General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Marathon entry now a lottery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-16 2:32 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Chicago Marathon entry now a lottery

For most people.
Details here.

I understand the move based on last year's nightmare, but also understand the frustration if you were banking on this one and now it's an unknown until April 7.

2014-01-16 3:33 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon entry now a lottery
As marathons gain in popularity, I expect this to happen more often with the big races. Marine Corps is going to a lottery system as well in 2014
2014-01-16 3:35 PM
in reply to: Omne38103

User image

Seattle

Seems good. They have a few guarantee options including a time qualifier.

2014-01-16 4:31 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I got my 5 so I can do it. In theory to keep my spot I will have to do it next 3 years in a row though.
2014-01-16 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yeah, at first I was a bit upset but then when I saw the time qualifier it was all good.

2014-01-16 7:39 PM

User image

Maybe I read it wrong, but it's interesting that there is just one time qualifier for males and one for females.  No AG differentiation.  Not to say that it's "wrong," or that they should do it differently like Boston or NYC...just interesting.  I'm sure there are some older men who think a 3:15 is unfair to them.

2014-01-16 8:49 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

Maybe I read it wrong, but it's interesting that there is just one time qualifier for males and one for females.  No AG differentiation.  Not to say that it's "wrong," or that they should do it differently like Boston or NYC...just interesting.  I'm sure there are some older men who think a 3:15 is unfair to them.

There are plenty of younger men who think so too.

2014-01-16 9:00 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

True.  Boston for M34 and under is 3:05 and NYC is 2:45 for M39 and under (for guaranteed entry).  But I didn't mention it to suggest that the Boston or NYC qualifying times were right...just that each race uses multiple qualifying times based on age where Chicago is choosing not to consider age at all.  Just gender.  It's their race...they can do whatever they want.  I'm sure people are offended though.    

2014-01-16 9:03 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

As an older guy, this was my first reaction when I read the qualifying criteria.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that modified in the future.  {fingers crossed}

2014-01-16 9:08 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Even if they let in all 90k people who wanted to be in (number made up btw). People will still complain.
2014-01-16 9:17 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

True.  Boston for M34 and under is 3:05 and NYC is 2:45 for M39 and under (for guaranteed entry).  But I didn't mention it to suggest that the Boston or NYC qualifying times were right...just that each race uses multiple qualifying times based on age where Chicago is choosing not to consider age at all.  Just gender.  It's their race...they can do whatever they want.  I'm sure people are offended though.    

There must ALWAYS be a certain percentage of people who are offended, or the internet will die.

2014-01-17 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Looks like they are keeping the very generous 30 min extra for the women in the qualifying time.

There is not a 30 min difference in the elites M vs F so I always find it interesting when they keep it at 30 minutes.
2014-01-17 8:20 AM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Marvarnett Looks like they are keeping the very generous 30 min extra for the women in the qualifying time. There is not a 30 min difference in the elites M vs F so I always find it interesting when they keep it at 30 minutes.

it is probably not based on the elites, but on the average chicago runner - say they want to retain their top 10% finishers - they are using the top 10% times for each gender.  that is my guess at least.

2014-01-17 9:18 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Chicago, IL

I suspected this would happen, after last years debacle.

2014-01-17 11:48 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by Marvarnett Looks like they are keeping the very generous 30 min extra for the women in the qualifying time. There is not a 30 min difference in the elites M vs F so I always find it interesting when they keep it at 30 minutes.

it is probably not based on the elites, but on the average chicago runner - say they want to retain their top 10% finishers - they are using the top 10% times for each gender.  that is my guess at least.

Indeed, the women's record is about 1/8th greater than the men's. A 30 minute cushion on a 3:15 men's run is about 1/6th more...so along that math, yes a bit generous.

I bet it is actually decided on general %-age, as mehaner suggested.

The real disparity here is that there is no age differentiation. 3:15's are much easier at 30 than 60.
2014-01-17 12:20 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
The time requirement makes sense if you look at the numbers, and realize a lot of people run Chicago like my friend trying to make the Olympic Qualifiers.

In 2013
start to 3:00 891 people finish
3:00 to 3:15 1149 finished
3:15 to 3:30 2240 finished
3:30 to 3:45 3019 finished
3:45 to 4:00 4643 finished
4:00 to 4:15 3972 finished

If you want to maximize the size of the race and minimize people tripping over each other. You want people to finish before 3:15. There is a lot of wide open land there for people to run. They talk about capping the race at 45k but if you add in 2k more sub 3:15 finishers you could probably get in 47k people.

