General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help! Missed last long bike ride. Add one and shorten taper period? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-08 2:31 AM

Subject: Help! Missed last long bike ride. Add one and shorten taper period?
Hi everyone -

I will be participating in my first IM (IM New Zealand) in 3 weeks from now, March 1st.

I had planned to go for my last long bike ride today (6hrs) but the rain kept on pouring and I had to cut it short after 4 hours on the bike. I am basically debating between another long (6hr) ride and a longer/ shorter taper period. I am wondering what would be the best between the following options (or please tell me if you have better suggestions!)

Option 1- Start my taper next week as I originally planned, with the long ride at ~4hours, and then 2hrs the following week
Option 2- Increase the 4hr bike ride planned for next week to 6hrs to cover up for the "missed" training day today - and start the taper phase a week later, 2 weeks before the race.

So far over the past month I have done three 5hr+ rides and one 3hr-ride (as part of a HIM).

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Steph.

2014-02-08 8:18 AM
in reply to: stephnolet

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Help! Missed last long bike ride. Add one and shorten taper period?

I'm a 100% believer that triathletes taper way too long for their events.  I'd put 3 weeks in the way too long category.

Do another full training week (to include another long bike) and do a 10-14 day taper.

2014-02-08 9:51 AM

User image

New user
penticton
Subject: RE: Help! Missed last long bike ride. Add one and shorten taper period?
First- I m a big beleiver in stick to the plan. Dont change anything, kept it as you had it plan. If you really think your performance come down to 2h ride time that you had to cut.....there might be bigger issue

• second. 3 week taper is totally appropriate. What i think GMAN might refer to his people that goes on taper start resting right from the start.

Tapering mean a reduction in load (volume+intensity) progressively over 3 weeks leading up to the race. With most of my athlete, they do get SHOCK at how hard the first week of taper is....how much still need to be done. Well. it s a reduction from there big huge monster build week but not by much... taper dosnt mean holiday. Taper is simply a short word to explain the reduction of training load.

of the 3 sport...running is the one that need the most reduction early on as recovery his longer....
    2014-02-08 2:29 PM

User image

Master
    Kailua, Hawaii
    I'd stick with your plan, option 1.

Best not to try and "make up" lost training IMO.

Your past volume should be sufficient...don't sweat the loss of 2 hrs.

2014-02-09 12:21 AM
    in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Cypress, TX

Originally posted by jonnyo First- I m a big beleiver in stick to the plan. Dont change anything, kept it as you had it plan. If you really think your performance come down to 2h ride time that you had to cut.....there might be bigger issue . second. 3 week taper is totally appropriate. What i think GMAN might refer to his people that goes on taper start resting right from the start. Tapering mean a reduction in load (volume+intensity) progressively over 3 weeks leading up to the race. With most of my athlete, they do get SHOCK at how hard the first week of taper is....how much still need to be done. Well. it s a reduction from there big huge monster build week but not by much... taper dosnt mean holiday. Taper is simply a short word to explain the reduction of training load. of the 3 sport...running is the one that need the most reduction early on as recovery his longer....

Yes.  I should have made it clear I think too many triathletes put their training on complete cruise control way too early that they end up losing fitness.

2014-02-10 6:50 AM
    in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Veteran
    Northern Illinois
    Stick to your plan. If you have trained properly missing 2 hours out of one 6 hour ride is not going to make any difference.

2014-02-10 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
    Sun Prairie, WI
    I would stick with your plan, you know how your body responds to training and recovery. In the grand scheme of things 2 hours of total seat time isn't going to make any difference at this point, it is purely icing on the cake. All the base you have built up to this point are what is truly going to be the difference maker. Best of luck on your IM!
    2014-02-11 7:27 AM

User image

Champion
    MA

Either choice will not likely effect your race much. The consistent training you have done for weeks and months already is key. I have used 3 different coaches for my IMs.

First IM I tapered 3 weeks much to long, felt I lost fitness

Second IM I tapered about 10 days, very different experience,

Third/Fourth IM, I tapered differently for each sport, longest run, medium bike, and shortest swim...this method seemed to work best for me.

Trust yourself and enjoy this pre race time!

2014-02-12 1:41 AM
    in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
    Originally posted by jonnyo

Tapering mean a reduction in load (volume+intensity) progressively over 3 weeks leading up to the race. With most of my athlete, they do get SHOCK at how hard the first week of taper is....how much still need to be done. Well. it s a reduction from there big huge monster build week but not by much... taper dosnt mean holiday. Taper is simply a short word to explain the reduction of training load.

of the 3 sport...running is the one that need the most reduction early on as recovery his longer....

couldn't agree more with this bit - did my first IM distance last year and thought after the last big week - yeah taper time! got a bit shock the first 2 weeks of taper that it was still a good training week!! The 3 week progressive taper worked really well for me - felt great going into the race and was raring to go come race day.

In relation to the origional question - I think either way would be fine - it might just depend on how much you need it mentally as reassurance that your ready. Also might link to your projected time on the bike - if you think it will take you 5-6 hrs then I'd give it a miss, it you think it will take you 7hrs then I'd personally try to get it in. Like I said just my personal opinion!
    2014-02-20 1:59 AM
    in reply to: grahamclarke_6

Thank you all for your suggestions. I chose to follow my original training plan (4h). Getting excited as the race is approaching!!

Good luck everyone for your own training and perf goals!

Steph.
    2014-03-07 1:06 AM

So how did it go? Don't leave us hanging!

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help! Missed last long bike ride. Add one and shorten taper period? Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Missed my Long Bike

Started by Tri Fit
    Views: 2025 Posts: 14

2012-09-04 1:53 PM Tri Fit

Last long bike before IM

Started by TriBee
    Views: 2705 Posts: 15

2010-12-20 7:38 AM TriMyBest

100mi as last long ride for IM

Started by Plissken74
    Views: 1602 Posts: 7

2010-05-27 4:45 PM PennState

Missed Long Bike - What to do...

Started by Aikidoman
    Views: 1215 Posts: 13

2008-10-21 6:56 AM JoshKaptur

last long ride b4 an im?

Started by leo mc cabe
    Views: 1124 Posts: 4

2008-06-02 9:22 PM Blueraider_Mike
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 27, 2011
    author : Amy Kuitse
    comments : 0
    You may find your taper plan changing from week to week, based on how your body responds to the actual taper.

date : January 8, 2010
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 1
    I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
    date : December 15, 2008
    author : FitWerx
    I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : November 12, 2008
    author : AMSSM
    On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?
    date : September 8, 2007
    author : Coach AJ
    Discussions on racing in the heat, electrolytes, weightloss and long distance training, the best way to improve your run, taper psychology, the best gel and the benefits of a swim stroke analysis.

date : June 23, 2006
    author : Team BT
    One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
    date : March 5, 2006
    author : KevinKonczak
    Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : January 29, 2006
    author : Rich Strauss
    comments : 2
    The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.