Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-08-01 4:18 PM
in reply to: flanag

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Challenge New Albany

Originally posted by flanag I wasn't too excited by the race either. I thought by HFP standards, it was a great race. It was well put together, more volunteers than an HFP race, and better crowd support than most HFP races. Problem was that this wasn't a standard HFP race, it was a Challenge branded race operated by HFP with a much higher entry fee. And I wasn't judging it by HFP standards, but by WTC and Rev3 standards which charge the same amount. Roads seemed fine (Especially compared to Deer Creek or even Rev3 Cedar Point). What's odd is that the WTC 5i50 Giant Eagle event were also operated by HFP, but felt much bigger and had more hype and I just left thinking "what an awesome event we have here in in town, can't wait to do it next year". I don't have that same feeling about Challenge New Albany. Anyway, Chris, I don't know how you can complain about that run (it was deceptively hilly and hot/humid). You rocked this race! I can't believe you missed the podium. Your time is impressive considering the net uphill bike with some headwinds and the 6.8 mile run course. Great job! -Kevin

Another thing very notably missing was vendor support.  This was a Gatorade Endurance sponsored event, and you couldn't even buy a Gatorade after the race... there was nothing anywhere except a very large inflatable.  This, I believe, was another item among the long list of things Shannon said they were already targeting to improve for next year.   I think that simply getting more of a turnout from the locals to turn it into more of a party/rocking atmosphere would go a long way toward changing the whole vibe.

I was shocked as anything that I was actually ahead of you!  After the way you smoked me and left me in the dust last year at Caesar Creek and again at Rev3, I was SURE that I was chasing you somewhere on the bike.  When we passed on the run, I was kinda dumbfounded!

Both 2nd & 3rd place in AG passed me on the run... I over-biked a bit and was flat on that run.  I've been doing 7:30's/mile in training (as my aerobic pace), and struggled for what I had on race day (Garmin had me at 7:54/mi for 6.81 miles).  Missed 3rd by 32 seconds, 2nd by 90 seconds.  It was a good learning experience

2014-08-01 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by flanag

Roads seemed fine (Especially compared to Deer Creek or even Rev3 Cedar Point).

-Kevin

Sorry for off top, Kevin, but what is wrong with REV3 Cedar Point roads?
( I did not race there, but will do. )
2014-08-03 5:00 PM
in reply to: trig

User image

Dublin, OH
trig,

Cedar Point roads aren't bad (and that's my point), only issue with Cedar point roads are the bumpiness for the first 4 miles on the way out (which is also the last 4 miles on the way back) and the occasional stretch of chip and seal.

I heard some complaints about the Challenge NA bike course being rough, I though it was really nice compared to other races.

Good luck at Rev3 CP, It is a great race. I was going to do it since it's my favorite, but I need to duck out of it.

-Kevin

2014-08-04 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
I actually enjoyed the bike course, there was a steady group of bikers near me all day. I played leap frog with two different riders for a large portion of the ride so that was enjoyable. I would pass them in flats but had a tough time climbing because of my foot. I felt that the roads were well manned by volunteers and never thought I was off track.

I am not sure how anyone could say the run was lonely, there were runners everywhere I actually thought it was too congested and should have been more on the street instead of the sidewalk. As far as the community involvement on the run it was very low for sure. But I do not race for people to look at me, so that never crossed my mind.

My foot really hurt me on the run so that was torture.

I have done 5150 and Nautica events, this was no where near the big time feel that those put off and if that is what they are trying to accomplish then they have a looong way to go. From the packet pickup and vendors to the in race atmosphere to the post race everything would need to be stepped up ten fold. They should venture over to Chicago and see how that race is handled and take notes. That event takes over the area and makes you feel like a superstar.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Challenge New Albany Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Great Buckeye Challenge 2013 - new bike course

Started by trig
Views: 1838 Posts: 2

2013-08-27 8:06 AM just_tri_to_finish

Great Buckeye Challenge or Toyota Challenge?

Started by just_tri_to_finish
Views: 1537 Posts: 7

2010-02-17 3:26 PM Cliner9er

Great Buckeye Challenge- 8/24 Pages: 1 2

Started by amyro1234
Views: 3447 Posts: 45

2008-08-26 8:51 PM etknowles

Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek 9/23

Started by DieuEtMonDroit
Views: 1603 Posts: 16

2007-09-21 1:05 PM ohiost90

Great Buckeye Challenge

Started by chrisrunzs26
Views: 1209 Posts: 6

2007-08-18 11:11 AM chrisrunzs26
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.

date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : August 31, 2004
WAYNESVILLE, Ohio (August 22, 2004) Professional triathlete Felipe Bastos (BRA/USA) took another trip to Ohio this weekend...