General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Watchers vs. Caloric Intake - help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-15 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Weight Watchers vs. Caloric Intake - help!
Hi everyone - hoping someone here can give me some insight on the subject.

I'm wondering why an item that has 500 calories accounts for 18 points. I'm a 44 year old male that burns 2,100 calories a day outside of workouts and I've lost 40 pounds on WW and kept it off for about 5 years. My current point allowance is 38 points not including weekly or exercise points.

This situation doesn't happen often, but it got me to thinking - if calories burned exceeds calories consumed, one would have to lose weight. However, three 500 calorie items at 18 points a piece would exceed my daily allowance by 16 points and I would theoretically gain weight. This happened yesterday when I had a smoothie that had 682 calories but was worth a whopping 22 points. Again, only two of these would exceed my point allowance 6 points, but I'd be in caloric deficit by 736 calories

What am I missing?

I've thought for a while now that WW may not quite fit for someone exercising 8 - 12 hours per week based on how hungry I was no matter how I adjusted my points, but maybe I don't fully understand

Thanks in advance,

twomarks

2014-01-15 2:27 PM
in reply to: twomarks

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
Subject: RE: Weight Watchers vs. Caloric Intake - help!

...and how can a 90 calorie banana be zero points?

Because Weight Watchers has structured it points in such a way that it encourages you to eat fruits and vegetables, and discourages you from eating foods with a low satiety.  Calories only make up a small part of the points formula.  

Personally I would find it really hard to do Weight Watchers and train 8-12 hours a week.  The program is designed for people who are mostly sedentary.

2014-01-16 9:55 AM

User image

Weight watchers is mostly for people who do little to no exercise. Also WW takes into account fat content especially saturated fats. Once you combine caloric intake and saturated fats, that's where the points get racked up.

I have tried the old WW "core" diet, which worked for me about 7 years ago, I lost an amazing amount fast (60 Lbs. in 6 months). Problem is I stopped, and gained it all back within a year. Last year I found out I had type 2 diabetes. I incorporated the Core diet with a lower carb diet (don't eliminate altogether). I eat about 240-300 grams of carbs a day maximum, foods and meals with no added fat, no added sugar. The only fat I add is low fat cooking sprays or extra virgin olive oil. I have lost 102 Lbs. so far and I have managed to keep it off. Incorporate with 6-8 hours of exercise a week, and consume about 1500-2000 calories a day to lose and about 2500 calories a day to maintain.

Hope this helps.
2014-01-16 10:16 AM
in reply to: Mr10670

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the help here. I'm probably going to go to My Fitness Pal. I'm just always hungry with WW. I expect a little craving, but I'm extremely hungry most of the day - especially when I wind up eating one of those 500 calories/20 point jobs.

Any other input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
2014-01-16 11:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Milwaukee
I did WW back in 2010 and lost about 30 pounds between September and right before the new year.

The plan back then was pretty easy. There was an equation for what a point equaled. I don't remember what it was exactly, but in a pinch you could just estimate that every 50 cal was a point and maybe bump it up 2-3 if it was an item with a lot of fat.

Jan 2011 they completely changed up the plan and they obfuscated the equation of how they were determining the points. You HAD to use their counters to know what anything really equaled. They also changed the number of points you were "allowed" to eat in a day. It went from a pretty standard formula of divide your weight by 10 and then there were some modifiers for if you were male or female and age...

Cut to my first meeting with the new plan. Talking to people after, it appeared that any woman that was anywhere from like 140-250+ pounds had been assigned 19(?) points. So I did LOL when I saw you say that the 500 cal item was so many points. That would be my entire days food.

I quit at that point and haven't ever regretted quitting the program.

I think the WW company is more interested in getting you dependent on them, than making you healthy.

I'm not going to advocate any other plan in particular, but there are A LOT of good free (or the cost of a book) options out there.

Edited by kskonkol 2014-01-16 11:38 AM
2014-01-16 12:42 PM
in reply to: kskonkol

User image

Veteran
I lost over 40 pounds on WW, but once I got into tris and tried to drop the last 5 lbs, it just didn't seem to work. I've gained 7 back but am losing again with My Fitness Pal.

