Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Good warm places to live? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-19 11:01 PM

User image

Subject: Good warm places to live?
I live in NE and I'm pretty sick of winter. I could care less about season changes. Having high's in the winter from 0 degrees to highs in the summer to over 100 with high humidity isn't my idea of fun. The heat sucks but at least I can go outside without layers. Last year I was able to wear shorts only 5 months out of the year since it was still cold until mid May. I'm looking to get the hell out in 1-2 years and am open to suggestions on where to relocate. What I'm looking for: warm weather, safe place to live, no out of control housing costs (not looking to buy a house right off the bat but I'm single and have a decent home here that I can afford and would like that option later), good tri community/bike trails, and I'd prefer medium population to avoid spending all my free time in traffic (~200,000 - 500,000ish). Anyone have any pros/cons on where they live or visited? All this depends on if I can get a job down there but at least here, software people are in pretty high demand and I'm hounded by recruiters so I'm hoping that's universal for the job market in the US in general.

2014-01-20 7:19 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Good warm places to live?

We like it down here in Cajun Country. High temp today is 71°

2014-01-20 8:10 AM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Regular
Madrid
I vote for San Diego (area). Perfect weather- not too hot in the summer and not cold in the winter. Close to the ocean and the desert. Sports everywhere you look at all levels. Decent size city as in not too big that you get the negatives that go along with it but not too small that there's nothing going on. There should be an ample enough job market for what you're looking for as well. Its nice, and its pretty clean. Affordability- Its not the cheapest but maybe you don't want the cheapest either. The only drawback might be its the West coast....
2014-01-20 10:15 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
I live in and enjoy living in the Bay Area in California. But, housing is ridiculously expensive. But, there are jobs out here now, especially for SW eng. You might think about the Sacramento area. There are jobs, housing is a little less. Weather a bit more variable though. Can get hot in summer. But, when my wife and I were looking at moving to California years ago from Texas, we really considered the Sacramento area. Job happened to come through in Bay Area though.
2014-01-20 10:52 AM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Sensei
Sin City

We have mild winters in Vegas.  You don't completely get away from the cold, but rarely does it get into the 30's or below freezing.  BUT, we get the heat in the summer.

If you want temperate all year, look at San Diego or anywhere in SoCal.  Closer to the water balances the temps.

2014-01-20 11:27 AM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Hey, what's wrong with NE.  It was almost 60 degrees yesterday

My wife bugs me every year that we're moving south, because she hates the cold.  I absolutely love it.  I love the changes in the seasons and couldn't imagine life any different.  I'm always looking forward to something weather wise.  When it's hot, I look forward to the snow, when it's snowing I look forward to the summer.  I know I'm weird, but I just love it.

I lived in San Diego for almost five years and at first it was great, but after a few years I began to hate the weather.  It was always perfect and never even rained.  bleh.  I couldn't wait to move back to the Midwest.

Now as to where I would move if I had to.  If I were to go to a warmer climate I would make my decision based on the people, economy/tax situation, and schools far above anything else because they're really the endearing qualities of Nebraska that make it such a great place to live (in spite of the weather).

The economy/tax situation in CA is in pretty rough shape so even if you get an equivalent job your lifestyle will take a significant step backwards.  The people are a lot different than in NE as well.

I'd personally move to Austin, TX if I had to go south.  It's a little bigger than Omaha, but not by a ton.  It has a lot of the same endearing qualities such as low unemployment, great economy, decent tax structure, and low cost of living.  Yes, you still get the humidity in the summer but you get rid of most of the cold.  

I remember this old time lapse video that alone should give you a pretty good idea of places that have a good economy in tough times.  That, to me, is probably the most important factor in determining where you should go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x18hrNp--NM

2014-01-20 11:59 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by tuwood

I'd personally move to Austin, TX if I had to go south.  

x2, or really any community outside of Houston/Dallas metros in Texas. Austin seems to have a great vibe for triathlon and good food/good music type of fun - from the times I've visited. Your trade off will be the humidity.

2014-01-20 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I lived in San Diego for almost five years and at first it was great, but after a few years I began to hate the weather.  It was always perfect and never even rained.  bleh.  I couldn't wait to move back to the Midwest.

Um... Sounds ideal to me.

2014-01-20 12:47 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by briderdt

Um... Sounds ideal to me.

lol

I suspect that most people like the types of climates/environments they grew up in.  I grew up in Iowa so of course the midwest climate is what I'm used to and love.  However, you take somebody who grew up in SoCal or Texas, they're generally quite miserable with our winters up here.

Same goes with urban/rural upbringing.  I lived in Chicago for a while and absolutely hated it and It was the most miserable place I've ever lived.  However, a good friend of mine grew up in urban Seattle and he absolutely hates living in NE.  He dreams of living in Chicago because it's the greatest place on earth as far as he's concerned. 

2014-01-20 1:50 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Don't move to Central Texas, you won't like it here.

2014-01-20 5:12 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Tampa St. Pete area. Lots of great bike trails decent cost of living, close to the water, tons of triathlons

2014-01-20 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Austin TX baby. quote from the great Vince Young
Great weather, great area, hill country, I love living here.

