Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Go meet a BT'er today! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-11 11:36 PM

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: Go meet a BT'er today!

My family returned last night from an outstanding trip to Vietnam.   If you ever have the chance to visit this amazing and beautiful country, I HIGHLY recommend you take the opportunity. 

Of course, as a BT'er, I am aware that the combined knowledge of the universe resides completely, and totally, with our members.  There is no subject, opinion, area of expertise, field of study, etc in which BT does not have have a resident expert.   Armed with this considerable arsenal,  I sent a note to HotRunner, our resident Vietnam expert, asking some opinions about Vietnam and things to do or see.

In true BT style, she replied with a thorough and thoughtful missive about things to do or see, and things to avoid and watch out for while travelling in the country.   She even gave her cell phone and home phone so that we could call if we had any trouble. 

Well, partly because of her great advice, we did NOT have any trouble, but we DID give her a call.  We spent a nice afternoon chatting over ice cream and coffee at a great place we never would have found without her tip.  

In addition, we both got to meet our first BT'er "in real life" and the experience was just fantastic.

So, based on my n=1 experience... go meet a BT'er today.   We're all fabulous people.   

And publicly:  "Thanks Karen" for being so gracious with your time!

2014-02-12 7:06 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Go meet a BT'er today!

i've met a handful of BTers and have loved my time with each and every one of them.

except mr2tony.  that guy's a douche.

2014-02-12 7:45 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Geez.....Thanks!

Anyone else who wants to come visit Vietnam, you're always welcome to get in touch! I even have a guest room that can accommodate a couple if you're stuck for accommodation (if you can deal with two crazy cats and their owner). It was also my first time to meet a BT'er in person--Yanti and I have tried to get together twice--once when I went to Bali on break; once at a race here, but both times family issues ruined our plans. Also have tried to connect with some of the Singapore athletes but they always fail to spy me at races--apparently in my black trisuit I'm really good at being incognito. Would love to have the chance to meet more people overseas or in the US.
2014-02-12 8:16 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Originally posted by mehaner

i've met a handful of BTers and have loved my time with each and every one of them.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

2014-02-12 8:47 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by moondawg14

My family returned last night from an outstanding trip to Vietnam.   If you ever have the chance to visit this amazing and beautiful country, I HIGHLY recommend you take the opportunity. 

Of course, as a BT'er, I am aware that the combined knowledge of the universe resides completely, and totally, with our members.  There is no subject, opinion, area of expertise, field of study, etc in which BT does not have have a resident expert.   Armed with this considerable arsenal,  I sent a note to HotRunner, our resident Vietnam expert, asking some opinions about Vietnam and things to do or see.

In true BT style, she replied with a thorough and thoughtful missive about things to do or see, and things to avoid and watch out for while travelling in the country.   She even gave her cell phone and home phone so that we could call if we had any trouble. 

Well, partly because of her great advice, we did NOT have any trouble, but we DID give her a call.  We spent a nice afternoon chatting over ice cream and coffee at a great place we never would have found without her tip.  

In addition, we both got to meet our first BT'er "in real life" and the experience was just fantastic.

So, based on my n=1 experience... go meet a BT'er today.   We're all fabulous people.   

And publicly:  "Thanks Karen" for being so gracious with your time!

What a great story!!!!  I love every BTer I've met that has been across the country (hi Karen, Hi Abbie, Hi Sue)

2014-02-12 9:19 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Hot Runner Geez.....Thanks! Anyone else who wants to come visit Vietnam, you're always welcome to get in touch! I even have a guest room that can accommodate a couple if you're stuck for accommodation (if you can deal with two crazy cats and their owner). It was also my first time to meet a BT'er in person--Yanti and I have tried to get together twice--once when I went to Bali on break; once at a race here, but both times family issues ruined our plans. Also have tried to connect with some of the Singapore athletes but they always fail to spy me at races--apparently in my black trisuit I'm really good at being incognito. Would love to have the chance to meet more people overseas or in the US.

I am insanely jealous--of both of you!

And we WILL meet. We will!

2014-02-12 9:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by bradleyd3
Originally posted by mehaner

You took the words right out of my mouth.

oh nevermind!

Edited by jford2309 2014-02-12 9:46 AM
2014-02-12 10:04 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I agree! 

I've met 30 or so BT'ers IRL and each has been a positive experience for me. 

