General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New wheelset!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-05 10:00 PM

Subject: New wheelset!!!
I'm upgrading my wheelset for my 2012 Cannondale slice 105. the cog set is 5700. 12-25, 10 speed. my front rings are 50/34 and my rear 25-11. I dont really know what this means and how to look for new wheels. Please help. I'm looking at HED 3'a or Zipp. also clinchers or tub? Thanks and any advice on which wheels to get would be helpfull as well.

2014-01-06 9:30 AM
in reply to: Jculver26

User image

Extreme Veteran
Huntington Beach, CA
Subject: RE: New wheelset!!!
Based on what you are saying the only key compatibility issue you have is that you'll need a Shimano compatible 10 speed hub on your rear wheel.

Also, "tubs" are wheels which tubular tires are glued or taped to the rim and amongst other things are generally lighter and can be run at much higher tire pressures, both though to be "advantages" when looking for incremental speed.

Clinchers are probably what you have now - the tube/tire combo.

Not sure about HED, but most if not all Zipp wheel set types will come in both tubular and clincher. I personally will take the ease-of-use clinchers over the lighter tubulars any day.
2014-01-06 10:40 AM
in reply to: 17281posse

User image

Veteran
Carolina Beach
The HED 3's do come in both clincher and tubular. My suggestion is to look at what your average speeds currently are. The way it was explained to me is that in order to see a real aero advantage with a tri-spoke, your must be able to hold a higher average speed than most middle of the pack folks are capable of. This is not the case with Zipps as you will get aero benifits at almost any speed. I went with 404's and I saw a significant difference over my stock wheels on my Quintana Roo. Don't forget about the aero helmet! It's another huge aero advantage that is like buying speed!
2014-01-10 6:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
There's no truth to the HED3 needing a certain speed before they're beneficial, but their aerodynamic benefits are at shallow yaw angles or straight on, once you add more of a wider yaw angle (side wind), then they lose some of their advantage. Now, they're still great wheels, aerodynamic, bomb proof, and stiff, which is good and bad… on rough pavement, you tend to bounce a bit more unless you're heavier.

HED Jet's would be where I would start looking instead. Something like a Jet 60 front with a Jet 90 rear gives you a great riding wheel set that are very comfortable to ride, easy to true (not that you will need to do that often…) and quite aerodynamic. You can usually get these for less money than Zipp's (and not giving up anything…). Also, get wheels with an aluminum brake track, otherwise you will need to switch out the brake pads each time you switch wheels from your training wheels to your race wheels.

So the 11-25 is the cassette with an 11 tooth cog as the smallest and the 25 as the largest cog. The higher the number the easier the gear is. 50-34 crankset refers to the chain rings, 50 being the largest (and here's that's the hardest) and 34 the smallest, this crank is also called a compact. You need to have a wheel set that has a Shimano compatible hub for 10 speed (11 works just fine as well, but you'll pay a premium for these and don't really need it… there's a small spacers that goes on the inside of the cassette to use a 10 speed cassette on a 11 speed hub). Reading from your question, I assume that you are newer to cycling. Tubulars do require some specific knowledge in how to glue them, what to do when you get a flat (which is costly since you will toss the entire tire away at that point), etc. I would highly recommend sticking with clinchers.

Edited by audiojan 2014-01-10 6:22 AM
2014-01-11 5:18 PM
in reply to: Jculver26

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Get Used clincher H3s on ebay.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New wheelset!!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

new wheelset for a good deal or save for better?

Started by smiletodayok
Views: 662 Posts: 2

2013-05-26 9:14 AM audiojan

Help me decide on a new wheelset

Started by Nhmountainman
Views: 840 Posts: 3

2012-07-11 9:47 AM Six000MileYear

Questions regarding new Wheelset

Started by FWulff
Views: 1219 Posts: 4

2012-05-05 3:56 PM Trath-L33T

Break in time for a new wheelset?

Started by radycardia
Views: 1002 Posts: 4

2009-03-27 7:24 AM bcart1991

Aero Wheelset for new tribike...

Started by Topher004
Views: 813 Posts: 6

2008-03-05 6:26 AM Topher004
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : January 13, 2009
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?
date : October 8, 2008
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : April 14, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Need a high-performance wheel upgrade? Watch the review of the Specialized Roval Rapide Carbon Clincher wheelset which turned out to be an excellent all-around wheelset for both training and racing.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Akuma
I am 28 now, hardly an old crony, but life in busy Sydney Australia has meant my belly is softer than the excuses I use to convince myself I am in good shape.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them