General Discussion Triathlon Talk » strength training, tri and injury prevention experiences? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-07 5:28 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: strength training, tri and injury prevention experiences?

Looking to hear from others on this...

I have lifted, in some capacity, since my late teen years.  After starting tri training in late 2012, I backed off weights and did only body-weight only exercises in 2013.  As my tri training hours increased, I then dropped body weight strength training completely by mid-July and have not been strength training at all in attempt to minimize any weight from muscle mass that isn't specifically a result of tri training.  FWIW, I'm fairly lean but have quite a bit of hypertrophy--especially upper body.  My thought was if I could lose a bit of this muscle mass, I could improve my run.

Unfortunately, I have been plagued by lower leg injuries since this fall and that has been taking a toll on my running. (I have never had lower leg injuries or anything chronic to speak of--40yo)  It didn't occur to me until recently that my lack of strength training could be a contributor.  So as I plan my 2014, I'm thinking I'm going to go back to some regular weight training and see what happens.

Do any of you have any enlightening stories or experience to share regarding your strength training and injury(prevention)?

2014-01-08 3:48 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: strength training, tri and injury prevention experiences?

Actually, I had major ITB issues after my IM in 2005, I battled tracking issues in '04 training for my first marathon. My running became non-existent over several months as I couldn't go a mile.

Months of PT, etc, it was slooooowly getting better? Not really sure. I wasn't seeing progress. Then I started weight training since it was winter and I couldn't run anyway...toned up, and my issues went away.

Since then, I've been a huge proponent of strength work. For me (and the tri die-hards will shun this), so much cardio doesn't leave the body balanced, even if it is 3 sports.

How much are you trying to improve your run? You're already a strong AG'er, right? What's the end game? If it's just to 'be better', it doesn't seem (based on your post) that it's worth your overall health & body comp.

You're still a strong, fit woman. Thankfully you have years of strength behind you. I'd tell any woman to not neglect some kind of strength routine for bone health, but I think you're way ahead of the general population there.

2014-01-08 4:12 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Hey Comet!  Thanks for the post :) Hope your 2014 is off to a great start!

I'm a decent AGer, but, yeah, I'd like to be better.  You never really know until you do it, but I'm *pretty sure* my run would improve if I was lighter.  That was why I stopped lifting, as my BF didn't really have anywhere to go. 

But after this string of injuries, there's no way I'm going to be "better" at anything if I'm not healthy, so it's kinda moot :)  I also miss lifting, which I didn't think about when I quit.  I thought I would just be busy with s/b/r and that would replace the lifting.  I'm very curious about going back to it now, and seeing if I can get this leg stuff to go away. 

ITB and tracking?  And now you're good to go, right?  Running ultras and everything?  Hmmm.  That's very interesting...

2014-01-08 4:22 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Originally posted by switch

Hey Comet!  Thanks for the post Hope your 2014 is off to a great start!

I'm a decent AGer, but, yeah, I'd like to be better.  You never really know until you do it, but I'm *pretty sure* my run would improve if I was lighter.  That was why I stopped lifting, as my BF didn't really have anywhere to go. 

But after this string of injuries, there's no way I'm going to be "better" at anything if I'm not healthy, so it's kinda moot   I also miss lifting, which I didn't think about when I quit.  I thought I would just be busy with s/b/r and that would replace the lifting.  I'm very curious about going back to it now, and seeing if I can get this leg stuff to go away. 

ITB and tracking?  And now you're good to go, right?  Running ultras and everything?  Hmmm.  That's very interesting...

I have not had any overuse injury or 'issue' since that fall '05-beginning of 2006. (I had one major leg injury, that was not related to any of this. More 'traumatic' I would say.)

I get what you're saying. With more muscle comes more mass and you feel a disadvantage to those skinny SBR ladies

I'm guessing there is some kind of balance. What about walking? Do you have time to up the walking to lose some mass while doing less intense lifting?

2014-01-08 4:54 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

LOL-- skinny sbr ladies! No chit! I'm really in the wrong sport :)

I walk 3-4 miles/day in addition to s/b/r.  I'm not sure if I could increase that much.

My BF is really pretty low (11-12%), to lose 10lbs, a percentage of that would have to be muscle.

The last few years I lifted pretty heavy weight--6-8 reps, 2-3 sets, circuit of compound moves with minimal rest.  I'm wondering if I didn't lift quite so heavy if I could reap the injury prevention stuff and minimize mass increase.  I'll need to experiment a bit.  I haven't actually lifted heavy while tri training, so maybe I just won't get the mass increase because the cals aren't there...but I'll have to not put them there either;)

2014-01-09 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4926456

User image

New user
I used to have hip mobility issues caused by a weak posterior chain, which caused back and hip pain so severe I was seeing a chiro. Suddenly when I started lifting heavy my pain just seemed to disappear.
I kept up the weight training all through my sprint training last year and only had some minor Achilles discomfort.. no hip or knee issues at all. I credit it to a strong core and a focus on strengthening posterior chain. After my experience I will always be an advocate of women lifting heavy

2014-01-15 11:55 PM
in reply to: CincyMom

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Hey CincyMom, thanks for the reply and welcome to BT!

