General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips Please - Do's and Dont's for First Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-02 4:42 PM

Subject: Tips Please - Do's and Dont's for First Tri
I do my first Tri in 2 days. Sprint distance at London. I was just wondering if any of you had any advice/tips on doing your first triathlon. For example, any experiences/lessons that you learned during your first Tri's that, if you were able to turn back time, you would have done something differently.

2006-08-02 4:48 PM
in reply to: #500799

User image

Veteran
Draper, Utah
Subject: RE: Tips Please - Do's and Dont's for First Tri
1. Unless you regularly run without socks, do not try and save a few seconds in the transition by foregoing putting on socks. A few seconds time saving results in many, many minutes lost in the run after the blisters form.

2. For open water swims- get into the water early and get accustomed to the temperature. That way, your system does not get "shocked" and affect your breathing.

3. Before the race, mentally picture each piece of equipment you will need for each transition and set up accordingly (and neatly) so that each transition can be made as easily and quickly as posssible.

Good luck on your first tri!!
2006-08-02 5:10 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
* Put your goggles on first, then the swim cap. Two reasons -- if your goggles get kicked/hit during the swim, you're less likely to lose them, and when you take the goggles off at the end of the swim, it helps peel the swim cap off.

* Swim until your hand FIRMLY touches bottom, then stand up. The less water you have to push, the better. Take the goggles off immediately (and the cap with them) so you can see where you're going, then grab the lanyard for the wetsuit zipper and unzip (you should be moving well by now, on the way to the transition zone), then pull the upper part down to your waist. Run this way to the T-zone.

* Buckle your helmet before you even TOUCH the bike.

* Setting up your T-area -- Put a towel down, then on that, put your number, on a number belt at the part closest to the rack, then your running shoes on top of that. Next to that, put your bike shoes. Leave a little area to wipe your feet off without having to move anything. Helmet goes on the handlebars, upside down with glasses inside, and helmet straps laid out over the sides.

* Have FUN!
2006-08-02 5:20 PM
in reply to: #500808

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
pbarlowtri - 2006-08-02 3:48 PM

1. Unless you regularly run without socks, do not try and save a few seconds in the transition by foregoing putting on socks. A few seconds time saving results in many, many minutes lost in the run after the blisters form.

2. For open water swims- get into the water early and get accustomed to the temperature. That way, your system does not get "shocked" and affect your breathing.

3. Before the race, mentally picture each piece of equipment you will need for each transition and set up accordingly (and neatly) so that each transition can be made as easily and quickly as posssible.

Good luck on your first tri!!

I definitely agree with #1... I decided on my last sprint to run sans socks, and my blisters are still aching.

Run through the race in your head. If you have the opportunity, get out and do a drive or slow bike of the bike route, and walk the run route. I found it very helpful to get in the water and do a swim just to get used to doing OWS since I never had before.

Don't do anything that you haven't practiced before race day. ie. don't eat something you wouldn't normally eat before training, and don't wear something you wouldn't normally wear.

Good luck!! You're going to do awesome.
2006-08-02 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Do: Have Fun.
Don't:Get Stressed Out.

It's your first tri so enjoy it.

2006-08-02 6:00 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
The best advice I can give is to make a list of what you'll need for transitions. I know we all think we can remember but inevitably you forget something. Oh and during my first tri I was running for Team in Training and forgot my purple singlet with my number on it!!!

2006-08-02 6:08 PM

User image

The best advice I got came from Nicole DeBoom (wow, it was cool to meet her casually the week before my first race) -- Remember to look up and smile when you cross the finish line; the pictures of your first tri are important!
2006-08-02 6:16 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

1. Make a checklist the night before (several can be found on BT and other websites).

2. DO NOT try anything new on race day that you haven't tried/practiced. This goes for your gear, shoes, nutrition, breakfast, EVERYTHING. Stick with what you know works.

3. Make sure you have your helmet on whenever you are touching your bike, but be sure to remove your helmet at T2 (have seen it many times)

4. Get to the venue EARLY and walk through the transition area(s) several times until you are comfortable remembering where to enter & exit and where you racked your bike.

5. Time permitting, ride the bike course and run the run course.

6. DO NOT race against anyone else in the event - do not try to "catch up" with anyone. Run your own race, at your own pace, otherwise you will blow up.

