General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Benefit of zone 2 running at low volume? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-08 9:48 PM

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Subject: Benefit of zone 2 running at low volume?
I've seen it said, here and elsewhere, that one of the best ways to improve in the run is lots of zone 2 efforts (easy pace): improved endurance, positive physiological changes, reduced risk of injury. Up to 80% of your mileage in z2 seems to be a pretty common recommendation. But I also see most of those comments in the context of high volume plans. So my question is whether those same benefits can be had if per-session running mileage is low?

While I can fit in workouts daily if I'm so inclined, between work, a long commute, and both a dog and a toddler at home, they tend to be short - usually 25 min or less. I know with that low volume I'll never be on the podium, and that's fine for now (plus I stick to sprints and 5k).

That said, I want to make the most of what training I do get, and I wonder whether there's any benefit to slow *short* runs, or if I'd be better off putting down the hammer and sticking to zone 4.

2014-02-09 6:24 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Benefit of zone 2 running at low volume?
25 minutes a day is 25 minutes more a day than nothing, of course it would be beneficial. I don't think it's the *best* plan to say spend 80% of your time at that level, just out of curiosity, where is your base at? If you feel you're really starting from scratch, that might be just fine. If you're a little more than a beginner, I'd advise mixing in some strides near the end of 3 or 4 of those runs, and if you're further along still, maybe even spend one of those 25 minute sessions doing some hills and intervals.
2014-02-09 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4946571

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Oh, I definitely didn't mean to imply it was a choice between 25 minutes or nothing. I'm already putting in the workouts, I just can't decide if I'm better off keeping all my runs at high intensity (say race pace) given how short they are, or keeping most of them slow. I go back and forth.

For base, I'd say moderate. 2014 will be my fifth year racing sprints, during which time I've dropped from maybe 14:00 pace to around 8:30. I couldn't run a 10k without falling over, but nor have I ever trained for one.
2014-02-09 8:36 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Yes, it's absolutely beneficial to put in the easy/steady miles, for whatever amount of time you're able to squeeze in. The same applies whether you're running 10-20 miles per week or 60-70 miles per week. An important part of run training is simply preparing your body to handle the impact, and the better it gets at that, the faster you will be able to run. Running too hard too often is a great recipe for getting injured.

If you're struggling to fit in training in all three events with the rest of your life, I'd recommend to use biking time for more intensity, use swim time to work on form, and use run time to simply squeeze in time on your feet. I'm training as a pure runner right now, which makes life simpler, but when I was combining all three, most of my running involved simply going out and running steady after my bike and/or swim workouts.
2014-02-09 6:45 PM

User image

New user
penticton
every miles count! i prefer to see a athlete goes out for 20min than not go at all. when you tag all those short run together... it does add up and can be significant.

That said, if you mileage is low...and your volume is low...you end up with a low training load and minimal adaptation/improvement

so..you have to play with those 2 variable ....low volume, you better run a little harder.

2014-02-09 7:05 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by jonnyo

That said, if you mileage is low...and your volume is low...you end up with a low training load and minimal adaptation/improvement

so..you have to play with those 2 variable ....low volume, you better run a little harder.

That could be a good way to get injured. By all means, go all out on the bike. But be very cautious on the run. Contrary to common belief, running success is not all about aerobic adaptations, and there's much useful adaptation to be had from simply running.

If you're in your 20s, and your body can take the abuse, then feel free to push it harder. But if you're like most of us, it is not advisable to use run intensity in an attempt to compensate for run volume.

2014-02-09 7:15 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

New user
penticton
i m not talking about common believe but proper physiology and science.

you are making assumption that are wrong and perhaps base on misunderstanding of training principal.

intensity in running can serve many purpose

-Speed work ( increase muscle specific strength, reduce chance of injury)
-tempo/strides, hill repeat (force someone to run with proper form, something that is often lost when running easy all the time. a very important element to avoid injury

it s all a mater of having a coach that understand those concept and know when to put intensity in and when to let the athlete recover. beginner to expert/pro, the only difference is what training load they can maintain..... you adapt in consequence of the athlete you work with.

but telling a new runner to avoid intensity completely is stupidity and stopping him from progressing much quicker. That is simple principal of training.

2014-02-09 7:33 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by jonnyo

but telling a new runner to avoid intensity completely is stupidity and stopping him from progressing much quicker. That is simple principal of training.

