Out Loud Productions
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 17s
Overall Rank = 189/335
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 17/23
Pre-race routine:

Like for many, it's the first race of the new season. I signed up, because it is was relatively close to wear, I live, and I wanted to get some data on what my race paces are.

The 8am start let me sleep in a little bit more than typical races. I woke up ate a couple honey stinger waffles, drank some OJ and left. I also drank Gatorade. I got to the park at 7am (transition opened at 6:45am and closed at 7:45am), but it was already about half full. With no swim, setting up transition was very fast.
Event warmup:

Walked around chatting with friendly faces that I haven't seen since last season. I also did about 5 minutes of jogging.
Run
  • 15m 48s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I was having trouble deciding how hard to push on the first run. While obviously, I can't be gasping for air at transition, I figured I could push above my LT threshold (184) and "recover" a little on the bike. With all the fast runners out there, it is also easy to get caught up in the moment.
What would you do differently?:

Probably slow down on the first run a bit, but I wonder if my total time would have been less.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

I lost a few seconds fiddling with deciding whether to wear sunglasses for the bike. (It was cloudy)

Plan out the little things and stick to it.
Bike
  • 50m 7s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Since it is a multi-lap course with a wide range of cycling ability, I felt like I was always passing someone or was being passed.

There are also a decent amount of kids out there and some can't hold a line, so it is always nerve-wracking to pass someone weaving. There was also an adult who kept weaving, who was fiddling with his bike computer.

Focus more and be more consistent. I would be alone for a period and drift off into la-la land and my HR would drop to the high 160s. Then someone would pass I would be jolted back into reality, push hard to make up ground.

I also probably pushed to hard at the end (there were people passing and I got competitive). I have to remember to race my own race and not worry about who is passing me.

Hit the turns a little more aggressively. It wasn't raining but it was misty.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Run
  • 17m 42s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were hurting coming off the bike. I practiced some bricks, but when you don't go all-out on the bike as is the case in training, the brick run doesn't feel that bad.

I was huffing and puffing, but couldn't keep my heart rate up or go any faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Collasped on ground to catch breathe. Ate some food and chatted with folks I knew.

Today, I'm paying for not getting a massage (which were available but had lines) or doing some proper stretching afterwards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of a swim. Lack of a tri-bike. Being a crap cyclist.

Event comments:

It's a small race, but it has a lot of fast racers, so check your ego at the door. I liked the fact that it was closer to Houston than most races that are in the 'burbs.

Given it is flat, and it doesn't have a swim, the race also attracts some beginners. If you are a beginner, make sure you are comfortable on the bike, as lot of people will be passing you (it's a three lap course).

Outloud's races are well run, but have less frills than OnUrMark... although they cost about $20 less. For example, there are no finishers medals. Frills are less important to the seasoned veteran, but may be important to someone doing a race for the first time.

Last updated: 2014-02-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:48 | 02 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/23
Overall: 190/335
Performance: Good
Average HR = 183, but average for 2nd mile was 190
Course: A flat out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:50:07 | 15 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/23
Overall: 179/335
Performance: Average
Average of 175 (my Lactate threshold), but it ranged from 164-185
Wind: Little
Course: A flat three loop course, with eight 90-degree turns per loop. With all the turns, expect a slower time.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:42 | 02 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/23
Overall: 231/335
Performance: Below average
Average HR = 181, and only could muster over 183 in the last mile.
Course: Same as the first run
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-02-11 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: Du the Polar Bear

2014-02-11 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4947777

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Du the Polar Bear
Good job Chris!!

Kinda Lazy to do the Du

Your run is Amazing, The Bike i would say your expectations is just right.The roadways are not exactly ideal to redline

More Sprints coming up man your up to a good start

see you around

Cheers!!
2014-02-12 9:51 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Du the Polar Bear
Thanks! This is the first time I broke 8 min/mile running in a race so I was defiinitely happy about that. Now I want to do a standalone 5k to get a new PR.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Du the Polar Bear Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Du the Polar Bear

Started by Maniton
Views: 702 Posts: 2

2013-02-16 1:04 PM EV3110

Du the Polar Bear

Started by pstephan
Views: 812 Posts: 2

2012-02-27 1:56 PM NewClydesdale

Du the Polar Bear

Started by robin3_21
Views: 624 Posts: 1

2012-02-26 9:21 PM robin3_21

Du the Polar Bear

Started by g_shotts
Views: 841 Posts: 1

2012-02-26 4:59 PM g_shotts

Du the Polar Bear

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 979 Posts: 3

2012-02-27 2:36 PM uhcoog
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : December 11, 2012
author : NewClydesdale
The Polar RCX5 is a robust multi-sport watch with a sleek, comfortable profile. With the right accessories the RCX5 can provide you with heartrate, speed, cadence and GPS data.
date : September 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Maintaining bone health throughout the lifespan should be a priority for all athletes, starting as youngsters and continuing as master's athletes.

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 27, 2004
author : dwilliams
What? This isn't a duathlon?
date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 1
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.