Drawbacks-this area is very attractive to live and the growth is unbelievable. Traffic can suck, housing in Austin proper is high, and the last few years the drought has been difficult. August is hot.

But, the climate, great job market, and things to do make it a great place. I swam in Deep Eddy today, it is a spring fed outdoor pool. We bike and run year around. Visit the Austin SA area and see what you think.
2014-01-20 8:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I think CA is out of the question for me in general. I've been there a few times and just didn't like the over population and the non-stop traffic to get anywhere. My goal is 30 mins (currently how long it takes me) or less to work. Maybe 45 but anything over that and I'm wasting my life away. I know anywhere I go I'll be taking a step back in terms of life style but my friend moved out there and was paying something like $2100 month + insane utilities for a small (although decent) apartment. What got me was that even after spending they much, they refused to run around the block/area since they didn't think it was safe. Here: $1200/month for a starter home and I've run at 10pm before without the slightest ounce of fear. I expect to be paying $800-1000 for a nice apartment. Maybe more? Been a while since I've looked at prices + cost of living differences.

It sounds like Texas is a another major contender for me, based upon people's comments. I used to hate the desert since everything is so dead but looking outside today...well everything's dead here too! It looks awesome here in the spring/summer though. I was thinking Phoenix area but I read that something like 110+ days are over 100. That may be too much but at least it's low/no humidity.

And tuwood, I did enjoy the 65 degree weather yesterday! I was out in shorts in a short sleeve shirt knocking out 19 miles. That's how I want to run all the time. I was talking to a nurse about wanting to move out of Nebraska and her response was that these winters are mild compared to when she was a kid and that we have it lucky. Somehow that was supposed to make me want to stay :P What I got out of it "if you hate it now, history says it will get much worst sooner or later".

Edited by Blastman 2014-01-20 8:06 PM
2014-01-20 8:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Blastman

I think CA is out of the question for me in general. I've been there a few times and just didn't like the over population and the non-stop traffic to get anywhere. My goal is 30 mins (currently how long it takes me) or less to work. Maybe 45 but anything over that and I'm wasting my life away. I know anywhere I go I'll be taking a step back in terms of life style but my friend moved out there and was paying something like $2100 month + insane utilities for a small (although decent) apartment. What got me was that even after spending they much, they refused to run around the block/area since they didn't think it was safe. Here: $1200/month for a starter home and I've run at 10pm before without the slightest ounce of fear. I expect to be paying $800-1000 for a nice apartment. Maybe more? Been a while since I've looked at prices + cost of living differences.

It sounds like Texas is a another major contender for me, based upon people's comments. I used to hate the desert since everything is so dead but looking outside today...well everything's dead here too! It looks awesome here in the spring/summer though. I was thinking Phoenix area but I read that something like 110+ days are over 100. That may be too much but at least it's low/no humidity.

And tuwood, I did enjoy the 65 degree weather yesterday! I was out in shorts in a short sleeve shirt knocking out 19 miles. That's how I want to run all the time. I was talking to a nurse about wanting to move out of Nebraska and her response was that these winters are mild compared to when she was a kid and that we have it lucky. Somehow that was supposed to make me want to stay :P What I got out of it "if you hate it now, history says it will get much worst sooner or later".

Texan here bro!!!!! , Winter is not as bad and short ave. around 50s, Texan heat is kinda unbearable at times ,but if you run early am wont be as bad.Alot of nice Suburbs outside of Houston with nice and safe communities look into Sugarland,Pearland,Katy,Cypress etc. I would like to mention most suitable for me is Bridgeland and Townelakes subd at Cypress,Tx (expensive to buy dont know about rental) are best for a triathlete they are the only ones i know they have a manmade lakes to swim for residents , great paths for running and safe roads for cycling. Triathlon season starts Early April ( Galveston 70.3) ends Nov. Running season starts Oct thru April ffg year. All year long there bike rides , Hope to see you around man !!!!! cheers

Edited by strykergt 2014-01-20 8:52 PM
2014-01-21 7:22 AM

User image

Regular
My wife and I really like SW Florida. Year round triathlon weather. No state income tax.
2014-01-21 10:22 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Socks

Tampa St. Pete area. Lots of great bike trails decent cost of living, close to the water, tons of triathlons

concurs

2014-01-21 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Originally posted by Blastman
I was thinking Phoenix area but I read that something like 110+ days are over 100. That may be too much but at least it's low/no humidity.

I was born in Tucson and worked in Phoenix a couple of years out of college. I really wouldn't recommend it. Wickedly hot from May - the end of September. Phoenix didn't plan the growth that they got in the late '90s and as a result getting around town is really challenging due to the lack of infrastructure.

Austin is beautiful, vibrant, pretty stable economy...if I was in a mind to move and decided against Hawaii, that would be next on the list.
2014-01-21 12:27 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Socks

x2

I'm just south of Tampa in Sarasota.  Very active and vibrant tri and runnng community.  Weather is great for training outdoors all year.  We get a few cold days during the winter, but nothing sustained. 