Thanks JonnyO, and I'm glad that you're posting on BT nowadays. But I stand by my stupid advice for newer and more experienced runners, especially those whose twenties are far behind them. Consistency is the key to improvement; not being injured is the key to consistency; and low-to-medium intensity running has many benefits with lower injury risks. Neurophysiological research hasn't yet figured out why it's so effective, but recent findings are making progress on that front.
2014-02-09 7:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
penticton
you are not stupid, you and me both know that. The claim would be stupid.

but what you say in your last post is exactly what i was telling you. You are just comfused with the terminology.

''and low-to-medium intensity running has many benefits with lower injury risks'' You see...now you are talking about intensity. and you quantifying as low or medium. That is intensity none the less...and you are comfortable with this. Sounds reasonable to me.

Now, lets take beginner triathlete X that is running 25 miles a week at z2 (lets call it 65% of max hr) 25miles X 65% intensity = training load

after a month, triathlete X become very time limited and can only do a few 25min runs and can only manage 15 miles a week. well, it is a safe bet that he can either take 1 of those session and put some intervals, or rise a few of those run to a lightly higher intensity (lets call it moderate 70%)

and we get 15 miles X 70% intensity = perhaps a training load very similar to the other weeks. we have lift intensity with this athlete without putting anymore stress on his body. when we quantify training load... it s not just a aerobic load...it also take into consideration the pounding, forces of impact etc.

so.... it s a matter of training load...someone doing less running than usual can lift the intensity in a structure and predetermined way to accomplish the same amount of work without any additional danger of injury. People should not be scare when we talk about doing intensity. it dosnt mean going crazy... it s simply mean playing with the variable.

it s a very simplistic explanation as increase in intensity isn't linear but it show very well the principal of training load.

And on a different note: my favortie session for any runners of any level... doing your z2 run and when you finish, 4 to 6 strides with walk in between. amazing for running form, strenght training...and absolutly impossble to hurt someone that way. But that is intensity....z5 ish....

Edited by jonnyo 2014-02-09 7:50 PM
2014-02-09 7:59 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
JonnyO, I would endorse this logic for cycling, where the tradeoff between training duration and training intensity is standard fare. But I would not endorse it for running, at least not among less experienced runners. For a runner who is starting from a substantial base and who is only briefly forced to squeeze the training into less time, I think that your strategy could work well. But most folks here who are eager to do more intense running do not fit that profile.
2014-02-09 8:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
penticton
you are puzuling me, i really tough i had made it simple. it simply not something you cant disagree on...unless you want to reinvent physiology and the principal of training that 1000s of coaches have use for the past 100 years?

i m not sure what your advising now.... to not run at all? because that is the only way to not do any intensity.

the minutes you start running...your doing some kind of intensity......even if you call it ''easy'' Do you consider that you will hurt people doing easy intensity 3 or 4 times a week? because it seems like that is what you advised earlier. At what level do you draw the line of easiness? when does it get dangerous? how do you define easy in the scale of intensity

or perhaps we should start talking training load

Edited by jonnyo 2014-02-09 8:18 PM

2014-02-09 9:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Have to agree with JonnyO here. Intense doesn't mean 100%, it simply means "not easy". If you're new to running, everything is going to feel like a 10 RPE for a while. Then it's a 9, 8, etc, then it's not. Then you redefine 10. More realistically, people just starting out have NO IDEA what 10 is. Nor the physiology to perform at that level. I'm a huge advocate of what's colloquially known as the Barry123 plan, or 'run often, mostly easy, sometimes hard', but it is "RUN" often, not trot or skip. If you want to run, you have to run. Yes, there is a lot of rewiring that needs to take place to make you into a runner. No, you don't achieve it walking or 'running' 12 minute miles.

I wonder, is this the divide between the beginnertriathlete world and slowtwitch? Does a BTer only want to finish, and not push themselves to find their limits? Isn't this triathlon??? Aren't there plenty of outlets for 'safe' sport? Like BryanCD's tag used to say here, 'Of course it's f**ing hard, it's triathlon!'. Injury isn't something you live in fear of, nor is a poor race, or any other learning experience. Yeah, it might hurt, it might suck, it might do a lot of things, and it also might not, and you might enjoy it. Yes, of course there is a safe way to do everything, but you, the athlete, the competitive SOB, you want the BEST and FASTEST way...so you're going to take some risks and you're gonna win sometimes with those risks and you're going to pay sometimes. We're talking about TRAINING...what is the worst that can happen? Shin splints? ITB hurts? Glutes feels like a knife is in it? Cmon, that's information....you try something, it doesn't work, you learn and adapt. That's training...learn, improve, adapt, rinse, repeat. How are going to possibly improve without finding the limits and pushing them out?
2014-02-09 9:39 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I had a very similar question lately but regarding z2 and biking.