2014-01-17 1:18 PM
in reply to: 0

Chicago

I've run Chicago 3x but I'm giving up on it, I think. It's fun to do a big race, but has gotten too big, too expensive, and is too much of a hassle. I'd rather stick to smaller fall races like Twin Cities, Columbus, etc. where they're still well-run but no problem entering and they're much cheaper. In 2012, it was hard to find room in the street in Chicago and it was still elbow-to-elbow in the late miles. Personally, I'm taking my running dollars to a more relaxed atmosphere. 

Edited by NewfangledDad 2014-01-17 1:19 PM
2014-01-17 1:27 PM
in reply to: NewfangledDad

User image

Elite

Question regarding this.  Why give a guaranteed entry to faster folks?  Why not just go full lottery? I understand and agree with legacy program, but to reward those on time I don't see the purpose. 

2014-01-17 1:39 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Originally posted by turtlegirl

Question regarding this.  Why give a guaranteed entry to faster folks?  Why not just go full lottery? I understand and agree with legacy program, but to reward those on time I don't see the purpose. 

Because people that take running seriously and are prepared to make sacrifices are more worthy than a place than those that don't. It's set up as a running race by running people.

This would be my guess (I'm a 4 hour marathon man on a good day btw)
2014-01-17 1:45 PM

User image

My guess is adding qualifying times boosts brand awareness for the race.  It also presents a challenge to runners who may not have otherwise wanted to do the race.

2014-01-17 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Dan-L

Because people that take running seriously and are prepared to make sacrifices are more worthy than a place than those that don't. It's set up as a running race by running people. This would be my guess (I'm a 4 hour marathon man on a good day btw)

I think the race just gets added prestige by allowing faster runners to qualify for guaranteed entry.  It worked for NY and Boston.

My guess is adding qualifying times boosts brand awareness for the race.  It also presents a challenge to runners who may not have otherwise wanted to do the race.

Jason said what I meant more eloquently.

Edited by msteiner 2014-01-17 1:53 PM

2014-01-17 1:53 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon

Read above what 'chirunner' said.
By opening more spots to faster people, you level out the crowds, so there will be more elbow room for everyone.
2014-01-17 2:01 PM

User image

love running, love races, do not see the attraction to running Chicago marathon THIS many times to quality for a qualified entry, ugggh! I ran it this past year (2nd time) just to prepare for upcoming Ironman... my first time in 2004... exciting... 2nd time, boring as hell. I cannot see running this marathon year after year, it's just plain boring.

Edited by tarmac52 2014-01-17 2:09 PM
2014-01-17 2:14 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Elite

I suppose you attract more "serious runners", but it would shut me out as that I haven't yet done a marathon, just my 4 IMs and none were under 5 hours.  I just don't really like the idea that if you're fast, we'll make it easy for you trends.  This was a possibility for me, no longer interested if thats the case. And, glad I'm in for MCM this year since that may be where its going as well.  I think that it is an unfortunate trend. 

2014-01-17 2:31 PM
in reply to: tarmac52

User image

Chicago, IL

Originally posted by tarmac52 love running, love races, do not see the attraction to running Chicago marathon THIS many times to quality for a qualified entry, ugggh! I ran it this past year (2nd time) just to prepare for upcoming Ironman... my first time in 2004... exciting... 2nd time, boring as hell. I cannot see running this marathon year after year, it's just plain boring.

Depends on WHY you run it...

I don't run it to win. I don't run it to set a PR. I don't run it because it's a fascinating course.

I run it because I live here, and lots of my friends live here. Lots of my friends love running it (as do I). My non-runner friends treat marathon Sunday like a huge tailgate, so I see them partying at various points around the city. After the race, we all meet up to participate in a Sunday Funday for the ages (Monday is Columbus Day - HOLIDAY). That's why I run it, and will continue to run it every year, barring unforeseen injury/obligation.

It might not be for everyone, and that's fine with me. But I love marathon Sunday.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Marathon entry now a lottery Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Lottery spot or guaranteed entry?

Started by thebigb
Views: 1855 Posts: 23

2012-04-26 2:08 PM thebigb

Ironman Entry/Lottery

Started by triseattle
Views: 1481 Posts: 6

2010-02-12 9:36 PM triseattle

Chicago triathlon Race Entry

Started by Bob1326
Views: 819 Posts: 2

2009-06-23 11:40 AM BikerGrrrl

NYC marathon lottery results

Started by summer_2005
Views: 1081 Posts: 11

2006-06-08 8:12 AM summer_2005

Chicago Tri Entry

Started by brianb
Views: 1025 Posts: 11

2005-06-21 5:23 PM instigator
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.
date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.

date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : September 3, 2005
Now we will add in the focus on how you will enter your hands in the water upon recovery, and how to rotate to the next side.

date : November 28, 2004
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!