General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike hydration using bladder backpack in the race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-06 3:56 PM

Subject: Bike hydration using bladder backpack in the race
Hi all,

I'm signed up for the IM Wales in 2014 and thinking about hydration on the bike discipline. On my long training rides I'm using my bladder backpack to hold up to 3 ltrs of a sports mixture with electrolytes.

Does anyone use a similar approach in the race itself or does everyone use bottles, either self supplied or course provided?

What does everyone think on using the bladder backpack approach?

Thanks

2014-01-06 4:32 PM
in reply to: Zeroyxz

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Bike hydration using bladder backpack in the race

It's mostly personal preference.

Carrying around all that extra water is largely unnecessary as most courses will have aid stations every ~10 miles on the bike course. If you are adding electrolyte tabs or something similar to your water, a good solution is an aero bottle - easy to dump in both water and extra stuff on the fly.

2014-01-08 8:47 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Originally posted by lisac957

It's mostly personal preference.

Carrying around all that extra water is largely unnecessary as most courses will have aid stations every ~10 miles on the bike course. If you are adding electrolyte tabs or something similar to your water, a good solution is an aero bottle - easy to dump in both water and extra stuff on the fly.

Yup I agree. I'm quite surprised at how many people I see in IM & 70.3 with 2/3 bottles on their bike. That's 2kg+ of extra weight. I just have an aero bottle and get refills, there are normally more than enough stations.
2014-01-09 2:40 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

For those people that use the refillable drinking systems (usually in the aero bars), how it that typically handled logistically?

Do they just grab a fresh bottle on the go, dump it into their refillable bottle as they ride and stick the empty in a cage until they can discard it at the next station?  Or do they stop at the station, fill up, and discard before moving on?

2014-01-09 2:59 PM
in reply to: jrensink78

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jrensink78

For those people that use the refillable drinking systems (usually in the aero bars), how it that typically handled logistically?

Do they just grab a fresh bottle on the go, dump it into their refillable bottle as they ride and stick the empty in a cage until they can discard it at the next station?  Or do they stop at the station, fill up, and discard before moving on?

I only keep water in my aero bottle, so at each aid station I SLOW DOWN first, grab the full water bottle, empty it into my aero bottle while riding through the station, and toss the empty water bottle at the end of the aid station. 

If you need to toss an empty bottle to make room on your frame, you can do it at the beginning of the aid station.

2014-01-10 11:32 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

I've used a bladder backpack for HIM's and Oly's, quite effectively. I like not having to slow down and worring about other riders slowing/stopping at the aid stations.

For a full IM, I don't think a 3L (100oz) backpack is sufficient by any means. I drank approx. 300oz of water/Perform/Infinit during IMLou, although conditions were very different than you will experience in Wales.
I would suggest just using a couple of caged bottles, and getting an aero bottle up front. I tried to drink about 3 bottles (2:1 water:Perform) between each aid station.

2014-01-11 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4925491

Thanks everyone, really useful info.

I guess the backpack would mean I could avoid the early stations and maybe make up some time from the swim, then supplement as necessary. It's an easy way to carry fluids, and one I'll be used to from training.

Anyway, I'll probably change my mind about it countless times before the event and then end up not taking it anyway, lol.
2014-01-11 5:00 PM

User image

Canyon, Texas
I use a 70oz Camelbak for my training rides, worked great for my HIM. I plan to use it for my IMs this year, just keeping an extra full bladder in bike SN. I like it because it is necessary for me in training; I like to closely emulate my training conditions in races, especially regarding type and frequency of bike hydration.... no surprises, no guesswork, just consistent and predictable.
2014-01-12 10:25 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I've done 4 IMs,plus 3 as relay or Aquabikes, been to about 6 more and very very few athletes use bladder backpacks...maybe I see 1-3 people at each race.

No need as you have a completely catered race why carry all that weight when you can get cold water or other sports drink ever 10 miles?

I see that training with it makes life easier. When I train I use aerobottle, one on downtube and have room for 2 behind my seat. I only need to refill once on a long ride otherwise I use bottles to fill out my aerobottle which is what I do it a race.

I ditch the 2 bottle holder for the race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike hydration using bladder backpack in the race Rss Feed