Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Ironman Calgary Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-22 11:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: Ironman Calgary
A friend and I have signed up for the Calgary half and I've been researching accommodations near to Auburn Bay. The only RV park (preferred option if possible) I could find is 70km east of Calgary. I'd definitely like to be closer than that. Any suggestions, recommendations? Hotels the only way to go?

Also love to hear any IMCalgary comments as well.

2014-01-24 9:01 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Ironman Calgary
See if Okotoks or Black Diamond are open. There is Symons Valley RV park, one in Cochrane or there is one in Balzac.
2014-01-25 8:52 AM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Good morning George. I'm not an RV'er so II can't recommend one, but Riverbend RV is by far the closest to Auburn bay-maybe ten minutes. Given the locations I agree with the other post. Keep your search to the south side of Calgary or Okotoks. Okotoks has 30K people and willl be about a ten minute drive from Auburn bay. Black Diamond is a little further (Maybe 30mins), but is much smaller and closer to the mountains. Would be a beautiful spot to RV.

Nelson
2014-01-25 8:09 PM
in reply to: ndechant

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Agree. Stay down south. Okotoks would be closest. Symons valley and cochrane are a long way from auburn bay. Balzac wouldn't be bad, as it's right on highway 2 .
2014-01-27 1:15 PM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Champion
Calgary
wow, thats awesome. I had no idea it moved to Auburn Bay.

As for camping. I think there are a couple "pack them tight" rv spots south of calgary, which would be ideal. Sorry I don't know the names. If it were me, I mean Auburn bay is in the middle of a construction zone. There are at least 5 neighborhoods going up around there. If you RV is self sufficient I would be heavily tempted to just park on the street someplace. At that time of year, everyone has an RV on the frigin street. For a really nice time, stuff out west, like Paddy's Flats, and Beaver Flats are nice. McLean Creek is fully serviceable and is probably a 40 minute drive from Auburn Bay.
2014-01-27 10:56 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Thanks for all the suggestions. Obviously I didn't search as well as I thought I had.

Has anyone been out on the bike route? It doesn't look too bad in profile but I've heard several people comment that it was pretty hard.

Looking forward to it.

2014-01-28 4:34 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
That bike route is absolutely crushing. What sucks especially bad is that almost all the time you are heading into the wind. And you are heading uphill, gradually. It is punishing. You will feel like you are going nowhere. And then there are the actual hills..... I think one major one, very hard. And the decent is steep and it has a curve at the bottom, which if you value your life you will be applying the breaks. I mean I have done that hill enough I know you don't "need" brakes but when you are flying down at near terminal velocity it takes the big brass ones to not pull up and definitely not worth risking it.

What sucks even worse is that when you come back east, the tail wind you get isn't nearly as nice as the headwind. HA. Actually, sometimes the tail wind is stronger, but most of the time it isn't. And if you are wondering, hey, maybe it won't be windy. HA. No. It will be windy, 9/10 times. And if the weather sucks, as in rain, which is very unlikely, but if it is raining, god help you.

I made many a pilgrimage up and down that road. Many Many Many Many. It is an absolutely gorgeous ride. So beautiful. Really really fun. Just don't look at your speedometer when you head out.
2014-01-28 5:40 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Thanks for all the suggestions. Obviously I didn't search as well as I thought I had.

Has anyone been out on the bike route? It doesn't look too bad in profile but I've heard several people comment that it was pretty hard.

Looking forward to it.

