of 2

2014-01-03 7:47 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Posting workouts on facebook

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by Left Brain

Facebook.......sounds like a lot of bullshine to me......and get off my lawn.

. Hey old man, you are super old, as those who post on Facebook are considered old, so you are older than old I guess? Sorry about your luck ;0)

I don't even text.....or tweet....is that the same thing? 

2014-01-03 8:54 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Pro

I post my workouts on Daily Mile- where there's a camaraderie around exercise.  While there are a few on Facebook that appreciate the 'lifestyle' most would just see it as bragging or boring.  Sometimes if I complete something 'special' like a marathon I'll post.

2014-01-03 9:14 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Bronze member

I don't post workouts. I have this weird feeling that I don't really want all of FB friends to know how much I workout. That is why I log here! If someone wants to read about it they can. And from the traffic on my blog I don't think very many people actually want to read about it......

Some of my FB friends post every single workout and I find myself thinking - gee wiz, is that all they do - exercise all day? Then I realize it wouldn't be that different if posted my own stuff . I agree that posting milestones, special events, encouragement for a specific goal - I can get on board with that. But every workout every day just gets stale to me.

I have a FB photo album of favorite pics from trail runs with my dog or bike rides where I saw rainbows, stuff like that. It is more personal than anything and just a reminder of some of my favorite things.

2014-01-03 9:19 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ditto. I don't use FB, or tweet. Just don't think random strangers need to know about the details of my daily life. I do text once in a while with my cell phone, but it's stuff like, "Want to meet for breakfast at XXX?" or "Where are you?", not my workouts. I log them on BT, so anyone who wants to could look, and sometimes put them in the daily thread. That's mainly to motivate myself--I'm less likely to skip if I think I'm going to post it. Sometimes I'm proud of myself for doing a workout that was really hard so I guess it is kind of a brag--just want to share it with people who would appreciate how much suffering it involved, or something. Silly as many do much longer/harder workouts than I do! And I like to read what other people did. Most of my friends aren't triathletes and could care less how far/fast I swam/biked/ran, or even less what my run routes or the industrial park looks like! If I had FB, I wouldn't post workouts there but would probably use it mainly to share travels, cat pics, and things of more general interest to more people.
2014-01-03 9:22 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Bronze member

. Hey old man, you are super old, as those who post on Facebook are considered old, so you are older than old I guess? Sorry about your luck ;0)

Even my mother is on FB AND she can text.

2014-01-03 10:41 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trigal38

Even my mother is on FB AND she can text.

2014-01-04 2:26 AM
in reply to: #4923516

naperville, Illinois
there are two kinds of people on facebook - the kind that use it to brag and the kind that make fun of those that do. at the end of the day, it's bragging and annoying to all the non-nerd triathlete friends and even many who are. if you want to brag, go ahead, but seriously? isn't that what strava is for and then only those who care see it, the others just remove you from their news feed.
2014-01-04 6:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

My wonderful wife likes to take photo's of me while competing in tri's and other such endeavors.  I enjoy looking at them and such and she has them uploaded to facebook into albums for each season/race whatever.  People have commented on them and what not.  Personally I like to think everyone see's them and either laughs or gets jealous?.. 

There was this one photo from my first season of Tri where I came out of the lake and am running to T1 and the photo my wife snapped shows a very "form fitting" suit that looked like it was painted on me around the bottom area...  After seeing that one I wanted to yell out...."what...the water was cold!!"(it was like 81 or so lol)

Anyways I don't post much for workouts on there though.  I don't feel the need.  I will throw something on there about going out and running when it's like 3-4 degrees out to try and help encourage my sisters and bro-in-laws to see what they did.  Otherwise not much.

2014-01-04 4:01 PM
in reply to: Raansnel

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-01-05 10:22 AM

Ill post the milestone, or completion of an 'A' race, but its largly for my family who are very supportive, always asking questions and on the other side of the country. Posting a quick pic on facebook after a race they know Ive been training hard for makes my mom,aunt, gramma happy(yep 90 and on FB, she loves it becuase it helps her keep track of all her grandkids/great grandkids ). As for posting every workout- I have friends that do that but Ill just scroll past.
2014-01-05 10:48 AM
in reply to: PowerRuff

Me or my wife will post a pic or two and results from a race, and sometimes I'll post something if I fell off my bike training or the pool heater was broken, but people who post their daily workouts or WODs or whatever come across really douchy, braggy and narcissistic. My FB is mostly for posting pics of the kids and whatnot for the family.

2014-01-05 9:00 PM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
I think that Strava is the ave. for that. we a built up a good group of folks who have really enjoyed strava. too many 4 mile jogs on fb and you'll find your friends hiding you...
2014-01-06 4:11 AM
in reply to: Raansnel

Master
I post all my stuff here and on dailymile.com. I only put stuff on FB if it's epic, humorous, or I had a great time with friends. Usually pictures are taken of group workouts and there's tagging with workout descriptions. I like all of the above on my TL. I don't hate daily posts. I will often comment with support. Some of us need that kind of motivation.
2014-01-06 10:22 AM

here's my thought about anything on facebook... if you are annoyed at what is posted on facebook, log off.

i post all my workouts on facebook... if someone is annoyed, feel free to block me!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Posting workouts on facebook Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Posting race report to facebook?

Started by tigers75
Views: 927 Posts: 2

2013-08-12 11:49 AM FELTGood

Do you post your workouts on Facebook? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by joker70
Views: 4421 Posts: 61

2011-07-24 1:08 PM jsiegs

Mtn bike workout VS road bike workout Pages: 1 2

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 4379 Posts: 27

2010-10-07 7:55 AM Meulen

Good Workouts vs Bad Workouts - Why?

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1431 Posts: 11

2009-12-16 12:54 PM newbz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : June 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
By adequately fueling with protein and carbohydrates within 30-minutes post workout, consecutive workouts will be more successful.

date : February 18, 2008
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.
date : November 20, 2007
Depending on the length of your workout, there are several options to choose for a post-workout snack. Includes 3 smoothy recipes for workouts over 2-3 hours.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?
date : September 18, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re continuing intervals. The focus will be on finishing your pull and again, hip rotation.

date : May 21, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, we’re doing slightly fewer drills and slightly more distance. Focus on completing the workouts and notice the changes to your stroke.