Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 77

2014-05-27 11:41 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around

Originally posted by mehaner

so the weekend of june 7/8 i have nothing really going on.  there are 2 local tris - should i do the cheaper sprint that is further away on saturday or the slightly more expensive but really close to home oly on sunday?  in case it matters, saturday's post-race food is crab cakes, sunday's is pizza.  HELP ME FIGURE OUT MY LIFE PLEASE.

also note the amount of purple and green in my logs...

Whichever has the better race organizer/organization.

Then decide whether you like crab cakes or pizza better.

Green and purple are irrelevant

2014-05-27 11:43 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

And HAI TAN!

I miss you guys. A lot. Just crazy busy. When it's not busy, it's crazy.

2014-05-27 11:44 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

so the weekend of june 7/8 i have nothing really going on.  there are 2 local tris - should i do the cheaper sprint that is further away on saturday or the slightly more expensive but really close to home oly on sunday?  in case it matters, saturday's post-race food is crab cakes, sunday's is pizza.  HELP ME FIGURE OUT MY LIFE PLEASE.

Do both! Although crab cakes are hard to pass up...

2014-05-27 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

i like crab cakes WAY more than i like pizza (although i don't know about how that opinion changes after a hard workout effort, probably tips the scales to pizza and beer!)

both races are produced pretty equally well (but don't tell queenzipp i said that - she HATES the company putting on the sunday sprint, their race director is a freaking nightmare)

2014-05-27 11:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by MOlsen

i was right the first time, in summary - saturday: oly, 30 min drive, pizza and beer - sunday:  sprint, 90 min drive, crab cakes and wine

Edited by mehaner 2014-05-27 12:09 PM
2014-05-27 12:06 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by mr2tony

back at work.

can it be the holiday all over again?  i miss the weekend already.

Me too. Only four days to go!

Three for me since Friday I will be "marketing" on the golf course!

2014-05-27 12:10 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Sensei
Sin City

How was the long weekend everyone?

I had a somewhat stressful/uncomfortable week in Laguna Beach...  Caught a glimpse of a Lexus LFA though...

2014-05-27 12:12 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by MOlsen

i was right the first time, in summary - saturday: oly, 30 min drive, pizza and beer - sunday:  sprint, 90 min drive, crab cakes and wine

The former...  It's easy for me though.  Longer drives, shorter races, and crab cakes are NOT my thang....

2014-05-27 12:19 PM

User image

Melon Presser

i like crab cakes WAY more than i like pizza (although i don't know about how that opinion changes after a hard workout effort, probably tips the scales to pizza and beer!)

both races are produced pretty equally well (but don't tell queenzipp i said that - she HATES the company putting on the sunday sprint, their race director is a freaking nightmare)

Oly, straight up. 'Cause Gym and I SAID SO.

It's more bang for your buck mileage-wise in terms of the race and your gas bill.

You can buy yourself crab cakes and GOOD wine as a treat for dinner.

2014-05-27 12:24 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Kido

I had a somewhat stressful/uncomfortable week in Laguna Beach...  Caught a glimpse of a Lexus LFA though...

What was stressful about it? Isn't it usually hanging out at your dad's house (I could be totally wrong on the details, sorry)?

I was sick over the weekend and on Monday I had a hole punched through my gum and a bracket screwed into my jawbone. The good news is it only hurt for a day and in a few months I'll get a new tooth.

Today was beyond shyte, though. Too long to get into, and generally I always try to be/think positive, but some days are just shyte.

I guess I don't really have shyte days; I feel like I have a wonderful life and it evens out the tough days. But any day that involves my Mom at the ER, it's a shyte day.

Good news is she's okay now and going to be okay.

2014-05-27 12:29 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Glad to hear Mutti will be OK

2014-05-27 12:33 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I guess I don't really have shyte days; I feel like I have a wonderful life and it evens out the tough days.

I was just teaching this to the girls this weekend... there's no such thing as a bad day. There are only bad moments and how you choose to react to them and let them affect you.  

Of course, with the greater the magnitude of the bad moment, the harder this is to do, but if you can learn to apply this to at least all of the small things in life, it becomes very easy to have a lot of very happy days

At their age, it was all lost on them for now, but at least they may have thought about it for a few minutes before turning their attention to other things.

But any day that involves my Mom at the ER, it's a shyte day.

And this would be one of those things with a significantly greater magnitude

I'm glad to hear that things are going to be Ok

2014-05-27 12:52 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Socks

Glad to hear Mutti will be OK

Bless you, Doc Soo. You're like a hobbit ... with angel wings.

2014-05-27 12:53 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

What was stressful about it? Isn't it usually hanging out at your dad's house (I could be totally wrong on the details, sorry)?

I was sick over the weekend and on Monday I had a hole punched through my gum and a bracket screwed into my jawbone. The good news is it only hurt for a day and in a few months I'll get a new tooth.

Today was beyond shyte, though. Too long to get into, and generally I always try to be/think positive, but some days are just shyte.