A couple friends raced last year and it was held at Mckenzie lake which is almost the exact same bike route (except for about 5km of it) and had pb's on the bike- it's fast, rolling hills with a huge decline & climb before you hit bragg creek, agreed likely need breaks on the downhill unless you have no fear. There was some new records set last year as well as a result of the bike being so fast. Even though it's fast it's not flat, so lots of hill training!! I can't wait! I see you are from Penticton- think of decline after Richter's pass and then the rolling hills..... but NOT the same climb thankfully!! haha
2014-01-28 10:54 PM
in reply to: rydergal

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Thanks BigDH, what you say about the bike course is partly what I've heard and what Rydergal says is also what I've heard. I guess I'll just have to train hard and take it as it comes. I understand what you say about the wind. I'm not very strong into a nasty headwind so I'll have to prepare for that as best I can.

rydergal - I have to ask you about what time you finished at IMCanada 2012? My wife and I were at the finish line from 6:00 to after midnight catching people as they came across the line. Just wondering how close we crossed paths that night. And, thanks for your reply as well.

Last summer I rode the Challenge bike relay which was the same route as IMC. I learned to love climbing Richter and Yellow Lake (not fast but getting stronger). It sure was a lot of fun. I chased Sister Madonna from Yellow Lake to the finish line and I couldn't catch her. I know she signed up for this year as well (and the head of Challenge invited her to Germany to participate in Roth as well).
2014-01-28 11:07 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Thanks BigDH, what you say about the bike course is partly what I've heard and what Rydergal says is also what I've heard. I guess I'll just have to train hard and take it as it comes. I understand what you say about the wind. I'm not very strong into a nasty headwind so I'll have to prepare for that as best I can.

rydergal - I have to ask you about what time you finished at IMCanada 2012? My wife and I were at the finish line from 6:00 to after midnight catching people as they came across the line. Just wondering how close we crossed paths that night. And, thanks for your reply as well.

Last summer I rode the Challenge bike relay which was the same route as IMC. I learned to love climbing Richter and Yellow Lake (not fast but getting stronger). It sure was a lot of fun. I chased Sister Madonna from Yellow Lake to the finish line and I couldn't catch her. I know she signed up for this year as well (and the head of Challenge invited her to Germany to participate in Roth as well).

I finished in 14:54 so very likely that you were there at the finish line when I crossed, such an amazing day......I totally chased Sister Madonna too at Yellow Lakes- I heard the announcer say there goes sister Madonna- so I yelled where!!!?? and he told me right in front of you!!! She was a few hundred meters infront of me so I had to catch up to her and told her she was so amazing and inspiring!!! I really needed that right then too- was really feeling the heat & getting to me despite taking in water every 5min. It sure gave me the push to get over the hill and down to Penticton. A very memorable moment for me. I got pregnant with my son just under 2 months after finishing IM2012 & had him in July 2013 we went back last year and watched the Challenge , was really neat to be there as a spectator! ( and be back 1 year after finishing IM) I can't say I'd ever do a Challenge but IM is definintly on my list once the kiddo's get older. So this year IM70.3 yyc is the goal and the course is almost in my back yard which is perfect!
2014-02-06 10:27 PM
in reply to: rydergal

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Anyone have any idea whether or not they'll post an "Entrant's List"? I'm hoping to look for some friends.

Rydergal - Another neat experience with Sister Madonna. Pretty neat lady. I'll watch for you come race day and say Hi should we pass by (bit of a long shot).

2014-02-07 5:44 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
There is a confirmation search on the Active.com website where you register....would that help?
Happy training!!
2014-02-28 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Sold out sorta....
They are letting 150 more in...
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Ironman Calgary Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Calgary 70.3 Accommodation

Started by K_OS
Views: 2027 Posts: 5

2010-06-11 12:58 PM tracyhmcd

2010 Calgary Ironman 70.3 - Give me the goods

Started by K_OS
Views: 3064 Posts: 6

2010-04-29 10:21 PM BigDH

Calgary 70.3

Started by royj
Views: 8433 Posts: 22

2010-07-14 10:44 AM Khyron

OWS in Calgary

Started by Calgary Clyde
Views: 1988 Posts: 6

2008-08-05 3:01 PM feldon

Bike Fit i n Calgary?

Started by a_fun_gent
Views: 5382 Posts: 6

2010-03-24 7:00 PM BowCycleSports
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.