Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-02-05 8:21 PM
in reply to: bradword

Master
, California
Subject: RE: NFL Playoffs

Originally posted by bradword

I keep seeing people trying to justify running into the kicker, except there is none.  It's very clear he runs into and rolls the ankle on the plant foot.  Zero question it is a 15 yard penalty that was agreed it was incorrect by all the experts.

If you step frame by frame from this point, he clearly lands on the defender's hand before the defender's shoulder hits his leg.  You may not like the way the rule reads, but that's running-into.

The "experts" on TV were not quoting the entire rule.

2014-02-05 8:52 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by spudone

Btw, I know this is probably adding fuel to the fire, but click really slowly over that video during the running into the kicker penalty.  It's a subtle rule and I hadn't read it in detail until just now.

If his plant foot is down and the Seattle player hits it, it's roughing (1a).  But if his foot comes down on the Seattle player (in this case, Maragos's left hand), it means the defender slid under him and it's running into the kicker (2b).  From the 2nd video angle at 7:02, looks like the latter.

The rule also says when in doubt, it's roughing.  But maybe the ref had a better view.

Official rulebook:

Item 1: Roughing the kicker
It is a foul for roughing the kicker if a defensive player:
(a) contacts the plant leg of the kicker while his kicking leg is still in the air; or
(b) slides into or contacts the kicker when both of the kicker’s feet are on the ground.
It is not a foul if the contact is not severe, or if the kicker returns both feet to the ground prior to the contact and falls over a defender who is on the ground.
Note: When in doubt, it is a foul for roughing the kicker.

Item 2: Running into the Kicker
It is a foul for running into the kicker if a defensive player:
(a) contacts the kicking foot of the kicker, even if the kicker is airborne when the contact occurs; or
(b) slides under the kicker, preventing him from returning both feet to the ground.

Roughing the kicker: it is a foul for roughing the kicker if a defensive player contacts the plant leg of the kicker while his kicking leg is still in the air.

Sure he landed on his hand, but then the Seattle player rolled over his leg. If he simply landed on his hand that would be roughing, like if his whole body was under the plant leg, but as soon as he made contact (rolling over) the kicking leg it should have been roughing. Also, the rule states that when in doubt, it's roughing. Seeing how everyone on every TV program has called it a missed roughing call, i'm going to say that it was a missed call.
2014-02-05 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

Originally posted by bradword

I keep seeing people trying to justify running into the kicker, except there is none.  It's very clear he runs into and rolls the ankle on the plant foot.  Zero question it is a 15 yard penalty that was agreed it was incorrect by all the experts.

If you step frame by frame from this point, he clearly lands on the defender's hand before the defender's shoulder hits his leg.  You may not like the way the rule reads, but that's running-into.

The "experts" on TV were not quoting the entire rule.

That is a rather creative reading of the rules. So, extending this argument, if any part of the defender lands under the punter, all further contact can not be ruled roughing?

2014-02-05 9:25 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

Master
, California

Originally posted by uclamatt2007

That is a rather creative reading of the rules. So, extending this argument, if any part of the defender lands under the punter, all further contact can not be ruled roughing?

Not creative, just that the rule deals with "into" versus "under", and who contacted whom.

This play is the perfect storm because it's not the initial contact but the continuing slide that causes the injury.

2014-02-05 9:32 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

Originally posted by uclamatt2007

Not creative, just that the rule deals with "into" versus "under", and who contacted whom.

This play is the perfect storm because it's not the initial contact but the continuing slide that causes the injury.

The landing on the hand points to running into the kicker.

The sliding into the ankle points to roughing the kicker.

I believe the rule also reads that when there is a question between the two penalties, roughing the kicker is to be called. Landing on the hand doesn't excuse the defender making contact with the plant leg with his shoulder.
2014-02-06 10:57 AM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

You niner fans are completely skipping over the part of the rule that was quoted earlier... "It is not a foul if the contact is not severe".

That contact was in no way severe IMO and was completely accidental. The refs did the right thing by not handing you a freebie based on incidental "non-severe" contact. 

If I were a niner fan I would be b&tching about the turnovers they had.

Funny how when a fan base other than one's own cries and whines about a "missed call" or terrible ref's it is easy to tell them to shut up. Then when it is one's own team that you feel has gotten the short end, it becomes the end of the world. 

Anyway, as a GB fan with no dog in the fight, Seattle won that game fair and square IMO. Yes the bad call on the interception was a bad call, but it had little to no impact on the outcome of the game. The rest is just football.

2014-02-06 12:37 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Aarondb4

You niner fans are completely skipping over the part of the rule that was quoted earlier... "It is not a foul if the contact is not severe".