7. TRUST YOUR TRAINING - try to relax the night before knowing you have built a solid base of training and try not to second-guess your abilities...although you will anyway, and likely not sleep very well at all, and will be a bundle of nerves on race morning as you make your way to the port-a-potty for the fourth time...just take comfort that everyone else around you will be feeling the very same things! 

8. Smile as you get close to the finish - photographers will be snapping shots.

9. After finishing and gathering yourself together, step back to the finish area to cheer on other finishers...just as there were others there cheering you!

10. HAVE A BLAST AND SIGN UP FOR ANOTHER TRIATHLON/DUATHLON THE VERY NEXT DAY!!!

Edited by sty 2006-08-02 6:17 PM
2006-08-02 6:21 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

...oh yeah, number 11:

Call yourself a Triathlete!

And be gentle when showering to maintain the body markings on your arms so you can brag about them while wearing short sleeves on monday morning at work, "oh, that...just from another triathlon I did on the weekend...no biggie"

Edited by sty 2006-08-02 6:22 PM
2006-08-02 11:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Durham
More important than putting your helmet on is making sure that said helmet isn't backwards.
2006-08-03 12:43 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Don't worry, don't stress, don't fret,   just have fun.....  Second Triathlon, you can worry, stress and fret.

Unless you are going for the money cash prize.   Go like helllllll!!!!

2006-08-03 12:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN

As listed, make a list for what you will need in the PM before the race, AM when you get up and list of stuff at the transition.  Get everything in the car the night before, sit back and watch a movie or something.  You wont be able to sleep anyway.

2006-08-03 7:41 AM

User image

Regular
West Lafayette, IN
I know I have seen the checklist here on BT but I don't know where. Does anyone know the thread or have a link for a tri checklist? Thanks.
2006-08-03 8:16 AM
in reply to: #501104

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

KristenT - 2006-08-03 8:41 AM I know I have seen the checklist here on BT but I don't know where. Does anyone know the thread or have a link for a tri checklist? Thanks.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/search/query.asp?fid=0&action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=checklist&mode=1&subjects=1&messages=1&author=&collapsethreads=1&days=1&datemode=3&custom-start=&custom-end=

2006-08-03 8:21 AM
in reply to: #501015

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I'll just try to offer two things that others might not.

1.  I've heard not to jump across the finish line.  All you end up with is a picture of yourself in a half squat landing position as if you are trying to go to the bathroom.

2.  Definitely do a warm up swim.  I learned several valuable things in my tri by doing this.  The jugs used as markers along the rope were too far apart to be used for sighting and the water was too murky to see the rope so I started to the far left instead of right.  And the entrance/exit went from 1 ft to 8 ft deep almost immediately (man made lake).  So I was prepared for the steep dropoff going in and more importantly, coming out.  I knew to swim hard right up to the shore before trying to stand up.  I passed several people who were trying to stand where you would think you could (5-10 ft from shore) and were caught offguard by the fact that they couldn't.  To me this is as important as touring the bike and run courses ahead of time to look for surprises and it takes care of the whole acclimating to the water temp thing at the same time.

2006-08-03 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
CountyFox - 2006-08-02 2:42 PM

if you were able to turn back time, you would have done something differently.

I would have trained more for the swim....the ride and run segments were easier than I thought they'd be and the swim much harder...most important thing is to prepare your body for the effort, the other stuff is all peanuts.....tons of people worry about their outfits and other pathetic details but their bodies aren't ready for the ordeal...

2006-08-03 9:01 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
As you pass voluteers at aid stations or intersections.  Give them a big THANK YOU.  It's good for Karma points.
2006-08-03 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts

My mantra is "DFL beats DNF beats DNS."  The hardest part of the tri, for me, is getting my body near a body of water just before a horn sounds.  If I can do that much then I beat everybody who Did Not Show.  And once that horns sounds I just trust my training to get my body to move over and over again until I cross a finish line. 

I injured myself in my first tri and the run hurt but I recall grinning like a cheshire cat the whole way because I knew, as long as I didn't fall over and knock myself out, that I was going to Finish This Traithlon and be a Triathlete!  It was an intoxicating feeling.

So, my advice is to remember that saying: DFL beats DNS beats DNS.  Oh, and my other piece of advice:

Thank the race volunteers.  Smile at them as often as you can.

And have fun! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips Please - Do's and Dont's for First Tri Rss Feed