It seems as long as I eat enough during the day so that I have a small-ish dinner, the weight drops off fairly easily.

twomarks

2014-01-16 1:17 PM

I thought you could earn more points by exercising?

Matt
2014-01-16 1:36 PM
in reply to: mstimpson

User image

Milwaukee
Originally posted by mstimpson

I thought you could earn more points by exercising?

Matt

in the circa 2010 plan, you could earn 1 point for approx every 100 cal you burned. So basically you were allowed to eat back 1/2 what you burned.

And there was always people who would say you should never eat back the exercise points. They would claim that it would stall their loses.

It was a HUGE disagreement between people.

There was also a bank of points that you could spend at your discretion throughout the week. Some people would just divide them evenly across the 7 days of the week... and then there was some people that would save them all to go eat a whole pizza on saturday (or some other silly thing).

This is totally bring back memories.
2014-01-16 5:30 PM
in reply to: kskonkol

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

I remember the old 50 calories per point rule.  It was so much simpler back then.  

As of 2012, this was the formula (it may have changed again):

PointsPlus = Protein/10.94 + Carbohydrates/9.17 + Fat/3.89 - Fiber/12.49

What bothered my most about the program was how they calculated Activity Points.   There are only 3 intensity levels, Low/Moderate and High.  When I was doing triathlon training, everything I did would fall under "High"   (even the slowest workouts I do)

If you are 200 pounds, then 60 minutes of exercise works out to:

Low Intensity:  4 points
Moderate Intensity: 6 points
High Intensity: 14 points

If I worked out really easy for 3 hours in a day, I would earn 42 activity points.  Seriously?  

2014-01-17 3:33 AM
in reply to: ultramike

User image

windsor, Ontario
I've lost 33 pounds since Nov.4th, 2013 and people have been asking what I've been doing. I've been going by the old saying "if it looks like a bad idea, then it probably is" or in this case "if it looks like it's a bad thing to eat, it probably is".
2014-01-17 8:44 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by twomarks

I had a smoothie that had 682 calories  

I know nothing about the WW system but this stood out to me as a fairly excessive amount of calories for a smoothie, if you are watching calories. Are there any substitutions or things you can swap out that would bring the calorie count down? Just thinking out loud.

2014-01-20 12:30 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Thanks Lisa,

My RMR is ~2100 so 682 didn't bother me too much. It was from Smoothie King and it had some kind of protein added to it. I've been to SK about 3 times in my life and just had to grab something quick so I wasn't very familiar with what was on offer.

With my RMR being that amount, when I ramp up training next week, it's going to be hard not to drop weight as long as I don't eat one sleeve of Girl Scout Thin Mints per day - which is entirely possible when I get my grubby hands on them.

The points - calories discrepancy is is what got me asking questions.

twomarks
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Watchers vs. Caloric Intake - help! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Caloric intake

Started by DolphinGirlMB
Views: 1726 Posts: 6

2009-02-20 11:56 AM k_hase

Caloric intake and immune system

Started by mazdageek
Views: 673 Posts: 2

2006-12-09 1:01 PM morepower4me

Caloric Intake

Started by markg72
Views: 1032 Posts: 13

2006-01-31 8:06 PM TH3_FRB

Caloric intake.

Started by piggpen35
Views: 1151 Posts: 13

2004-11-17 8:03 PM captantony

daily caloric intake

Started by emileyblue
Views: 995 Posts: 8

2004-10-15 8:26 PM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.
date : December 20, 2009
Discussions on Weight Watchers, eating out, peanut butter, agave nectar, not wanting to count calories and replacing calories burned by working out.

date : September 8, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on acclimating to the heat on race day, race caloric intake, and how lactate threshold (LT) relates to heart rate zones with changes in fitness.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.

date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.
date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 5, 2006
As hard as you try to avoid it, it calls for you each and every morning. You hate to do it, but for some uncontrollable reason, your feet find their way to the bathroom scale.