2014-02-12 11:08 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Agree! I've met so many BTers...  some have even turned into super friendships and cross-country road trip/race buddies! 

Would love to see "us" get back to the days where some of the major races had big BT get-togethers. Thinking specifically of Longhorn 70.3 and the tent we had set up on the run course - lots of smoked meats and beers were enjoyed that day - we had BT logo cowbells and posters - such a great time with great people.

2014-02-12 12:13 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Pro

Originally posted by McFuzz

I agree! 

I've met 30 or so BT'ers IRL and each has been a positive experience for me. 

Ditto, been camping and training with some at Lake Placid, an had a bunch over my house for the Philly Marathon. All great times, except for one unnamed person puking after finishing the marathon. I will give him credit for finishing his beer afterwards.

2014-02-12 12:17 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Same here!   I'd love to see more big BT get togethers at races - having a big group of people at IMAZ in 2012 was a TON of fun.  Really though, every time I've been able to meet a BTer, it's been a great experience.

I even married the douche.  

2014-02-15 1:57 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
I've gotten to meet many BT'ers over the years and still keep in touch with several on a regular basis. I will never forget when we went to Dallas for a race back in 07 (probably?) and stayed with DerekL and wife Laurie, Haley (Comet) and many others. Had dinner with about a dozen of us. Great times had by all. At the time it didn't seem weird at all that we were going to race 5 hours away and spending the night at someone's house that we had never met. We didn't think twice about it and it worked out great!
2014-02-15 11:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
I think you, HotRunner, and Yanti are the only BTers I'll ever be able meet, and I'd LOVE it! I know there's a race out there that I should do. Knowing you have a guest rooms makes it seem more doable.

Edited by Blanda 2014-02-15 11:47 PM
2014-02-16 7:20 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
RE Events in Vietnam

Laguna Lang Co Tri is coming up at the end of March. ("International Distance" tri (1800m swim, 62 km bike, 12 km run) and duathlon (6-62-12), plus a 60+ km bike event the following day.) I'm registered for the tri. It's north of here, near Danang (30 minute flight away), but you're certainly welcome to hang out here before/after. Not much notice for this year, but I'll also be here next year. After that, really, really hoping to move on!

We have very few races in Saigon itself, mostly low-key charity run-walks. The local running scene is just starting to take off. A local organization started a 5K and 10K road race last year in December and plans to add a HM for next year, but their first try was pretty rough--not sure I'd recommend it yet. Another group is putting on a HM, 10K, and 5K in an outlying district of the city in early March--another first-year race.

There are also some adventure races in a couple of the national parks within 3-5 hours' drive--most are for pairs or teams. You can find out more on the VietAdventure website. They also sponsor an X-Terra type tri at Mui Ne in May. Again, not sure I'd recommend these--some colleagues rave about them, but those I've done have seemed (to me) quite cavalier about route marking and safety. I've only done two such events, and maybe I'm just used to more controlled road run and tri events, esp. as I mainly race in Singapore. I know you (Blanda) do a lot of mountain biking and X-terra so you might have a better comfort (and definitely much better skill) level with this stuff than I do.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Go meet a BT'er today! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I met Chris Horner today

Started by nscrbug
Views: 676 Posts: 4

2009-07-25 7:51 PM nscrbug

Wife going in for spinal fusion today Pages: 1 2

Started by briderdt
Views: 1237 Posts: 26

2008-03-11 8:15 AM houston-tri-mama

Hair today, gone tomorrow -- mullet no more!

Started by briderdt
Views: 775 Posts: 10

2007-11-05 12:22 PM 1stTimeTri

Going to Monterey and San Fran today

Started by golfinggods
Views: 742 Posts: 7

2005-10-31 8:28 PM Denise2003

going to borders today!

Started by Ron
Views: 1038 Posts: 9

2003-11-25 10:18 AM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : November 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Do I swim an extra 1000 yards or show up on time to my son’s soccer game? Those small decisions become larger components in this emo/physio battle of decision and will. "Should I go pro?"
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : February 10, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
The backstory of becoming a pro, joining a team and working with sponsors
date : March 9, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
"I'm 'good' at breakfast and lunch, but after I get home from the gym at night, I end up devouring everything in sight. On weekends, my eating is even crazier." Sound familiar?

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.
date : September 22, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
A special tribute to a very special BT'er. We miss you. Thanks for continuing to inspire us.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."