General Discussion Triathlon Talk » slow cooker and/or one-pot recipes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-12 12:59 PM

Subject: slow cooker and/or one-pot recipes?
Hey folks.

My wife and I both work, and finding time to prepare meals is not easy for us given our work/commuting/training schedules. One of our new year's resolutions is to do better with dinners, and we'd like (need) some help.

Do any of you have some good healthy, non-dairy, fairly easy to prepare crockpot/slow cooker recipes? And if they use frozen skinless chicken breasts, even better. We'd be open to easy to prepare non-dairy one-pot type recipes too.

My idea of fairly easy to prepare is relatively light prep (some chopping and measuring is fine), toss things into the crockpot/slow cooker and come back hours later for dinner.

The only good one we use right now involves: mixing a can of black beans, a can of corn (both rinsed) and a 1/2 jar of salsa at the bottom of the crockpot. Put 4 frozen skinless chicken breasts on top, and spoon out the rest of the salsa on top of the chicken. Medium heat for 6 hours, and voila.

Huge thanks in advance to all.

2014-01-13 9:59 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Subject: RE: slow cooker and/or one-pot recipes?
Always looking for new ideas!

I am a big fan of sauteed veggies. I chop up a bunch of veggies when I get them, then sautee them with a bit of olive oil and mix them with some quinoa made in a batch over the weekend. I've been trying to stay seasonal with the veggies (because those are always cheaper and look better!) so right now it's sweet potato (sometimes I do this in a big batch on the weekend and refrigerate them for later in the week), kale, carrots, beets, brussel sprouts, onion, squash... Takes maybe 15 minutes, can be done in one large skillet! If you want chicken, do that over the weekend as well and mix in chopped up bits at the end of the sautee to heat. Perhaps throw in some sliced almonds for a crunch.

Start with the onion first over medium heat in olive oil, when tender then add beets/carrots, then the brussel sprouts/squash, last kale/chard. Pull off stove, mix with quinoa and serve. I sometimes add in a can of chopped (and drained) artichoke hearts. Yummy.
2014-01-13 11:28 AM

User image

New user
Seattle
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Hey folks.

My wife and I both work, and finding time to prepare meals is not easy for us given our work/commuting/training schedules. One of our new year's resolutions is to do better with dinners, and we'd like (need) some help.

Do any of you have some good healthy, non-dairy, fairly easy to prepare crockpot/slow cooker recipes? And if they use frozen skinless chicken breasts, even better. We'd be open to easy to prepare non-dairy one-pot type recipes too.

My idea of fairly easy to prepare is relatively light prep (some chopping and measuring is fine), toss things into the crockpot/slow cooker and come back hours later for dinner.

The only good one we use right now involves: mixing a can of black beans, a can of corn (both rinsed) and a 1/2 jar of salsa at the bottom of the crockpot. Put 4 frozen skinless chicken breasts on top, and spoon out the rest of the salsa on top of the chicken. Medium heat for 6 hours, and voila.

Well, I was just going to steer you towards a slow-cooker recipe article that Cooking LIght had in their December 2013 issue, but I see they have a link that has over 100 recipes, so I will just link that here:

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/top-rated-recipes/slow-cooker-favo...

There are actually a couple I will be trying in the next few days, so I will let you know how those are for ease of preparation and cooking, and of course, taste.
2014-01-13 1:31 PM

User image

Regular
Hey there! There is a super easy recipe for chuck roast on my website. It takes virtually zero prep besides putting the meat in. No cutting or chopping anything. You could serve it with rice or veggies.

http://www.tasteofdivine.com/slow-cooker-recipe-chuck-roast/

2014-01-13 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
2014-01-13 2:36 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by GAUG3 http://paleomg.com/category/crockpot/

Which recipes do you recommend from that site?

I made the breakfast pie one last year and it was horrible. Such a waste of ingredients.

2014-01-13 8:29 PM

User image

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Delightful-Indian-Coconut-Vegetarian-C...

We just made this the other day..if you like curry. You can also add chicken...it was delicious
2014-01-15 4:46 PM

User image

New user
Seattle
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Hey folks.

So we tried this recipe at home last night

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-verde-504000001...

