General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Savageman training camp Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-22 8:41 AM

User image

Subject: Savageman training camp
Last year I started racing triathlons, and Savageman was my first Oly distance. My performance was decidedly midpack (I barely broke the top 40%). I just registered for the Garrett Country Gran Fondo and saw that there is a Savageman training camp the second weekend of July. I have no experience in training camps and was wondering if anyone here is familiar with that one.

Specifically, I was wondering if I would be completely over my head. Would I be the only one there without an M dot tattoo and with a 10k time over 50 min? Reading the itinerary, it looks like I could learn a lot, but I would rather not spend 3 days on something as the laughably worst person there.

Edited by happyscientist 2014-01-22 9:11 AM

2014-01-22 8:53 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Savageman training camp
Originally posted by happyscientist

Last year I started racing triathlons, and Savageman was my first Oly distance. My performance was decidedly midpack (I barely broke the top 40%). I just registered for the Garrett Country Gran Fondo and saw that there is a Savageman training camp the second weekend of July. I have no experience in training camps and was wondering if anyone here is familiar with that one.

Specifically, I was wondering if I would be completely over my head. Would I be the only one there without an M dot tattoo and a 10k time over 50 min? Reading the itinerary, it looks like I could learn a lot, but I would rather not spend 3 days on something as the laughably worst person there.

I can't speak to the training camp experience, as I've never done it. But as far as being the worst, who cares? I highly doubt anyone else there is going to care, so why should you?
Think of how many people struggling with their weight are scared to go to gyms for this same reason. Think of the thoughts you have when you see those people there? Do you laugh at them, or are you happy for them that they've motivated themselves enough to face that fear and are trying to become more healthy.

If you're the worst one there, that just means there are that many more people who's brains you can pick and learn more. I'd never want to be the best person at a training camp for that very reason. In the end, no matter how "good" you are at triathlon, everyone has the same goals, which is to get faster. So, ultimately, you have the same goals that they do. Don't avoid something like that just because you think you'll be the worst one there.
2014-01-22 9:14 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Interesting take. Before the race, my goal was to simply finish without being DFL, so it is definitely something I worry about. It is a silly hangup I have from being the slowest kid in grade school and the last one picked in gym class, even though that was a long time ago.
2014-01-22 10:15 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by happyscientist

Interesting take. Before the race, my goal was to simply finish without being DFL, so it is definitely something I worry about. It is a silly hangup I have from being the slowest kid in grade school and the last one picked in gym class, even though that was a long time ago.

Interesting, never thought about that perspective. I certainly wasn't a school star, but I also was never that guy either, so I can see having some lingering issues with that.
But, just keep in mind, this is sport has a whole different mind set. There was a thread on here some point about being DFL and some stories about it. The amount of crazy support those people get is unheard of in any sport. I remember a race last year, they stopped the awards ceremony as the DFL person came down the final shoot, and everyone else also stopped what they were doing and started screaming and hollering support for them as they came through.
Keep that kind of stuff in mind if you waver on going simply due to being worried about being the slowest on there. You'll end up with more coaches than anyone else! Triathletes in general seem to be on such a different level when it comes to supporting others. Most strong athletes actually enjoy helping newer people to the sport. One need look no further than this website. There's not a lot of sports that could have a popular website that is specifically targeted to beginners.
2014-01-22 4:47 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

OP don't worry about it.  I think their website says it all.  The fact that you did the Savageman 30 is awesome.  Are you looking at the 70 this year?

Is SavageCamp For Me?

SavageCamp is intended to be all-inclusive, so if you are a beginner triathlete or a slower triathlete, do not be scared off. All group workouts will have a number of leaders so a wide range of speeds and skills are to be expected and accommodated...

2014-01-22 6:08 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
I haven't been to the camp, but I've seen some reviews, and folks seem to find them quite enjoyable. And it's not just turbo-charged stars who are taking part. In general, everything that I've encountered around Savageman has been fabulously supportive.

And if you were in the top 40% of Savageman 30.0 *and* are planning to do the Garrett Co Gran Fondo (great event, by the way! I'm doing my 3rd one this year), then you'll certainly be fine at Savage camp.

2014-01-23 7:03 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Originally posted by Donto

OP don't worry about it.  I think their website says it all.  The fact that you did the Savageman 30 is awesome.  Are you looking at the 70 this year?

Is SavageCamp For Me?

SavageCamp is intended to be all-inclusive, so if you are a beginner triathlete or a slower triathlete, do not be scared off. All group workouts will have a number of leaders so a wide range of speeds and skills are to be expected and accommodated...

I thought about trying to build up to the 70 and making that my goal race for the year, but I have had some nagging running injuries that need to heal. As I get older, I do heal more slowly, so I don't wan't to push it too much.
2014-01-23 7:06 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Originally posted by colinphillips

I haven't been to the camp, but I've seen some reviews, and folks seem to find them quite enjoyable. And it's not just turbo-charged stars who are taking part. In general, everything that I've encountered around Savageman has been fabulously supportive.

And if you were in the top 40% of Savageman 30.0 *and* are planning to do the Garrett Co Gran Fondo (great event, by the way! I'm doing my 3rd one this year), then you'll certainly be fine at Savage camp.

I did the Garrett County Gran Fondo last year and had a great time, even though it kicked my butt. I live about an hour away, so the events there are convenient for me, and the hills are shocking like they seem to be to some people. I already have my friends registering to ride the GF with me this year.
2014-01-23 9:52 AM

User image

Elite

When is the camp? or do you have a website? I'm planning on Sman this year and could use it, although I have Vineman which I think is when you said the camp is (July 27)

2014-01-23 11:01 AM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Hopefully the link works. This is for last year's, but has a good description of the weekend.
http://winthefight.org/savagecamp/index.htm

It is July 11-13 this year. The registration for it doesn't open until March.
2014-01-23 11:24 AM

User image

Elite

Darn, I just double checked and I was thinking of this past year's vineman, its the same weekend. Of course!  I was all set to send in my deposit.

2014-02-28 3:03 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

fyi, the dates of SavageCamp for 2014 have been changed. They are now June 27-29. Details on much updated website here: http://www.savagecamp.com
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Savageman training camp Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Early season training camp/vacation

Started by Cavu9
Views: 2041 Posts: 10

2006-10-25 8:07 AM Rencor

Tri Training Camp in Spain

Started by RGRBILL
Views: 1142 Posts: 8

2006-04-15 6:28 PM Drewwhite

Question re: Multisports.com training camps, etc

Started by OldAg92
Views: 632 Posts: 3

2005-09-05 5:47 AM Tri Take Me Away

Arizona Ultrafit Training Camp

Started by Zucco
Views: 775 Posts: 1

2004-12-08 6:23 PM Zucco

training camps

Started by krispns
Views: 676 Posts: 6

2004-09-10 2:26 PM grvfrog
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.
date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.

date : September 15, 2004
author : tboepple
comments : 0
Women / Masters / Special Needs - Lauren Maule, Diane Proud, Tom Rodgers
date : September 3, 2004
Joe Friel - Periodization

Joe Friel, Bike Technique & Training (Physiology)
Aero Positioning on the Bike – John Cobb

Details on the first Texas Triathlon Camp with Tom Rodgers, Joe Friel, John cobb, Lauren Maule and Andre Rizo.