The general consciousness seemed that with my low volume of biking 3Hrs a week I really needed to be working hard to get the most out of my time and see gains in power etc.

I think this is pretty true for running too. If you're at a low volume in definetly wouldn't recommend running sprints, intervals, and a 5k race pace all the time, but running at your "casual lat te da I could do this forever pace" won't seem to show many results.

I'd say the z2 is necessary but I'm much more a fan of pushing a bi harder IF IF IF your body can handle it on a tight schedule.
2014-02-09 10:17 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by fisherman76

Have to agree with JonnyO here. Intense doesn't mean 100%, it simply means "not easy". If you're new to running, everything is going to feel like a 10 RPE for a while. Then it's a 9, 8, etc, then it's not. Then you redefine 10. More realistically, people just starting out have NO IDEA what 10 is. Nor the physiology to perform at that level. I'm a huge advocate of what's colloquially known as the Barry123 plan, or 'run often, mostly easy, sometimes hard', but it is "RUN" often, not trot or skip. If you want to run, you have to run. Yes, there is a lot of rewiring that needs to take place to make you into a runner. No, you don't achieve it walking or 'running' 12 minute miles.

I wonder, is this the divide between the beginnertriathlete world and slowtwitch? Does a BTer only want to finish, and not push themselves to find their limits? Isn't this triathlon??? Aren't there plenty of outlets for 'safe' sport? Like BryanCD's tag used to say here, 'Of course it's f**ing hard, it's triathlon!'. Injury isn't something you live in fear of, nor is a poor race, or any other learning experience. Yeah, it might hurt, it might suck, it might do a lot of things, and it also might not, and you might enjoy it. Yes, of course there is a safe way to do everything, but you, the athlete, the competitive SOB, you want the BEST and FASTEST way...so you're going to take some risks and you're gonna win sometimes with those risks and you're going to pay sometimes. We're talking about TRAINING...what is the worst that can happen? Shin splints? ITB hurts? Glutes feels like a knife is in it? Cmon, that's information....you try something, it doesn't work, you learn and adapt. That's training...learn, improve, adapt, rinse, repeat. How are going to possibly improve without finding the limits and pushing them out?

I'm trying to bite my tongue, but I'm clearly failing here. I think that for many of us, injury certainly is something that we live in fear of, and that fear only grows as we get older and our bodies take longer to repair. I would count myself as a BTer who cares to do more than just finish, though I wouldn't look down on anybody for whom finishing is itself a victory. But more important than my finishing time is that I make it to the start line, and that I get to enjoy the good health and karma that the training brings me. I'm sure that many of us have experienced the fear that some injury will spell the end of our days as a runner or triathlete. I sure know that I've been there many times before. One of the things that I've learned from BTers over the past few years is that in running the risks go up sharply with intensity ... and just as importantly that it's possible to run surprisingly well while severely limiting intensity in training. (Neither of these seem to be true for cycling.)

I also take issue with the suggestion that for beginning runners it is sure to feel like an intense effort, and that slow running won't turn the beginner into a runner. The shift from walking and/or cycling to running, even at a very slow pace, entails a substantial extra load on the body, and a large training effect can come from running at intensities that feel rather easy aerobically. I'm watching this happen right now with my wife, who at age 49 is a beginner runner. She's running quite slowly, and she reports that it feels too easy (she had been doing a lot of uphill walking prior to this), but she's also very clearly feeling the strain that it's putting on all those joints and muscles that have not been stressed before.
2014-02-10 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was reading your comments and Jonathan's, both people who's opinion I respect

Then I ran into this picture

IMO, introducing some faster pace once a week, VERY GRADUALLY is beneficial.
Not necessarily mile repeats, but a gradual build of tempo or stead state running, start with 10min after a w/u. Week over week slowly increase the duration. Go from SS to Tempo (in McMillan terms).
Do a W/U, 10min SS, C/D...next week increase the SS duration a bit.....do this week over week. When you feel you are doing well, remain injury free, try a slighly faster Tempo (again Mcmillan terms, we don't all use the same lingo)

Go to the Mcmillan calculator, enter a race, get paces for these two terms. SLOWLY introduce into one run a week and build from there
NO WAY you should do all your runs at Z4, but all slow is not the long term answer if you cannot add volume or frequency due to other time commitments

Listen to your body, listen for signs of potential injury.

Factors :
How long have you been running at your current volume/frequency ?
Are you injury prone ?
Are you heavy ?
Do you feel you are improving under your current regimen ?
2014-02-10 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
I think the correct answer is ... tada: It depends

If you're training for endurance, then z2 is a fundamental part of training. Training in z2 improves your fat burning metabolism which you need in endurance races where glycose becomes depleted. This is certainly important for half and whole marathons.