It tasted amazing! We actually made the salsa verde the day before and kept it in the fridge overnight, just to cut down on prep time. It was nice and moist, and had a lot of flavor. I'm sure the cornstarch would thicken the salsa a bit more, especially after the chicken juices thin it out, but we left this ingredient out since we didn't have any at home and didn't want to buy a large amount just for one recipe. We had some refried beans with this as well as some avocado. Definitely worth making.
2014-01-16 8:40 AM
in reply to: jnmrunner

Thanks everyone! Def some good ideas.
2014-01-21 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
Here's a great idea! Take 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and trim any visible fat. Cut them in half or cut them so that they are all roughly the same size. Put them in a crock-pot. Take a carrot and a stalk of celery and wash and cut in 2 or 3 pieces and throw on top. Quarter an onion and if you have a small sweet pepper throw that in there as well. Salt and pepper everthing and cook on high for 5-6 hours. Discard the veggies and shred the chicken and you now have chicken to put on salads or in salads on sandwiches or just to eat. You can put it in quesadillas. Whatever you need cooked diced chicken for. I usually do this twice a week.

Jami
2014-01-23 11:07 AM
in reply to: jdotten

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Brian,

Not sure if this is "Healthy" enough for you or if you have kids that will be eating this but one of my favorites is "Drunken Chicken"

Put thawed chicken breasts into crockpot, crack a beer and pour over the chicken. Add some hot sauce and Salt, pepper, crushed red peppers and a little bit of apple cider vinegar. Close the top, turn on and leave for 8 hours. Top with some BBQ sauce.

2014-02-16 1:53 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

I use my crockpot alot. I work 3rd shift so I fill it in the morning and by the time the daughter and wife get home I have a good meal ready.

Try taking a turkey breast, about 5-7 pounds, just the breast, rub down with olive oil. Then ake a dry pack of soup mix, like onion or even ranch and rub that onto the skin. Take your fingers and poke a hole under the skin as you pull it back. Stuff some stick butter under the skin. Cook on low for 8 hours.

Again turkey breast. Mix some brown sugar with lemon juice, a litte tumeric and cinamon and coat, again low heat for the day.

A small 3-5 pound ham, slice some whole pinapple and lay on bottom. Slice the ham across the top in a few spot and stuff some pinapple wedges in it. Take the pinapple juice and mix some brown sugar in it, pour that over it and let it cook.

Pork roast 3-4 pounds. Slice some of your favorite apples.and layer the bottom of the pot. Lay cinammon sticks acorrrs the apples. Lay the roast on top of the sticks toss a few apples slices aroudn the sides and top. Sprinkle a litte Tumeric and cinnamon on top. Cook on low.

Google White chili and you will find some chicken reciepes.

Joe
2014-03-03 2:59 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

Regular
Pulled Pork:

3# sirloin pork roast
Season with salt and pepper
brown in oil in a skillet
place in crock pot and top with one sliced onion (in rings), some diced garlic, and 1 cup of regular root beer (you need the regular not diet here)

Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours
Shred with forks and toss with sauce

Sauce: 3 cups regular root beer and 1 cup chili sauce. bring to a boil and simmer to reduce to roughly 2 cups in a pot on stove top.

makes a bunch, serve on rolls, alone, over mashed potatos...it's all good.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » slow cooker and/or one-pot recipes? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need Crock Pot Chili Recipe for Superbowl

Started by Lisa B
Views: 2874 Posts: 16

2009-02-02 9:08 PM TrevorC

HELP! I just got a crock pot Pages: 1 2

Started by Focker
Views: 4419 Posts: 30

2009-01-06 3:29 PM phoenixazul

Favorite slow cooker recipes?

Started by madkat
Views: 1951 Posts: 13

2007-01-13 10:28 PM Ten9T6

Frankendrink(tm) Recipe

Started by scuba-punk
Views: 893 Posts: 1

2004-11-19 8:11 PM scuba-punk

energy bar recipe + nutrional content

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 893 Posts: 3

2004-11-18 7:34 PM piggpen35
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
If you are looking for a simple, yet special, gift for your running buddy, teammate, or active friend, enjoy making one of these recipes that will be sure to please any hungry athlete.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : May 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Are your long workouts approaching 3 hours? Can't seem to eat enough or time your nutrition? Use the following calorie recommendations and recipes to create your own meal plan.

date : November 20, 2007
author : mrakes1
Depending on the length of your workout, there are several options to choose for a post-workout snack. Includes 3 smoothy recipes for workouts over 2-3 hours.
date : October 3, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Whether you want to analyze your sports diet, get an answer to your questions about creatine, or find a new recipe for chicken, you can get an amazing amount of health information on the web.

date : July 10, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?