General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Posting workouts on facebook Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-03 1:36 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Posting workouts on facebook
Just curious what the general consensus here is on posting your workouts to your friends on facebook. I've seen both sides of it. Some people get clearly annoyed, based on snarky posts mocking people for doing so, others offer words of encouragement and motivation.

I used to be in the camp of being annoyed by it, but then changed. For a while didn't really care, then started actually liking to see the posts. Especially during times when I'm lacking motivation. When I see friends constantly posting their workouts, especially big ones, it motivates me to get off my butt and get back at it.

I don't post mine very often, unless I'm especially proud of it...for instance a fast(for me) 10 mile run, or a 60+ mile bike ride, or an epic climb, etc.

Thoughts?

2014-01-03 1:43 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Posting workouts on facebook

I know a lot of people have gone to FB, but I've stuck mostly with Strava for "communicating" workouts.  Oh, and BT.  Oh, yeah, and Garmin Connect.  Oh, and TP.  Oh, yeah, also thinking about Golden Cheetah…  I know, not all are public, but all require uploading (and I prefer to spend my free time posting here!).

So, FB is something I keep tri mostly out of (the Better Half has posted a couple pics when I've been on a podium in the small, local races - but that's about it).  I am pretty sure that basically NONE of my non-tri friends (and prolly most of them, too) care to see my workouts on FB.    I also keep my FB friends list pretty skinny by comparison to other online venues (LinkedIn, here, etc.).

For those whose FB friends are largely workout/tri/sport peeps, it's likely different.  Just the way I've used it.

Matt

2014-01-03 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Your true friends will be happy for you regardless of their athletic abilities etc. I have friends who have hobbies that I am totally not interested in but if they're happy about something they accomplished then I'm happy too.

My $0.02 worth ...
2014-01-03 1:50 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by reecealan Your true friends will be happy for you regardless of their athletic abilities etc. I have friends who have hobbies that I am totally not interested in but if they're happy about something they accomplished then I'm happy too. My $0.02 worth ...

I agree when considering race results and PBs/PRs, maybe even epic workouts (maybe), but at two workouts (sometimes three) a day, I'm pretty sure I'd bore the crap out of everyone.  Hell, I sometimes bore myself!  

Matt

2014-01-03 1:51 PM

User image

If you've got cool pictures of the workout...then I don't mind seeing it.  If you're linking a Strava ride or run where you just stole someone's KOM...I don't mind seeing it.  If you just broke through a milestone, a personal best, or something you are really proud of...I don't mind seeing it.

If your everyday post is simply..."Ran 6.3 miles at 8:42 pace, then swam 20x100 on 1:40."  I might change my filter so that your posts don't show up on my feed.

2014-01-03 1:53 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by Jason N

If you've got cool pictures of the workout...then I don't mind seeing it.  If you're linking a Strava ride or run where you just stole someone's KOM...I don't mind seeing it.  If you just broke through a milestone, a personal best, or something you are really proud of...I don't mind seeing it.

If your everyday post is simply..."Ran 6.3 miles at 8:42 pace, then swam 20x100 on 1:40."  I might change my filter so that your posts don't show up on my feed.

Completely agree. I'm not posting my morning swim, then my afternoon ride/run, then doing it again, day after day. Even my friends who post their workouts don't do it nearly that frequently. But I had a few in the fall who were training for B2B full and half, and I enjoyed seeing the 100 mile ride, 20 mile run posts.

2014-01-03 2:01 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by reecealan Your true friends will be happy for you regardless of their athletic abilities etc. I have friends who have hobbies that I am totally not interested in but if they're happy about something they accomplished then I'm happy too. My $0.02 worth ...

I agree when considering race results and PBs/PRs, maybe even epic workouts (maybe), but at two workouts (sometimes three) a day, I'm pretty sure I'd bore the crap out of everyone.  Hell, I sometimes bore myself!  

