General Discussion Race Reports! » Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key West, Florida
United States
Questor Multisport & Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 21m 28s
Overall Rank = 28/300
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/22
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast, setup transition,
Event warmup:

walked to beach start, little bit of splashing
Swim
  • 40m 58s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went fine, the first leg out hit a bit more chop than I expected and I had a moment that I had to adjust to swimming in my suit... I'm claustrophobic but I tell you I had a moment! I settled, put my head down and rocked it out. Seemed to be a bit long, but no problem. Enjoyed the swim course... sun coming up, clear water... not a bad setting.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, I could have used a bit faster turn over, I tend to put it on cruise control when swimming these long distances.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Stripper were on the dock... I wasn't sure I wanted to set down there with my head spinning fresh out of the water... so I passed on them. My suit comes off alright on my own.
Bike
  • 2h 27m 57s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I'd be faster here, but after seeing the course and then racing it... traffic is an issue here. Scenery is awesome but It would be awesome to have a lane as opposed to riding on the shoulder, dodging trash and other stuff.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Run
  • 2h 10m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Awful absolutely awful.... I think I made a huge blunder with my water bottles... both were some of my larger volume bottles and have been sitting during the winter and I used Key West tap water to fill them. My bottles just tasted a little off and when I started to run... my stomach felt REALLY off. I started feeling like I could vomit around mile one and I finally did around mile 3 and then lost count. It wasn't limited to vomiting either and I'll just leave it at that. :/

So I spent 13 miles in torture and really contemplated not finishing the race... I'd run a bit, grab a water bottle at aid station, vomit, walk for a bit then run again when I felt a little better. No way to describe it other than awful
What would you do differently?:

Be a bit more careful with my water bottles...
Post race
Warm down:

Med staff took great care of me, got me sitting down and ice rubbed on my back, my stomach just ached. Not sure if the ice helped my stomach but it sure didn't hurt me... some of my spectator went and bought me some water bottles because they'd run out at the finish line and the truck was stuck in traffic...

I digress... I ended up going into the med ten and laying down for a bit and just relaxing, it felt good not to be running and vomiting. I got up and walked the mile or so back to the condo with one of my spectators... took a nice long shower started feeling better... man what an experience that was!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Major GI discomfort!!!!

Event comments:

Want to do this one again with the opportunity to actually run the run course.... first time I've had this sort of thing happen and want another crack at it. Love the course, scenery, etc. Race organizers seem very interested in making a better event and improving... I applaud that.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:58 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/22
Overall: 29/300
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:27:57 | 56 miles | 22.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/22
Overall: 8/300
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on Rt. 1
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:10:27 | 13.1 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/22
Overall: 72/300
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back loop twice with White St. Pier (mostly water front) with a third short loop to make up for the nixed jog across town and finish at Mallory Square. Honestly I think keeping it central works better for all... race staff, locals, cuts down on volunteers needed, spectators, vacationers... although it would be really cool to finish there.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-02-01 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Subject: Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course

2014-02-04 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4942451

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course
Congrats! You had a perfect day weather wise and the seas were the flatest I have ever seen them in January. By the way though, I live in Key West and drink the tap water everyday, it is actually very high quality and doesn't taste off in any way, so not sure what was going on with your stomach. I have lived all over the country, so I have to say the water here is on par and better than many places I have lived.

I did this race last year and can say that I did see people get sick, but that was mostly because of 3-5 foot seas and the heat (not properly hydrating.) In any event, you did well and hopefully they do this again.
2014-07-01 10:45 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Subject: RE: Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course
Thank you for that... maybe it wasn't the tap water. Maybe I drank a bit of sea water... yes I hope they do it again and thank you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bone Island Tri - Half Iron Course

Started by Aust1227
Views: 1676 Posts: 6

2014-01-31 9:07 AM Turnin2

Started by Tripopo
Views: 1332 Posts: 2

2013-02-01 5:33 AM spearit

Started by hypersteve
Views: 2266 Posts: 9

2013-01-23 8:11 PM hypersteve

Started by firemedic1070
Views: 1219 Posts: 3

2013-01-15 7:42 AM spearit

Started by spearit
Views: 2220 Posts: 12

2013-01-15 1:57 PM spearit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : September 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Maintaining bone health throughout the lifespan should be a priority for all athletes, starting as youngsters and continuing as master's athletes.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.
date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.