball, climbing trees, building forts with the neighbor boys), swimming (for fun, not competitively), playing softball and volleyball in rec leagues which took a small lull in my early 20s until I discovered the joy of inline skating and eventually learned how to ice skate at age 23.  From there I played inline hockey with friends and eventually made the move to ice hockey at age 27.  Played as a wing in a whopping 1 game before my best friend talked me into being the goalie and I fell in love with the position and the rest is history. 

I ran frequently in the mid-late 90s until I developed femoral tendonitis and put the sport aside until my interest in triathlon bloomed.  Got back into the love of biking in 2004 when a friend I worked with got me hooked on mountain biking which for me morphed into the desire to add a road bike to my stable which led to participating in fundraising rides and the rest of that is history, too!  
FAMILY STATUS: Married and have 2 fun, funny dogs who always make me laugh and smile
CURRENT TRAINING: I am nursing a hamstring injury which I sustained in TKD, so at the moment am sidelined from hockey (boo!) and swim/bike/run (boo!), although it is making some slow progress.
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: So far I am registered for a 5K, 1 sprint tri and a half marathon, but will surely do about 3 or so total sprints, assorted running races and at least 1 Oly and am tossing around the idea of a half IM. 
2013 RACES/EVENTS: Did about 5 5Ks, some trail races of various lengths, my first 10K, my first half marathon (follwed by another later in the summer), a few sprint triathlons and one Olympic distance.
BODY COMPOSITION: definitely want/need to dump some plump - as of today I am 185.8 on a 5'10" frame and would like to get down to 160 or 155.  I am currently an 'Athena' at this weight and really woudn't mind not being one by getting below 165.  I want/need to regain some overall strength especially in my arms/upper body.  I'd also like to get a better handle on my asthma issues which sometimes raises its ugly head to negatively affect my racing.

Edited by melbo55 2014-01-02 3:21 PM

2014-01-02 10:01 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master

NAME: Kirsten

STORY: Vet Tech Educator.  42 years old.  Always athletic, Track and Field, basketball, volleyball, Soccer in HS.  Soccer until early 30's when I blew my ACL.  Then hockey for a few years.  Started running with a friend at work, and decided I would finally run the marathon I have always wanted to in 2010.  The moved to HM distance for a couple years.  Decided only running was too hard on my body, so moved to Tri in 2012.  Have since done 2 HIM, several sprints and Olys.  Ironically, I now run more than I did when I as a 'runner'.

FAMILY STATUS: Partner of almost 7 years.  Four fur children, 2 Staffordshire Bull Terriers who are Agility Dogs with aforementioned SO, 1 active cat, 1 fat cat.

CURRENT TRAINING: Have been back at all three sports since Nov, after a few month hiatus of swim and bike.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: So far, a couple 5k's and IM Canada.  More to follow.

2013 RACES/EVENTS:

Red Hook Brewery Haul Ash Ride

North Shore Sprint Tri

Subaru Victoria Olympic Tri (probably do this one again in 2014)

Canada Day Challenge 2km OWS (probably do this one again in 2014)

Subaru Vancouver Half Iron

Crescent Beach Olympic (Only swim and run done)

Surrey International Music Half Marathon

Boundary Bay Half Marathon

BODY COMPOSITION: First order of business is to take off the few pounds I put on over the holidays.  Sigh.  But after that, I am always trying to take off another 10ish.  Unfortunately I like food and beer too much... 

2014-01-03 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

I"m in like Flynn, again....

My given name is Michael.

I currently teach mathematics at a local college.  I have degrees in Math, Physics, and English.   Once upon a time I toted a rifle in far off jungles and deserts.  In high school I ran track and swam on a local swim team.    I swam D1 in college.    I  once was a high level soccer referee but have retired from said activity.  Aside from the swim, run, bike thingy, I am a dedicated water rat.   I sail and kayak.  Used to surf but have not been near salt water in ever so long.

My family.   I'm single and have never been married.    Currently looking after my demented and deaf 82 year old father.  I'm supporting one of my nieces.   I have three animals; two dogs and one cat.    They are a golden retriever named Truth, a chorkie named Angel, and a black cat named Bagheera.    And oh, there's the relationship with the Ph.D chemistry squeeze.  It's complicated.   

I do triathlons mainly for my health.   I am 55 years old but don't look it, act it or feel it.  It's all due to living the healthy lifestyle.   I've had a bout with melanoma and subsequent treatment in the past three years but am finally getting to see that light at the end of the tunnel and  feel like a phoenix.  