Matt

Definitely agree. I use Strava for run and bike and every now and then I'll share the Strava workout, probably twice a month is all.
2014-01-03 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville
Originally posted by Jason N

Completely agree. I'm not posting my morning swim, then my afternoon ride/run, then doing it again, day after day. Even my friends who post their workouts don't do it nearly that frequently. But I had a few in the fall who were training for B2B full and half, and I enjoyed seeing the 100 mile ride, 20 mile run posts.

I think this is a pretty good rule of thumb. I don't post every workout and when I do post them they're a bit more vague, something like, "amazing day for a 5 mile run capped with a 2 hour ride" and a photo. I don't care that you did 10.2 miles averaging 6:56mm with 6x1mile intervals at 6:10 pace on .25 mile recovery of 7:20 to 7:30 mm, unless it's a milestone breakthrough or something. Every once in a really great while if I've had an awesome, pr setting workout I'll link the TP file but that's once a quarter if at that. Now with all that said, I'm not going to ignore you if that's what you do since it's easy to just skip over your post. Plus I'm all for encouraging others so I'll give you an atta boy most times anyway.

On an un-related note, I sure miss Asheville.

2014-01-03 2:40 PM
in reply to: thebigb

When considering the amount of junk that everyone else posts on FB (mainly baby bodily functions or "OMG. My baby is 7 weeks old today! Happy 7 week birthday to my little bundle of joy! Where has the time gone?!? I get so sad thinking about how fast my baby is growing up!!") I think your workouts would be a nice change of pace to someone's newsfeed. I also think posting workouts is kind of silly unless it's within a group that is dedicated to hitting certain exercise goals and posting those workouts to the group is how everyone is held accountable.
2014-01-03 2:54 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

Just curious what the general consensus here is on posting your workouts to your friends on facebook. I've seen both sides of it. Some people get clearly annoyed, based on snarky posts mocking people for doing so, others offer words of encouragement and motivation.

I used to be in the camp of being annoyed by it, but then changed. For a while didn't really care, then started actually liking to see the posts. Especially during times when I'm lacking motivation. When I see friends constantly posting their workouts, especially big ones, it motivates me to get off my butt and get back at it.

I don't post mine very often, unless I'm especially proud of it...for instance a fast(for me) 10 mile run, or a 60+ mile bike ride, or an epic climb, etc.

Thoughts?

What's your intention? To share your passion with your friends? Then post cool/fun workouts and what happened, great photos from bike rides. Is it to convey a certain attitude? Post how tough every workout was. Is it to attract like minded people? POst it all.

It's your facebook page, you get to choose what you post. If others are annoyed, that's their problem, not yours.
2014-01-03 3:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
People who get annoyed at what others post of facebook, whether its workouts, baby pics, food pics, links, whatever; need to get a grip. If it annoys you; log off, hide, or unfriend. We're not posting for your entertainment.

2014-01-03 3:39 PM
in reply to: japewang

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by japewang People who get annoyed at what others post of facebook, whether its workouts, baby pics, food pics, links, whatever; need to get a grip. If it annoys you; log off, hide, or unfriend. We're not posting for your entertainment.

Agreed.  And if anyone is CONCERNED about what other people think, should relax as well.  Post what you want.  FB is only a public journal of random crap.  I see uninteresting stuff all the time so they can be equally uninterested with my workouts or whatever I post (which is next to nothing).

I don't care what people post, and I certainly don't care what people think of MY posts.  It's not for them.  It's for me.

(so says the guy that goes on FB about once a month - so maybe I'm out of touch).

2014-01-03 3:53 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I satrted a FB page for my blog, and that is where the majority of my workout stuff goes. I let all my friends know about that page and then if they want to know about my workouts or new blog posts, then they will find out from FB. If they don't want to know, then they can friend me on my regular FB page.

2014-01-03 3:56 PM

I don't bother doing it. Most people couldn't care less and I would rather not annoy my friends. If they want to know about my training they'll ask me.
2014-01-03 4:08 PM
in reply to: nstearns

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I'm part of a FB "group" for runners in my social circle and I'll post workout info there. Keeps the posts isolated to those who may be interested.