Training in z3-4 improves your cardio-vascular system and fitness, improving your aerobic range and allow you to perform at higher intensity over a longer period of time. This is essential for optimal performance on shorter distances.

5K is by some considered the shortest endurance distance, but some will dispute that. I don't know your 5K time, but I think that for 5K races you will not improve your performance significantly by running 80% in z2.

2014-02-10 9:31 AM

I'm much more with Colin on this one, as I've definitely inadvertently strained things (fortunately minor, but still an issue) while reintroducing speedwork into my regimen, even while done carefully. Adding speed on low mileage is always a somewhat risky proposition and should definitely be approached with care - even a mild strain will set your training back at least a week off and then a week to bounce back, and that's minimum. 

As an aside, I used to be of the camp 'you can't get injured on the bike', but I managed to somehow do it this season - while doing all indoor trainer rides. I re-introduced hard intervals (sufferfest Revolver and similar) to my regimen, and thought I was ready for it having done 6 hrs per week of solid base training, with TSS500s and intensity mostly 80-85% threshold on average, and hardest efforts to threshold. Turns out those 1' hard intervals were too much - I actually strained my hamstring and required 10 days completely off. I'm sure it wasn't from running either - had not yet even started increasing running volume/distance, and that was steady for 2 months prior. In the future I'd be more careful about launching into 130+% anaerobic/VO2 intervals intensity with a full out 15 x 1 session and at least start doing smaller numbers of them in weeks before. 

That bike injury was actually the only strain I've gotten in the last 2 years, so I was surprised it happened on the bike.

2014-02-10 9:58 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by erik.norgaard I think the correct answer is ... tada: It depends If you're training for endurance, then z2 is a fundamental part of training. Training in z2 improves your fat burning metabolism which you need in endurance races where glycose becomes depleted. This is certainly important for half and whole marathons. Training in z3-4 improves your cardio-vascular system and fitness, improving your aerobic range and allow you to perform at higher intensity over a longer period of time. This is essential for optimal performance on shorter distances. 5K is by some considered the shortest endurance distance, but some will dispute that. I don't know your 5K time, but I think that for 5K races you will not improve your performance significantly by running 80% in z2.

Wrong. dropped my 5k time by 2 minutes last year doing 80%+ zone 2.

Most of your miles most of the year, no matter your level should be zone 1-2. The better base you have, the more intense work you are able to do. Trying to make up for volume with intensity, at the levels we have been discussing, is like trying to build the top floor of a house with a cracked foundation. You can do it, but it is very dangerous and you end up with a crappy house.

2014-02-10 10:33 AM

User image

New user
penticton
Originally posted by erik.norgaard

I think the correct answer is ... tada: It depends

If you're training for endurance, then z2 is a fundamental part of training. Training in z2 improves your fat burning metabolism which you need in endurance races where glycose becomes depleted. This is certainly important for half and whole marathons.

Training in z3-4 improves your cardio-vascular system and fitness, improving your aerobic range and allow you to perform at higher intensity over a longer period of time. This is essential for optimal performance on shorter distances.

5K is by some considered the shortest endurance distance, but some will dispute that. I don't know your 5K time, but I think that for 5K races you will not improve your performance significantly by running 80% in z2.

Erik, You open another can of worm. Doing z2 doest make you ''more efficient'' at burning fat. Those are wrong myth propagated by bad coaches for so many years. we need to put a end to this and teach the proper concept. Your body is amazingly good at burning fat.

The lower the intensity, the higher the contribution of fat to power the aerobic system. as intensity rise, so the % of contribution coming from glycogen. the fitter you get aerobically, the faster your pace will be at z2.....so yes...you end up running faster than before while consuming the same % of fat. That s how improvement happen and not the other way around.

But that you train in Z1 2 3 4, it all go into developing your aerobic system.

2014-02-10 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by erik.norgaard I think the correct answer is ... tada: It depends

Yep. 

I think we all come at this issue based on our own experience and perspective.  No black or white answers, but lots of shades of gray. 

I'm a 60 year old BOP runner with some chronic overuse injuries.   I'm certainly no speed demon, but I have realized some significant improvement with my running over the last couple of years by:

Increasing my overall volume by increasing my frequency rather than average length of run. 

Adding some tempo during my recovery weeks ( I recover better from shorter high-intensity runs, as opposed to long low-intensity runs).  FWIW, I use the McMillan calculator to determine my training paces.

Doing more 5K races as my "speed" work. If nothing else, doing some fast (for me) 5K's has helped my confidence level quite a bit. 

