General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight training and Ironman Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-29 1:32 PM

User image

Subject: Weight training and Ironman Training
I am headed into my first Ironman season. My race is still 9 months away (IMFL) but I am, of course, starting to build my base back up after the few months of less training in the winter. During the past 4 months I've only been doing 1-2 easy swims, 1-2 easy bikes, and about 25-30 miles of running per week (speed, tempo, and long run plus one additional short, easy typically). I have also been going to an hour long Les Mills Body Pump class twice a week and hitting the abs 3 times per week.

I honestly am not sure I will be able to lift weights on a regular basis once I up my training and start my Olympic, then HIM, then IM training schedule this year. We are so swamped with kids' sports, my husband coaching, and life that this may have to be put on hold until next winter. I know it's important, but does anyone else find they can be successful without the weight training? Help! I can only do so much. I may still try to lift twice week for 20-30 minutes and keep the three 15-20 min ab sessions. Enough??

Thanks!

2014-01-29 4:45 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Weight training and Ironman Training
For me, I just don't have the time to include weight training when I'm in Ironman prep. I try to do some yoga in my spare time to keep my body happy, but couldn't fit in weight specific sessions.
2014-01-29 9:50 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

I lifted on my "off" day. I mostly did upper body but I did some leg work and ab/core stuff. It's just too hard to lift when you're seriously into training. I just didn't want my upper body to turn to crap. Not like I look like the hulk but I worked my butt off in HS to get past the 140 pound scrawny look and would like to get it that way. Weight, and unfortunately muscle, came flying off once I hit 15+ hours/week so I was just trying to minimize the loss until the tamper and post race.
2014-01-30 12:29 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Originally posted by Blastman

I lifted on my "off" day. I mostly did upper body but I did some leg work and ab/core stuff. It's just too hard to lift when you're seriously into training. I just didn't want my upper body to turn to crap. Not like I look like the hulk but I worked my butt off in HS to get past the 140 pound scrawny look and would like to get it that way. Weight, and unfortunately muscle, came flying off once I hit 15+ hours/week so I was just trying to minimize the loss until the tamper and post race.

I can only hope the weight goes flying off me at 15 plus hours per week. I am not hopeful. ) I have a terrible time losing weight. I need to lose 5 pounds between now and when I start my serious HIM training. We will see! Thanks for this. At least I know I am normal with lacking the time. I can't train my entire life away.
2014-01-30 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
The only time I could squeeze in weight training during IM training was early on when I was doing treadmill running due to the cold/ice. Just 20 minutes or so after stretching after a run. Once in the bulk of it, sadly I just couldn't do it and keep up with the rest of my life. I would still do 2 10-20 minute core sessions each week and stretch whenever I had a spare moment. Coworkers always give me funny looks when stretching at the water cooler...
2014-01-30 11:05 PM

User image

New user
penticton
unless you are 40 year old or older, doing weight training isn't the best investment for your time. it wont contribute to make you a faster triathlete.

The best strength training you can do is

some swim set with paddles

Big gear sets on the bike

Hill repeat on the run

those are sport specific...not only will they contribute in making you stronger, but they will make you also faster!

2014-01-31 12:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

If you're going to lift, then do it now before the training ramps up. You want training to be more specific to the race as you get closer in to them. And the lifting done now should more to compliment s/b/r training, not replace sessions. So things that don't get worked as much (or at all) by s/b/r.

2014-01-31 4:05 PM

This is something that I have been slack on in recent years. So far this year I have been completing superset circuits finishing of with some form or cardio (500m row, 60 min indoor bike spin etc).

So far I am finding this really beneficial and have a spring in my step that I have not had for a long time.

Good luck with your training
Andrew
2014-02-20 2:17 PM
in reply to: ajcrabtree

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Yes: weight train. Lighter weights with minimum 30-50 reps in a circuit. Easy to do in the gym after a swim. Leg extensions, leg curls, leg presses, chest press, should press, lat pulldowns, straight arm pulldowns. Spend non less than 20 minutes (about 1 or 2 circuits) and no more than 40 minutes (3 or 4 circuits). Perform once per week at a minimum, no more than 3 times per week.

These provide great benefit, just won't make you any faster. They protect you from injury, help you recover from long workouts by impinging blood to those areas and marginally build up strength. Its also fun and relaxing.