2014-01-03 4:11 PM
in reply to: nstearns

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-01-03 4:35 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I belong to a couple of groups on FB who care, so I post in there.  Specifically, my triathlon team has a "group" there is one called Northern VA Triathletes and a couple of groups started on races in which I have participated.

Other than that, only pretty pictures from special rides go on the timeline.  Also, I may mention my A races and results.  Or brag about my wife's races.

Kind of like, if I have a friend who quilts, I don't need to hear that they logged 2 hours of quilting.  However, I might like to see a photo of the quilt when it is done.

2014-01-03 4:41 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by MOlsen

I'm part of a FB "group" for runners in my social circle and I'll post workout info there. Keeps the posts isolated to those who may be interested.

This!
2014-01-03 5:19 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

New user
My dailymile links to facebook and twitter, so I post everything. Honestly, during peak training, that's all the communication I might have in me, so it lets my friends know I'm still alive, heh. If they don't care, they can hide posts from dailymile (I'm sure some do). At most, I'm posting 1-2 workouts a day. Is that any different than 1-2 status updates about how good my sandwich is or pictures of random objects/people or buzzfeed articles like most of the rest of my feed?
2014-01-03 5:40 PM
in reply to: Quix

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
About the only time I post workouts to FB is when I going running at night in a snow storm, with Endomondo it has live tracking, that way when my wife finally realizes that I haven't come home she can look and know where to find my body, unless of course i said screw it and stopped at the bar?
Other than that I'm way too slow to want anyone to know that I'm pretending to be running.
2014-01-03 5:43 PM

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

I post all my workouts on Strava, so my "Strava friends" can see them, comment on them, and give me Kudos.  My Facebook friends don't really need to know that I train twice a day.  

2014-01-03 6:05 PM

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Fred D Honestly I only very occasionally post workouts to Facebook. People who post every single workout to Facebook sort of appear as 'look at me' folks. I would usually hide people who post that way, although on my Facebook page the criteria I use for 'hiding' usually is if the person posts a ton of political stuff as I just don't like to follow it. Lastly, I get to see some of the true Elite Zoot team people post workouts and that's pretty cool. There is a guy on the team that is training for an ultra ironman and his run and bike workouts are simply amazing! Facebook is great in the sense that it can be for the individual and if others don't like the stuff you simply hide the individual poster. Good system.

Honestly, I sort of think that about EVEYONE that posts on FB generally.  I don't think anyone posts anything NOT to get attention.  Everyone is saying "look at me" or "hear what I said" or "look at my baby/cat/dog".  What's different than posting your workouts?

It's all good... 

2014-01-03 6:30 PM
in reply to: Kido

2014-01-03 6:35 PM

Pro

Facebook.......sounds like a lot of bullshine to me......and get off my lawn.

2014-01-03 7:04 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Posting workouts on facebook Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Posting race report to facebook?

Started by tigers75
Views: 926 Posts: 2

2013-08-12 11:49 AM FELTGood

Do you post your workouts on Facebook? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by joker70
Views: 4420 Posts: 61

2011-07-24 1:08 PM jsiegs

Mtn bike workout VS road bike workout Pages: 1 2

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 4378 Posts: 27

2010-10-07 7:55 AM Meulen

Good Workouts vs Bad Workouts - Why?

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1431 Posts: 11

2009-12-16 12:54 PM newbz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : June 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
By adequately fueling with protein and carbohydrates within 30-minutes post workout, consecutive workouts will be more successful.

date : February 18, 2008
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.
date : November 20, 2007
Depending on the length of your workout, there are several options to choose for a post-workout snack. Includes 3 smoothy recipes for workouts over 2-3 hours.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?
date : September 18, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re continuing intervals. The focus will be on finishing your pull and again, hip rotation.

date : May 21, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, we’re doing slightly fewer drills and slightly more distance. Focus on completing the workouts and notice the changes to your stroke.