As I've increased my volume I've had fewer injury problems.  Not sure if there is a 100% correlation, but I do think is is a factor.

I've got degenerative Achilles tendinosis in both heels, so I'm very adverse to attempting any track work.  My orthopedic surgeon has specifically told me to avoid sudden starts, stops or changes of direction with my running.  For that matter, I also use a Galloway run/walk on any of my long training runs to control the discomfort and swelling. 

At my age and with my history, training & racing has become a balancing act between, volume, intensity, & recovery.  If I was an indestructable 25 years old again, I'd likely have a much different perspective... 

Mark

2014-02-10 11:03 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

New user
penticton
good post.

what i see is a lot of people ''scare'' of getting injured. To me, it point out that they most have done a few of training mistake in the past as it s relatively difficult to injury someone when you know what you are doing and play with training load smartly and progressively.

Case study: one athlete started to work with me at age 48. He had is share of injury in the past, with a lot of issue with lower legs, and poor running form. He had also done a fair share of slow running and would still find ways to get injured.

My first goal was to re instead consistency and sort out his different injury. I told him i needed a few years of been committed to the program to really realize big improvement.

when you have a runner with poor form, Drill will never do much to correct there issue. You need to teach new pattern. From week 1, hill repeat, low impact...demanding aerobically but very easy on the legs when done on soft surface and proper incline. You force the runner to have perfect form(no choice, your going up hill) you introduce very slowly tempo work that once again is amazing at developed specific strength, nice tall running form.

Results: ''miracle'' , he isn't injured anymore. He wasn't doing much ''hard work'' but he was doing some. he was supervise daily and we would track closely the training load and recovery.

3 years later...as he got older..... he went on to break is ironman PR every single year even going under 10h at 50 year old.

Injury happen when you pass the point at what your body is able to adapt to a new stress. My job is to work with proper training load so those athlete dont pass this tipping point. And you get speed work, hills, tempo, slow easy session, recovery is all part of my bag of tools to make this happen.

To think easy running is all you should do is like thinking a doctor only as Asperin in his bag to treat all the disease of the world.

2014-02-10 11:57 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-02-10 12:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Jonnyo,What % grade would you suggest for the hill running to reinforce good form? I would like to introduce some of this on the treadmill.Thanks
Originally posted by jonnyogood post. what i see is a lot of people ''scare'' of getting injured. To me, it point out that they most have done a few of training mistake in the past as it s relatively difficult to injury someone when you know what you are doing and play with training load smartly and progressively. Case study: one athlete started to work with me at age 48. He had is share of injury in the past, with a lot of issue with lower legs, and poor running form. He had also done a fair share of slow running and would still find ways to get injured. My first goal was to re instead consistency and sort out his different injury. I told him i needed a few years of been committed to the program to really realize big improvement. when you have a runner with poor form, Drill will never do much to correct there issue. You need to teach new pattern. From week 1, hill repeat, low impact...demanding aerobically but very easy on the legs when done on soft surface and proper incline. You force the runner to have perfect form(no choice, your going up hill) you introduce very slowly tempo work that once again is amazing at developed specific strength, nice tall running form. Results: ''miracle'' , he isn't injured anymore. He wasn't doing much ''hard work'' but he was doing some. he was supervise daily and we would track closely the training load and recovery. 3 years later...as he got older..... he went on to break is ironman PR every single year even going under 10h at 50 year old.Injury happen when you pass the point at what your body is able to adapt to a new stress. My job is to work with proper training load so those athlete dont pass this tipping point. And you get speed work, hills, tempo, slow easy session, recovery is all part of my bag of tools to make this happen. To think easy running is all you should do is like thinking a doctor only as Asperin in his bag to treat all the disease of the world.
2014-02-10 12:20 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

Pro

"fast" is relative.....but you can't truly run fast if you don't do some fast training.  That 2 or 3 minutes you take off your 5K by running nothing but z2 is just the tip of the iceberg....and I would argue that it may be faster then you've ever ran, but it's not what you are capable of.  Yes, how much depends on age, experience, goals, etc.....but fast running comes from running fast.

2014-02-10 12:29 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

"fast" is relative.....but you can't truly run fast if you don't do some fast training.  That 2 or 3 minutes you take off your 5K by running nothing but z2 is just the tip of the iceberg....and I would argue that it may be faster then you've ever ran, but it's not what you are capable of.  Yes, how much depends on age, experience, goals, etc.....but fast running comes from running fast.

you do have to do some fast running, but 80% easier running and 20% fast running may be enough, especially if you don't yet have the volume to support it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Benefit of zone 2 running at low volume? Rss Feed  

of 2