General Discussion Triathlon Talk » West Michigan Swim Coach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-11 10:46 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Subject: West Michigan Swim Coach
Hello all-

I am new to BT and to triathlon as a whole (this year will be my first). I am participating in Wannabefaster's mentor group and he mentioned taht there were some knowledgeable people here on the Michigan thread.

My situation is this, I have no swim background to speak of and am looking at getting some lessons. I have contacted the downtown GR YMCA regarding my age, background, and goals and inquiring about some private swim lessons. It has been a challenge to get return phone calls and scheduling has been a problem so far.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a triathlon focused swim coach in the GR area that they would recommend?

Thank you for any thoughts.

2014-01-12 11:02 PM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: West Michigan Swim Coach
While it hasn't been finalized yet, it looks like I am going to be coaching the swimming portion of a triathlon class at the Grandville YMCA. I believe it is going to start in March or April (they haven't yet decided if it is going to be 1 or 2 sessions). The ultimate goal is for participants to ramp in to the Jenison triathlon in mid May. The Y is limited to 2 hours per week for their programs, so there will be one group cycle class and one swim session each week. I should be clear, though, that the swimming portion is not necessarily a "learn to swim" focus, but more intended for those who can swim a little bit but need to improve to get through their first triathlon.

I have been a master's swim coach before, but I have never been a coach for beginning swimmers. I do know that the Y does have people set up that can do that, but I am not sure who they are. I don't go to the downtown Y, so I am not sure who they have. I do know you could contact the aquatics director in Grandville (different per facility) if you wanted to check with them.

Let me know if I can be of more assistance.
2014-01-14 7:36 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Thanks for the help. I would certainly hope my March or April I would be far enough along to potentially take advantage of your session in Grandville so please keep me informed once you know the specifics. Hopefully it work in schedule wise to get out to Grandville as that is about 30 minutes for me. I am actually considering Jenison as my first triathlon so it might work out perfectly.

I can swim some, just probably not correctly, that is what I'm trying to address. I have never swam actual laps or focused on proper form, breathing, etc...but I have swam probably 1/2 - 3/4 mile just in lakes and stuff in the summer. I just want to get about doing it correctly.

Thanks again for the thoughts.
2014-01-18 12:38 PM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
call mvp sportsplex in gr on belt line east paris and get hooked up with josh fox, done
2014-02-12 8:48 AM

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

While it hasn't been finalized yet, it looks like I am going to be coaching the swimming portion of a triathlon class at the Grandville YMCA. I believe it is going to start in March or April (they haven't yet decided if it is going to be 1 or 2 sessions). The ultimate goal is for participants to ramp in to the Jenison triathlon in mid May. The Y is limited to 2 hours per week for their programs, so there will be one group cycle class and one swim session each week. I should be clear, though, that the swimming portion is not necessarily a "learn to swim" focus, but more intended for those who can swim a little bit but need to improve to get through their first triathlon.

I have been a master's swim coach before, but I have never been a coach for beginning swimmers. I do know that the Y does have people set up that can do that, but I am not sure who they are. I don't go to the downtown Y, so I am not sure who they have. I do know you could contact the aquatics director in Grandville (different per facility) if you wanted to check with them.

MSU Brad
I think I would be interested in the grandville y training session(s). Do you have any further info on this? Cost? Dates? I'm considering Jenison tri as first one...
Thanks
2014-02-13 9:16 AM
in reply to: jrob

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by jrob

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

MSU Brad
I think I would be interested in the grandville y training session(s). Do you have any further info on this? Cost? Dates? I'm considering Jenison tri as first one...
Thanks

Hey jrob,

I know they still want to do this program, but they are having a hard time finding someone to do the bike portion of the triathlon class. Due to the nature of my job, I can't commit to doing both the swim and the bike sessions (and I've never coached a bike portion before anyways). I think they would actually want to have two sessions, with one potentially starting later this month and another starting in March or early April, if I recall correctly.

It's being organized by the aquatics director at the Grandville Y. You can contact her for current status and more information. Her name is Kara Batt.

Let me know if I can help any more...

2014-02-19 7:32 PM

Ok thank you Brad.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » West Michigan Swim Coach Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimming west Michigan

Started by birdog41
Views: 847 Posts: 3

2010-08-18 11:15 AM birdog41

Anybody in West Michigan???? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by rabbitar
Views: 8315 Posts: 84

2010-08-10 3:37 PM BoredAgent

West Michigan Triathlon

Started by mdslngr
Views: 1220 Posts: 5

2009-08-09 6:50 AM anadeaa

New in West Michigan

Started by sigepbrad
Views: 1303 Posts: 14

2009-02-03 11:43 PM Shermbelle

Awesome West Michigan Hill Ride

Started by grandhavenbill
Views: 1201 Posts: 7

2008-04-15 8:43 PM smdeur
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : May 3, 2005
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.

date : August 31, 2004
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.