Life is about balance. IM takes you to the edge of stamina and the borderline of repetitive use injuries. Weight training is a great balance to that.
2014-02-21 8:27 AM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by FranzZemen Yes: weight train. Lighter weights with minimum 30-50 reps in a circuit. Easy to do in the gym after a swim. Leg extensions, leg curls, leg presses, chest press, should press, lat pulldowns, straight arm pulldowns. Spend non less than 20 minutes (about 1 or 2 circuits) and no more than 40 minutes (3 or 4 circuits). Perform once per week at a minimum, no more than 3 times per week. These provide great benefit, just won't make you any faster. They protect you from injury, help you recover from long workouts by impinging blood to those areas and marginally build up strength. Its also fun and relaxing. Life is about balance. IM takes you to the edge of stamina and the borderline of repetitive use injuries. Weight training is a great balance to that.

Weight training does not generally help protect you from repetitive use injury.  Nor will it help your recovery.  It might be fun and relaxing for you.  However, if you are inclined to weight train in order to get some potential tri benefits, then you should probably lift for strength (ie, not lighter weights and high rep sets).

2014-02-21 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by FranzZemen Yes: weight train. Lighter weights with minimum 30-50 reps in a circuit. Easy to do in the gym after a swim. Leg extensions, leg curls, leg presses, chest press, should press, lat pulldowns, straight arm pulldowns. Spend non less than 20 minutes (about 1 or 2 circuits) and no more than 40 minutes (3 or 4 circuits). Perform once per week at a minimum, no more than 3 times per week. These provide great benefit, just won't make you any faster. They protect you from injury, help you recover from long workouts by impinging blood to those areas and marginally build up strength. Its also fun and relaxing. Life is about balance. IM takes you to the edge of stamina and the borderline of repetitive use injuries. Weight training is a great balance to that.

Weight training does not generally help protect you from repetitive use injury.  Nor will it help your recovery.  It might be fun and relaxing for you.  However, if you are inclined to weight train in order to get some potential tri benefits, then you should probably lift for strength (ie, not lighter weights and high rep sets).

Strongly and respectfully disagree. But its okay, even the weightlifting world is historically split on sets, reps, cycles and so on.

Please don't go lifting heavy weights in the 6-12 rep range, especially if you can't sustain it 3 times per week minimum over a long period of time. You put yourself at risk for injury and you'll be building mass (if you do it often enough). You'll build strength with good resistance (hey it has to burn)at higher reps. And yes, you will strengthen your tendons, stabilizer muscles and other areas that will help avoid overuse injuries. (Of course, if you're already on the edge, it could actually cause overuse injuries if you jump in too fast). Strength training is not a substitute for proper form in the three tri disciplines, a source of overuse injuries, though.

Edited by FranzZemen 2014-02-21 3:16 PM

2014-02-26 1:10 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by FranzZemen

Strongly and respectfully disagree. But its okay, even the weightlifting world is historically split on sets, reps, cycles and so on.

Please don't go lifting heavy weights in the 6-12 rep range, especially if you can't sustain it 3 times per week minimum over a long period of time. You put yourself at risk for injury and you'll be building mass (if you do it often enough). You'll build strength with good resistance (hey it has to burn)at higher reps. And yes, you will strengthen your tendons, stabilizer muscles and other areas that will help avoid overuse injuries. (Of course, if you're already on the edge, it could actually cause overuse injuries if you jump in too fast). Strength training is not a substitute for proper form in the three tri disciplines, a source of overuse injuries, though.

Interestingly, the research on improvements in endurance sport and strength training supports high weight low rep much more so than low weight high rep.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight training and Ironman Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

12 Month Ironman Training Program/ IM Train Prgrm Questions

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 14163 Posts: 24

2009-07-17 12:01 PM magic

Training, Training Logs, Coaches, Over Training

Started by rmullen1
Views: 2604 Posts: 20

2008-02-04 12:56 PM infosteward

Weight training during IM training Pages: 1 2

Started by BrianO
Views: 2233 Posts: 26

2007-12-18 7:42 PM Spider

Weight Training while training for an Ironman

Started by android411
Views: 1110 Posts: 8

2006-05-11 12:27 PM ladavidson

Ironman and 1/2 Ironman training

Started by FIN16
Views: 3731 Posts: 9

2004-10-24 11:21 PM NoisyD
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : June 29, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on losing weight during half Ironman training, high sugar fruits to avoid, and the Paleo diet.
date : September 15, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
While adequate protein is important in your sports diet, protein should take its place as the accompaniment to carbs (grains, fruits, vegetables) in each meal and snack.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.