General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev3 Williamsburg - Olympic Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-15 7:31 PM

User image

New user

Raleigh, NC
Subject: Rev3 Williamsburg - Olympic Rev : Official Thread
Just signed up today - 5 months to go.

2014-01-15 8:00 PM
in reply to: tombones

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rev3 Williamsburg - Olympic Rev : Official Thread

Did it last year and have signed up to go again.  Good venue and the organization was great to work with.

2014-03-06 11:30 AM

Thinking about making my first attempt at an Olympic. Is this a good race for a first timer?
2014-03-07 7:08 AM
in reply to: LibertyFlames31

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by LibertyFlames31 Thinking about making my first attempt at an Olympic. Is this a good race for a first timer?

swim is in a tidal river - if we have an active hurricane season it can be a little more challenging, but i've done two races at this location and never really had an issue - the nice thing about being tidal is they make the direction of the swim go with the current!

there are no hills in wburg, so the bike and run are quick and flat!

2014-03-11 9:31 PM

User image

Looking forward to the race. The Charlottesville Triathlon Club has dubbed it one of its two official team events for 2014 so there'll be a healthy continent of athletes decked out in their CTC kits. Looking forward to seeing a host of BTers there, too! Any other BTers from Charlottesville?
2014-03-12 8:47 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by LibertyFlames31 Thinking about making my first attempt at an Olympic. Is this a good race for a first timer?

Yes, a great location for an Olympic debut

My daughter attends Liberty.  I will be  in B tri shorts and a red tri top.  Look for me

2014-04-06 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4932531

In previous years was this a wetsuit race?
2014-04-06 7:56 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by LibertyFlames31 In previous years was this a wetsuit race?

Last year it was borderline temp for wetsuit but just legal.  The current was crazy cause a storm blew through overnight (water had been smooth as glass at the pre swim the day before the race).  

Most people wore their wetsuits.  I did for the buoyancy and I think it helped in those rough conditions which were probably the worse I had swam in for a long time. I think the race is a week earlier this year so my guess is that it will remain wetsuit legal unless it really warms up fast.

2014-04-23 12:07 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

If anyone is debating registering, just came across this $10 discount code on Facebook!  Enter PRICEPROMO at checkout!

2014-04-23 4:44 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I will say that my husband indicated he enjoyed the point to point format as a spectator.  Said he fleet like he could see more of the race as opposed to seeing me swim a little, bike out & in to the same park and run out & in again.  That makes it worth it to me cause if the spectators aren't involved in the race they get cranky from boredom.

2014-04-29 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
I wasn't originally planning on doing to many Tri events this year; but, I've lost nearly 30 pounds recently, and am having a blast riding at this much lower weight, that I signed up for this Oly. I think I may finally take a stab at Patriot's HIM in September as well.

2014-06-11 9:20 PM

User image

Traveled to Jamestown yesterday to check out the venue and ride the course. Couple of observations to share...

Swim. The sandy beach appears to offer a nice, wide, shallow entry for the start of the swim. Don't want to start any rumors about wetsuit-legal versus not, but based on my big-toe-in-the-water check I'd classify the temperature at the shoreline as closer to "inviting" than "chilly." That's not official, of course, and a shoreline test can be deceiving, but it was much warmer than I expected. We'll see.

T1. The day I was there they were mowing the big field adjacent to the beach, which I can only assume is T1. Depending on where they set it up within the field it could be a fairly long run across open terrain from water to bike. And it appears that there's about a 6-foot dirt bank that you have to navigate before the field. That ought to be interesting, particularly after a few hundred pairs of wet feet have trod it.

Bike. The roads are in great shape - mostly smooth with relatively few obstacles to navigate. Since we start at the river and end elsewhere it's generally uphill, but not appreciably so. For the most part it's in the shade and sheltered from headwinds, and there are only a couple of rolling hills. The only place that the road surface gets sketchy is a 100-meter stretch between two one-lane bridges at the low point of Jolly Pond Road where it crosses the pond. At that point the road has a few shallow divots that look bigger in the dappled light than they actually are. I rode and re-rode the area three times until I was convinced that it was safe to take at speed. Even so... exercise caution. Other than that it's smooth sailing. Enjoy!

T2. The second transition is in a parking lot of a stadium every bit of 8 miles from T1... hence the shuttle. Knowing how shuttles run, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it took 20 minutes to get from T2 to T1 the morning of. Plan accordingly.

Run. I didn't get a look at the whole run course (...only rode the road portion) but it appears relatively flat. The portion that snakes through the sports complex is open and exposed to wind and sun. Don't know about the other half, but since it's a trail through woods I'm guessing it's more sheltered.

Hopefully that helps those of you who (like me) are attempting this event for the first time. I'm going to attempt to post some pics I took. Hopefully they will post, too.

Bon chance!
2014-06-12 8:01 AM

User image

If you want to check out the water temp on-line you can do so at NOAA:

http://buoybay.noaa.gov/locations/jamestown

Looks like it's hovering around 79 degrees. That's not official, of course, but certainly more accurate than my big-toe test on Tuesday. By way of reminder, here's the wetsuit rule from the USTA website:

4.4. Wetsuits.

Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wetsuit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wet suit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit.

Effective January 1, 2013, any swimmer wearing a wetsuit with a thickness measured in any part greater than 5 millimeters shall be disqualified.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev3 Williamsburg - Olympic Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Naylor's Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread

Started by miche033
Views: 1633 Posts: 1

2013-05-31 7:46 PM miche033

Rev 3 Williamsburg Pages: 1 2

Started by tri'n
Views: 5079 Posts: 29

2013-03-07 7:20 AM ajfrager

Rev3 Williamsburg 2013 Half Registration

Started by Dixbry
Views: 2694 Posts: 12

2012-07-06 5:57 AM maranna

Rumpass in Bumpass International : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by BabsVa
Views: 11172 Posts: 161

2009-04-21 8:28 PM carteroak

Kinetic Sprint : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by susanp
Views: 6093 Posts: 59

2009-05-14 8:47 PM MDHillSlug
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.