General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone have any experience taking Juice+ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-31 11:18 AM

User image

New user

Concord, NC
Subject: Anyone have any experience taking Juice+
***Serious question - not posting to hype/promote, etc I realize this is a product sold by multi-level marketing and I am not looking for those
that may sell this product to respond back that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, if you are connected with it a distributor, feel free to comment but please disclose that in your response.

Last night I attended a speaking engagement by a Dr David Phillips. He was speaking about health, sports medicine, exercise, vitamins, and of course, his experience with Juice + (which he is a distributor and goes around doing these 'Live life to the Plus+' lectures). He was an accomplished triathlete in the mid-2000's (2005 Kona) so I figured it would be worth me time to accept an invite from some friends who sell the product and knew I did triathlons.

The basic product is whole food fruits and vegetables which have been dehydrated(?) and put into capsule form for daily consumption.

Sounds interesting and potentially beneficial for athletes like us who are constantly taxing our bodies with workout related stress, and know the key role that nutrition plays in our training/recovery/races, etc.

I wanted to reach out to this community to see if anyone has used this and if so, for how long, and what your experience has been? (good, bad, indifferent))

Like I said at the top, this is a sincere inquire. I heard a lecture and was hoping to solicit unbiased remarks from triathletes to try to determine if this product is worth adding to my diet.

Thanks!

2014-02-05 11:53 AM
in reply to: jlshafer

User image

New user

Concord, NC
Subject: RE: Anyone have any experience taking Juice+
Wow...either nobody has experience with it, or nobody took my question seriously.

Anyone?
2014-02-05 11:57 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I have no experience with it but I struggle to understand why you would take a pill of dehydrated fruits and vegetables rather than just eat some fruit and vegetables.

2014-02-05 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

eat food, not gimmicks.

2014-02-05 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by jlshafer Wow...either nobody has experience with it, or nobody took my question seriously. Anyone?

It taste like SPAM!  :/

2014-02-05 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
At best, you are getting all the nutrients you'd get with eating fruits and vegetables.
At worse, they lose some in the process and overcharge for the convenience.

So, decide for yourself: is it worth it compared to just shopping the produce aisle?

2014-02-05 1:59 PM

User image

**DISCLAIMER** - Juice Plus customer and casual distributor.

There's nothing magical about Juice Plus. It's simply dehydrated fruits and veggies whose powder is put into a capsule. No more, no less.

I agree that it's not as good as actually eating whole fruits and vegetables. The problem is we don't, at least not the recommended nine servings per day. Juice Plus would tell you that they aren't trying to replace fruits and veggies, but offer an easy option to bridge what you do eat and what you should eat.

People tend to confuse J+ with vitamins. Juice Plus offers easy to swallow whole food nutrition vs. synthetically engineered macronutrients in vitamins. Vitamins have been shown over and over in scientific studies to be of absolutely no value and actually cause harm in many cases. Juice Plus on the other hand has been subjected to many gold standard double blind placebo testing from some of best medical facilities in the world and has been shown time and time again to reduce oxidate stress, lower homocysteine levels, increase cardiovascular wellness, and the list goes on and on.
2014-02-05 6:00 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
My wife started taking Juice Plus about a year ago and swears by it. She wasn't very good about getting her Daily fruits and vegetables, so I think this helps her to get those a bit more. She says she feels like she has more energy, and it has also helped her hair, nails, and complexion. Personally, I think they look like gummy bears for grown ups, but I haven't tried them. They do seem to send copious amounts of the little suckers and it seems like half of our closet is full of them.
If you already get your daily dose of fruits and vegetables, then I don't see much use for them. However, if that's a problem for you, then I think they are probably worth a shot.
2014-02-05 6:58 PM
in reply to: austiry

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by austiry

There's nothing magical about Juice Plus. It's simply dehydrated fruits and veggies whose powder is put into a capsule. No more, no less.

I agree that it's not as good as actually eating whole fruits and vegetables. The problem is we don't, at least not the recommended nine servings per day. Juice Plus would tell you that they aren't trying to replace fruits and veggies, but offer an easy option to bridge what you do eat and what you should eat.

