General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg and foot going numb/tingling feeling biking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-14 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Leg and foot going numb/tingling feeling biking
I really ramped up my biking the last 10 weeks or so and have a feeling this is causing my symptoms. But about 3-4 weeks ago I noticed my foot had a numb feeling to it about 15 mins into biking and some tingling feelings. It seemed to get worse as the weeks passed by. I was fine off the bike. I didn't change any of my setup on the bike. I did get a new saddle back in September so I don't know if this could be the cause or not.

It also seems to affect my running too. I noticed the same sensations start about 10 mins into the run but not as bad biking. I have been dealing with hip/glute issues too but I was mostly running at the time. I have an appointment with an ortho sports med doc next week but I want some ideas to bring up what this might be.

2014-01-14 8:43 AM
in reply to: MRDAVIDALEXANDER

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Leg and foot going numb/tingling feeling biking

how tight are your shoes?

2014-01-14 8:53 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dmiller5

how tight are your shoes?

Not tight at all. I thought this too but it was still doing it when I loosened them.
2014-01-14 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My theory is that I completed a marathon in mid October and ramped up my biking too quickly after this. I didn't give myself enough recovery and either my back is weak which is cause some nerve compression. Or my muscle are super tight/strong from the hard biking that its compressing some nerves.
2014-01-14 8:58 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Is your new saddle thinner than the previous one? You might be riding a tad lower than before. This would affect your knee angle and, in return, affect your blood circulation. Is the newer saddle at the same angle as the older one? If the nose is pointing up, this too, can affect your posture. Your hips might be lower, while your body is still trying to reach down toward the cockpit.

You mentioned that the sensation happens 15 minutes in. That's very early into a ride. You should be able to make small adjustments while riding until you fond a sweet spot.

2014-01-14 9:03 AM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by vertseven

Is your new saddle thinner than the previous one? You might be riding a tad lower than before. This would affect your knee angle and, in return, affect your blood circulation. Is the newer saddle at the same angle as the older one? If the nose is pointing up, this too, can affect your posture. Your hips might be lower, while your body is still trying to reach down toward the cockpit.

You mentioned that the sensation happens 15 minutes in. That's very early into a ride. You should be able to make small adjustments while riding until you fond a sweet spot.

Thanks. It is thinner than the previous one. The new saddle is at same angle. Should I raise the seat some?

2014-01-14 9:04 AM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by vertseven

I'm also doing all my biking on a trainer with a road bike.
2014-01-14 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

You should raise it by the difference in saddle thickness

2014-01-14 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
If all your training that is causing the numbness is happening on a trainer - try standing up on the pedals and moving around a little more every 10 minutes or so.

My gut reaction to this is you need to get refit - your fit will change over time, especially if you changed the saddle.
2014-01-14 9:22 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by MRDAVIDALEXANDER

My theory is that I completed a marathon in mid October and ramped up my biking too quickly after this. I didn't give myself enough recovery and either my back is weak which is cause some nerve compression. Or my muscle are super tight/strong from the hard biking that its compressing some nerves.

I had similar issues in 2009. Pain started in my hip during runs, but never bothered me on the bike. It progressed quickly for me to hurting most(not real bad but annoying) of the time, until one day when I could not stand up. Lots of pain in the low back and down the left leg. For me the bike was the only time it did not hurt, but he PT explained this to me about 3 months into it.

Basically everything is connected and as my legs got stronger and my quads and hamstrings got tighter they pulled on the hip flexors which pulled through back slower compressing discs in my back until one popped. I wound up with one herniated disc and 2 compressed discs.

Basically: legs were strong, and I was not stretching enough. core was not strong enough to support it.

Depending on which area of your disc is compressing depends on what is going to hurt, for me when I bent over on the bike it was relieving the pressure on the collapsed part of the disc therefore biking did not hurt.

Months of recovery work to get back to normal, now years later I can start to feel when things are getting too tight and ramp up my core work and stretching.

Most of this came from the Physical Theripist. The Dr's ordered an MRI and wanted to cut me open and pin it. No one is cutting into my spine if I can control it in another way!
2014-01-14 10:08 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Same issue- bought Superfeet Insoles (Blue ones). Problem solved!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg and foot going numb/tingling feeling biking Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

hands tingle/going numb on a long ride

Started by amills1210
Views: 3914 Posts: 13

2010-04-26 2:54 PM frogomatic

Numb leg and foot on bike trainer

Started by xmann1102
Views: 972 Posts: 4

2010-02-21 7:08 AM monkeyboy64

feet going numb on the bike

Started by mollypocket
Views: 845 Posts: 9

2009-08-12 4:42 PM Rollin' Thunder

Foot going numb on run

Started by ADollar79
Views: 776 Posts: 3

2006-09-09 7:02 PM stairclimber8

Leg goes numb on long runs

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 1767 Posts: 6

2006-01-17 12:41 PM JeepFleeb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
Several strategies for coping with or preventing numb toes and feet

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : March 19, 2009
My issue started out as a foot pain, I kept running on it for four months while training for a marathon. Boston training is supposed to start now. What should I do?
date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.

date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.
date : August 7, 2007
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.