General Discussion Race Reports! » Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key West, Florida
United States
Questor Multisport & Set Up Events
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 30m 1s
Overall Rank = 4/300
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/35
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and downed 2 ensures and a banana. Sipped on water until it was time to get in the water
Event warmup:

Jumped in the water 15 minutes before the race and swam a little bit. water was cold at the shore, but warmed up as you went further out.
Swim
  • 40m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Shame on my for not knowing the course. I THOUGHT I understood the directions of going under the pier, then up the steps. But I missed the part where we DOUBLED BACK UNDER the pier. I was still looking downshore for a pier to go under, when everyone else was now swimming up shore.. LOL.. Glad it is only January in a meaningless race (no money, no worlds, ext..)

The course was long to begin with. And with my screw ups, I was 9 minutes behind schedule already.
What would you do differently?:

Know the course. Put on my goggles better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This wasn't a flow through transition area. So the times in there are distorted. Oh well.

I was more deliberate than usual. I wanted to make sure I got both honey flasks, and my fix a flat properly stowed in my wet tri top. I also put on socks and shoes in T1.
Bike
  • 2h 20m
  • 56 miles
  • 24.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I had planned to put my head down and show off my new found power on the bike during this race. But after driving in on Friday I realized it is not a bike course for superheros. It is a bike course for looking around, enjoying the scenary, and PAYING ATTENTION TO TRAFFIC.

I drank water every 10 minutes. And ate honey every 30. It worked perfectly, just like it does in my hard tempo sessions on the computrainer.

I cruised the bike in with the 6th fastest split. Overall, I was happy to put on my running shoes. We all knew the course after driving in on Friday. So the safety aspect isn't a surprise.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I made a good decision to back off the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Fastest split of the day.. But I already have my socks on. Most of the fast dudes put them on in T2.
Run
  • 1h 28m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great after the run and was excited to get to run. Hell, I was excited not to be squished under a camper or delivery truck back on route 1!

The views were awesome. The course was flat. And the weather was great. There were ample aid stations which included BOTTLED water.

I was on PR pace through nine.. I THOUGHT I was running easy, but when I went to shift gears there wasn't another gear to be had.. In fact, I slowed down the last four.. Oh well, it was still a great run for me.

I was pleased with the day.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some soda and ate some pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own stupidity in the swim.

Event comments:

I was excited about doing another Set-Up inc event. It has been a long time for me.

This race has some issues they have to work out.

#1. I don't trust the race or the director, over the last three months there have been TOO MANY changes in the course, the prize structure, the race form (no iron?!?), next years date, ext.

#2 - The race is not much of a value. I do many races every year. and $200 is a fair price for a HIM.. But, it is only fair if you are providing the same experience as the other races. What did the $200 get me? Limited post race food (pizza and soda), no pre race pasta dinner, very small awards, (we did not attend the celebration Sunday (if there was one), so I won't comment on that).

#3 - The finish line was very crowded and small. It did not set up well to hang out after the race. And where was the beer?!?!? ( I know it isn't allowed on the beach, so I can answer that question myself)

One thing that I really did like about the race is that they had a photog on site that posted all the pictures to google, free to download. That was a great touch.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/35
Overall: 25/300
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless Wettie
Course: Kind of a debacle at the end. Under a pier, then out the steps?!?
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:20:00 | 56 miles | 24.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/35
Overall: 6/300
Performance: Average
149 Heart rate
Wind: Some
Course: Ever been to Key West? Then you know the course. there is only one way in and one way out. The course was brutual as far as traffic goes. I was cautious the entire ride.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:28:42 | 13.1 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/35
Overall: 2/300
Performance: Good
161 avg
Course: Double out and back along the sea wall. Awesome views.. lots of non racers on the course though
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2014-01-28 2:50 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course

2014-01-28 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4940202

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course
That is a stout effort. If you can cut nine minutes out of your race time with just smarter racing (as you imply) you will be even more blazing fast.

Very impressive early race.
2014-01-28 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Awesome race... you and I were on similar pace until the run... I wasn't a huge fan of things you mentioned either... BUT I'd love another crack at this race to not be sick on the run. Agree on the swim course, it was a tad long IMO.
2014-01-29 8:39 AM
in reply to: xeon

New user
Key West
Congratulations! I raced this Tri last year, but this year volunteered. I chose not to do it again mostly because of the bike course. I am not a strong cyclist and I was tense the entire bike portion from the shoulder conditions and the traffic, and I live here. Maybe knowing too much about what happens on U.S. 1, got into my head. Anyway, I was a bit embarrassed about how poorly it was organized and there was a goat rope at the run finish with the laps with several people being disqualified for missing lap turns, etc., I agree with the finish line set up and the bennies. But, the day was absolutely gorgeous and I was jealous about that as our weather the year before was rough. Anyway, congrats again!!
2014-01-30 8:10 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Congratulations on your race. This was my first 70.3, and with the exception of about 90 minutes between your time and my time, I agree with your review. Toward the end of my run, they ran out of water at the aid stations.....that kinda sucked....more came later, but sucked when I needed it.

Anyway, the rumor is that this race may be in July of 2015.....weather may be a bit different then...

Congrats again to you.
2014-01-31 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
South Florida
Nice job. Good race and report, thanks for taking the time to tell us about it.

As far as the beer issue goes, as near as I can tell, beer is allowed EVERYWHERE on KW. The oly/sprint race in early Dec has beer at the finish line and it is on the beach.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course

Started by Tripopo
Views: 1332 Posts: 2

2013-02-01 5:33 AM spearit

Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course

Started by csharp1171
Views: 1372 Posts: 3

2013-01-24 2:50 PM csharp1171

Started by hypersteve
Views: 2266 Posts: 9

2013-01-23 8:11 PM hypersteve

Started by firemedic1070
Views: 1219 Posts: 3

2013-01-15 7:42 AM spearit

Started by spearit
Views: 2220 Posts: 12

2013-01-15 1:57 PM spearit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : September 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Maintaining bone health throughout the lifespan should be a priority for all athletes, starting as youngsters and continuing as master's athletes.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.
date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.