People tend to confuse J+ with vitamins. Juice Plus offers easy to swallow whole food nutrition vs. synthetically engineered macronutrients in vitamins. Vitamins have been shown over and over in scientific studies to be of absolutely no value and actually cause harm in many cases. Juice Plus on the other hand has been subjected to many gold standard double blind placebo testing from some of best medical facilities in the world and has been shown time and time again to reduce oxidate stress, lower homocysteine levels, increase cardiovascular wellness, and the list goes on and on.

Care to whip out links to any of those gold standard double blind studies? I'd love to read them.
2014-02-05 8:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Hmmm.   I have used it.   It helped my lower GI  recover from the effect of 5FU.     Juice plus helped, but the side effect is so annoying.  Be prepared to fart long, loudly, and often. 

Now my GI works nominally with simply eating a proper, balanced diet.  Plenty of real fruit and vegetables.  Meat is fine as long as it is proportional.  The only other thing I do to maintain health is an occasional vitamin B12 shot.     I do those myself.     

This diet has lead to a heathy functioning  lower GI.    Emissions are minimum now.   

Edited by MadMathemagician 2014-02-05 8:38 PM
2014-02-06 1:46 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

Master
, California

Originally posted by dfroelich At best, you are getting all the nutrients you'd get with eating fruits and vegetables. At worse, they lose some in the process and overcharge for the convenience. So, decide for yourself: is it worth it compared to just shopping the produce aisle?

Actually the worst case for any supplement is if you get some added "bonus" ingredients that make sick or make you fail a test.  The supplement industry in the U.S. is notorious for being poorly controlled.  I have no experience with this particular product, but do your research and don't just take the manufacturer's claims for granted.

Some others have been really bad:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/blog/2013/10/15/methamphetamine-found-in-supplements/

2014-02-06 9:29 AM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Originally posted by JZig

Care to whip out links to any of those gold standard double blind studies? I'd love to read them.

Here you go...enjoy!!

http://www.juiceplusvirtualfranchise.com/content/juiceplus-virtual-...
2014-02-06 6:18 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

New user

Concord, NC
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Originally posted by jlshafer Wow...either nobody has experience with it, or nobody took my question seriously. Anyone?

It taste like SPAM!  :/

Read your comment, and then glanced over and saw the 'Report Spam' button. Nice!
2014-02-06 6:26 PM

User image

New user

Concord, NC
Thanks for your input folks! It appear to be a well studied/published product. I agree that fruits and veggies are the way to go in general but I don't tend to consistently take in a much as I should daily. Hadn't heard about 'emissions' issues, but that's something I need to be mindful of.
2014-02-06 7:28 PM
in reply to: austiry

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

Originally posted by JZig

Here you go...enjoy!!

http://www.juiceplusvirtualfranchise.com/content/juiceplus-virtual-...

Interesting. Lots of studys confirming changes in blood chemistry vs a placebo. Although I didn't see any comparing juice+ vs eating actual fruits and vegetables. The one I happened on that measured actual athletic performance showed no change in performance.

It looks like there are probably worse proucts out there, but I'll keep taking my chances in the produce aisle.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone have any experience taking Juice+ Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

advice or experience: considering taking two weeks off running in middle of first HIM training

Started by tallvinny
Views: 625 Posts: 3

2012-02-29 8:20 PM ziggie204

Naked Juice and 'juicing'

Started by gti123
Views: 14063 Posts: 7

2012-01-03 11:11 AM Rover24

Having a hard time taking time off training

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1374 Posts: 7

2010-07-03 10:53 AM Karl Hungus

Anyone else having problems downloading from your Garmin?

Started by kcovert1
Views: 2281 Posts: 16

2009-01-03 3:08 PM kcovert1

anyone else having problems with editing log?

Started by Tizzy
Views: 968 Posts: 2

2006-06-27 11:10 PM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Nutrition highlights from The American College of Sports Medicine 2013.

date : July 23, 2012
comments : 1
Learn what the latest research is on using caffeine, sports drinks, cherry juice and beets to improve your triathlon performance.
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : September 12, 2009
Maintaining bone health throughout the lifespan should be a priority for all athletes, starting as youngsters and continuing as master's athletes.
date : May 9, 2007
After a hard workout, I really like having a Coke or Pepsi. How bad is this for recovery and for my health? Should I stop drinking orange juice because it is loaded with (fattening) carbs and sugar?

date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.