I guess I don't really have shyte days; I feel like I have a wonderful life and it evens out the tough days. But any day that involves my Mom at the ER, it's a shyte day.

Sorry you were sick...

I hear you about the tooth.  I need to get one extracted due to some semi rare chemistry thing and an implant a later this year.  Yeah, the health thing is starting to be a concern for us.  The wife's dad is getting older and doesn't get well.  Plus that previous boss I enjoyed working for?  Come to find out he took his own life, and no one really knows why.  It doesn't make sense and leaves me in a daze of confusion.

The weekend was stressful for various reasons.  My little Honda is a little old and started to overheat in the LA traffic but got me to Laguna.  I did a little trouble shooting and didn't find anything wrong.  The trip home was tough because I kept my eye on the temp gauge the entire time.  I would hate to get stranded in the desert.

My bio dad and I basically different people.  I sort of get a feeling he is TRYING to be a bit fatherly (even though I'm freaking 45) I think of us a two guys hitting the course but he provides a lot of "guidance".  One of the things that took the cake is when I hit a bad golf shot, sometimes I curse at myself and he tries to be nice and say "take it easy, don't get so mad at yourself".  Then he will miss two bunker shots in a row, scream profanities and throw his clubs.  Sort of embarrassing.

I just think the dynamic of trying to reconnect with my "dad" after 40 years is odd.  I get uncomfortable when I start talking about stories of how "mom and dad" did that or that when I grew up.  I know he understands, but I don't want to hurt his feelings.  He introduces me as his "son" and that makes me cringe a bit.  It's technically true, but also not?  It's a bit like walking on eggshells at times.  I think he wants to have that dad/son thing, and I'm really trying to resist it, so any reference to dad/son just makes me uneasy. 

PLUS, I don't know how you guys in ocean areas sleep in humid conditions!  I swear I feel all clammy at night!  Any fold in my body (behind knee, elbows, neck) get's all damp and sweaty and the sheets always feel like they got pulled out of the dryer too soon when I get into bed.  I'm spoiled on bone dry air and crisp sheets.... 

So the entire weekend is FAR from being completely chill and laughing and lounging like I do at home.  It's assessing, fear of being assessed, good manners as if a guest in a strangers home (but a little better than that).  I actually prefer to have the wife there to take some of the attention away and have a partner for support.

I did hot the golf ball pretty well and caught a glimpse of a Lexus LFA - close to a half million dollar car.  I'm not a car guy so REALLY don't care that much, but still interesting to see.

2014-05-27 12:59 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by cgregg

I guess I don't really have shyte days; I feel like I have a wonderful life and it evens out the tough days.

I was just teaching this to the girls this weekend... there's no such thing as a bad day. There are only bad moments and how you choose to react to them and let them affect you.  

Of course, with the greater the magnitude of the bad moment, the harder this is to do, but if you can learn to apply this to at least all of the small things in life, it becomes very easy to have a lot of very happy days

At their age, it was all lost on them for now, but at least they may have thought about it for a few minutes before turning their attention to other things.

But any day that involves my Mom at the ER, it's a shyte day.

And this would be one of those things with a significantly greater magnitude

I'm glad to hear that things are going to be Ok

Yeah. Thank you. They ARE okay, and it's okay for me not to be okay for a while.

It's hard for any 80-year-old (and her daughter!) to be in a medically emergent situation. It's compounded in her case because she's deaf and has Alzheimer's, so the confusion of an ER and whatever distress she is already in (that prompted an ER visit) becomes terrifying to her. I can't say, 'cause I'm not a parent, but I think it may feel a little bit like what a parent with a special-needs child in that situation would go through.

One of the (extremely few) good things about dementia is she doesn't remember a thing that happened! It's only horrible at the time, and for me.

2014-05-27 1:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

AND it could be a bit more than a day.  I started looking back and 2011/2012 was not that hot for me.  Lost my job, lost insurance, but found cancer...  Stressful  BUT, I had the wife and family and friends to get through it.

It actually takes effort tot look back and remember how stressful it actually WAS at the time.  Now it looks like it was just a moment in time that has passed.  When my boss did what he did, and if anyone else is feeling the way he did, they HAVE to remember that IT WILL PASS and not look so bad in the rear view mirror.  Especially if you have a support system.

That's the reason that "Darkest before the Dawn", "time heals all wounds", "tomorrow will be brighter", and all those other clichés came about.  They are basically true - even if overused and campy...

ETA:  I'm shocked I got the quotes right on the first try...

Edited by Kido 2014-05-27 1:01 PM

2014-05-27 1:08 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Sorry you were sick...

I hear you about the tooth.  I need to get one extracted due to some semi rare chemistry thing and an implant a later this year.  Yeah, the health thing is starting to be a concern for us.  The wife's dad is getting older and doesn't get well.  Plus that previous boss I enjoyed working for?  Come to find out he took his own life, and no one really knows why.  It doesn't make sense and leaves me in a daze of confusion.

The weekend was stressful for various reasons.  My little Honda is a little old and started to overheat in the LA traffic but got me to Laguna.  I did a little trouble shooting and didn't find anything wrong.  The trip home was tough because I kept my eye on the temp gauge the entire time.  I would hate to get stranded in the desert.