I train at an outdoor 50M pool all winter; it can be chilly getting to the pool from the locker room and back, but great once you get in the water.

Did my first race of the year this past Saturday:  4 mile road race over the Ringling Bridge crossing Sarasota Bay.  Was 510F at the start, but idea for running once you got warmed up.

The worst thing for me is training in the heat during the summer.  That's one of the reasons I get up and run in the early morning.  Running in the afternoons in the summer can be like running in a furnace.

Mark

2014-01-21 1:33 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I have only visited a handful of times so take this for what its worth....

I really enjoyed South Carolina and most of the ocean towns along the Carolina Coast. For me, the times I have been there the weather has been great. If there are some SC people on here, maybe they can chime in about the year round tri scene. I love going down to Myrtle Beach area to vacation and golf. I have been in November and it was still 70+ degrees outside. Not sure about average winter temps but probably in the 40s??

I have 2 friends who live here in MD and are getting ready to retire and just purchased a home in SC. They bought a 3BR 3Bath house for under 200K and its not too far from the beach (not sure what shape its in but they said its nice). From what they have told me, they will be able to live very comfortably down there on just their pension checks and won't have to get jobs. They said property taxes are under 1K a year for their place and not 100% sure but I thought that SC does not Tax your pension and might also have zero or very low state tax. I am definitely looking into a move somewhere when I retire and SC is on that list.
2014-01-21 9:03 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Master
Beijing

You could live in my dryer vent. 

2014-01-21 10:19 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

I have only visited a handful of times so take this for what its worth....

I really enjoyed South Carolina and most of the ocean towns along the Carolina Coast. For me, the times I have been there the weather has been great. If there are some SC people on here, maybe they can chime in about the year round tri scene. I love going down to Myrtle Beach area to vacation and golf. I have been in November and it was still 70+ degrees outside. Not sure about average winter temps but probably in the 40s??

I have 2 friends who live here in MD and are getting ready to retire and just purchased a home in SC. They bought a 3BR 3Bath house for under 200K and its not too far from the beach (not sure what shape its in but they said its nice). From what they have told me, they will be able to live very comfortably down there on just their pension checks and won't have to get jobs. They said property taxes are under 1K a year for their place and not 100% sure but I thought that SC does not Tax your pension and might also have zero or very low state tax. I am definitely looking into a move somewhere when I retire and SC is on that list.

That's one thing I'm looking forward to. Nebraska taxes the hell out of you. My 125K home is taxed at $3300/year! My friend got a 425K home in CO and I'm paying more than him... Add the highest cell phone taxes in the US (over 22%) and my Ford Fusion I got last year costed me a cool $500 to register this year and I'm ready to jump ship! I'm already planning the stages in my head on the things I need to sell and when to get new carpet/floors to help the home.

2014-01-22 6:46 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Veteran
Austin
Nope. Don't move to Austin. Miserable city.
2014-01-22 8:49 PM
in reply to: mindy00

Master
, California

I suspect that most people like the types of climates/environments they grew up in.

Heh I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and I still hate the weather, not to mention the lack of daylight in the winter.  But the job market keeps me here for the moment.  I had a job offer in San Diego last year but passed on it because it was paying less, before even subtracting the state income tax in California.

2014-01-22 10:32 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
I have an idea. Move to the Canadian north, and then NE will not sound as bad.
2014-01-22 11:04 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by spudone

I suspect that most people like the types of climates/environments they grew up in.

Heh I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and I still hate the weather, not to mention the lack of daylight in the winter.  But the job market keeps me here for the moment.  I had a job offer in San Diego last year but passed on it because it was paying less, before even subtracting the state income tax in California.

Yeah, I can see that.  I had the joy of spending 5 months in Everett, WA from September - January and it was the most miserable weather on earth.  I don't think I saw the sun the whole time.  ;-)

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Good warm places to live? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Bike friendly/safe places to live

Started by bmass
Views: 1157 Posts: 20

2009-08-04 7:39 PM nscrbug

Sex offenders finding a place to live Pages: 1 2

Started by ADollar79
Views: 1746 Posts: 50

2007-04-10 10:29 AM chirunner134

What places have you lived in your lifetime? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by SweetK
Views: 1609 Posts: 55

2007-03-19 8:47 PM SweetK

Do I just live in a stupid place?

Started by Nimefurahi
Views: 1155 Posts: 15

2005-03-10 2:35 PM jeng

Places to live Pages: 1 2

Started by Mick55
Views: 2842 Posts: 43

2004-12-16 4:40 PM c2fd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : July 10, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : September 3, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 2
Why triathletes must absolutely warm up, activate muscles, strengthen core, and stretch effectively.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.

date : May 30, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
A general stretching program should be an essential component of every endurance athlete’s warm-up prior to training or competition.
date : September 3, 2004
Some yoga poses to help endurance athletes prevent injuries through stretching.

date : September 3, 2004
Reasons why yoga will help endurance athletes prevent injuries through stretching.