Currently I am 5'9" and weight 185 lbs.   I once again fit the image of a lean mean fighting machine.     I train on the Zen plan.  I don't log or blog but I do slog.   Will post a picture when the men of BT thread start up for 2014 this year.   Got to find a Doctor Doom mask first.   Facial scars and all that.

This year's races.   Currently I'm only signed up for a local Olympic.   There is a local half iron distance race in Sept that I will sign up for when registration opens. There are a few century rides I plan to do along with a couple of 10K's, an odd 15K, and a half marathon.   Again, this is following the Zen plan.   It has worked best with my situation.

My current gear is a pair of dollar store running shoes, a pair of old style Speedo training suits and a Quintana Roo bike that I put together from parts, starting with the frame and working up to a complete bike.  Have wrench; can do.    Have attitude; can do.  It's that improvise, adapt, overcome thingy that got instilled in me way back when.

Edited by MadMathemagician 2014-01-03 8:36 AM
2014-01-03 8:32 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hey Chris, I understand that Santa brought you a new toy.  How are you liking the TGT?

2014-01-03 10:27 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

I"m in like Flynn, again....

My given name is Michael.

I currently teach mathematics at a local college.  I have degrees in Math, Physics, and English.   Once upon a time I toted a rifle in far off jungles and deserts.  In high school I ran track and swam on a local swim team.    I swam D1 in college.    I  once was a high level soccer referee but have retired from said activity.  Aside from the swim, run, bike thingy, I am a dedicated water rat.   I sail and kayak.  Used to surf but have not been near salt water in ever so long.

My family.   I'm single and have never been married.    Currently looking after my demented and deaf 82 year old father.  I'm supporting one of my nieces.   I have three animals; two dogs and one cat.    They are a golden retriever named Truth, a chorkie named Angel, and a black cat named Bagheera.    And oh, there's the relationship with the Ph.D chemistry squeeze.  It's complicated.   

I do triathlons mainly for my health.   I am 55 years old but don't look it, act it or feel it.  It's all due to living the healthy lifestyle.   I've had a bout with melanoma and subsequent treatment in the past three years but am finally getting to see that light at the end of the tunnel and  feel like a phoenix.  

Currently I am 5'9" and weight 185 lbs.   I once again fit the image of a lean mean fighting machine.     I train on the Zen plan.  I don't log or blog but I do slog.   Will post a picture when the men of BT thread start up for 2014 this year.   Got to find a Doctor Doom mask first.   Facial scars and all that.

This year's races.   Currently I'm only signed up for a local Olympic.   There is a local half iron distance race in Sept that I will sign up for when registration opens. There are a few century rides I plan to do along with a couple of 10K's, an odd 15K, and a half marathon.   Again, this is following the Zen plan.   It has worked best with my situation.

My current gear is a pair of dollar store running shoes, a pair of old style Speedo training suits and a Quintana Roo bike that I put together from parts, starting with the frame and working up to a complete bike.  Have wrench; can do.    Have attitude; can do.  It's that improvise, adapt, overcome thingy that got instilled in me way back when.

Does this vary a lot?

2014-01-03 10:58 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

WHEEEE!!! It's Manatee Time again!

NAME:  Monica aka Blueyedbikergirl

STORY:  I don't even know where to begin with this one... I was a nationally ranked gymnast growing up (I left the sport a month before Olympic Trials for which I think I'll always kick myself), high school basketball followed, then competitive beach volleyball, and then... nada.  Seriously.  Nil, zip, zilch, no moving unless necessary or provoked into running after someone for no more than 5-10 meters.  Divorced the first hubby, lost 40lbs, and decided that enough was enough.  I did a couple of sprints and was hooked!  Then found BT, met a certain someone online here, moved to the UK, moved to the US, got married, and here we are! 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Tony (MR2Tony) who isn't as short in real life as he pretends to be, but also isn't as tall as he proclaimed to be when I first met him.  Overall, he's awesome and I'm lucky to be with him    We just adopted 2 fur kids (Priscilla & Felix) who are just as weird and fabulous as cats can be.  There will not be any kids for us other than those covered with fur, and when we are able to move to a bigger place we'd love to also adopt a dog.   

