General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone Done the San Antonio Half Mary? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-05 8:11 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: Anyone Done the San Antonio Half Mary?

Hey TX BTers,

While my body is currently unable to train due to a bum hip, I need to keep my mind in training mode.  My plan is to do a half mary this fall, and then the Houston 1/2 mary, as part of my train-up for IMAZ.  I'm looking at San Antonio as my fall race.  Has anyone done this one, and if so, how was it?  Good crowd support?  Organization?  Decent course??

Thanks in advance for the input. 

2006-08-08 10:43 AM
in reply to: #502955

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Anyone Done the San Antonio Half Mary?
I was thinking about doing this one as my first mary. But looking at the reviews on MarathonGuide.com and looking at the course map, it didn't sound like a good race. The course had loops within loops of loops. Looked very confusing. The reviews from people who did it were also pretty negative. Emailed the RD who said they were looking to revamp it for this year. Decided to do Tulsa instead. Crazily, it's closer than SA anyway.
2006-08-09 4:46 PM

User image

San Antonio
This years course is totally different. Last year was a pian, you are right, tons of loops. This year it is a simple out and back. It starts at the Alamo and ends at teh Alamo Dome, 50yd line to that matter.

one thing I like is that is is FLAT!!!

I am already signed up
2006-08-11 12:41 PM

User image

New user

Baytown,Texas
I did the SA Half last year as a warm up to HOuston Marathon and I was very disappointed. The course was a couple of loops around the sports dome then one loop out and back. There was little to no crowd support. You only cross the timing mat at the beginning and end (although there are a couple of spots where I think there should have been mats-trust me I was very tempted to cheat and cross the street, but didn't because I didn't want to be a DNF. So I trudged the 4 miles to the turn around point and there wan not even a timing mat there ). Another thing I did not like is that there wasn't anyone calling out times and/or pacing. Race morning after having to pay $10 to get into the dome parking, my husband dropped me off and was going to meet me at mile 10. But they would not let him of the parking lot (and it was still an hour still the start).

On the positive side, the shirts are cute. They are not the normal white or gray. These are maroon, navy or green-depending on your race. And the expo is pretty good. They have a good amount of vendors.

I personally need to see some major improvements before I would go back to SA to do this race.

Barb
2006-08-30 1:46 PM

User image

New user

San Antonio, TX
I am pretty sure that I will do the Half, maybe the full.
It is going to be way different and way better than last year.
I encourage anyone who is thinking about it to go for it; it will be a great race (as long as the weather cools off).
2006-08-30 3:02 PM

User image

Dallas
I'll be running the full. I had my *personal worst* at SA marathon back in 2000 (the old course going thru. Ft Sam Houston) Gonna erase that this time ;) The Mission Rd to the south looks pretty cool.

Q for the SA residents:
Would be great if I can just run to the start of the race from one of those hotels nearby. But they are all over $100/night. You guys recommend any (less expensive) hotels that are within a few blocks of the Alamo?

(During my recent visit to SA, I parked at one of the garages near by the River walk and just took a *walking tour* to the Alamo 'cause it's very unlikely to find a lot near it.)

Thanks.
-charles

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone Done the San Antonio Half Mary? Rss Feed