That contact was in no way severe IMO and was completely accidental. The refs did the right thing by not handing you a freebie based on incidental "non-severe" contact. 

Funny how when a fan base other than one's own cries and whines about a "missed call" or terrible ref's it is easy to tell them to shut up. Then when it is one's own team that you feel has gotten the short end, it becomes the end of the world. 

Anyway, as a GB fan with no dog in the fight, Seattle won that game fair and square IMO. Yes the bad call on the interception was a bad call, but it had little to no impact on the outcome of the game. The rest is just football.

To continue to beat the dead horse....

You say the hit on the kicker wasn't severe? We had to decline the penalty, allowing them better field position, because our punter limped off, was being treated for the rolled ankle and couldn't punt again until later in the game. Seems severe enough to warrant the roughing call.
2014-02-06 12:42 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by papson14

To continue to beat the dead horse.... You say the hit on the kicker wasn't severe? We had to decline the penalty, allowing them better field position, because our punter limped off, was being treated for the rolled ankle and couldn't punt again until later in the game. Seems severe enough to warrant the roughing call.

Haha I'll split some hairs for ya. The initial contact was not severe, the ending result may have been more severe, but that was due to his foot rolling, not due to force trauma from the contact. 

Kinda like if you slap someone and they fall down some stairs and break a leg. The contact was not severe, but the result was. 

:P 

Your turn, keep it goin!

2014-02-06 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4926133

User image

Elite
Penalties are for actions, not for resulting severity. Period. It was roughing the kicker and first down. Does not matter how you want to slice it. It's a game of inches.
2014-02-06 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

Originally posted by papson14

To continue to beat the dead horse.... You say the hit on the kicker wasn't severe? We had to decline the penalty, allowing them better field position, because our punter limped off, was being treated for the rolled ankle and couldn't punt again until later in the game. Seems severe enough to warrant the roughing call.

Haha I'll split some hairs for ya. The initial contact was not severe, the ending result may have been more severe, but that was due to his foot rolling, not due to force trauma from the contact. 

Kinda like if you slap someone and they fall down some stairs and break a leg. The contact was not severe, but the result was. 

:P 

Your turn, keep it goin!

So you're saying as long as my initial contact is not severe I can basically get away with anything after the fact? The punter did nothing out of the ordinary, the defenders momentum put his hand under the plant leg then his body followed and rolled up on the leg. Defenders have to be responsible for their entire action. If a DB hits a WR in the shoulder first but then the head, he'll still get called for hit to the head. Should be the same here.

I have to get off my butt and get on the bike now.
2014-02-06 1:15 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by powerman Penalties are for actions, not for resulting severity. Period. It was roughing the kicker and first down. Does not matter how you want to slice it. It's a game of inches.

You are arguing for running into the kicker then. The rule says no foul if contact is not severe. That contact was not severe.

Anyway, I think the rule needs a bit of a wording change anyway. 15 yards and first down should be reserved for blatant intentional fouls, not for a guy just trying to make a play and having incidental contact at the end of it. 

If the niners wanted a first down they should have earned it. Maybe use that "dual threat" bicep kissing QB of theirs.

2014-02-06 1:22 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Does anyone else find the rule, the way it reads, troubling.  I thought the whole purpose of the rule was to protect the punter while he is vulnerable.  Why would sticking your hand, or any other part of your body, under the punter's plant foot only be counted as running into the kicker.  I imagine that when a punter comes down with all his weight on one foot, and his other leg is still up in the air...that's a good way to get a severe ankle sprain.

If I was a punter, I would rather get pushed in the chest and flown 2-3 yards backwards rather than have people under my plant foot.

2014-02-07 12:13 AM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID

Originally posted by powerman Penalties are for actions, not for resulting severity. Period. It was roughing the kicker and first down. Does not matter how you want to slice it. It's a game of inches.

You are arguing for running into the kicker then. The rule says no foul if contact is not severe. That contact was not severe.

Anyway, I think the rule needs a bit of a wording change anyway. 15 yards and first down should be reserved for blatant intentional fouls, not for a guy just trying to make a play and having incidental contact at the end of it. 

If the niners wanted a first down they should have earned it. Maybe use that "dual threat" bicep kissing QB of theirs.

You obviously do not know how to read a rule and know nothing about football.  Amazing.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NFL Playoffs Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

NFL Playoffs Pages: 1 2

Started by uclamatt2007
Views: 3090 Posts: 44

2012-01-19 12:54 PM Doughboy

Marathon vs. NFL Playoff Game Pages: 1 2

Started by mindy00
Views: 2820 Posts: 33

2012-01-17 6:27 PM mindy00