Stories like yours are the thing I'm hanging my hat on right now :)  I am excited to see what happens. 

2014-01-17 3:34 AM

User image

windsor, Ontario
I'm finding that even with my patella stabilizer, that my knee hurts like a you know what when I ride the bike. Any ideas on how I can help the pain, because it's a sharp one and very painful.
2014-01-23 1:03 AM
in reply to: GregDufour

I think you should go through the jumper's knee book as in this book good tips are given to get rid of knee pain problem.
2014-01-23 12:20 PM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

Queen BTich

Originally posted by GregDufour I'm finding that even with my patella stabilizer, that my knee hurts like a you know what when I ride the bike. Any ideas on how I can help the pain, because it's a sharp one and very painful.

When was the last time you got a bike fit?

2014-01-26 5:36 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I usually lift 2-3 times a week for about half an hour at a time. You wouldn't know it from looking at me but I've been lifting on and off since 14 or 15 (44 now). What I do now is mainly injury prevention stuff that has been recommended by a PT, mainly for chronic piriformis/hamstring issues. Lots of core and glute/hamstring work. With this stuff, my understanding is you go for more reps with somewhat lighter weight, and go to exhaustion, meaning as long as you can hold good form on the set. If time is limited (it usually is LOL), I choose the heaviest weight I can do a set number of reps at (usually 12-20) with good form, and do 2-3 sets of each, rotating arms and core/lower body stuff. Last year when I hurt my elbow, after I was able to lift again the PT recommended some exercises with free weights. I discovered that somehow these benefited my swim stroke and made me faster than before, esp. in open water, and my stroke got a lot smoother. So I've kept them up even though the injury hasn't bothered me for over a year now. My experience is that strength training in combination with stretching, massage, and other methods IS effective as injury prevention and treatment, esp. as one gets older.

For building muscle mass/strength, you would focus more on shorter sets with heavier weights. I've been doing this on and off for years, mainly out of vanity. I have a really small frame and have always been self-conscious about looking scrawny/weak; it doesn't help that I've been asked by total strangers if I'm anorexic, and at a tri start if I could handle 1500m OWS. (Uh, that was one of my events in HS! That and butterfly.) Anyway, the higher weight/low rep stuff is best for building muscle mass, though how much seems to really depend on body type and chemistry; it does build strength, though. Some of my colleagues joke that I have the body of a middle school student, but they know better than to arm-wrestle me!

I don't know if you could lose muscle mass that you already have, though, by lifting lighter weights, or whether you would want to. Being a bit heavier and more muscular has its advantages--I get creamed by women like you on the bike.

2014-02-22 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Originally posted by Comet

Actually, I had major ITB issues after my IM in 2005, I battled tracking issues in '04 training for my first marathon. My running became non-existent over several months as I couldn't go a mile.

Months of PT, etc, it was slooooowly getting better? Not really sure. I wasn't seeing progress. Then I started weight training since it was winter and I couldn't run anyway...toned up, and my issues went away.

Since then, I've been a huge proponent of strength work. For me (and the tri die-hards will shun this), so much cardio doesn't leave the body balanced, even if it is 3 sports.

How much are you trying to improve your run? You're already a strong AG'er, right? What's the end game? If it's just to 'be better', it doesn't seem (based on your post) that it's worth your overall health & body comp.

You're still a strong, fit woman. Thankfully you have years of strength behind you. I'd tell any woman to not neglect some kind of strength routine for bone health, but I think you're way ahead of the general population there.

This
2014-02-26 2:09 PM
in reply to: CincyMom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Strength. Hmm. I do a weight routine 2x a week. I also do a number of other strength related moves with kettle bells, medicine balls and bands around my ankles.
I too have been plagued by injuries - mostly below the knee. Achilles on both sides, at different times.
Now all I do is strengthen hips, back, hamstrings and calfs. In that order.
My bike is stronger, my swim is stronger - running ? Hopefully soon.

Yoga helps a lot too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » strength training, tri and injury prevention experiences? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Strength Training routine from Tri Training Bible.

Started by Divemedic
Views: 2188 Posts: 1

2013-06-16 8:26 PM Divemedic

Shoulder injury prevention

Started by opeleroy
Views: 4919 Posts: 6

2011-07-11 7:30 AM TriMyBest

Training program for both Strength & Tri endurance

Started by LMST
Views: 2704 Posts: 6

2009-10-14 12:19 PM Jtiger

My first experience with strength training

Started by Plissken74
Views: 1146 Posts: 3

2009-01-15 3:00 PM Plissken74

Good exercise for posterior knee injury prevention?

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 1965 Posts: 5

2009-01-07 12:40 PM Nipper
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : May 22, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 2
This article looks into the types of exercises triathletes need to be utilizing, and why traditional methods are of little use.
date : April 27, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 5
An insight into how to train strength and condition for triathlon and endurance sports success

date : February 11, 2008
author : AMSSM
As I begin to ramp up my training I was wondering if there is any evidence of strength training or weight lifting for reducing injuries?
date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.

date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.
date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?

date : May 30, 2005
author : smeeko
A few factors are at the basis of increasing running speed. In my experience these factors are: variety, “pain,” time and injury prevention.