My bio dad and I basically different people.  I sort of get a feeling he is TRYING to be a bit fatherly (even though I'm freaking 45) I think of us a two guys hitting the course but he provides a lot of "guidance".  One of the things that took the cake is when I hit a bad golf shot, sometimes I curse at myself and he tries to be nice and say "take it easy, don't get so mad at yourself".  Then he will miss two bunker shots in a row, scream profanities and throw his clubs.  Sort of embarrassing.

I just think the dynamic of trying to reconnect with my "dad" after 40 years is odd.  I get uncomfortable when I start talking about stories of how "mom and dad" did that or that when I grew up.  I know he understands, but I don't want to hurt his feelings.  He introduces me as his "son" and that makes me cringe a bit.  It's technically true, but also not?  It's a bit like walking on eggshells at times.  I think he wants to have that dad/son thing, and I'm really trying to resist it, so any reference to dad/son just makes me uneasy. 

PLUS, I don't know how you guys in ocean areas sleep in humid conditions!  I swear I feel all clammy at night!  Any fold in my body (behind knee, elbows, neck) get's all damp and sweaty and the sheets always feel like they got pulled out of the dryer too soon when I get into bed.  I'm spoiled on bone dry air and crisp sheets.... 

So the entire weekend is FAR from being completely chill and laughing and lounging like I do at home.  It's assessing, fear of being assessed, good manners as if a guest in a strangers home (but a little better than that).  I actually prefer to have the wife there to take some of the attention away and have a partner for support.

I did hot the golf ball pretty well and caught a glimpse of a Lexus LFA - close to a half million dollar car.  I'm not a car guy so REALLY don't care that much, but still interesting to see.

Good luck on the tooth thing. You'll be a lot happier when it gets done (duh, obviously) but it really isn't as awful as it seems. For a dude of your style for being a sucker for punishment (Silverman, anyone?) it'll hopefully be a cake walk.

That is just horrible news about your old boss. There's definitely a relationship there and it kinda eats a hole in the gut when someone takes their life. Tragic, tragic, tragic.

And parental stress--whether it's hurt parents or a difficult relationship--is all its own kind of stress. No matter how old we get we want our parents' approval, and yeah, it does matter to a good degree even if we don't want it to or however much we're working on being our own people.

2014-05-28 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Drive by TAN!!!  I can't believe this one is still going on.  Maybe this post will kill it.

2014-05-28 1:16 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Chatham Ontario
another drive by tanner.

So swamped lately I can't even get on here during lunch. Woofed down two veggie burgers for lunch today. I finally had a slow enough day to take a 20 min lunch yesterday so I spent it with SO and my 8 month old daughter. Not sure how she is 8 months already but WOW.

Hope everyone is doing well. Have a great week.

I am finally getting back to running and holding my knee at bay. Short 3-4 km runs. But I am running with lots of stretching at home.
2014-05-28 2:45 PM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

my older kids (13 and 14) left for camp today and then my wife gets on a sequestered jury!!!  No idea how long this will take, but I can't talk to her until the trial is over!

So, it is me and Jesse, my 5 yr old!  While I am looking forward to getting to hang out with him for a few days, it seems like everyone just up and left me!

2014-05-28 5:10 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Leaving - on a jet plane...

Off to San Fran in the morning, batches!!!  Next stop, Alcatraz.... or crashing at the bottom of one of them hills, or pewping myself trying to run up the sand ladder.

Have a great weekend, y'all!

2014-05-28 6:09 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Off to San Fran in the morning, batches!!!  Next stop, Alcatraz.... or crashing at the bottom of one of them hills, or pewping myself trying to run up the sand ladder.

Good luck.  One of the most enjoyable races I ever did.  Use the ropes on the sand ladder and mind your head in the tunnels if you are tall...

2014-05-29 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

super jealous.  have a blast.

2014-05-29 3:51 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

Good luck slick. Don't be shark food.
2014-05-30 7:33 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

FYI to get a road bike in a Genesis Coupe, you have to take both wheels off but it can absolutely be done.  Yippee!  Had an AWESOME ride last night!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around Rss Feed  

of 77

RELATED POSTS

TAN #180 Degrees (Turn Around, Every Now and Then) Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by TriAya
Views: 38765 Posts: 1749

2012-09-06 4:00 PM NRG42

TAN #160: Just farTAN' around as usual ... Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by TriAya
Views: 32425 Posts: 1598

2012-02-08 2:48 PM FoggyGoggles

FHA 203(k) and Fannie HomeStyle Rennovation Mortgages?

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 1173 Posts: 6

2011-09-15 9:57 PM Bripod

203(k) Loans

Started by kmanus
Views: 699 Posts: 3

2009-12-19 10:32 PM tetchypoo

To tan or not to tan - and I do not mean TAN Pages: 1 2

Started by The Nat
Views: 4724 Posts: 44

2009-03-08 12:02 PM hooslisa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.