2014-01-31 9:56 AM

User image

Wetaskiwin Canada
Subject: Sports Drinks

2014-01-31 10:13 AM
in reply to: Drago

User image

Subject: RE: Sports Drinks
That's a very interesting article.... It was a good read!
2014-01-31 11:30 AM
in reply to: ErikTaylor

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I breezed through it but would generally agree.

I don't drink them unless my workout exceeds 60-90 minutes.  Shorter than that I only drink water.

2014-01-31 11:39 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Triathlon is unnecessary. 

2014-01-31 12:02 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Nothing new here, I think it has been well established that your glucose supply will last between 60-90 minutes.

The test they did on runners was obviously flaw based on the results. From university tests I have been through in the past, it's apparent that they did not have good control parameters on the participants or their electrolytes would not have gone up during the test.

I use only water until I get past the 1 hr mark, after that I introduce nutrition. If you wait til 90 minutes you won't be able to get anything in your system fast enough before you bonk!

It's good that they put this out however because so many people think they need "Gatorade" for a 1/2 hour pool swim or 20 minutes on the treadmill.
2014-01-31 12:18 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by mike761 Nothing new here, I think it has been well established that your glucose supply will last between 60-90 minutes. The test they did on runners was obviously flaw based on the results. From university tests I have been through in the past, it's apparent that they did not have good control parameters on the participants or their electrolytes would not have gone up during the test. I use only water until I get past the 1 hr mark, after that I introduce nutrition. If you wait til 90 minutes you won't be able to get anything in your system fast enough before you bonk! It's good that they put this out however because so many people think they need "Gatorade" for a 1/2 hour pool swim or 20 minutes on the treadmill.

your *glycogen* stores are approximately 2000 calories. Depending on the effort level of your exercise this will probably last close to 2 hours.

Study is correct, most people don't need to drink Gatorade. However, most triathletes should be fueling before, after, and often during workouts to improve recovery and make sure they are ready for the next one.

2014-01-31 12:45 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by mike761 Nothing new here, I think it has been well established that your glucose supply will last between 60-90 minutes. The test they did on runners was obviously flaw based on the results. From university tests I have been through in the past, it's apparent that they did not have good control parameters on the participants or their electrolytes would not have gone up during the test. I use only water until I get past the 1 hr mark, after that I introduce nutrition. If you wait til 90 minutes you won't be able to get anything in your system fast enough before you bonk! It's good that they put this out however because so many people think they need "Gatorade" for a 1/2 hour pool swim or 20 minutes on the treadmill.

your *glycogen* stores are approximately 2000 calories. Depending on the effort level of your exercise this will probably last close to 2 hours.

Study is correct, most people don't need to drink Gatorade. However, most triathletes should be fueling before, after, and often during workouts to improve recovery and make sure they are ready for the next one.

Yes glycogen, sorry I was thinking one thing and typing another.

The article in general is correct but the test they mention was not. If they properly controlled the test the athletes would have been fasted before started, and would not have been able to increase their electrolytes in the process. Without all the test data we don't know exactly what they did or did not do correctly. As for length of time to depleat, that depends on the individual, generally it is between 60 to 90 minutes at high efforts. Most triathlete will bike longer then that so they require nutrition in order to function properly. As for needing a sports drink to get ready for your next workout, that depends on how soon your next workout is and what you plan on eating in between.

Lots of variables here.

Yes I agree with the article not with the study they noted. Yes many triathletes need to be using sports drinks at times, but not after 1/2 hr swims or 1/2 hr runs.
2014-01-31 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I know Greg quite well. He is right most folks don't need them. I use Nuun on short sessions or half strength powder mix if its higher intensity but short (1hr).
2014-01-31 7:02 PM

User image

I take in more fluids if they are flavored. Its completely dumb, but it works for me. I stick with nuun, so I'm not adding calories just electrolytes.
2014-01-31 9:29 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Water for anything under 1:30 for me. I mix my own blend of maltodextrin with gu brew for flavor and fizz if I'll be going longer, with another bottle of water. I'll sip at it the entire time, right from the get go. I'm a big guy, and I need to keep fueling for long efforts, but I don't sweat terribly after I get comfortable and settle in for the long haul. Of course, that might change, I've been changing shape and getting leaner and my needs might change.
2014-02-01 6:46 AM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not dumb. I think flavor is a legitimate reason for adding something to water. On a long workout in Saigon during the hottest time of the year, I might be taking in four liters (a gallon) of water over the course of 3-4 hours. Four liters of water that tastes like anything other than warm plastic is much more likely to actually get into me and stay down! Lemon-lime Nuun is my additive of choice since it dissolves clear and leaves less "scum" than the other drinks; if I need nutrition (for rides over 2 hours, runs over 90 minutes), I generally take bananas or energy bars on the bike, gu on the run. Sweet drinks just aren't palatable and tend to upset my stomach, esp. in the heat and on hard efforts.

2014-02-01 2:48 PM

User image

i find coconut water helps with recovery
2014-02-02 9:43 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Veteran
If a short work out - i.e. less than an hour, not needed. But if I have a long run, or play couple hours of intense basketball or soccer, I need a recovery sports drink or I am wiped out the next two days. I always have it in my car so I have it when needed.
2014-02-03 12:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It also depends on conditions. In tropical heat/humidity, I do find that drinking electrolyte drinks (sugar-free in my case) prevents cramps and keeps my energy levels up much better than water. Not sure what the scientific evidence is for this but I definitely notice a difference in my body--it's hard for me to complete a longer run or ride here on plain water without major cramping. Then again, the conditions I train in most off the year would be pretty unusual for Canada! In Oregon, it doesn't seem to matter until the run/ride gets to the two-hour range. Unless I think I might be dehydrated from a previous workout, I generally don't use electrolyte drinks for swims (usually in the 45-60 minute range) or strength training (about 30 minutes, in air-con).

I do have to laugh when I see people lifting at our (nicely air-con) gym, barely breaking a sweat, chugging a big bottle of scary-colored Gatorade. (Don't know about North America but it comes in bright blue here.) I'm sure they're taking in way more calories than they're burning off, way more salt than they're sweating off, and some pretty scary artificial flavors/colors besides.

As for recovery drinks, there are plenty of other ways to get the needed protein and carbs besides commercial "recovery" products. Nothing against them, but people can get the same benefit from chocolate milk, or smoothies with yogurt and fruit, or even a peanut butter and banana sandwich. It's more a matter of what's convenient and palatable.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-02-03 12:23 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports Drinks Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sports Drink Suggestions Pages: 1 2

Started by purpleapple
Views: 2357 Posts: 34

2007-09-24 9:38 PM Infinit2

Sports Drinks that won't cause bloating Pages: 1 2

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 6453 Posts: 30

2006-04-14 10:47 PM PGoldberger

Sports drinks

Started by CindyK
Views: 703 Posts: 7

2004-08-16 12:15 PM CindyK

sports drinks

Started by CindyK
Views: 1143 Posts: 20

2004-07-09 10:24 AM ODogg

Sports drink mix

Started by Tri40
Views: 966 Posts: 2

2004-01-17 5:05 AM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 23, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Learn what the latest research is on using caffeine, sports drinks, cherry juice and beets to improve your triathlon performance.

date : January 20, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!
date : March 15, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
"I've tried several sport drinks during training for last years CDA race and all ended up giving me incredible gas problems during the run."

date : May 6, 2009
While there is a time and a place for engineered sports foods, many athletes needlessly waste a lot of money misusing them. The purpose of this article is to help you become an informed consumer.
date : June 17, 2008
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.

date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.
date : July 3, 2006
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.

date : April 18, 2005
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance