General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any beet juice fans out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-07 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: Any beet juice fans out there?
So I've read up and am finding a 50/50 split saying beet juice is good for endurance athletes. It's healthy for you so worst case scenario I'm helping my immune system. My question is, how much are you drinking. In all honesty the stuff is horrible but tolerable when mixed with other juices. I've been trying it for 2 weeks, and for lack of better words having trouble with the natural laxative part. I couldn't imagine taking this stuff before a long race. I take it first thing in the morning, and try to space out workouts 2-3 hours later (it's my understanding peak benefits are 3 hours after consumption). I use a bottle of Biotta a week so not consuming huge quanities.

2014-02-07 9:40 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Any beet juice fans out there?

I use half a bottle of Biotta a week. getting pricey. I know another guy who buys beets and juices them with carrots and oranges... i need to run some numbers on how long i can keep buying Biotta before the juicer would have paid for itself...  

I notice a difference when I am on versus off.  unfortunately good dental hygiene isn't good for it since it only works with massive amounts of bacteria naturally in your mouth.

2014-02-07 9:47 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
2014-02-07 10:12 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by ejshowers

Dwight?

Not sure I follow?

As for juicing, I'd imagine juicing beets would be an awful mess. The bottles at my local publix are $5 so not too bad. If you're only using a half bottle a week maybe I am taking too much?
2014-02-07 10:24 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by rjrankin83
Originally posted by ejshowers Dwight?
Not sure I follow? As for juicing, I'd imagine juicing beets would be an awful mess. The bottles at my local publix are $5 so not too bad. If you're only using a half bottle a week maybe I am taking too much?

sorry i meant per day... 6.50 at whole foods here. i get a 10% discount because i buy by the case

2014-02-08 2:58 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Quebec City
started last week and did a full glass through my juicer. Didnt wash the beets......tasted like dirt and a very upset stomach and peed very red almost scary. I dont know if its my brain or if the benefits was there but felt much better and the end of my long run breath wise. Today im trying half a glass with pineapple ginger carrots and apple and i ll post my results after my BJJ clas this afternoon.

2014-02-08 6:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama

I used BEET IT Shots consistently last year. Much easier to use than drinking a bottle of beet juice. Also does not have the laxative effect of bottled beet juice. I started with the bottled juice then found these and never went back. A little pricey but I felt like I was benefitting with consistent use. May have been a placebo effect....who knows.  I have also seen a similar beet product that comes in a powder form that you reconstitute with water. Can't remember the name and have never tried them.

http://beet-it.com/us/

http://beetit.com/product/beet-it-stamina-shot-sport/

Edited by slornow 2014-02-08 6:18 AM
2014-02-08 8:56 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

New user
KY
We juice all the time with beets as well as beet greens and love it. My husband and I feel great and have seen improvements in training, particularly added volume without increased lack of energy. Try juicing along with sweeter fruits such as apples, strawberries, etc. And do not be alarmed if your urine has a red tint!
2014-02-08 12:28 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I have a nutri-bullet and use beets sometimes.
1 small/ medium beet
1 tablespoon fresh ginger
1 orange
1 banana
5-6 chunks of pineapple
1 TBS flax seed
1 TBS chia seed
1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk

The taste of the beets isn't too noticeable.
2014-02-08 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by rjrankin83

Originally posted by ejshowers

Dwight?

Not sure I follow?

As for juicing, I'd imagine juicing beets would be an awful mess. The bottles at my local publix are $5 so not too bad. If you're only using a half bottle a week maybe I am taking too much?

Just a joke. Not a watcher of "The Office" I take it.
2014-02-08 4:57 PM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by slornow

I used BEET IT Shots consistently last year. Much easier to use than drinking a bottle of beet juice. Also does not have the laxative effect of bottled beet juice. I started with the bottled juice then found these and never went back. A little pricey but I felt like I was benefitting with consistent use. May have been a placebo effect....who knows.  I have also seen a similar beet product that comes in a powder form that you reconstitute with water. Can't remember the name and have never tried them.

I have a half marathon coming up in early March and ordered some Beet-It sports shots to give it a try.  

Did you follow a 'load' period of 5 or 6 days before your race?  Did you take 1 or 2 shots on race day?

2014-02-08 6:06 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Scott71

Originally posted by slornow

I have a half marathon coming up in early March and ordered some Beet-It sports shots to give it a try.  

Did you follow a 'load' period of 5 or 6 days before your race?  Did you take 1 or 2 shots on race day?

I think I followed the "load" period leading into the race and tried to do another shot 2 hours prior to my race. Through most of the season I didn't use them everyday but mostly when I was heading into a race.

2014-02-08 11:13 PM

Veteran
I actually love, love, love beets so can eat an entire jar in one sitting and then drink the juice. mmm, mmmm. but do I see a change in my performance? not at all.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any beet juice fans out there? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Naked Juice and 'juicing'

Started by gti123
Views: 14063 Posts: 7

2012-01-03 11:11 AM Rover24

New Gatorade Flavor: Beet Juice?

Started by mgalanter
Views: 2367 Posts: 9

2011-02-05 5:01 PM bwingate

Core Work outs

Started by renegadebuddhacoach
Views: 825 Posts: 4

2005-08-08 4:54 PM renegadebuddhacoach

Midnight work outs Pages: 1 2

Started by cobannero
Views: 2341 Posts: 32

2005-07-22 3:29 PM lexington476

worms and wipe-outs

Started by pooh bear
Views: 894 Posts: 10

2005-05-10 9:55 AM CLLinIA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Nutrition highlights from The American College of Sports Medicine 2013.

date : July 23, 2012
comments : 1
Learn what the latest research is on using caffeine, sports drinks, cherry juice and beets to improve your triathlon performance.
date : May 24, 2012
Learn the effects that beets, cherries, sleep and body image have on your athletic performance.

date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?
date : December 4, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on strength training, juicing, Ironman run nutrition issues, getting more protein as a lacto-ovo vegetarian and whey protein usage.

date : May 9, 2007
After a hard workout, I really like having a Coke or Pepsi. How bad is this for recovery and for my health? Should I stop drinking orange juice because it is loaded with (fattening) carbs and sugar?
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.