General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run training question - Zone 2 vs. getting faster Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-02-15 12:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Run training question - Zone 2 vs. getting faster

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I don't really want to quote the whole thing again, but I'll just say that there are different types of speed work, all with different purposes. If your workout only has 7 minutes of fast running (perhaps 1 minute fast, 2 min recovery x 7) then it's likely some form of strides which is great for running form/turnover training/etc. but not usually enough on their own to stimulate an increase in speed response. You also need to be doing the stamina workouts (tempo, lactate threshold, etc.) and VO2max workouts (which are longer intervals of around 3-4 minutes each). ANY of these workouts can be injury-inducing if done with too high frequency, so it's incorrect to say that 7 minutes at high intensity is less damaging than 20-30 minutes of tempo. It's all about balance and the RIGHT type of stimulation.

No, not strides......go back and look at the intervals of the workout I posted.  And your comment about "not enough to stimulate an increase in speed response" is just not understanding what the work does.  You also don't give credit to the VO2max workouts that can come from swimming and biking that absolutely do stress those systems with MUCH less stress on the legs.  The longer run intervals come as the season gets closer, but the speed work from what is being done now carries into those and allows for faster work.(but almost none will come close to 3-4 minutes, they will all be 400's and 800's on 60-70 seconds and 2:05-2:15......but those times can ne adjusted for running level)  The coaches working with him look at the whole picture.....it IS triathlon, and although the disciplines are different, the idea is to build a very fast race, and there are definite crossover benefits when building that race.  And the idea that the same principles can't apply to slower runners is just flat wrong.

I understand completely that there are many people who don't have an interest in this kind of work and can't see an application in it for their own training.....but there are plenty who are interested and can benefit from it.  My only beef is with folks who think there is only one way to get fast running......it's just not true, especially for people with god run genetics and aptitude.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-15 12:09 PM

2014-02-15 12:08 PM
in reply to: DannyII

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by DannyII

I have looked at the BarryP training plan in depth, and liked it, but wondered how to incorporate it and keep cycling, swimming, a job and a happy wife all at the same time.

I found that starting it in the ``off season``, when you can afford to reduce swim and bike help a lot
If you find a way to better incorporate into your daily routine, like the short runs before morning shower, or run from work or....that really helps a lot.
2014-02-15 6:52 PM

User image

My only beef is with folks who think there is only one way to get fast running......it's just not true, especially for people with god run genetics and aptitude.

It seems to me that YOU think there is only one way to get faster, don't you?

I never said there was only one way. I just said that for MOST people who start running later in life, they will make more gains from building their aerobic base and doing only a small percentage of their running at higher intensities. And not every day. How you divide up the faster running depends on the individual, but there are ways that work well for many people.

I know I'll get injured if I do your teenage son's plan or even a version of it. Since I can't get much faster when I'm injured, I'll stick to my plan.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-02-15 6:52 PM
2014-02-15 7:33 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs
My only beef is with folks who think there is only one way to get fast running......it's just not true, especially for people with god run genetics and aptitude.
It seems to me that YOU think there is only one way to get faster, don't you? I never said there was only one way. I just said that for MOST people who start running later in life, they will make more gains from building their aerobic base and doing only a small percentage of their running at higher intensities. And not every day. How you divide up the faster running depends on the individual, but there are ways that work well for many people. I know I'll get injured if I do your teenage son's plan or even a version of it. Since I can't get much faster when I'm injured, I'll stick to my plan.

That's ridiculous.  If you will look at the thread you will see that I have said you can get "faster" by running more.  In fact, only 3 or 4 posts ago I respond to a poster that he will absolutely be faster by doubling his mileage.  I don't think you read all of the posts.....and that's cool, but then you can't make sweeping comments like you do, because they don't hold up.

Now I will say again........it is NOT just my teenage son's plan.  He is extremely well coached and monitored by his coaches.....but they also coach older, slower runners, and the basic principles are the same.  You may not even recognize that we are actually having the same discussion we had a few months ago about run "strength" training......that's all this is.  You can't get wrapped up in "intensity" and "frequency" or you will miss the really good stuff.  If you want to run fast, you have to train fast and become a stronger runner. 

If you like your way and your plan then by all means stay the course........but there are other ways.....it's not arguable.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-15 7:37 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run training question - Zone 2 vs. getting faster Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

FTP cycling zones vs. CPxx zones

Started by Plissken74
Views: 2004 Posts: 5

2010-03-09 9:08 PM Gaarryy

Comfort Zone - Running Faster Plan

Started by irondog
Views: 1209 Posts: 10

2014-02-13 10:30 PM Left Brain

Run faster vs. Run longer

Started by kromanowski
Views: 2614 Posts: 25

2008-09-25 2:27 PM qrkid

LT test and zone 2 training zone for long runs

Started by Simon de Kerpel
Views: 2500 Posts: 20

2006-11-02 10:53 AM mikericci

Bike Zone vs. Run Zone

Started by oipolloi
Views: 911 Posts: 3

2006-08-10 9:24 AM amiine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2012
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is there an 8-12 week plan to improve technique and strength on the bike, with some running in it as well?

date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.

date : September 24, 2007
comments : 1
This article will show you how to construct a run training program for your second season of running using your calculated heart-rate zones.
date : November 7, 2006
author : mikericci
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.

date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.