CURRENT TRAINING:  Huh... I'm supposed to be doing that, aren't I?  Right now it's a whole lot of nothing all that structured other than my weekly individual training sessions with Josh the Evil Trainer Dude, followed the next day with a group session led by Josh the Evil Trainer Dude.  I'm looking at training plans as I KNOW I do much better with a structured plan in place, it just hasn't quite happened yet...  

2013 RACES: 

Lake Mills (DNS)
Lake in the Hills
Pleasant Prairie
AG Nationals (3ft bottle of wine the night before the race is NOT a good hydration strategy)
Great Illini HIM (DNF)
B2B 140.6 (2 HOUR PR over my last IM!)

2014 RACES:  (plus various other ones that I've either forgotten or haven't signed up for yet)

Polar Dash HM
Get Lucky HM
Lake in the Hills
Pleasant Prairie
AG Nationals
Door County/IM Racine 70.3 (not sure which)
IM Chattanooga

BODY COMPOSITION: Entirely too fluffy for what I'd like my body composition to be.  I know a LOT of it is due to my nutrition, and as I'm not the chef in the family (or even the sous chef, back-up chef, or any kind of chef other than the kind that has the fire department come to the apartment), I've tried several times to steer the chef into a much healthier direction.  If only I didn't like food so much!! 

2014-01-03 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I am liking it. The data seems like it'll be helpful as I try to focus my training a bit more. I have a learning curve on the whole GPS deal, how it works with the bike, how it works with the swim, what I want/need to see when I run, etc. But all in all, I am quite happy with it.

2014-01-03 1:03 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

I am liking it. The data seems like it'll be helpful as I try to focus my training a bit more. I have a learning curve on the whole GPS deal, how it works with the bike, how it works with the swim, what I want/need to see when I run, etc. But all in all, I am quite happy with it.

I'm glad that you like it!  Toys are fun!

2014-01-03 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

January 4-5
Kate - New Years Duathlon

Disabled list:
Melanie - strained hamstring

Stay tuned for an upcoming challege to help find your mojo! < Jantastic

Jantastic Sign Up Information
Go to http://www.jantastic.me/Registeron there and when it gets to choose/create team just search through for the Mad Manatees under M.  Sign up by Sunday the 5th to participate officially.  We also have a Manatee spreadsheet in progress.

January 4 is Kirsten's birthday!

2014-01-03 1:44 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
FFS Can I have 10 minutes to myself so I can post my bio? Apparently not.

Go KATE!!!!!!!!!

And Happy Birthday for tomorrow Kirsten.

More to follow................................Evenually......................
2014-01-03 2:23 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Racing Manatees!

January 4-5

Disabled list:

Go to http://www.jantastic.me/Registeron there and when it gets to choose/create team just search through for the Mad Manatees under M.  Sign up by Sunday the 5th to participate officially.  We also have a Manatee spreadsheet in progress.

Wooo Hooooo!!  Racing Manatees already - GO KATE!  :D 

Happy Birthday (a day early) Kirsten!! 

2014-01-03 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I love bio time. It gives me a chance to learn new things (or be reminded) about my pod-mates!

Melanie - I didn't realize you are so tall!

Kirsten - I hear ya on running more than when you were a "runner", and Happy Birthday tomorrow!

Randee - Didn't realize you are an accountant. My degree is in accounting and I was in public practice once upon a time. Try to fit the training when you can.

Janyne - I wondered the same thing about Michael's post

Kate - GO GET EM!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-01-03 4:58 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

January 4-5

Disabled list:

Go Kate!

Happy Birthday Kirsten!!

Heal Melanie!

2014-01-03 5:00 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

[

NAME:  Monica aka Blueyedbikergirl

2014 RACES:  (plus various other ones that I've either forgotten or haven't signed up for yet)

Polar Dash HM
Get Lucky HM
Lake in the Hills
Pleasant Prairie
AG Nationals
Door County/IM Racine 70.3 (not sure which)
IM Chattanooga

BODY COMPOSITION: Entirely too fluffy for what I'd like my body composition to be.  I know a LOT of it is due to my nutrition, and as I'm not the chef in the family (or even the sous chef, back-up chef, or any kind of chef other than the kind that has the fire department come to the apartment), I've tried several times to steer the chef into a much healthier direction.  If only I didn't like food so much!! 

That race intriques me!

2014-01-04 1:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!

January 4-5

Disabled list:

GO KATE and HAPPY BIRTHDAY KRISTEN!!!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 24598 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 36868 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 17233 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.