General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Endurance" v. "Race" Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-11 8:29 AM

User image

DC
Subject: "Endurance" v. "Race" Bike
I'm not in the market... just curious about people's thoughts as I came across an "endurance bike" add in Bicycling Mag & have been advising a friend on a new bike purchase.

So what's the deal? Is this just marketing hype where you can get a bigger-size race bike & have the more relaxed feel of an endurance bike or vice/versa? I actually rode the Fuji "Grand Fondo" (endurance geometry) but stuck w/their Altamira ("race bike" in the same line as the Cannondale SuperSix). I can say that the latter is far more responsive--presumably b/c of the tighter wheel base--and w/the GF, I could not get as low as I could w/the Altamira as when bombing downhill (30+ MPH). This, despite removing all the head spacers. Both rides were properly fitted to me.

If the geometry difference isn't just media hype, I'm advocating for a race bike (properly fitted of course) since he's young & will get a better core work-out since he won't be upright all the time.

Edited by Porfirio 2014-02-11 8:36 AM

2014-02-11 8:44 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: "Endurance" v. "Race" Bike

I think your "endurance" bike is a touring frame.  Probably not quite as stiff, less toe overlap on the front wheel (not as good at cornering), and probably more comfortable. 

2014-02-11 8:52 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

DC
Originally posted by dmiller5

I think your "endurance" bike is a touring frame.  Probably not quite as stiff, less toe overlap on the front wheel (not as good at cornering), and probably more comfortable. 

Thanks. If it was a "touring" bike, then the answer would be easy. But I have noted, as of recent, that these endurance bikes are a whole different breed of rides. You're right on comfort/cornering compromise, but these rides are otherwise as stiff as a more traditional race bikes you see in the Tours.

Typing this makes me wonder about this new endurance bike "culture" that wants to go fast but comfortably so. I.e., willing to compromise on some speed to spare the backs. If this is true, I think everyone should build-up their core strength rather than ignore it.
2014-02-11 10:12 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by dmiller5

I'm not so sure it's close to a touring bike. I think the "endurance" line is to appeal to century riders that want a slightly less aggressive position to be more comfortable on long rides versus some bikes that "seem" to appeal only to crit racers. A touring bike is a different ride all together.
2014-02-11 10:46 AM

New user
Originally posted by Porfirio
Typing this makes me wonder about this new endurance bike "culture" that wants to go fast but comfortably so. I.e., willing to compromise on some speed to spare the backs. If this is true, I think everyone should build-up their core strength rather than ignore it.

My back much prefers the "endurance" bikes, though much of that difference can be made up simply by flipping the stem up rather than down.

One other difference in endurance bikes is that the rear will have some curvature or mechanism to reduce road vibration.
2014-02-11 11:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

An endurance frame has a less aggressive geometry. Look at a specialized Roubaix vs a Tarmac for example.  The Roubaix while still a rocket and will take some of the road vibrations and absorb them into the frame . In a Tarmac for example you will feel every bump on the road.

Edited by jhouse4 2014-02-11 11:22 AM

2014-02-11 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

usually the difference is in the feedback you get from the road.  the "endurance" bikes aren't as stiff and result in a more comfortable ride over 80-100 miles.  a good comparison of this would be the Scott Foil vs the CR1

2014-02-11 12:07 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

DC
Originally posted by Clempson

usually the difference is in the feedback you get from the road.  the "endurance" bikes aren't as stiff and result in a more comfortable ride over 80-100 miles.  a good comparison of this would be the Scott Foil vs the CR1

Cool. Would you (anyone else?) agree that w/proper training, any bike can be a comfy ride? My tri bike is REALLY stiff but w/logging miles & miles, I don't feel the jarring I did when I first started riding it.
2014-02-11 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

i think it's more personal preference than proper training.  you don't feel the feedback as much because you are accustomed to it now.

2014-02-11 1:48 PM

User image

If you're not going to get into crit or road racing, an endurance bike will likely be fine for most recreational and fitness minded riders.  There's probably a small difference in how an endurance bike may respond when ripping through a corner at speeds close to 30 mph, or how it responds when you jump out of the saddle at 1000+ watts...but how important is that small difference to you on a training ride?  In a race...sure, but I gather most people considering an endurance bike are not doing that kind of racing...otherwise they would only be looking at road race type bikes.

And FWIW, the high end endurance bikes are indeed raced at the highest level.  Just on courses where it is more appropriate like Paris-Roubaix or stages with significant cobbles.

2014-02-12 5:57 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
So let's look at the differences… Endurance bike tends to have taller head tube, slacker head tube angle and longer wheel base. May times, the carbon layup will be slightly different as well. What this means is that more people can ride the bike with no spacers or very few spacers under the stem, which will yield additional front end stability. The slacker head tube angle and longer wheel base will add to stability.

Flipping the stem is not the same as changing the geometry… so no, that doesn't achieve the same thing. Better than a bunch of spacers, yes, but the frame geometry doesn't change.

Going to a bigger frame size is not a good idea at all… the risk is that you through your entire fit out of whack. Position over BB will change, reach will change, stack will change… in essence, the balance of the bike will more than likely be compromised.

Shorter wheel base will result in a bike that feels snappier, and more nimble. Racing, especially crits or technical courses, this is a big benefit. Also, shorter rear triangle tend to be slightly stiffer, something that sprinters will appreciate as well as climbers.

The bike technology change that endurance frames has introduced makes a lot of sense to most casual riders. BUT, that doesn't mean that it's the perfect bike for everyone. Bike fit still rules. Higher flexibility and core strength, combined with certain body traits (measurements) will more than likely feel completely wrong on an endurance frame. A person with longer upper body (especially longer arms), less flexibility, and not interested in crits, endurance frames may be a perfect alternative.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Endurance" v. "Race" Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Endurance Race Insurance

Started by mscott203
Views: 600 Posts: 4

2012-03-03 11:04 AM KathyG

Iron (not the race) & endurance

Started by RVachon
Views: 823 Posts: 8

2011-12-02 5:11 PM kilgoretrout

Tell us your non endurance plans outside of racing / sanctioned events Pages: 1 2

Started by furiousferret
Views: 2113 Posts: 31

2010-08-14 7:04 AM monkeyboy64

Endurance Event Training - 350+ Mile Consecutive Bike Race

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1194 Posts: 6

2008-09-24 9:44 AM KSH

Endurance Race/Trail Running ?

Started by TriathletePT
Views: 835 Posts: 2

2008-09-12 9:50 PM grit_nugget
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : April 13, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 3
Every year thousands of triathletes spend excessive amounts of time and money on training, only to show up to the biggest race of the season with little to no plan.
date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.

date : November 20, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
While carbo-loading sounds simple (just stuff yourself with pasta, right?), the truth is that many endurance athletes make food mistakes that hurt their performance.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.
date : February 28, 2005
author : AMSSM
It is difficult to replace water losses during exercise. The following principles will help prevent dehydration during endurance training and racing.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
“Less is more,” is a common buzz phrase in endurance sports today. It refers to the trend of training less but focusing on intensity and quality rather than on quantity.