General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BreastFeeding and Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-23 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
Denver Area
Subject: BreastFeeding and Training

YAY I'm training (lightly) again!

So, just checking in to see what other mamas breastfeeding babies have noticed about milk production and training.

Last time, with #2 girl, I noticed a change in quality of milk produced during heavier training weeks.

Since then we've changed diet considerably, i.e. low/no gluten, low/no process sugar, >>greens fruits veggies. With #3 (boy), the dietary change has made snapping back into shape easier, however I notice I'm incredibly hungry already with even the short swim/run days...and I'm craving sugar which is new in the past couple of weeks.

I'm open to suggestions, stories, tips, & tricks!

Glad to be back

Edited by AdaBug 2014-01-23 12:37 PM

2014-01-25 6:33 AM
in reply to: AdaBug

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: BreastFeeding and Training
I have 4 kids. Breastfed all of them for different lengths of time. Everyone is going to have a different experience to share. Mine is that my milk supply absolutely tanked once I resumed physical activity. I did all sorts of things to increase supply.....pumped btw. sessions, took Fenugreek, drank Mother's Milk tea, etc. And I was HUNGRY!!! The focus should be on lots and lots of quality food. I did not restrict in order to lose baby weight either because I knew my body needed those calories. I got very annoyed with the huge, heavy breasts during physical activity, too. Massive! And totally in the way.

I know there are others on here who successfully run while breastfeeding. Maybe they'll chime in! I'm sure this is a very individual thing.

2014-01-31 11:42 PM
in reply to: AdaBug

User image

I'm an IBCLC (lactation consultant) and also a mom of three who has nursed through half-marathon training. One of the most important parts of keeping your milk supply up is taking in enough calories. The general guideline is a bare minimum of 1800/day, but that's without exercise and may be too low for some moms. A lot of moms steadily lose weight, but keep their supply at 2200 calories/day. You might need to bump up intake to accommodate for your training in order to maintain supply.

Also be aware that supply and demand is really important. There is a protein in your milk called Feedback Inhibitor of Lactation (FIL), this is basically an "off" switch, it blocks receptors so prolactin (the hormone that drives production) can't bind to the milk making cells. So, the more milk you have sitting there, the more FIL there is and the slower your milk synthesis rate will be. If you are skipping a nursing by the time you get ready, train, shower, etc..., you're sending a signal to your body to make less milk. Also gets quite uncomfortable to skip a nursing or pumping session completely and combined with a sports bra, might lead to plugged ducts.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the types of fat you eat dictate the types of fat that are in your milk, so be sure to keep consuming healthy fats.

Kellymom is a pretty good website overall for breastfeeding info (A few things here and there are outdated, but most of it is spot on), here's her page on breastfeeding and exercise: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/mom-exercise/

Hope that helps a little bit!
2014-02-23 12:15 AM
in reply to: penguinkimberly

User image

Expert
Denver Area

Fairly spot on with my instincts, Thank You for the validating info!

2014-02-26 5:45 AM
in reply to: 0

The release of Oxycontin is only a concern if you're at risk for early labor and your doctor or midwife has put you on strict bed-rest, with no lovemaking or breast play allowed. Because toward the end of pregnancy, breast milk changes to a colossal type of milk.
For more about pregnancy click the following link given by Lisa Olsen:
Lisa Olsen Review

Edited by jasminartany 2014-02-26 5:50 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BreastFeeding and Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Feed Zone Portables - new book

Started by louamerica
Views: 776 Posts: 2

2013-04-25 10:14 AM cxk9758

Favourite recipes from " The Feed Zone"

Started by slowbuthappy
Views: 3376 Posts: 17

2013-05-30 1:58 PM jlruhnke

Another Feed Zone Cookbook Coming!

Started by RockTractor
Views: 3855 Posts: 25

2013-05-08 11:07 AM Meljoypip

Buying organic/free-range/grass-fed meat online

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 5653 Posts: 9

2010-12-31 9:20 PM VeganMan

alcohol and training Pages: 1 2

Started by mikecswat
Views: 3590 Posts: 32

2004-09-21 5:39 PM jryals
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.

date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
comments : 1
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : September 12, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on open water swimming with waves, optimal breathing, practicing sighting, when to get up and run, using the back and breast stroke, dropping your stroke count and swim aids.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
JAM! Trisuits is touted to be a trisuit for women, by women, and offering “more upper body support than what has been traditionally available in one piece trisuits”.

date : November 29, 2004
author : Ron
What we see is that people want to look good – in a bad way. Our society paints a picture of beauty. But nobody wants to really go back to basics of diet and exercise as the fountain of youth.