General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon of Compassion - CFB Esquimalt Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triathlon of Compassion - CFB Esquimalt - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada
Runners of Compassion
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 11s
Overall Rank = 116/147
Age Group = F20-24
Age Group Rank = 19/24
Pre-race routine:

Got up and had breakfast: tea, cereal with rice milk, and one piece of toast with Jam. Took a quick, hot shower to wake up a bit. Stuffed all my gear into my bag, grabbed my bike, and headed out the door with James and Disco in tow. They were my cheering squad. :)
Event warmup:

We got to the race site about an hour and a half before my heat started, so I checked in, got marked, set up my transition amidst piles and piles of goose poo, and then hung out and chatted with Hazel and Allison and Judi for a while. Once we got there, I felt pretty calm, but I was a bit snappy at home. Ask James.
Swim
  • 11m 11s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was good. There was tons of time between heats, so we had plenty of time to warmup. I swam a continuous 200m at a nice easy pace, but there was still more time. So I swam a couple of 50s at a faster pace to stay warm while we waited. I think this was a good strategy because I felt great starting the swim. There were only three people in my lane, while some others had four. I started in the middle and went out strong but controlled. My goggles started to leak almost immediately because, even though they were fine during the warmup, the strap started to loosen on the right side as I swam, letting more and more water in. Good thing I've gotten used to swimming with an eyeful of water. The salt water pool was nice, but I didn't notice any extra buoyancy.

I caught the first swimmer pretty quickly and was planning on just sitting on her feet for a bit. I didn't ever tap her toes, but her spidey sense must have been tingling, because she stopped at the wall to let me pass. I couldn't really explain to her that I didn't want to pass and was just trying to catch a draft, so I went ahead.

When I finished my 10 laps, the timer said, "1 more!" Jerk. They had mis-counted, but I went ahead and did another, and then took it up with the race director after the race. They adjusted my time a bit, but it's still annoying.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...it was a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This transition was quite slow. I had to run through a veritable minefield of goose poo to get to the transition area. Ok, forget that -- the transition area WAS a minefield of goose poo. So I spent a lot of time cleaning off my feet. Let's face it people: I definitely wasn't going to win the race, and I definitely didn't want to spend the rest of the morning pounding goose poo into the soles of my feet.

Practice my transitions to make them a little faster. I need to experiment with cycling and running without socks, at least for short distances.
Bike
  • 48m 1s
  • 19 kms
  • 23.74 km/hr
Comments:

The 3-loop course was billed as "mostly flat." That was a lie. What the race organizers meant by "mostly flat" was "continuously either uphill or downhill." Let's get one thing straight people: just because the overall net elevation change is zero does NOT mean the course is flat.

I felt really good on the bike, and for the first time ever I passed someone going UPhill! I tried to push it a bit more on the bike since I knew the run would be really short (but hilly). It was fun to see James and Disco on the bike course cheering for me. Overall, I felt good on the bike, ate my gels at the appropriate times, and came off feeling good for the run.

I think my bike time includes T1 and T2 times, too. I wasn't very skilled with my watch today.

Not much...it was a good ride, even though it wasn't particularly fast. The hill workouts have paid off because, even though I'm not really quick up the hills, I can do the much more comfortably than I could before.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This transition was definitely faster than T1, but I could still use some more transition practice.

Practice transitions.
Run
  • 30m 59s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 12s  min/km
Comments:

I felt good starting the run. Coming out of transition, we had to go up a huge hill. I just walked it quickly, because running on rubbery legs would have been even slower. I walked up one other hill later on the course as well.

The course was indeed hilly, though I felt like I managed it pretty well. For not having done much running lately, I felt pretty great and was chatting with some other ladies on the course. I was elated to get up the final hill and cruise mostly downhill to the finish line.

I would have liked to pick up the pace a bit more during the second half of the run, but the steep hills made it hard for me to get into a groove. Maybe I should run some more hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished the race, saw hubby and Disco, and grabbed some food. Went to find the race director to get my swim time adjusted, and then headed home because there was not much going on after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

All those darn hills! Good thing Coach Carolyn really likes to make me do hill workouts. :)

Event comments:

I was kind of disappointed by the lack of post-race fanfare, but it was still a fun race and a great confidence booster after my less than stellar experience at Cowichan.

Last updated: 2006-02-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:11 | 500 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 108/147
Performance: Good
Suit: Craft top and sugoi bottoms
Course: 25m salt water pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:01 | 19 kms | 23.74 km/hr
Overall: 106/147
Wind: Little
Course: 3 laps, hilly
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:59 | 05 kms | 06m 12s  min/km
Overall: 116/147
Course: 1-loop course, VERY hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-03 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Subject: Triathlon of Compassion - CFB Esquimalt

2006-08-05 12:36 PM
in reply to: #501412

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Triathlon of Compassion - CFB Esquimalt
Good job on your race.  Sounds like you had a great time except for the goose poo. 
2006-08-05 12:49 PM
in reply to: #501412

User image

Subject: RE: Triathlon of Compassion - CFB Esquimalt

Finally, a race report!  Better late than never, eh? 

Silly lap counters.  I kinda think they did that to me, too, but I couldn't prove it.  Ah well. 

The bike course was definitely not 'mostly flat', but I wasn't all that surprised... we drove it before the race, so I had a pretty good idea of when the hills would be.  I always try to do that before a race if I can!

As for socks, have you tried rolling them up beforehand in transition?  Put 'em on, then roll them down your foot until you have a little ball of sock.  Once you dry your feet off, they're super easy to get on, takes almost no time at all.

Great job on the run - it was quite a challenging run, and you did great!  Nice hill at the start, eh?  GAH!

Lots of lessons learned.. it'll make next year a breeze

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon of Compassion - CFB Esquimalt Rss Feed