General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orlando, Florida
United States
Walt Disney World Endurance Sports
65F / 18C
Total Time = 25m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed off property this year so we had to provide our own transportation to the race start. I was a bit nervous about this process because of all the horror stories I'd heard in the past about traffic and parking so we left the hotel plenty early for the race, around 4:30 (6:15 start) and we were parked and sitting in our car listening to an Ultra Runner Podcast by 4:50. I don't really see what the big deal is! We stayed at the Holiday Inn next to Downtown Disney and had no problems any day getting to the race on time. We parked with all the other people at Epcot, they don't charge you for parking for the race, and although the traffic grew worse each day leading to the marathon, it was never absurd and we never felt nervous or anxious about getting to the race on time.
Event warmup:

Not much, just walking around, stretching as best I could.
Run
  • 25m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, that was over fast! I've never run a 5k before. Honestly, I just skipped over it and my first running only race was a 10k. I had no idea what to expect, no idea how to pace myself. I guess you just put the pedal down and run as fast as you can for 3 miles, right? I did have a big decision to make however. Since I'd never run a 5k before I wanted to go fast and hard, except this was day 1 of the Dopey Challenge (see other race reports) so I didn't want to overdo it. In the end I pretty much threw caution out the door and ran hard, for me that is. I usually train at about a 10-10:30 pace. This was fun though, running hard for a short distance like that was brutal yet I can't wait to do it again.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I'd do different, I finished feeling like I probably could not have gone much faster. Not much left in the tank and I had to stop and hold on to a fence for a few minutes to catch my breath at the finish line. Maybe I need to find a better warm up routine so I don't have to take it easy in the first mile to warm up.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walking, grabbed some fluids and food, more walking to the car then to the coffee shop and the store to stock up on food for our hotel room and the kids. Yeah, I know, we're hardcore right?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't train speed. Maybe held back a tiny bit because of the prospect of the next three days worth of races.

Event comments:

This was a good race, on time and well organized. That said, it's expensive and only worth doing because you're doing it for family time or part of the Dopey Challenge.

"Plenty of drink stations" Ha! There were two aid stations, which made me laugh since it's such a short race, but I suppose for the families they're necessary. Lots of people taking 45 minutes to an hour+ to complete this race.

Last updated: 2014-01-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:30 | 03.1 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Essentially a loop, the finish line is a couple hundred feet from the start line. Nice course winding into Epcot, around the lake and out to the finish line. Only downside is lots of turning and uncertainty of wet, morning dew pavement. Never saw anyone wipe out though.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-01-15 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Walt Disney World Family Fun Run 5K

Started by aintaround
Views: 617 Posts: 1

2013-01-11 7:44 AM aintaround

Started by joestacy
Views: 923 Posts: 1

2011-04-20 12:10 PM joestacy

Started by lcogginsjr
Views: 1209 Posts: 1

2011-01-07 7:54 PM lcogginsjr

Started by sartech37
Views: 1191 Posts: 1

2010-01-14 4:02 PM sartech37

Started by prof40
Views: 1537 Posts: 1

2010-01-12 5:53 AM prof40
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 30, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How do I find a GP/family doctor that also understands swimming/running/biking

date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : September 19, 2004
author : adumey
I am not tough. I cried during the Lion King stampede, during Armageddon when Liv Tyler collapsed on the TV as her dad wished her farewell and, most embarrassingly, E.T.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.